Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Normal
    The Parenting Thread
    • Just thought it would be fun if parents here at ZU could have a place to discuss their kids. Whether to ask other parents for advice, or just brag about anything their kids do that is especially cute, here's the place.

I'll start out. I have a two-year old son, and he's just the sweetest! It's especially cute when he brings me picture books, then takes me by the hand and leads me over to the couch to read to him :XD:

I'm going to have to start potty training him soon, and frankly, I have no idea where to begin, since he isn't talking yet, and can't tell me when he needs to go. Any advice for potty training a not-yet verbal kid?

Anyway, have fun discussing your own bundles of joy!

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • I have 2 kids right now. A 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son. Both of them getting into big into video games (no surprise as they have gamer parents, lol).

We had a few fun rounds of 4 player smash brothers as a family earlier today.

Violetlight wrote:

I'll start out. I have a two-year old son, and he's just the sweetest! It's especially cute when he brings me picture books, then takes me by the hand and leads me over to the couch to read to him :XD:

I'm going to have to start potty training him soon, and frankly, I have no idea where to begin, since he isn't talking yet, and can't tell me when he needs to go. Any advice for potty training a not-yet verbal kid?

Anyway, have fun discussing your own bundles of joy!
      It's tricky to start. You'll have to just randomly place him on the toilet when you think he needs to go. While it can get messy, keeping him in underwear instead of diapers might help him as well. He might not like the feeling of soiling underwear as it'll feel wet versus a diaper that can soak it all up. Even if he has plenty of accidents in the beginning he'll see that you're plopping him right on the toilet as soon you notice him peeing (or pooping, lol)

Good luck! I've been through it twice :)
    • Hi fellow parents,

I'm happy to say that my grandfather graciously and very generously offered to help to send my little boy to a preschool, and we found a nice Montessori school not far from my place. He'll be in the "Casc" class (ages 3-6) and will start in September. It will basically be like an extra year of kindergarten for him.

Since he's now 2 1/2 and not talking, I thought the best thing for him would be for him to spend time with other children, and I've heard good things about the Montessori process. Has anyone else here had any experience with Montessori?

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • My friend who is EXTREMELY particular absolutely loved the Montessori school she sent her daughter to. In fact she was devastated she couldn’t find one like it when she moved, despite finding a very posh school that teaches young children Chinese and all this other stuff. Her main reason for loving Montessori was the wonderful teachers who really worked with her daughter despite her incredible shyness. Plus her daughter really enjoyed going there!
    • Violetlight wrote:

Hi fellow parents,

I'm happy to say that my grandfather graciously and very generously offered to help to send my little boy to a preschool, and we found a nice Montessori school not far from my place. He'll be in the "Casc" class (ages 3-6) and will start in September. It will basically be like an extra year of kindergarten for him.

Since he's now 2 1/2 and not talking, I thought the best thing for him would be for him to spend time with other children, and I've heard good things about the Montessori process. Has anyone else here had any experience with Montessori?
      I don't have any experience with Montessori so I can't comment on that but I will say that preschool was very good for both my kids.

Having your child in a social environment with other children will also be a very good way to assess if your child has any other struggles that need to be addressed while they're still young. Now I'm not suggesting your child will have other struggles :) But my son was speech delayed and had very few words at that age. He later showed other social and language struggles and he received an Autism diagnosis at around age 3 - 4. With that diagnosis we received funding and could hire support which greatly accelerated his progress. Now he's 7 and will talk your ear off. He's still autistic and will have his struggles but support he receives helps immensely. Sadly some children don't get support they need in those early years.
    • I have some good news! I finally got a spot for Arden at a daycare! As a bonus, it's right by my apartment, literally 2 blocks away, and on my walk to work! I really think this will be the best thing for him. He'll start the tuesday after the Civic Holiday, so Tues Aug 7! :D

We finally got a meeting for him to see a speech pathologist too (we've been trying to get him in since November). It figures, though, that by the time we managed to schedule a meeting he hardly needs it anymore. Just in the last month his speech has been improving by leaps and bounds! He's finally starting to imitate speech and sounds, and says quite a few words now. His favourites including "So!" (while pointing his finger in the air), "no no no no no" (all five nos together. No more, no less), and "Elmo, yay!" He has also just began to say his alphabet! (he loves saying W as "yayayu"!) Not bad for 3 years old!

• Hi all, Adam is 1 year and 20 days old today. How do I make him breastfeed again like how he was before he grew his teeth? Nowadays he usually bites and also pushes away when he's not given the bottle. He's allergic to formula milk, btw.
    • ^ You're so lucky that you were able to breastfeed! I wish I could have with Arden, but I suffered a serious birth complication when he was born, and my body was like "nope! Not doing this!" afterwards. He took to formula alright, but it was bloody expensive! $50/week for the first 8-9 months or so! After he started eating more solids, I switched from the concentrated liquid formula to the powdered, but it was still expensive. I was so glad when he turned 1 and could switch to whole cow's milk.

Sorry, but I have no advice regarding breastfeeding. However, your son *can* drink cow's milk after 1, providing he's not allergic. If you want to keep with breastfeeding, maybe pumping will work for a while then, if he's pushing away? I tried that with my son for the first few weeks (never made more than 20 mL of milk though, so it wasn't worth it).

Anyway, the important thing is you have a happy, healthy baby. :)

• So after almost a year of waiting (I first contacted the local children's health services about an appointment back in November last year), we were finally able to have Arden see the developmental pediatrician. The doctor met with Arden for about two hours, and asked a lot of questions. He wants some imput from his daycare teachers and some videos from Arden's speech therapist before he makes his official diagnosis, but just from our one session, the doctor has basically confirmed what I already suspected.

Arden is on the autistic spectrum, just like Mommy.

I'm not upset. In fact, I'm relieved. An official diagnosis will get the ball rolling on any help Arden needs, especially in his language development.

I think I have an advantage over other parents of autistic kids as well. I know firsthand what it's like, and I can use my own experiences to help Arden in ways I think neurotypical parents wouldn't think of.

Just glad my sweet little boy will be okay.

• Adam also hasn't spoken anything that we could understand, not even "mama". He's already 14 months and 13 days old. Apart from that, he's aggressive when upset that he get bruises and bumps on his head due to hitting himself against the wall or pillars, I don't know what's going on because the paediatricians here said it's normal for toddlers his age.
    • So Arden has finally discovered that one kids' show that Mommy can't stand. I knew it was only a matter of time. He likes Teletubbies.

Honestly, the purple one having a purse that everyone had a fit over in the 90s is the least weird thing about that show! Not sure if it should even count as a "children's" show, since some kind of drug was obviously involved in getting it out there.

At least he still likes Sesame Street and Octonauts more than Teletubbies, so I can ease him away from the weird/annoying stuff by putting on the quality children's shows.

So what kids' shows/games/whatever do your kids like that you can't stand? Feel free to rant here! We know your pain!

Post by N64 ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Mistagged ().