Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    2018 Albums
    • There is definitely a very upbeat fun vibe with Kids See Ghost, which is something I found refreshing. But there is some sort of inconsistency with it, that I find hard to go back and listen to regularly.

But your description of Daytona is very apt for it. "Solid" is probably the best word to describe it. It just feels the most... complete? (for lack of a better word) than the rest.
      Well, let’s just say it’s ironic how footage of someone being born can make you want to kill yourself.
    • First quick update on the list of stuff I've listened to but definitely need more time with:

32. SOPHIE - Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides
      33. Florence + The Machine - High As Hope
      34. Gorillaz - The Now Now

And now a mid-year status report.

In terms of pure numbers, I've checked out about six more release this year than I did at this time last year. BUT I'd say there were more albums released by this point last year that I was really enjoying, while this year there's a lot I'm liking, but far less I'm loving.

For posterity, here's the full list of albums I've checked out this year. I've bolded anything that I feel like has year-end list potential and crossed out anything I'm either confident won't be making an appearance on my end-year list in any form, or that I'm probably going to end up removing from my library because of lack of interest in continuing to listen to them:

Display Spoiler

1. Jeff Rosenstock - POST-
      2. Elizabeth Gundersen - Elephant Heart
      3. Hussey - Hitchens
      4. Tune-Yards - I can feel you creep into my private life
      5. The Shins - The Worm’s Heart
      6. EDEN - vertigo
      7. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers
      8. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
      9. Various Artists - Black Panther: The Album, Music from and Inspired By
      10. Good Old War - Part of You EP
      11. Screaming Females - All At Once
      12. Logic - Bobby Tarantino II
      13. Jack White - Boarding House Reach
      14. The Lawrence Arms - We Are the Champions of the World: The Best Of
      15. Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog
      16. Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy
      17. J. Cole - KOD
      18. Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
      19. Cary Brothers - Bruises
      20. Jimmy Eat World - Love Never / half heart (single)
      21. Now, Now - Saved
      22. CHVRCHES - Love Is Dead
      23. Father John Misty - God’s Favorite Customer
      24. Richard Edwards - Verdugo
      25. Tiny Stills - Laughing into the Void
      26. Kanye West - ye
      27. clipping. - Face EP (reissue)
      28. KIDS SEE GHOSTS - KIDS SEE GHOSTS
      29. Neko Case - Hell-On
      30. Jay Rock - Redemption
      31. The Carters - EVERYTHING IS LOVE
      32. SOPHIE - Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides
      33. Florence + The Machine - High As Hope
      34. Gorillaz - The Now Now

At this point I'd say Now, Now and Janelle Monae have put out my favourite albums so far this year, with Hop Along as a dark horse candidate that could compete for the top spot. But all three of the recent albums I included at the top of this post have intrigued me in my minimal exposure to them, and there''s still hopefully more to come this year.

Overall I'd say it's been somewhat underwhelming, and I think a lot of my general malaise toward some of the releases I'd usually be more hyped for has a lot to do with that. Kanye's recent public statements made listening to any of his projects released in the past few months a challenge, even outside of finding the ones I did check out a little lacklustre. Even something like a Jay and Bey collaboration album that should have been a monster ends up feeling shallow after a few listens - paling in comparison to something like Lemonade.

Not a lot of what I'm looking forward to has release dates, but if teasing is to be believed there should be a Chance the Rapper album or two coming out down the line, and I'm really holding out for mewithoutYou to put out their new record in the fall. I could sure use it.
    • I just listened to Zeal & Ardor - Stranger Fruit

I’ve never really heard anything like it. It’s kinda soul wrapped in black metal with a bit of light hip hop. I think. I’m not even really sure. Haha.

I’m not really sure what to make of it yet. I’ll have to give it another listen after sitting on it a bit.
    • BROCKHAMPTON dropped a new single today.

I fucking love it.

