Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    2018 Albums
    • I’ve given Evolution by Disturbed a few listens now. I’ve been listening to the deluxe version, so a few extra songs.

I’m surprised This Venom isn’t on the base album, it’s one of the better ones in my opinion.

Album starts off very, very strong with Are You Ready. It’s someone deceiving though. It sets you up to think you’re getting another samey Disturbed album. A little more electronic stuff, but the song isn’t a huge deviation from the previous stuff. But the deeper you get in, the more the album lives up to the title Evoultion. There’s a lot of softer stuff here, and honestly, they’re for the most part the best songs on the album. A Reason To Fight, Hold Onto Memories in particular were standouts to me.
      This one isn’t as hard and fast as their previous, and the heavier songs aren’t quite as good on Evolution, but the album really shines with its softer stuff. I think some heavy metal fans are going to be upset with the album, but I think if you just take it at face value for what it is, it’s pretty good.
    • Here's everything new that I've listened to from this year since I last updated in August:

2 Mello - Memories of Tokyo-To: An Ode to Jet Set Radio
      2 Mello - Trunk Fiction
      Anderson .Paak - Oxnard
      Ariana Grande - Sweetener
      BROCKHAMPTON - iridescence
      Joey Purp - QUARTERTHING
      joji - Ballads 1
      Justin Courtney Pierre - In the Drink
      Kali Uchis - Isolation
      Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
      Kami - Very Slight
      Keiichi Okabe - Orchestral arrangements of music from NieR and NieR: Automata
      Leo Kalyan - The Edge
      Lil Peep - Come Over When You're Sober, Pt. 2
      Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE
      maiko, GENTLE LOVE - Prescription for Sleep: Celeste
      Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - No New World
      mewithoutYou - [Untitled]
      Noname - Room 25
      Saintseneca - Pillar of Na
      Snail Mail - Lush
      teddy<3 - LillyAnna
      Vince Staples - FM!
    • Wardruna released an album called "Skald" today. It's skaldic renditions of some of their songs. It's more or less what Einar Selvik's been performing when traveling to places alone. I've heard them live a few times and I love his work. (Wardruna is Norse-inspired music featuring old instruments)

And I might add that this came out just in time to keep me sane at work during black friday.

May your deeds live on in song

The post was edited 1 time, last by Moriquendi ().

• Galedeep wrote:

Holden wrote:

Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE
      How is this? I added it to my library but removed it after about a month having not listened to it because I don't have like two straight hours free to sit down and listen to a Lupe Fiasco record in 2018.
      Much better than DROGAS Light. Overall, I like it but it hasn't compelled me to listen to it much since its release like Tetsuo & Youth did.

2 Holden 2 Art ★ Signature from Cucumber Quest ★ #faroreguerrilla ★

The post was edited 1 time, last by Holden ().

• goronmario wrote:

is QUARTERTHING worth picking up?
      I think so, yeah. Joey's a really exciting rapper. I like iiiDrops slightly more, but they're hard to compare because Joey's tuning into different influences on QUARTERTHING. The mixing is weird sometimes but in general I like it all the way through.

Here's my favorite song from the album:

2 Holden 2 Art ★ Signature from Cucumber Quest ★ #faroreguerrilla ★

The post was edited 2 times, last by Holden ().

• 55. Vince Staples - FM!
      56. All Get Out - No Bouquet
      57. Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s - Vulgar in the Chapel
      58. Hanson - String Theory
      59. Anderson .Paak - Oxnard
      60. Big K.R.I.T. - Thrice X EP
      61. Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs

That's likely a wrap on my master list before compiling my best-of year-end list (which is already in process)! Still a couple late-entry things of note - that Vince Staples project is really really good. The highly anticipated Anderson .Paak album was really kinda disappointingly average. Richard Edwards is a weird songwriting monster, releasing another 12 b-sides and demos from the Animal!/Not Animal era of Margot & the Nuclear So and So's after already releasing two albums' worth of b-sides and demos from that era a couple years ago. Dude could build a house out of all the drives of material he has, I bet.
    • Heyyyy it's the end of the year! Time for a new list in this thread about lists.

