Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Normal
Health/Fitness/Wellness 2018!
  • Hi everyone and welcome to the new Health/Fitness/Wellness thread for 2018! New Year, new thread. For any newcomers to our little corner of ZU, this is a place where we talk about everything from making small steps to improving health, to larger fitness goals. We have folks here at all fitness levels and who discuss all topics, so if you are looking for ways to be healthy or wanting to lift something heavier than your Nintendo Switch, post away! If you want to review previous posts/gains the closed Fitness thread is here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Winnie ().

• My fiancee and I are doing the "Whole 30" as a resolution.

It should be an interesting experience. I typically eat a diet loosely resembling the Whole 30 (plus dairy) anyway, but I'm curious to see how I feel going all in.

The thing that would benefit me the most is a personal trainer to show me the proper form and new exercises. I have been doing more or less the same workout routine for years and am sort of stuck in a rut in that regard. And I've always struggled a bit with technique. Back in college, one of my worst grades (if you can believe it) was in my one credit yoga class. My teacher warned me of my posture and form issues haha.
  • So I'm not one for making resolutions, but I do like to set goals and the New Year is a convenient time to think about what was accomplished in 2017, and how to take things to the next level in 2018.

In 2017 I met many of my career goals, and was even able to work in Chicago for a month and hang out with my brother! I also traveled to Thailand and the Azores, which was really cool. I spent more time with family, and got to see a lot more of the United States than originally planned (rural Kentucky is beautiful btw, just watch out for those tractors on a one lane road). From riding a tuk tuk around ancient ruins, seeing the path of totality for the solar eclipse, and hiking not one but three volcanoes, 2017 was an amazing year.

But, while I was generally healthy, I really didn't take my health and fitness as seriously as I should, and allowed my fitness goals to fall by the wayside. Mistakes were made (pizza), gains were lost (cookies), and in 2018 there are two main things I want to shed: pounds and student loan debt.

I think financial wellness can play a lot into physical health and mental well being. So if I tackle both of these goals at the same time, hopefully it will lead to good results!
  • Broke in the New Year with some gains, but I truly learned how much my push up endurance has fallen. So that’ll be something of a resolution I suppose. I’d really like to be able to do a solid 50 w/o stopping again, but it’s definitely harder when you’re 210 than it was when I was 160 lmao.

Since Winnie brought up financial gains, in November I broke a significant (to me at least) net worth threshold that I’ve been working towards since slightly before I got involved in the gym. I’ve been tracking my net worth through a website/app called Personal Capital since late 2015, and with some sacrifices, a lot of hard work, and a burning desire to prove certain people wrong I’ve managed to put myself in a position that I never thought I could be in just a few short years ago. I got my dream job (been chasing it since ‘12) at the end of 2016 when I took a big effing leap of faith, and it paid off in more ways than one.

Don’t wait for the perfect moment, you’ll miss out on a good number of “good enough” moments. “Most people miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work”.
  • Last year I made a lot of progress. I learned to ride a bike - not because I wanted to take it up as a hobby, but because I just didn't like the fact that I couldn't do it. But once I got started I was hooked, and that got me exercising a lot more and eating less. I lost a lot of weight and improved my general fitness. Unfortunately recent events in my personal life have meant that fitness has been the last thing on my mind. And the winter weather hasn't been good for cycling. But I'm still fitter and thinner than I was, so I hope to be able to get back on track soon.

Good luck everyone with your 2018 goals!
  • Hope everyone gets off to a great start in 2018!

Me - I'm a little pissed. I stretched my achilles' tendon this past weekend from too much running and it's still super sore 5 days later. I have a full marathon in 2 weeks - at this point I'm not sure if I'll be able to run it, or even if I can, if it would be wise to attempt 26.2 miles with my achilles' still flaring up.

Oh well... I have a couple more marathons planned for this year, so if I miss this one I suppose it's not the end of the world.

My resolutions/goals for 2018:
    1) Run a marathon in under 4 hours
    2) Bike a Century (100 miles)
    3) Stay injury free (off to a great start...)
    4) Focus on eating more whole/unprocessed foods

Cheers ZU!
  • Subbing

Had myself a NYE workout which was pretty solid. I'm going to scale back volume this week to check out the gym at different times to see how bad traffic is. It's always good to see newcomers commit to goals though.

Nothing too exciting is going on except I've decided to go ahead and order a power rack here in a few weeks. I'll still keep my gym membership, but I won't have to waste unnecessary time waiting to squat and just do it before I go to the gym.

I'll probably sell my stationary bench as well since it's almost 20 years old :) Plenty of memories on it helping my dad train as a kid as well as my own, but it's just metal. I'd like to see it go to a young pup trying to start up training who can't afford much. #deardiary

Nutrition wise, I'm cutting alcohol consumption to once every 3 weeks. I might wait months between drinks, but it's a minimum guideline to keep myself mentally focused. I've made great strides in other areas of my life on raw discipline and I want to keep going strong as I bring my fitness and other passions back up to par now that I've relit the fire I lost after 2016 threw haymakers at me. I don't have the patience for hungover mental fatigue.

Hit the ground running for 2018, folks. For me, this will be the best year of my life up to this point as I bring years of calculated action together. Dominate this year and don't settle for less than you deserve.
    "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19
  • I kicked off the new year with a cold, so I'm taking the week off from the gym D; Last week I took off too because one of my dogs got seriously injured and she required almost round the clock supervision. Definitely aiming to go back Monday though!