I love 1998 TRUMAN. I love 1999 WILDFIRE. I. FUCKING. LOVE. THIS. If the album is more of this then it will probably be my album of the year. Holy shit.

Also, Ameer Vann getting kicked out of the group was seen as a major blow to their talent but I disagree. This has given an incredible opportunity for members of the group like Joba to step up and step the fuck up he has. He's easily put out his best work with the group with these past two singles, in my honest opinion, and it's so fantastic.

It's so fantastic.

• 35. Converge - Beautiful Ruin EP
      36. Found Wild - Found Wild EP
      37. The Essex Green - Hardly Electronic
      38. Mythless - Patience Hell EP

So it's been a slow month. Slow enough that I started checking out the weekly "new music recommended for you" type playlists that streaming services curate. It's actually yielded a couple investigations into new music from artists I hadn't heard of, but ultimately only one got added to my library for deeper listening. The Essex Green is a bit of a throwback act, but they're fun and catchy and remind me of Stars in a lot of ways. Problem is while I overall like their record, it runs a bit long and think they could have done some editing to get a tighter release.

And shout out to the band Asylums whose record I ultimately didn't like, but the track "When We Wake Up" is one of the catchiest pop-rock songs I've heard in awhile:

Other than that it's EPs all the way down. I was doing my bi-annual search for what the heck happened to Fang Island and found out one of the members has a new project, so that's where that Mythless EP came from. But Found Wild is actually what dominated my listening this month, another Good Old War spin-off project that treads closer to the country territory.

August is looking to be relatively slow as well, but some new releases got announced for September and October so things should pick up.
    • It's been a while since I've updated, I think the last thing was Big Wave More Fire? Anyways, I've listened to a shit ton of stuff and I'm only going to highlight the memorable stuff.

Daytona: Pusha T - easily the best of the Kanye produced albums. Pusha T was just on point throughout the entirety of the album, production was tight, and it was just all around great. It wasn't ground breaking but it was good.

Ye was some hot garbage.

Goodbye & Good Riddance: Juice WRLD - probably one of the better albums I've heard this year. The narrative is honestly what makes it; I like that it approaches the "breakup album" from a different angle, and it explores male psychology in a way that not much music does. It truly shows that destructive nature of how males cope irl with the MC literally just rapping about destroying himself as he tries to move on. I think it's worth a listen if you enjoy trap music, but this probably more similar to that "emo t/rap" that a lot of newer artists are picking up on (like Trippie Redd). that being said: I think it's fairly interesting that this emo trend is kinda coming back, except this time it's in rap and not rock. haha

Trapholizay - Zaytoven: nothing special, it just bumps super hard

TESTING - A$AP Rocky: rocky is consistently one of the better A$AP members of the group. i like how he's really branching out his style and doing things not really considered "normal" with trap. it was a lot more.. arty? than you'd expect this kind of thing to be. there were a lot of things that could be better - production, for one - but Rocky consistently hits some nice bars that elevates the whole thing. it does feel like it could be a lot better, though

The Marina - Curren$y: best album from Curren$y ever, hands down. it's very similar to Daytona, I think, in that it's just a super tight production with a rap vet coming with some hard verses. worth a listen imo

KIDS SEE GHOSTS - KIDS SEE GHOSTS: worth it for Cudi, Kanye honestly brings it down except for that ridiculous intro where he's just sitting there screaming. everything cudi did was perfection, though, and the production was the most interesting/varied of the kanye albums imo

The Now Now - Gorillaz: much better than their previous record, but i think it's still missing that "gorillaz" feel from way back when. i just don't think there's anything spectacular on or about this album, it's just.. solid. not a disappointment, but not really wow'd by anything either

Scorpion - Drake: too long. has some nice moments

I'm All Ears - Let's Eat Grandma: this album is weird as fuck and good as fuck. one of the best surprises of the year, imo. second favorite alternative record this year besides TWRP's release

21st Century Liability - YUNGBLUD: basically same thing as I'm All Ears, but a little bit weirder and i'm not as sure what to think of it

NAGA - B.o.B: this just gets an honorable mention because i always pick up a B.o.B album hoping he captures some of that magic he had from early on in his career, and somehow he's always worse than before. he's like Chief Keef but older.

