Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    2018 Albums
    • I'm not going to detail every single album I listen to because it just got exhausting last year, instead I'll be mentioning notables and keeping track of them in this thread. i'm also probably going to listen to less new music overall; if i dont like something right away im not going to force myself to sit through it. similarly, if i stop enjoying it, it's gone. without further ado---

Notable 2018 Albums

EDEN - vertigo
      Burna Boy - Outside
      Skooly - Don't You Ever Forget
      Rich Brian - Amen
      Various Artists - Black Panther: The Album, Music from and Inspired By
      Nipsey Hussle - Victory Lap
      Towkio - WWW.

Tech N9ne - Planet
      Logic - Bobby Tarantino II
      Hype Turner - Dirty Tropix
      Diplo - California EP
      DJ ESCO - Kolorblind
      Harry Hudson - Yesterday's Tomorrow
      Jack White - Boarding House Reach
      E-40 & B-Legit - Connected and Respected
      Rainbow Kitten Surprise - How To: Friend, Love, Freefall
      Tom Misch - Geography
      Skizzy Mars - are you OK? EP
      J.Cole - KOD

bold-- AotY contender

first entry

vertigo is made by a singer/songwriter who combines elements of electronic music in it, and it's niceeee. it's a bit too slow for my liking, becoming a little too mellow/hollow in places; it's at it's best when it's fast-pased (e.g "Gold"), bringing in tempo and more emotion, it's fantastic. that said it's a solid album through and through.

Outside is a mixture of RnB/Hip-Hop/Afrobeats, created by a Nigerian singer/songwriter and dear God it's so fucking gooooooooooooood. it's so good. i love it so much. it has a lot of things that are "different" but the rhythm is just something i really vibe with, the vocals are great & unique, and it's just a really fun listen. it's something that, when i hear it, i just want to get up and DANCE. it's so great. i would recommend it to literally everybody. pls listen to it.

here's a song from Outside, just cause i like it:

Ask me for the clan test!

The post was edited 5 times, last by Solsetur ().

• Master list post:

1. Jeff Rosenstock - POST-
      2. Elizabeth Gundersen - Elephant Heart
      3. Hussey - Hitchens
      4. Tune-Yards - I can feel you creep into my private life
      5. The Shins - The Worm’s Heart
      6. EDEN - vertigo
      7. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers
      8. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
      9. Various Artists - Black Panther: The Album, Music from and Inspired By
      10. Good Old War - Part of You EP
      11. Screaming Females - All At Once
      12. Logic - Bobby Tarantino II
      13. Jack White - Boarding House Reach
      14. The Lawrence Arms - We Are the Champions of the World: The Best Of
      15. Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog
      16. Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy
      17. J. Cole - KOD
      18. Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
      19. Cary Brothers - Bruises
      20. Jimmy Eat World - Love Never / half heart (single)
      21. Now, Now - Saved
      22. CHVRCHES - Love Is Dead
      23. Father John Misty - God’s Favorite Customer
      24. Richard Edwards - Verdugo
      25. Tiny Stills - Laughing into the Void
      26. Kanye West - ye
      27. clipping. - Face EP (reissue)
      28. KIDS SEE GHOSTS - KIDS SEE GHOSTS
      29. Neko Case - Hell-On
      30. Jay Rock - Redemption
      31. The Carters - EVERYTHING IS LOVE
      32. SOPHIE - Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides
      33. Florence + The Machine - High As Hope
      34. Gorillaz - The Now Now
      35. Converge - Beautiful Ruin EP
      36. Found Wild - Found Wild EP
      37. The Essex Green - Hardly Electronic
      38. Mythless - Patience Hell EP
      39. mewithoutYou - [untitled] EP
      40. Dizzy - Baby Teeth
      41. Jamie T - B Sides (06-17)
      42. Ólafur Arnalds - re:member
      43. The Night Game - The Night Game
      44. The Mountain Goats - Hex of Infinite Binding EP
      45. Steven Page - Discipline: Heal Thyself, Pt. II
      46. Noname - Room 25
      47. Metric - Art of Doubt
      48. BROCKHAMPTON - iridescence
      49. mewithoutYou - [Untitled]
      50. Hellogoodbye - S’only Natural
      51. Justin Courtney Pierre - In the Drink
      52. St. Vincent - MassEducation
      53. Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers & Lucy Dacus - Boygenius EP
      54. Brendan Kelly and the Wandering Birds - Keep Walkin’ Pal
      55. Vince Staples - FM!
      56. All Get Out - No Bouquet
      57. Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s - Vulgar in the Chapel
      58. Hanson - String Theory
      59. Anderson .Paak - Oxnard
      60. Big K.R.I.T. - Thrice X EP
      61. Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
      62. Good Old War - Part of Us EP
      63. Big K.R.I.T. - Double Down EP
      64. Big K.R.I.T. - TRIFECTA EP

