Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    [Poll & Discussion] Favorite Classic Zelda Game
    • Dark Link Reigns wrote:

Here's an old thread with some info on how you can go about it:

Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time)
      I.... I never knew about this. I was planning on replaying the game soon, and I will 100% be doing this.

(Also, I fully agree with all of the complaints about the game. And I never quite got over Kaepora Gaebora trolling me for button smashing >_>)
    • Diana Prince wrote:

Dark Link Reigns wrote:

Here's an old thread with some info on how you can go about it:

Alternate temple orders (Ocarina of Time)
      I.... I never knew about this. I was planning on replaying the game soon, and I will 100% be doing this.
      (Also, I fully agree with all of the complaints about the game. And I never quite got over Kaepora Gaebora trolling me for button smashing >_>)
      Oh man, I totally forgot about that! Must have repressed it due to the rage it induced in me lol.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • Quik E Nogg wrote:

As a big Ocarina of Time fan, I have seen a strange amount of hate for some reason towards that game. (Not on her of course but other places) Most of it has to do with the game apparently being overrated I guess? I'm not gonna go out and say it is the best Zelda game, but what's your guys' opinion on the game.
      I don't really like it. Didn't when it first came out (it was over a year after I'd received it that I finally bothered completing it), and still don't. Which... honestly has been the case with almost all of the 3D Zeldas that I've tried. I liked TP somewhat, but it wasn't until Breath of the Wild rolled along that I had many good things to say about the 3D games.

I guess I kind of fall into the "can't really tell you why" category though, because my issues with the 3D games are of the fairly fuzzy variety - it's just the case that I didn't really enjoy them. I don't hate them though, and indeed have a fair bit of respect for them as games (similar to how I respect Metroid Prime despite the fact that I'll never, ever, finish any of the games), but at the end of the day, they're just not for me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chel ().

• Hey that's perfectly fine.

Honestly, that's how I feel about TP, I know a lot of people love it, but I just couldn't attch emotionally.

I mainly felt by the time I played it (many years after its release) that it was over hyped.
      "If there's one thing I've learned from video games, its that when you run into opposition, you're usually going the right way."

Watch my Legend of Zelda (NES) Let's Play!

:mastahsword:
    • Quik E Nogg wrote:

Hey that's perfectly fine.

Honestly, that's how I feel about TP, I know a lot of people love it, but I just couldn't attch emotionally.

I mainly felt by the time I played it (many years after its release) that it was over hyped.
      You don't usually hear people say that TP was over hyped. I mean, ya, when it first was announced people were calling it the next OoT but I've always just seen people shit on this game hard for like everything in it lol.

• Dark Link Reigns wrote:

When OoT came along it was considerably linear compared to those game where I think a lot of the "OoT is so linear" argument comes from (and to be fair, OoT is pretty linear - without glitches you can only really switch around a couple of the temples which doesn't give you that much freedom from linearity).
      That's just not true. There's alternations between Forest, Water, and Fire, and then there's the Spirit/Shadow alternation. However, you can actually finish Spirit a lot earlier. Doing it in an honest way requires clearing the Forest Temple (so pesky Sheik will move away from the Master Sword pedestal) , but doing something highly nonstandard like Forest->Water->Spirit->Fire is completely possible without glitches.

OoT isn't as non-linear as LoZ or even ALttP, but it's still got enough to play with. And the thing is that if it had seven Adult Link dungeons instead of five, it would likely be close to achieving ALttP levels of non-linearity. I think it's trying to be ALttP in 3D, and in 1997, that wasn't necessarily a bad idea.
      "Wow! This looks pretty heavy. You won't be able to lift it because you're a Dalek and have a plunger for a hand."
    • @Quik E Nogg I will admit that OoT isn't my favorite Zelda game. It doesn't even make my top ten, haha. But I agree that people are weirdly vocal about protesting how much they don't like it and how "overrated" it is. The thing is, it's not overrated, because it didn't just come out this year, it came out like 20 years ago. Back then, it genuinely was a massive, industry-shattering achievement. So I think overrated is the wrong word, and people who harass you for liking it so much suck. I kind of feel like a lot of people say it's overrated just because it's so famous and well-known. Just ignore the hipsters, man, and you do what you enjoy.

As for reasons why I don't care for it all that much, well, I didn't play until after I'd played most other Zelda games. My first was ALttP, then WW, AoL, TP, MC, etc. I actually played OoT for the first time like a year before SS came out. So for me, it's mostly quality of life issues. The controls are imprecise, especially with a GC controller, someone else has already brought up issues like needing to constantly go into the menu to change your boots in some dungeons, it's actually a pretty empty game all things considered, stuff like that. The game is absolutely iconic, and I can appreciate it for what it is/was, but when I sit down and want to play a Zelda game, I almost never want to play OoT over any of the other Zeldas I have. Does that make sense? It's good, I just think a lot of the others are better.

Although, I might just be weird, because I also played LoZ for the first time around the same time I played OoT, and I actually like that one better...

But hey, I'm with you on TP! That one also doesn't make my top ten. And I will say that TP is overrated... #shotsfired
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GregariousTree ().

• Quik E Nogg wrote:

@PurpleandRed Well its not really anything I can put my finger on, I just never had as much fun playing that game like I did other titles.

I did feel like they tried too hard and forced the whole dark feeling however.
      Oh, my bad for assuming it was because of the emotion. Well, I like some dark stuff but I felt that the art style for that game was too drab. It's like they were trying too hard to make it dark and mature but look at MM, it's the darkest Zelda game and its art style and colors were a bit brighter and much better than TP.

The post was edited 1 time, last by PurpleandRed ().

• @PurpleandRed It's cool. It's just that I really wasn't used to it since I played Wind Waker prior to TP. As you know, they're polar opposites. The end result being I loved WW and just couldn't latch onto TP. But I'm definitely not disrespecting the game itself!
      "If there's one thing I've learned from video games, its that when you run into opposition, you're usually going the right way."

Watch my Legend of Zelda (NES) Let's Play!

:mastahsword:
    • Mod note

Hey guys. It's awards time again. Show the Zelda section (and it's dedicated members) some love by nominating:

。・* ❀ Summer Awards 2018 - Zelda Nominations ❀ *・。

And while you're at it, might as well pop into the other nomination threads and let people know you think they are awesome by nominating them!

• What did I say my favorite was? I'm starting to lose track.

At any rate it's time for an updated Top 5 list. Using that term loosely.

0- The [Z]Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
      0.1- The Adventure of Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia (adapted and expanded from the Valiant Comics)
      0.2- Hyrule Warriors
      0.3- The Hyrule Fantasy- Mishouzaki Version
      0.4- Four Swords Adventure- Himekawa Version
      0.5- Link's Crossbow Training

1- Breath of the Wild
      2- The Wind Waker
      3. Twilight Princess
      4. Oracles Duality -Game and Himekawa and Himekawa Versions
      5. Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask- Game and Himekawa Versions
      6. Skyward Sword- Game and Himekawa Prequel

Told ya it was loose. All joking (if any) aside, I really do like all these. So it's more of a "just favorite Zelda things" list. Oops.

Sig banner by TruEdge76

The post was edited 3 times, last by Okami Takahashi ().