SYRE: THE ELECTRIC ALBUM - Jaden Smith: this is super fucking good. it does so many interesting/cool things that i cant even get into, and even it's just remixes they are some solid fucking remixes. even calling them remixes kind of does it injustice because you won't even tell they're the same songs aside from some lyrics you'll recognize

TA13OO - Denzel Curry: this album started off by giving me some Kendrick Lamar Overly Dedicated vibes and then quickly went downhill by around track 4. started off on such a good note, too

Swimming - Mac Miller: i want to spend some more time with this, but it's good

BOOT - Col3trane: best RnB album since last years Sampha project. it's not AS good as Process, i think it feels a bit rushed, but it's not too far off imo

aside from that i still have a couple albums from today i wanna get into. hopefully they are good, haha. this year has felt super slow compared to last-- i just want some new Brockhampton or a surprise Kendrick release at this point
    • 39. mewithoutYou - [untitled] EP
      40. Dizzy - Baby Teeth
      41. Jamie T - B Sides (06-17)
      42. Ólafur Arnalds - re:member

When it rains, it pours.

After months of snapchat stories and vague tweets, podcast interviews and other general teasing, my favourite band in the world dropped a single on a Monday, then released an EP and announced an album on Friday. Predictably, I love the EP and can't wait for the album.

That same day also had two more unexpected releases. I saw the band Dizzy open for Bleachers some months back, and even though I only caught the end of their set I really liked what I heard. So when I saw they had dropped their debut album when browsing new releases I checked it out, and happily I totally dig it - it's really chilled out nighttime music.

Of all things I got a notification on my phone Saturday afternoon alerting me that Jamie T had released a B sides compilation. One of my complaints with Apple Music is that it does a bad job of informing me when artists I listen to release new music, even though it obviously knows everything I listen to. I don't think I've ever received a notification from the app before, so not sure how it knew to share this very relevant news with me now...but I'm not complaining.

Oh, right, the music. It's good. It's fun to hear new songs that span Jamie's career. It's like a mini-trip down memory lane but with new discoveries rather than old favourites.

Ólafur Arnalds is a very good neo-classical composer. Just got his new album so have only listened to it once, but I'll probably enjoy it just as much as all his other stuff.
    • I haven't updated my list since February and tbh I have not listened to a ton this year I guess. Here's the additions to my list::

Beyoncé & JAY-Z - EVERYTHING IS LOVE
      Blood Orange - Negro Swan*
      Florence + The Machine - High As Hope
      The Internet - Hive Mind*
      Jamie T - B Sides (06 - 17)*
      Lydia - Liquor
      mewithoutyou - [untitled] e.p.
      Now, Now - Saved
      Pusha T - Daytona
      Richard Edwards - Verdugo

*Designates that I haven't listened to these yet

Anik Khan just put out a new single that I am all about:

• Beat at my own game, huh? I'll take it though.

Love Yourself: Answer

Well, I do really enjoy 'IDOL' and the music video. BTS told us that it was going to be very different from anything they've done before and well, they were right. Both musically and video wise it is very different and unexpected, which I consider a good thing. I love that music video. It's so bizarre and colorful. I can't say that I particularly enjoy Nicki Minaj's rap in the featured version of the song, but I do appreciate that it's not super intrusive to the rest of it and it acts like more of an added bonus of sorts (before we heard it me and some others I know thought they'd cut out a member's verse and put in hers or something, which they didn't).

Additionally, I really enjoy all the new songs on it, my favorites being all the Trivia songs by the rappers of the group. Out of the three I can't isolate yet another to be my favorite too, too hard to choose. Oh, and the full length version of 'Serendipity' is on an entirely new level, of course I'm in love with that song, it was one of my favorites before we got the rest of it (I can't believe they hid two minutes of the whole thing from me), so obviously I love it more now.

