Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Normal
Health/Fitness/Wellness 2018!
  • Hey guys! It’s been awhile, how are you all doing with your health and fitness goals?

I figured it might be nice to have a health/fitness question of the week to spur discussion and get feedback from folks! If anyone has a question they want to ask of course you can ask it in the thread whenever you want, or if you don’t want to or think it’s embarassing, you can PM me and I’ll ask it and you can remain anonymous!

With that said, let’s kick this off: health/fitness question of the week:

Do you have habits and/or routines that contribute to your physical and mental wellbeing? If so, what are they and how do they help you?
  • Good idea, @Winnie! :)

Fitness update from my part:
    I'm still recovering from the removal of the wisdom tooth. I'm off the painkillers and I recently got the stitches removed, but I don't want to risk it opening up or anything of the sort. So I'm wainting a bit longer until I work out properly.
    My father and I created something last weekend so that I'll be able to take pull-ups over one of my doors, so I'm really happy about that. I've been doing that a a few times and otherwise walked a decent amount. Otherwise doing rather well!

As for habits and routines, I guess there are many!
    I really like my cup of green tea. It's a very comfortable feeling both physically and mentally.
  • Winnie wrote:

Hey guys! It’s been awhile, how are you all doing with your health and fitness goals?

I figured it might be nice to have a health/fitness question of the week to spur discussion and get feedback from folks! If anyone has a question they want to ask of course you can ask it in the thread whenever you want, or if you don’t want to or think it’s embarassing, you can PM me and I’ll ask it and you can remain anonymous!

With that said, let’s kick this off: health/fitness question of the week:

Do you have habits and/or routines that contribute to your physical and mental wellbeing? If so, what are they and how do they help you?
    i've recently taken up walking home from work. while that isn't something necessarily new for me, it is at this house! my walk home has always been about 20min on fairly level ground. nooow my walk is 45min on mountainous terrain.
    fortunately, i used to walk everywhere, so it's really easy for me to get back into it. it helps keep a few pounds away and the fresh air does wonders!
    Come check out the new book club! The Do Over Book Club
  • So I gained 8 pounds because I haven't been to the gym in over a month - womp.

I mean I moved and got a job and blah blah and getting home after work I don't want to do anything... but still.

I've decided this isn't okay so, I'm going to try to go to the gym saturday and sunday, possibly friday night too, and then do a workout in the morning one day a week in my apartment via a workout video.
    Plus I don't have to go to the gym on the weekend - I could hike, or do some other activity. I'm thinking of picking up rock climbing? Not sure. It's been hard to find the motivation but I did well most of this year and it would be a shame to lose all of that progress. And sometimes I miss running. Sometimes.

"Defense against the dark farts, am I right?" -Pennington
    | This spot reserved for Dark Link Reigns |

• The single biggest thing that's helped me is cycling. It's good exercise and I enjoy it. Once I finally got around to learning to ride a bike, I was hooked. Next thing I knew, I'd lost a load of weight (something I'd wanted to do for years) and my general fitness has really improved. And that success is what has kept me motivated. For the first time in my life, I'm happy with my body, and I don't want to undo all that.
  • Most of the weight gain for ya'll is probably more water. That is probably actually only 4-6lbs. It'll be ok.

I haven't been super good on actual training, but I've been out moving furniture with this new hobby for a few weeks. I needed a break to get my head right as I was yoyoing weight, having a few good weeks of diet/training, then life drama happening and falling off the wagon.

I have been decent on diet though and my super fat belt and super fat pants are too loose to be useful now. Yay. On to wearing my normal fat pants lol. I'll start routine training again next week.

-----

I'm also selling my power rack this weekend. I still prefer going to the gym over working out at home so it's just taking up space I could use to hold much more inventory. I'll still have my barbells, dumbells, incline bench, and other stuff for home workouts though.
  • Hey fitness folks! Here's another health/fitness question of the week! If you feel like answering, great, or if you just feel like posting about other fitness/health stuff please feel free to do so as we proceed to our regularly scheduled program:

What is your typical workout routine, and how many times do you work out a week?