The post was edited 12 times, last by Galedeep ().

• I haven't been able to dedicate as much time to music listening as I'd like to this year, mostly cause my ears have been messed up in one way or another since early February. Hopefully that resolves soon.

Out of the ten releases I've checked out so far in 2018, only five are actually what I would call "proper" albums. Haven't listened to any of them enough to say if they're early contenders for album of the year status, but Jeff Rosenstock and Brian Fallon may have a shot, whereas that Tune-Yards record has virtually none - such a disappointment after how much I liked their last record.

Car Seat Headrest left a really solid first impression but it's a weird case since it's a complete re-recording of an older album, so not really sure how to consider it. Guess it depends on how much I end up liking it by the end of the year.

Lots of stuff to look forward to this year. Hop Along, Janelle Monae and Cary Brothers confirmed. Should be getting a new mewithoutYou album this year if history is any indication. Exciting stuff.
    • Panique wrote:

It's been out less than a week but GOOD MOOD by Ball Park Music will probably end up as my album of the year.

They're an Australian indie-ish band, little bit of pop, little bit moody, little bit fun, little bit of electro sounds in the new album. It's fantastic.
      ooh this sounds interesting imma pick it up!

I have a couple new things I've listened to will have a post about em later
    • What I've listened to since the last time I posted:

Skooly - Don't You Ever Forget
      Rich Brian - Amen
      Various Artists - Black Panther: The Album, Music from and Inspired By
      Nipsey Hussle - Victory Lap
      Towkio - WWW.

Notables from this list:

Various Artists / Nipsey Hussle / Towkio

Black Panther
      This album was great; I really enjoyed it from a production standpoint, and Kendrick Lamar's fingerprints throughout the entirety of the album can definitely be seen. It's *really good*. It does a lot of neat things, I never gets stale, and it feels like a full album when a lot of things like this (albums to complement a movie) don't quite.. feel the same way. My favorite track off the entire album has to be "X", primarily because Schoolboy Q/2 Chainz. They were both excellent. Everybody who made an appearance did a really solid performance overall, and I think that the best thing about the album was probably the things it drew from African music to really set it apart from your generic rap/pop style that I see when popular movies release an album.

It's not without it's faults. I think that it would have been better if it was a more cohesive thing altogether; having each artist(s) in their own self contained song works for the album but also leaves it feeling like a compilation of singles rather than each song being apart of something more. Kendrick Lamar was excellent in his appearances off the album, and it would have been nice if we could have seen more of that-- people weaving in and out of songs and blending everything together, rather than the individual songs being relatively contained from one another.

Victory Lap

Honestly I did not think I would like this. I've steered way clear of Nipsey Hussle's recent music, mostly because I found it wholly unpalatable, but I really enjoyed this. It's nothing groundbreaking, but he returns to his roots, brings back some of that good ole early 2000s gangsta rap, and does it really well. Some of the electronic things spliced in here and there make it different enough that a return to this old style doesn't get stale; his lyricism is excellent and the cameos he brought in were just as a whole really excellent.

WWW.

