Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Persona 5 Mafia - Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There
  • @‘Moonlight Seer’ Considering my posts, it really shouldn’t come as a surprise to you I find Serenity the most suspicious. I’ve already made it clear how I felt about her casting suspension on newbies and the real lack of her contribution despite her words earlier. Nor do I disagree with the other logic brought up against her. At the rate this is going, I’ll most likely be voting her by Day’s end. As for who I trust most, well Day 1 isn’t exactly early enough to develop such things.

    It’s 12 hours left into the day. Can I have a list of people who have yet to at least check in.

    Also once again, newbies, please express literally any questions you have. This is a high level game and Mafia has a bit of a learning curve as is. There is zero shame in admitting you aren’t sure of what exactly is going on. Also if you don’t get the logic behind any current arguments, please ask and they will be explained.

    :heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
    Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
    Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
  • Serenity wrote:

    @Monika It's entirely possible that I'll unvote you. Other than your obvious lurking, I had nothing else to really go off of with you, but adding pressure almost always equates to people talking, it seems. The fact that you've made such a response gives us more information. Maybe my question to you wasn't the best, but it did elicit a response. Would you rather everyone ignore you? If it sounded like I thought that the one with the most votes was going to be the ultimate bandwagon, then I'm sorry for the miscommunication, but I'm well aware that the votes could go any way, especially during the final hour.
    I have less of a problem with people acting in the game to try to get information than I have a problem with people outwardly saying "we got information, so it was worth it". "Information" is just a word people use to justify a shitty outcome and it's an illusion of progress. Anyone who says the word like that is just lighting an arrow above themselves so that later in the game you can say "I got information, I'm contributing to the game" without there really being any substance behind any of it.

    Serenity wrote:

    I like the idea of having three main people who we could vote for. Since this is such a large game, I think it might be helpful to have a fourth person, but it's fine to just have three. Hopefully, out of Monika, Xenovent, Don, and Bolero, at least one of them are Mafia, so I'll try to concentrate on these four.
    If you aren't going to say what your "miscommunication" was, then perhaps I'll reword what you said for you: "Now that I have a conveniently-sized list that is obvious and not-random to the town, I can narrow my list of voting candidates so it can seem like I'm being helpful later in the game until the end of the day when a) one of these wagons is really big and I can get on it with no suspicion or b) another wagon gets bigger and it would retroactively seem scummy to not get on it".
    I don't think anyone should be given a no-kill badge or whatever, unless there is concrete proof in the actions/powers of their role. Saying that X should be killed, and Y should be given leeway for much of the game could very easily lead to Mafia manipulating our decisions. And, if it wasn't clear, my read list right now is you, Don, Xenovent, and Bolero. At least one of these four should be Mafia.
    This isn't a read list. That much is obvious. It's a list that any player could easily trace back to its source and, by merely saying its a read list, gives you a reason to jump on a big wagon at the end of the day because "he's on my read list". And the fact that you are even more certain about there being scum on that read list is just another cop-out. When some scum on this list dies later in the game, you, as scum, are gonna raise you hand and say "I knew it! He was on my read list!"
    Then how should I convince people to not vote for me, if you're the always listening townie that you say you are? Are you saying I should role claim?
    You could realize the fact that you are nowhere near dying, save the fact that I now have my crosshairs set on you ad infinitum. If anything, you should be giving your reasons to live now that there's a genuine vote on you rather than when you're merely having questions thrown your way.[/quote]

    Mordred wrote:

    Don't pick your reads at random.I get if you trust your gut reads but with nothing to go on (Xenovent's only crime was not checking in, which I was also guilty of until this post) all this does is make you look suspicious.
    It's even worse because those reads are neither random nor reads. :cookiemonster:

    Moonlight Seer wrote:

    @Monika do you think it's better to lurk, or respond to all that's possible? I feel like the former is suspicious af, even if the latter gets you on the spotlight. We proooobably want to keep an eye on the lurkers so :B
    Do what you wish with that respect. Fortunately for me (and for all of us) this isn't Mafia Scum, so I have no obligation to be looking at and responding to this thread at all hours of the day. It gives me a better chance to talk about things that matter rather than just be there for generic discussion.

    And for all of the people who might vote me later in the day for "lurking that one time", I wasn't even reading the thread; apparently if I have the thread open on my phone it'll say I'm still reading it even when I'm not using my phone. :v:

    Orion wrote:

    Just woke up. Gotta say that I like what English is saying and that I will probably change my vote later in the day. People who contribute more are always good to have around.
    You saying this is stupidly non-committal. You say "probably" because if I suddenly do something scummy later in the day and have a large wagon you'll stay on me; otherwise you'll change just like you said you would hours ago. If you're going to make a commitment at least make it a commitment worth any salt.
  • Serenity wrote:

    If you are town, I'd understand the feeling of apprehension towards me, but I don't think that would be the best reason to vote for me. People, town included, having a vendetta against me could easily lead in the Mafia manipulating your feelings and judgment. It might also count as a revenge vote, which makes it a little funny that @Lysis has voted for me, and was so easy to rescind her vote on Orion and Ruki for a vote against me. Mafia is going to want to vote for an easier target and manipulate others' feelings.
    Um, that's part of my point? Even if you're not Mafia, you'll cause confusion and split votes.
    If day one is a shot in the dark anyway, then eliminating dangerous factors like you is a good thing.