'I'm Fine' and 'Euphoria' are both great. I wasn't expecting 'I'm Fine' to be a continuation of 'Save Me' like that (though I probably should've). 'Euphoria' is an amazing intro and Jin as always did an amazing job. His voice suits ballads so well.

Otherwise, the rest of the music on the album is all songs we've heard before, it is a repackage of the other Love Yourself albums after all (well, most of the songs, at least, not all of them are there).

I guess I'm not quite sure how this album quite wraps up the Love Yourself/HYYH story though? I'm suspecting that maybe I'm Fine has a music video possibly coming later down the line. Otherwise, I'm just not sure. That could be me being incompetent though and the music video for IDOL is actually the end, which would be interesting to try and figure out.
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /

Post by goronmario ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • I'm super in love with the new BROCKHAMPTON

iridescence is fast becoming one of my favorite albums of all time-- the more i listen to it the better it gets. it just does so many little things that i fucking love, and the overall theme of the album is actually really neat in how they tell it from track to track. i love songs like BERLIN/WEIGHT/DISTRICT from a mechanical standpoint, the transition from NEW ORLEANS to THUG LIFE is just super fun, and the entire back half of the album where they're changing tone almost completely from the beginning of the middle is just really cool to me; it's also a real nice wind down from all the things you get through the first 10 tracks or so

the wait was worth it, and if there's nothing else good that comes out this year i'd be pretty satisfied tbh. i'm really excited for how they follow this up and where they take the trilogy from here, tbh, especially since they're going to have more experience as a group without Ameer moving forward

re:Ameer being out of the group i'm actually really pleased with the results?? like not only do we not have someone who abuses women, but the rest of the group - Joba, Dom, Merlyn - are all shining in this. AND BEARFACE RAPS.

def. recommend this to people curious about the band or who like rap/hip hop in general
    • 'bout time for an update.

43. The Night Game - The Night Game
      44. The Mountain Goats - Hex of Infinite Binding EP
      45. Steven Page - Discipline: Heal Thyself, Pt. II
      46. Noname - Room 25
      47. Metric - Art of Doubt
      48. BROCKHAMPTON - iridescence

The Night Game is a fun little 80s-inspired pop record that I checked out on a bit of a whim. I actually quite like it, the whole mellow-ish throwback pop seems to really be turning my crank this year. I kind of feel like the vibe of this record is what Cary Brothers was going for on his album, but didn't quite hit.

The new Noname record kind of snuck up on me, even though I adored Telefone from a couple years back. This isn't anything particularly new, though she's definitely stepped up her rap game. But I'm not going to complain when there's more of the same when the same is so good.

I need to spend more time with the new Metric, but initial impressions are that it's a really nice return to form that blends their classic guitar-based sound with the more synthy aspects of their latest stuff. I don't know if they'll ever be able to top Fantasies as a record, but I'm pretty sure "Dressed to Suppress" is the best song they've written since that album.

• 49. mewithoutYou - [Untitled]
      50. Hellogoodbye - S’only Natural
      51. Justin Courtney Pierre - In the Drink
      52. St. Vincent - MassEducation
      53. Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers & Lucy Dacus - Boygenius EP
      54. Brendan Kelly and the Wandering Birds - Keep Walkin’ Pal

We're in the home stretch! Time to turn my ears to all the past releases from this year and start putting the year-end list together. Likely still some more to come (definitely looking forward to Anderson .Paak in a few weeks), but the lion's share of the final list is done.

The past month had some pretty solid stuff. mewithoutYou's new album was a big contrast to the earlier released EP and has been growing on me a whole lot. Motion City Soundtrack's Justin Pierre's first solo record has a lot of what I love about him as a musician, but doesn't have that extra something that makes me love so much of his former band's material. The rearranged version of St. Vincent's MASSEDUCTION is really pretty.