THIS ALBUM. WAS GREAT. I love it so much. It's branded as hip hop but it does so much more than that; it brings in elements of RnB, dance music/electronic, pop. It's just all around a really fun album that does really well in blending together a lot of different sounds. Compound that with Towkio as a lyricist and as a singer, along with really great secondary acts, and it's just the total package. It's probably going to remain one of my top 5 albums of the year. It's just so fun, and has a little of everything while still managing to do all of it well. I'd go in deeper but I think people should listen to it rather than have me given a five paragraph explanation of it.

In keeping with my last post, I'm going to stick a video of a song in here so that if anyone wants to check out what I like and see if maybe they'd like, they can. This time I'm gonna be leaving "2 Da Moon", a track off of Tokio's WWW. Really fun song, and I think it's a pretty good example of what the album is like*

*note the beginning of the track when he's literally just yelling; that's a carryover from the previous track on the album, and fits much better listening to them back to back. song stands on it's own other than that, though.

[i][/i]

• The new Janelle Monáe song is super good. Definitely looking forward to her album.

Sólsetur wrote:

WWW.

THIS ALBUM. WAS GREAT. I love it so much.
      It's surprisingly great! I say surprisingly because while I loved 2014's .wav Theory Towkio's Community Service 2 EP was kind of bad imo. I'm glad this is more the former than the latter.

Here's what I've listened to this year (last updated November 18)

2 Mello - Memories of Tokyo-To: An Ode to Jet Set Radio
      2 Mello - Trunk Fiction
      Anderson .Paak - Oxnard
      Ariana Grande - Sweetener
      Beyoncé & JAY-Z - EVERYTHING IS LOVE
      Blood Orange - Negro Swan
      BROCKHAMPTON - [i]iridescence[/i]
      Elizabeth Gundersen - Elephant Heart
      Fall Out Boy - MANIA
      Florence + The Machine - High As Hope
      Forth Wanderers - Forth Wanderers
      Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog
      The Internet - Hive Mind
      Jamie T - B Sides (06 - 17)
      Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
      Joey Purp - QUARTERTHING
      joji - Ballads 1
      Justin Courtney Pierre - [i]In the Drink[/i]
      Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
      Kali Uchis - Isolation
      Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth
      Kami - Very Slight
      Keiichi Okabe - Orchestral arrangements of music from [i]NieR and NieR: Automata[/i]
      Kendrick Lamar and others - Black Panther OST
      Kimbra - Primal Heart
      Lena Raine - Celeste OST
      Leo Kalyan - The Edge
      Lil Peep - [i]Come Over When You're Sober, Pt. 2[/i]
      Louie Zong - Various releases
      Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE
      Lydia - Liquor
      maiko, GENTLE LOVE - Prescription for Sleep: Celeste
      Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - No New World
      mewithoutyou - [untitled] e.p.
      mewithoutYou - [Untitled]
      Now, Now - Saved
      Pusha T - Daytona
      Richard Edwards - Verdugo
      Saba - Care For Me
      Saintseneca - [i]Pillar of Na[/i]
      Sean Han Tani and others - All Our Asias OST
      Snail Mail - Lush
      teddy<3 - LillyAnna
      Towkio - WWW.
      Vince Staples - FM!

2 Holden 2 Art ★ Signature from Cucumber Quest ★ #faroreguerrilla ★

The post was edited 4 times, last by Holden ().

• Holden wrote:

It's surprisingly great! I say surprisingly because while I loved 2014's .wav Theory Towkio's Community Service 2 EP was kind of bad imo. I'm glad this is more the former than the latter.
      well, ill be sure to ignore that if i ever decide to check out the rest of his discography :P

i feel like all new artists, especially ones who will end up doing "different" stuff end up having a bad album mixed in here and there - just kinda comes with the territory i guess? the good comes from learning what worked and what didn't work, and then reapplying

Holden wrote:

Fall Out Boy - MANIA
      is this work checking out? ive mostly ignored Fall Out Boy recently, but im always intrigued when they release something even if i never actually pick it up and give it a proper listen
    • Sólsetur wrote:

well, ill be sure to ignore that if i ever decide to check out the rest of his discography :P
      i feel like all new artists, especially ones who will end up doing "different" stuff end up having a bad album mixed in here and there - just kinda comes with the territory i guess? the good comes from learning what worked and what didn't work, and then reapplying
      that ep is just kind of like... it's all bad crew songs and groan-inducing rap bravado. totally forgettable.

is this work checking out? ive mostly ignored Fall Out Boy recently, but im always intrigued when they release something even if i never actually pick it up and give it a proper listen
      hmm it really depends on how much you like the other fob revival albums. it explores a new sound for the band and lyrically is better than the last two albums but it still falls short of their early albums. i think it's worth a listen but tbh i haven't listened to it much since it came out.
    • Monthly update time!

11. Screaming Females - All At Once
      12. Logic - Bobby Tarantino II
      13. Jack White - Boarding House Reach

Pretty slow month, relatively speaking, but can't complain when 2/3 of the releases are both so solid. I hadn't listened to much Screaming Females before, but their new record was getting good buzz so I checked it out on a whim, and it's really solid indie/garage rock. It's energetic, its catchy, it's got great vocals - what's not to like?

I wasn't expecting to like the new Jack White record. His first two solo releases are pretty bland, by-the-numbers, almost dad rock versions of his sound. Maybe a few decent tracks here and there. I listened to a couple pre-release tracks and despite the experimental/electronic influences it felt like more of the same with a bit of a gimmick to it. But I keep coming back to the album, which probably means I like it - though it's still hard to say where I'll land on it after I've spent more time with it over the next few months.
    • The new Kamelot album is available now. From the single Ravenlight, I thought this album was moving in the right direction. Preliminary, I know, but I stilll got my hopes up. It sounded like they were going back to Poetry for the Poisoned with this one. With a bit of Haven flair to it.

Display Spoiler
      I don’t dislike Tommy, and I’m not that bitter about Roy leaving, but man, this band is really changing with the last 3 albums.

I gave The Shadow Theory a quick listen, and while it’s not what I was hoping it would be after listening to the single, it’s not bad. Has some good high points. But it also goes too far into the orchestra stuff again. It’s not to the level of Haven though. They kinda took a small step back from that stuff and I like it.

You’ve got a few with a catchy hook, like Ravenlight, and then some really groovy, heavy and at times aggressive tracks, such as Amnesiac, Mindfall Remedy. This stuff comprises my high points.
      As with Haven though, there’s a few too many songs that are just way too over the top kinda melodramatic for me.

I think I just need to accept that the band is going in a different direction without Tommy. It’s good music, but I keep thinking it’s just not the same. I don’t think that’s really fair though. I’m really trying to not do that while I continue to listen to this one.
      Thoughts may change as I get further through. But for anyone who’s curious or likes Kamelot, I would suggest giving Mindfall Remedy a listen. If you were super into Haven, give Vespertine a go.

I’ll probably listen to this on and off over the next two or so months. So thoughts may change. Haha.
    • Back again, after a while. Got a lot to go through. I know I usually have one track at the end but I think I'm going to leave two since it's been so long~

Notables:

Tech N9ne - Planet
      Logic - Bobby Tarantino II
      Hype Turner - Dirty Tropix
      Diplo - California EP
      DJ ESCO - Kolorblind
      Harry Hudson - Yesterday's Tomorrow
      Jack White - Boarding House Reach
      E-40 & B-Legit - Connected and Respected
      Rainbow Kitten Surprise - How To: Friend, Love, Freefall
      Tom Misch - Geography
      Skizzy Mars - are you OK? EP
      J.Cole - KOD

General notes:

Tech N9ne had a ridiculous variety of sounds. As a whole the album didn't really speak to me but there are some *really* fucking great tracks mixed in there. It would be average if it weren't for the gems, and the gems are definitely standout.