First, some late-year EPs to round out my collection this year:

Display Spoiler
      62. Good Old War - Part of Us EP
      63. Big K.R.I.T. - Double Down EP
      64. Big K.R.I.T. - TRIFECTA EP

Full list is available here

Overall this was a pretty good year for music, for me. It's always nice when some of the stuff that gets me most excited are new discoveries vs the old standbys, though favourites putting out more great music is always a plus...and of course disappointing when they don't quite measure up. This was a year that felt like a good mix of both, with nothing totally letting me down but still quite a few new arrivals in my library.

Looking at my top albums of the year, it's an interesting mix of artists that threw back to older sounds with their own spin on it, or managed to capture a sense of time or place, and artists who pushed themselves forward, continuing to grow and evolve and impress.

Starting with the honorable mentions, unranked:

Screaming Females - All At Once

One of the first albums I heard this year, and one I found myself returning to pretty regularly. A punky garage rock record that is just solid all around.

Metric - Art of Doubt

Metric has had their ups and downs since putting out their seminal release, Fantasies, almost ten years ago. They've remained somewhat consistent, but their past couple of albums haven't come near to highs of their earlier material. Art of Doubt sees the band returning to a refreshed stadium rock sound that puts them back near the top of their game.

Jack White - Boarding House Reach

I thought I knew what to expect from a Jack White album, but it turns out the former White Stripe still has a few tricks up his sleeve in this more experimental outing. With a new Raconteurs record on the way in 2019, he could be poised for a real resurgence.

Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers & Lucy Dacus - Boygenius EP

A beautiful collection of songs from three of the strongest young singer-songwriters working today.

Vince Staples - FM!

Extremely enjoyable listen front-to-back, a really interesting take on the shorter length albums that were somewhat prevalent this year.

Found Wild - Found Wild EP

Good Old War released three EPs over the past two years, but this project featuring 2/3 of the group and a harder lean into a country sound is what I returned to the most.

Jeff Rosenstock - POST-

Released on New Year's Day 2018, Rosenstock opens the album by accusing, "Et tu, USA?" and ends it howling that "we're not gonna let them win!" After the crapsack year, those messages ring just as loud at the close of the year than at the start.

Ólafur Arnalds - re:member

My favourite modern composer continues to do experiments that bear much fruit.

mewithoutYou - [untitled] EP

I thought this softer collection of songs that served as a prelude to their proper album would be hard to top, and it was.

And Now the Top Ten

The Night Game - The Night Game

I have never listened to Martin Johnson's main project, Boys Like Girls, but this release came out of nowhere and dominated my Fall season listening. This record drips with nostalgia in a way that a lot of artists try to capture, but few manage to succeed. Here, every track feels like a trip down memory lane.

Richard Edwards - Verdugo

Edwards' makes up for the fact that his health prevents him from touring by being insanely prolific, putting out his second album in as many years. While the highs on this one aren't quite at the same level as last years' Lemon Cotton Candy Sunset, Edwards remains one of the most consistently good songwriters working.

Noname - Room 25

Even in the few years since her debut album, Noname has grown a lot as an artist. Her rapping, though still styled heavily like spoken word, is more confident, there's a bit more swagger and a bit more assurance than before. Her production choices remain top-notch and entirely unique. She remains one of my favourite artists to follow in hip-hop.

(Noname has indicated she plans to change the original album artwork due to the artists' arrest related to domestic assault allegations, so I've gone with a placeholder image.)

The boy band released too much music last year for me to get a handle on, but after a tumultuous year of having to scrap recordings left and right and several changes in album titles and concepts, the collective put out a record that puts their best foot forward. Showcasing the group together and as individuals in a way that excites me more than all the buzz they drummed up last year with the Saturation trilogy.