    It doesn't even matter if the Mafia is trying to somehow to "manipulate" us into voting for you, because we aren't very likely to vote them anyway.
    The possibility you're a Mafia defending themselves is still definitely there as well. I mean, it's not like there's someone better to vote for day 1 right?

    The post was edited 1 time, last by EnigmaFarce ().

  • So as I noted before we’re halfway through the day. Now I’m going to suggest something radical here as we move forward.

    Barring any real obvious shit like follow the cop or whatever, we should seriously look at in the following days picking off low lying players.

    Now before you bring out the pitchforks, hear me out.

    I read the discourse TM and feel like the new Mafia meta IS to lay low. Not to mention we’re halfway through the day and in a game of 22 players only a select handful have been really contributing. So I think I agree with Boxes - people participate or they get killed.

    In the long run this benefits the town more because if we can force more active participants, we won’t run into obvious traps and Mafia can’t easily heard late game players like sheep. We also have a larger pool to begin with, so this game is the perfect one for town to start shifting its strategy.

    :heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
    Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
    Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
  • So I told Sol I would play, but only starting on Monday.
    It is now Monday.

    So I have glanced over the 5 pages we've generated so far. To the question of how I will play, I tend to be reserved and/or flippant, because no one is to be trusted, there is no truth, and all things are permitted. I like to get a sense of people before I throw out votes, but that rarely makes for interesting gameplay, so now I try to be weird and see where that gets me. I also typically like to discuss the flavor of games, but it's interesting to me that role-claiming flavor roles are mod-forbidden. I wonder why?

    I'm _not_ going to be dissecting every word everyone says, because it just makes my head hurt and there are easier ways to figure out what people are saying at my disposal. We have players who are great at making spreedsheets, so I'll leave that heavy lifting to them.

    Hi Cody! I don't know if it's a pleasure to be here, but by golly here I am again.

    [vote]@Lysis[/vote] I didn't see a vote for you yet, and I don't want you to feel left out. How would you derail a train against you?
  • EnigmaFarce wrote:

    Serenity wrote:

    If you are town, I'd understand the feeling of apprehension towards me, but I don't think that would be the best reason to vote for me. People, town included, having a vendetta against me could easily lead in the Mafia manipulating your feelings and judgment. It might also count as a revenge vote, which makes it a little funny that @Lysis has voted for me, and was so easy to rescind her vote on Orion and Ruki for a vote against me. Mafia is going to want to vote for an easier target and manipulate others' feelings.
    Um, that's part of my point? Even if you're not Mafia, you'll cause confusion and split votes.If day one is a shot in the dark anyway, then eliminating dangerous factors like you is a good thing.

    It doesn't even matter if the Mafia is trying to somehow to "manipulate" us into voting for you, because we aren't very likely to vote them anyway.
    The possibility you're a Mafia defending themselves is still definitely there as well. I mean, it's not like there's someone better to vote for day 1 right?
    Please note I don’t disagree Serenity is yelling scum to the world, but for Day 1 Cody brought up we should consolidate on 2-3 wagons. A split vote is what we want as a general rule. Everyone voting for the same person doesn’t give us data.

    :heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
    Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
    Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
  • Monika wrote:

    Orion wrote:

    Just woke up. Gotta say that I like what English is saying and that I will probably change my vote later in the day. People who contribute more are always good to have around.
    You saying this is stupidly non-committal. You say "probably" because if I suddenly do something scummy later in the day and have a large wagon you'll stay on me; otherwise you'll change just like you said you would hours ago. If you're going to make a commitment at least make it a commitment worth any salt.
    Yes it is non-committal, I am not denying that. I typically use the word "probably" because I don't like to guarantee anything when I'm in a situation with many unknowns. There is still about half of the day remaining so unless you say something for me to think you are the best chance of hitting scum I will be changing my vote. The vote was just my attempt at a friendly jest, haha. Only reason I'm not changing my vote now is because I have a horrible memory as to what has been said thus far and I am too busy doing not mafia things to go back through the thread and decide who to vote.
  • Monika wrote:

    I have less of a problem with people acting in the game to try to get information than I have a problem with people outwardly saying "we got information, so it was worth it". "Information" is just a word people use to justify a shitty outcome and it's an illusion of progress. Anyone who says the word like that is just lighting an arrow above themselves so that later in the game you can say "I got information, I'm contributing to the game" without there really being any substance behind any of it.
    You know, the absolute most information we get is from lynching a mafia member with a tied or nearly tied vote with a townie. It's always the preferable result, in my opinion.