Logic didn't really surprise or over impress me. I did like him trying the new style but I feel like it fell too flat. Like he took trap and didn't alter his rapping style to fit trap while also not altering the general trap formula to fit his rapping style. It felt clunky. It wasn't bad by any means, and I enjoyed quite a bit of it, though.

Diplo's EP was fantastic. Just all around really good from start to finish. All the features were excellent, just super solid all around. I can't really say anything else other than that it was catchy.

DJ ESCO/FUTURE was basically the same as what FUTURE has been releasing. Solid, quality was high, but nothing mind blowing. Did have some pretty good tracks mixed in though.

Jack White was interesting. I'd never really listened to him before but I enjoyed this enough to maybe check out his older stuff.

E-40: I'd never listened to an album by him before. The message was good and the music was solid but overall fairly forgettable. I feel like nothing really jumped out at you. Probably a victim of length.

Rainbow Kitten Surprise: Album was more solid than I expected it to be. The ending was meh, imo, but other than that the album was great.

Tom Misch is a fantastic singer songrwriter. If you told me he did all the instrumentals himself, that he recorded it in his bedroom, that he was originally just a producer of beats, I wouldn't fucking believe you. If you told me he only spent a year learning how to play the jazz guitar I wouldn't believe you. This album blew me away. It just sounds so you unique; the blend of jazz and soul with pop and elements of hip hop mixed in is just soooo satisfying. I live for the jazz guitar in this album. It's just soooooooooooooooooooooo good. It can be a tad stale at times, like around the middle things kind of blend together before breaking away for a strong end, but it's a unique production through and through and definitely worth checkig out.

Skizzy Mars: EP was okay. The third track is the only reason why I'm including it on the list of notables, because it was really good.

J.Cole: Loved the album. Not for everyone, probably, but I find the style Cole is exploring with this to be right in line with my tastes, the messages he's trying to portray are portrayed well, and it's deep enough to dive into if you want to while sounding good enough on the surface to just listen without needing to dive into any meanings if that's what you wanted to do. The Outro is my favorite track but there's plenty I loved about this album.

• Another month, another update.

14. The Lawrence Arms - We Are the Champions of the World: The Best Of
      15. Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog
      16. Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy
      17. J. Cole - KOD
      18. Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
      19. Cary Brothers - Bruises

Some hotly anticipated albums dropped this past month. Hop Along's last album was in my top ten in 2015, and retroactively has become a go-to record for me pretty much any time of year, so I was excited to hear what they'd do next. Bark Your Head Off, Dog hasn't quite reached the same level of esteem for me yet, but it's a beautiful record and Frances Quinlan continues to be one of the most unique voices in rock music.

Need to spend more time with Cardi B's record since when it came out I wasn't in the mood for what she was laying down, but there were a few tracks that stood out. Might spend some more time with J. Cole's records but after two or three listens its mostly more of the same I've come to expect from him.

Janelle Monae's latest is ear-wormingly catchy. I've only listened to it a couple times but it's like every couple hours a new part from a new song is stuck in my head. Currently - Brian Wilson's harmonies on the title track.

I've been waiting eight years for Cary Brothers to put out a new full-length album, even though he's put out two original and two covers EPs in the interim. I need to spend more time with it to form an impression, but damn this dude has pipes.
    • @Moriquendi a tad too symphonic for me, but still a pretty fun sound. I’m going to check out the rest of the album this week if I can!

@Rambo I saw them in Janurary but they didn’t play any of the new ones. Wasn’t actually a fan until I saw them live. So I didn’t really know any of the songs outside of the Halo 2 one and Diary Of Jane.

I’m pretty excited to hear they’ve got some new stuff though. I’ve been listening to them a lot lately. Might try to catch them this summer. They’re going to be in Toronto August 20th if memory serves.
    • Looking forward to hearing the rest of Dimmu's new album. I've always liked Dimmu Borgir.

The album I'm super stoked for right now is Powerglove's newest album Continue...
      They've released a few songs for it so far and the rest of the album will be out later this month.
      They're also doing a North American tour this summer if anyone is interested in awesome video game metal.