Dizzy - Baby Teeth

I caught Dizzy opening for a band I went to see last year and even though they were at the tail end of their set, they managed to capture my attention with their dreamy-yet-catchy mellowed-out indie rock. I kept an eye on them for when they dropped an album, and Baby Teeth ended up exceeding all of my expectations and then some. This album captures the feeling of growing up in a quiet suburb so well that it feels like something I've not only lived, but can appreciate - as bizarre as that sounds.

SOPHIE - OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES

While already making a name for herself as a producer for Charli XCX, Vince Staples, and more, Sophie's debut album is an incredible showcase of her sound and sensibilities. Her takes run the gamut from pop ballads to jittery sex club bangers (...) and each track feels like a glimpse into the future of art pop and pop music as a whole.

Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog

While frontwoman Frances Quinlan's voice is what drew me to the band with their previous album (and it's as strong as ever on here, though not quite as raw), her lyricism is what impressed me the most with this record. An immaculate story-teller, she's able to paint portraits of people, scenarios, and ideas that she then delivers achingly and powerfully.

Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer

Could Monáe somehow have been underrated even with all the acclaim her previous two albums have received? Apparently so, cause this record feels like we're in a whole different league.

Now, Now - Saved

I checked this album out on something of a whim because it was getting the right kind of buzz in a small musical community, and in spite of the hype it had been getting it somehow managed to match and exceed those expectations. This album is an indie pop masterpiece, with a band firing on all cylinders of musicianship, production, vocals, and songwriting.

The EP was described as the clam before the storm, and when the storm arrived it still managed to be unexpected. An album that I returned to so often not just because I wanted to, but because it felt like I was compelled to. It's insane and raw and powerful and devastating and I can't stop listening to it.

And that's all she wrote. Hoping others will share their favourite albums they heard this year, and excited for what 2019 has to bring...in addition to having to start putting together an album of the decades list, given it's that time again already somehow.

Yay, lists!
    • Galedeep wrote:

Heyyyy it's the end of the year! Time for a new list in this thread about lists.

First, some late-year EPs to round out my collection this year:

Display Spoiler
      62. Good Old War - Part of Us EP
      63. Big K.R.I.T. - Double Down EP
      64. Big K.R.I.T. - TRIFECTA EP

Full list is available here

Overall this was a pretty good year for music, for me. It's always nice when some of the stuff that gets me most excited are new discoveries vs the old standbys, though favourites putting out more great music is always a plus...and of course disappointing when they don't quite measure up. This was a year that felt like a good mix of both, with nothing totally letting me down but still quite a few new arrivals in my library.

Looking at my top albums of the year, it's an interesting mix of artists that threw back to older sounds with their own spin on it, or managed to capture a sense of time or place, and artists who pushed themselves forward, continuing to grow and evolve and impress.

Starting with the honorable mentions, unranked:

Screaming Females - All At Once

One of the first albums I heard this year, and one I found myself returning to pretty regularly. A punky garage rock record that is just solid all around.

Metric - Art of Doubt

Metric has had their ups and downs since putting out their seminal release, Fantasies, almost ten years ago. They've remained somewhat consistent, but their past couple of albums haven't come near to highs of their earlier material. Art of Doubt sees the band returning to a refreshed stadium rock sound that puts them back near the top of their game.

Jack White - Boarding House Reach

I thought I knew what to expect from a Jack White album, but it turns out the former White Stripe still has a few tricks up his sleeve in this more experimental outing. With a new Raconteurs record on the way in 2019, he could be poised for a real resurgence.

Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers & Lucy Dacus - Boygenius EP

A beautiful collection of songs from three of the strongest young singer-songwriters working today.

Vince Staples - FM!

Extremely enjoyable listen front-to-back, a really interesting take on the shorter length albums that were somewhat prevalent this year.

Found Wild - Found Wild EP

Good Old War released three EPs over the past two years, but this project featuring 2/3 of the group and a harder lean into a country sound is what I returned to the most.

Jeff Rosenstock - POST-

Released on New Year's Day 2018, Rosenstock opens the album by accusing, "Et tu, USA?" and ends it howling that "we're not gonna let them win!" After the crapsack year, those messages ring just as loud at the close of the year than at the start.