    Xenovent wrote:

    it's interesting to me that role-claiming flavor roles are mod-forbidden. I wonder why?
    It'd probably break the game in half. Something like there being a limited set of characters to claim from. It happened in Bungou, I think Sol's trying to prevent mass claiming of flavor roles.
  • I don't think anyone needs to respond to everything happening, otherwise I think we'd be getting bogged down pretty easily in minor stuff. Noteworthy stuff should probably be looked into. I've never been a particularly huge conversationalist because I feel that there are people with a lot more analytical skill than I when it comes to these things.

    Whether scum or not Serenity does seem to have herself inducted into the "nobody will ever trust her again" club :P
    That said, I don't feel like I have any reason not to vote for her at this point [vote]Serenity[/vote]
    I'm looking forward to seeing your reaction to more pressure than just two votes. :3

    (alternately if anyone has a day shot have at it and let us move on to a secondary target~)

    Moonlight Seer wrote:

    I'm not feeling a Monikenglish vote to be honest. What exactly do we expect him to spill at this point?
    Mind you I can't make mind on who to pressure so like :v
    I mean, ideally if you wanted him to reveal anything of interest he'd be revealing something like a role if it was imperative for his survival. But I do agree, I too am not feeling a Monika vote right now.

    I'm off to sleep now, hopefully I'll be up in time to see the day out.

    (throwback sig by liah btw)
    last.fm | twitter | instagram
    toot tot ride the sprite tractors
    Team S&S
  • Mordred wrote:

    Don't pick your reads at random.I get if you trust your gut reads but with nothing to go on (Xenovent's only crime was not checking in, which I was also guilty of until this post) all this does is make you look suspicious.
    Yeah. Apparently, I look more innocent when I'm Mafia than when I'm town, probably due to the fact that I have no idea who anyone is, so I'm really sorry if I come off as scummy. I think that, when someone is Mafia, and they know who is town and who is Mafia, then they could more easily come off as innocent, which is why I noted that we should watch out for the never players. idk if we should lynch a never player on the first day, but I'd closely analyze them. I'm noting what I've said here, and what you're saying here, though, especially for any future game. I don't want actual townies to role claim in fear of any incite on who the cop may be.

    Yes, yes. I know.

    To be honest, I think we should judge who's Mafia on who can keep an act well enough. And I know the gambler's fallacy is a thing, but really I still don't have all that much to go off of here. And I do think that, if someone is one side of the coin like three times in a row, then it would be more likely that they'd be the other side of the coin next time. Of course, in terms of scientific theory, for each individual turn, they always have half or a third of a chance. Not denying the fallacies here, but I am noting the increased likelihood over time.

    Don Saltine wrote:

    Oh yes. I remember.

    From my understanding you used your position as a new player to profess an air of innocence. I'm not really new anymore (I think).
    Which is exactly why we should keep a close eye on the never players. We could give them an inch, and then they'd take a mile, assuming at least one of them is Mafia. Considering there's like four never players, I think there should be like one Mafia member among them.

    For my first two games, I was basically this bitch:



    I'm going to take a shower, and will read through more of what's been said since I went to be last night.
  • Don Saltine wrote:

    Are you suggesting, Orion, that real life supercedes Mafia? How odd. :p

    Not sure if your statement helps you look more commited to the quest to kill scum though.
    I mean I would love to kill scum right now. Any scum want to out themselves? Anyone? Come on we totally won't kill you immediately I swear.

    I admit that I could be taking more time to just go through and ask questions to help narrow down the search for scum so that's what I'll start doing.

    @Don Saltine What is one thing that someone can do for you to view them as scum? Like what bugs you the most that someone can say?
    @epicstorm Hiya Epic, how's it going? My question for you is what you think of the day thus far? Who do you think you would trust/distrust the most out of everyone here?
  • So, I think my biggest problem when it comes to this game is that most times I have no idea what I should do to generate content. What are some traditional strategies people use when they're unsure of where or how to proceed? I know some people will use votes just to get information out of people, but I honestly don't really know who I should pressure at this point...or if I should be pressuring anyone at all.
  • Actually Solsetur said he wouldn't be around so here I did it myself.


    Phan-Site Fansite Community Update


    Who should we kill today?

    Monika [3] - Orion, Serenity, Don Saltine
    Serenity [3] - Enigmafarce, Monika, Kodachrome
    Bolero of Fire [1] - Lysis
    Don Saltine [1] - Bolero of Fire
    Xenovent [1] - Cody
    Lysis [1] - Xenovent
    Kae [1] - Kae (self-vote)
    Sabbo [1] - Sabbo (self-vote)
    Dark Link Reigns [1] - Dark Link Reigns (self-vote)
    PrinnyofTime [1] - PrinnyofTime (self-vote)
    Hide [1] - Hide (self-vote)
    Mordred [1] - Mordred (self-vote)
    MunchingBanana [1] - MunchingBanana (self-vote)
    Epicstorm [1] - Epicstorm (self-vote)
    Kol Gaines [1] - Kol Gaines (self-vote)
    HarmonicalHero [1] - HarmonicalHero (self-vote)
    Moonlight Seer [1] - Moonlight Seer (self-vote)
    Ruki [1] - Ruki (self-vote)

    If anything's wrong it's probably an edit to the self-vote that I missed.