There's a gym in my work building that I get free membership to because I'm a tenant employee. The gym itself is fairly small but has all the essentials. On the plus side, the amenities are SUPER nice, like better than any other gym I've been to. My company also offers health and wellness incentives towards our insurance plans, like run X miles or log X steps and get $XX towards your insurance, and annual reimbursements up to a certain amount on fitness expenses (gym memberships, equipment purchases, fitness trackers). AND they do annual wellness screenings to get discounts on our health insurance for the following year. So they make it fairly difficult to have an excuse not to try to be live heathy haha
  • So interestingly enough over my vacation out of town, the whole idea of eating well came up. At my friends, I had the chance to have homecooked meals again and only after a single short week, I felt tons and tons better mood-wise. I still live with my parents and they have a strictly vegan diet, but I can't rely on them with food since most days they don't actually cook and even when they do they fail to tell me about it. So most days, I just end up eating a single hotdog and that's all I eat for the whole day.

As you might guess, I don't weigh much. And most of my life I really haven't. Yeah...I only weigh 96 pounds...which is most definitely not good. So this year, I'd like to finally start eating better each day. Of course, that's gonna be difficult since I can't cook, but I'm gonna have to find SOMEthing better this year! On top of that, I can't escape the fact that getting a better job where I live requires physical labor, and I really don't think the places I apply for are going to hire a worthless twig.

So this year I'm gonna try and:
    - Eat better. (Or just...more food in general lol)
    - Try and do at the very least basic exercises in my room. Anything is better than sitting in my chair talking about 1001 ways in which I hate myself.
    - Find physical activities to help at least a little bit with bettering my mood.
    - Learn actual discipline so I finally do something health related for once.

Normally I'm not the kind of person to talk about body stuff, and if I do it's really vague since my size has been something I've been picked on about since I was really young, to the point I wear baggy clothes to hide as much of it as I can. Unfortunately, you can't hide being a 5'5 male, so I'm putting all of this here not only to get advice from you guys, but also to keep myself accountable and to remind myself, "You keep saying for years you're gonna do something about all this and then you never do so stop being wishy-washy Prinny and actually DO something this time dammit!"
  • @PrinnyOfTime thank you for sharing! Talking about body stuff can be hard but we are very supportive here. Are you also vegan? Will your parents buy food or allow food in the house that isn’t vegan? Just wondering because if you want to gain a bit of weight and be healthy and stronger, eating fish, meat, milk, and eggs will go a long way.

Yeah people say there are plenty of vegan sources of protein. That’s great! But one look at Colin Kaepernick before and after he went vegan shows a big difference.
  • Agreed. If you’re vegan, I think nuts are about the most calorie dense food you’ll have at your disposal. Yogurt, milk, cheese (basically dairy products lol) are also great if you aren’t vegan.

Also, 475x6, made it happen.

EDIT

Doing farmers walks (and pulling from the floor in general) after not for a year and doing it from the knee instead, my grip is like “wtf is this bullshit? Where’s the workout?”, and my back tries (and succeeds if I’m not focused) to muscle the weight up every time. It takes a conscious effort for me to remember to use my hamstrings and glutes.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Bartimaeus Sex ().

• @Winnie I love ribs and chicken too much to be vegan haha. It's more like...I'm vegan without a choice in the matter. My parents don't buy any groceries for me so I'm on my own in terms of that. I can eat what they buy, but I don't get a say in what they buy. A large part of my health issues also stem from finances and who I live with, but that's a whole separate issue not related to this thread.

What kind of fish would you recommend that is also affordable? I absolutely love seafood, and I'd like to start eating more of that if I can, since I find it tasty and it's good for you. Nothing beats some tilapia with a bit of tartar sauce. And since tartar sauce is easy to make you can even use healthier stuff to make it yourself.
  • @PrinnyOfTime affordable fish is tilapia hands down. 21 grams of protein per fillet and you get like 20 of them in the frozen individually wrapped packages. Granted, tilapia doesn’t have as many health benefits of the more expensive fish, but it’s solid protein for your buck. And, it’s versatile. I put old bay seasoning on it, you can batter it, put salsa on it, or just do lemon and/or butter.

Also it’s fast to cook. Throw a frozen fillet in cold water for a few mins, then put it in the stove and you’re good!
  • Wait tilapia is a fish?! I've heard of it but didn't know what it was, for some reason I thought it was some kind of vegetable :lol:

@PrinnyOfTime well done for deciding to take the bull by the horns and get your health and fitness on track. If you put in the effort and have the right mindset, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to achieve your goals. Also, you say you can't cook, but it doesn't have to be difficult. Granted some dishes are hard to do, but there are plenty that are easy enough for anyone to do it!
  • Moriquendi wrote:

@Joshawott That sounds great^^ I hope you'll feel better soon as well and kick it off well next week!

As I've written before, I started out the year ill as well. I was at work again yesterday and now I just finished a short, improvised workout just to get a little bit more strenuous movement in. Feels good to feel alive again :p
    Thank you, and likewise! I'm actually mostly better, but what with flu season still in high gear don't wanna take any chances. Especially since I'm the biggest crybaby when it comes to being sick.

I actually got a headstart this morning because I willed myself out of bed to run my usual track downtown... I was able to squeeze out three miles (I usually do 4.5 - 5). Not a bad start, but hopefully can get back into it sooner than later~