For me, I've been a bit of a slacker. Usually I like to do at least one thing a day that counts as exercise, whether it's lifting and cardio, taking my dog for a hike (not just our normal walk), or even just power walking on the treadmill for a half hour. Generally at least if I'm doing one thing a day, it helps keep me motivated. When I take days off they tend to lead to more days off so... it's important for me to avoid that rut.

Lately I've been having a lot more off days than I should, but ideally what I'll do is lift for a half hour and then cardio for about an hour, give or take, and then I also walk my dog. I alternate lifting every other day to help my muscles recover. Also ideally I'd do abs every day too however that has been slacking as well--time to get back into the swing of things!
  • I work out with weights three times a week. This is pretty much a solid part of my routine at this point.

Weather and time permitting, I cycle 7-10 miles once or twice a week, but that's not so much part of my routine as the workouts. I generally manage at least once a week for cycling but I don't worry too much if I miss a week.

But I don't miss a weight workout unless I really don't have time for some reason or if I'm exceptionally tired. After having let it slide a number of times in the past I told myself I would stick to it this time, and so far (just over 4 months now) I'm managing to keep it up. I have missed a few but I'm determined not to let that happen too often, and get into the "can't be bothered" habit.
  • Interesting thread.

I'm probably the healthiest I've been in over a decade. Got divorced a few months back, lost a good 10-15 pounds from pure depression, but got on a better exercise kick. Lost another 15-20 pounds and reduced my eating a bit, and I'm back down to ~185 with actual visible musculature and whatnot. I saw my abs for the first time since I was 20! It feels good.

Mostly I just do 30-45 minutes of body weight exercises and a little weightlifting when I get home from work each day. Mostly. ~5 days a week. It's working well for me.
  • lord-of-shadow wrote:

Interesting thread.

I'm probably the healthiest I've been in over a decade. Got divorced a few months back, lost a good 10-15 pounds from pure depression, but got on a better exercise kick. Lost another 15-20 pounds and reduced my eating a bit, and I'm back down to ~185 with actual visible musculature and whatnot. I saw my abs for the first time since I was 20! It feels good.

Mostly I just do 30-45 minutes of body weight exercises and a little weightlifting when I get home from work each day. Mostly. ~5 days a week. It's working well for me.
    I got separated some months ago as well. I've had more time to focus on workouts and myself in general, so I'm probably in or around the best shape I've been as well.
    I have been having a hiatus the last few weeks due to a complicated removal of a lower wisdom tooth, but I'm going to start up properly again today. I usually lift weights every second or third day. It's usually been every other day since I moved to my own apartment. It's been between 40-50 minutes lately, depending on what I've been doing.
  • Winnie wrote:

@Moriquendi hopefully you fully recover soon! Wisdom teeth are terrible and I’m sorry you’ve had one of the tougher recoveries :(
    Thank you :)

I just had a full workout and it went well! Some throbbing, but not much!
    At least now both my lower wisdom teeth are out and the upper ones seem happy where they are :p

Edit:
    Speaking of workout routines, what are your favourite set/rep ratio? What do you feel work best? :)

I've been trying to swap around every now and then. The last few months, I've been doing supersets, but I've just switched to 5 sets of 8-10 repetitions for now. It takes longer, but I want to try it for a while.

May your deeds live on in song

The post was edited 1 time, last by Moriquendi ().

• Lady Sunshine wrote:

I did it!

I joined planet fitness by my new apartment and I’m currently on the bike!

It hurts why did I do this to myself

In better news that means I can start hosting fitness challenges again for those interested!!!
    The PF I am at is very close to banning me due to my outbursts.

I mean, I am not saying I am wrong to curse out anyone for no reason, but stop moving my belongings to use that machine that you just seen me use.

More recently I called out a group of females who were gave me snarky looks because I was doing a hip thrust on the machine at roughly 400 pounds. I called them basic 2x4’s and told them to go to the nearest Starbucks so they can get that basic pumpkin spice latte if they want to keep giving me looks

I mean, am I wrong? Most definitely. But am I also right? I mean yeah. ‍♀️