Ólafur Arnalds - re:member

My favourite modern composer continues to do experiments that bear much fruit.

mewithoutYou - [untitled] EP

I thought this softer collection of songs that served as a prelude to their proper album would be hard to top, and it was.

And Now the Top Ten

The Night Game - The Night Game

I have never listened to Martin Johnson's main project, Boys Like Girls, but this release came out of nowhere and dominated my Fall season listening. This record drips with nostalgia in a way that a lot of artists try to capture, but few manage to succeed. Here, every track feels like a trip down memory lane.

Richard Edwards - Verdugo

Edwards' makes up for the fact that his health prevents him from touring by being insanely prolific, putting out his second album in as many years. While the highs on this one aren't quite at the same level as last years' Lemon Cotton Candy Sunset, Edwards remains one of the most consistently good songwriters working.

Noname - Room 25

Even in the few years since her debut album, Noname has grown a lot as an artist. Her rapping, though still styled heavily like spoken word, is more confident, there's a bit more swagger and a bit more assurance than before. Her production choices remain top-notch and entirely unique. She remains one of my favourite artists to follow in hip-hop.

(Noname has indicated she plans to change the original album artwork due to the artists' arrest related to domestic assault allegations, so I've gone with a placeholder image.)

The boy band released too much music last year for me to get a handle on, but after a tumultuous year of having to scrap recordings left and right and several changes in album titles and concepts, the collective put out a record that puts their best foot forward. Showcasing the group together and as individuals in a way that excites me more than all the buzz they drummed up last year with the Saturation trilogy.

Dizzy - Baby Teeth

I caught Dizzy opening for a band I went to see last year and even though they were at the tail end of their set, they managed to capture my attention with their dreamy-yet-catchy mellowed-out indie rock. I kept an eye on them for when they dropped an album, and Baby Teeth ended up exceeding all of my expectations and then some. This album captures the feeling of growing up in a quiet suburb so well that it feels like something I've not only lived, but can appreciate - as bizarre as that sounds.

SOPHIE - OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES

While already making a name for herself as a producer for Charli XCX, Vince Staples, and more, Sophie's debut album is an incredible showcase of her sound and sensibilities. Her takes run the gamut from pop ballads to jittery sex club bangers (...) and each track feels like a glimpse into the future of art pop and pop music as a whole.

Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog

While frontwoman Frances Quinlan's voice is what drew me to the band with their previous album (and it's as strong as ever on here, though not quite as raw), her lyricism is what impressed me the most with this record. An immaculate story-teller, she's able to paint portraits of people, scenarios, and ideas that she then delivers achingly and powerfully.

Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer

Could Monáe somehow have been underrated even with all the acclaim her previous two albums have received? Apparently so, cause this record feels like we're in a whole different league.

Now, Now - Saved

I checked this album out on something of a whim because it was getting the right kind of buzz in a small musical community, and in spite of the hype it had been getting it somehow managed to match and exceed those expectations. This album is an indie pop masterpiece, with a band firing on all cylinders of musicianship, production, vocals, and songwriting.

The EP was described as the clam before the storm, and when the storm arrived it still managed to be unexpected. An album that I returned to so often not just because I wanted to, but because it felt like I was compelled to. It's insane and raw and powerful and devastating and I can't stop listening to it.

And that's all she wrote. Hoping others will share their favourite albums they heard this year, and excited for what 2019 has to bring...in addition to having to start putting together an album of the decades list, given it's that time again already somehow.

Yay, lists!
      Good list. Sophie's album was my favorite this year. But much love goes out to Hop Along, Jeff Rosenstock, Snail Mail, and Soccer Mommy for some stellar rock albums.

mewithoutYou's record was a little underwhelming for me, personally. Half of the tracks are some of their fiercest since their old days, but the other half are pretty dull.
      [SIZE="1"]THIS PLANE IS DEFINITELY CRASHING![/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE="1"]THIS BOAT IS OBVIOUSLY SINKING![/SIZE]