Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Movies you've watched recently
    • ScarlyCrow wrote:

Prada wrote:

the new Star Wars
      What were your thoughts on it? I went to see it recently and I confess that it wasn't quite what I'd been looking for, but John Boyega was in it so I was a bit too distracted to precisely note what I disliked.
      Dont worry, Boyega distracted me too. Every time I see him, his laugh echoes in my head. That shit is contagious.

But I actually kinda liked it. But the way they made 'Him' act, not so much.

Tree goes fire, my favorite scene. Because poof.
    • Ah. I just watched The Woman in Black (2012) with @Chel. It's a horror movie, and it isn't particularly brilliant, novel, surprising, or exhilarating. However, what it does do well is loud sounds, screams, fog, repetitive noises, and dim lighting. Lots of noise. Lots of dim lighting. Lots of Harry Potter wandering around looking like he wants a drink of... Something.

Since we're both morons, we watched it on this particularly quiet night. By the end of the movie, we were both shattered messes of humanity squinting and holding our ears to reduce the sensory drain. I think that made everything so much worse. At the end of the movie, I spilled my drink without noticing, leaving me with a moment of embarrassment due to thinking that I had... You know what nvm, let's end this review here.

<3 ~Developer of Lamia Community~ <3
      :heart: ~ Doesn't Care 'Bout What You Think ~ :heart:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Scarly Crow ().

• Mirren wrote:

Just saw Annihilation. A baffling, unnerving sci-fi that will turn off many with its ambiguity, but I feel is all that more provocative for that very reason.

Mmm, thank you for mentioning this. I had never heard of Annihilation, didn't know that it was in theaters, and had no clue what it was. So, I just looked at a trailer and it... Looked really good, tbh. Would you recommend it for someone that's a fan of classic horror-ish science fiction??
    • ScarlyCrow wrote:

Mirren wrote:

Just saw Annihilation. A baffling, unnerving sci-fi that will turn off many with its ambiguity, but I feel is all that more provocative for that very reason.
      Mmm, thank you for mentioning this. I had never heard of Annihilation, didn't know that it was in theaters, and had no clue what it was. So, I just looked at a trailer and it... Looked really good, tbh. Would you recommend it for someone that's a fan of classic horror-ish science fiction??
      I...suppose? Haha I hate to be ambiguous, but I guess that sort of is appropriate given that the entire movie is built on a lack of definitive answers. It's a super cerebral sci-fi, perhaps to a fault, at times. There's a couple moments of very visceral thrills, but for the most part, it's probably closest to psychological horror. You usually know what's going on, but not why or how. If you don't mind a story that elicits most of your emotion from mystery, you'd probably enjoy it.

I'm not sure where you live, though, so just keep in mind that it's only been given a theatrical release in North America and China. Every other territory is getting a Netflix release in March (the 12th, I believe).
    • I tried watching La La Land :cool: I say, "tried," because it was so boring. Toward the middle I started fast forwarding through large sections and I did watch the ending. I suspect the reason it won so many awards is that it's about Hollywood. It was probably a lot more interesting to the committees than it would be to a more general audience (?). So boring! I want my hour and a half back so I can watch something fun.

I'm thinking about watching Get Out. But I'm concerned that it will be too suspenseful. Recently I saw the actor from that film in an episode of Black Mirror, and I was very impressed. So maybe I'll give it a shot just to see him in a full film.
    • Awards season is more or less over, so here's my thoughts on the rest of the movies that have been hyped for the last 2-3 months:

The Post - It's hard to believe this movie has what must be one of the most winning formulas ever and yet is so lackluster. Speilberg behind the camera, Streep and Hanks in front of it, co-written by the guy who wrote Best Picture and other newspaper story Spotlight. But the whole is not really equal to the sum of its parts in this case. Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly adequate film and everyone does their jobs well. But there's a sort of "well, duh" feeling about the whole thing. Well, duh, freedom the press and the first amendment are important. Well, duh, it's important to take a stand against corrupt politicians who conspire to keep important information from the general public. Maybe if this movie had come out in a different social and political climate its not-so-subtle messaging would be better received.

Darkest Hour - Gary Oldman is a good actor. Joe Wright is a good director. Churchill made some really great speeches. So like The Post you end up with a perfectly serviceable movie, but also like The Post there's a "so what?" element to it all. What are we getting from this movie as a whole that we don't already get from the dozens of other films and series and documentaries about Winston Churchill? Aside from an incredible performance and some really beautiful shots? That ain't nothing, but is it enough?

Lady Bird - This movie feels at once like a throwback to the coming-of-age indie films of the previous decade (the fact that it's set in the previous decade helps contribute to this) and also like an exciting preview of Greta Gerwig directorial career. This isn't a particularly complex movie in terms of its story, characters or even in the basics of how it looks - but its so capably executed on pretty much every level that it's still impressive. Gerwig's vision for her debut as a director is realized to such an extent that it's easy to get excited for what she's going to do in the future.

The Shape of Water - As a movie that subverts the typical monster movie and the tropes therein, this movie is a success. As a fairly tale love story, this movie is a success. As a movie that shows off what Del Toro is capable of as a genre director with a strong visual palate it's alright. It's odd to say that a movie about the love between a woman and a fish person feels like a conventional love story, but here we are.

Phantom Thread - Yes, Daniel Day Lewis is perhaps the greatest living actor (formerly) working. Yes, PTA is perhaps one of the greatest living directors working. Yes, this movie is deceptively subtle and slowly paced, with very little plot and a whole lot of character and character relationship building. But this movie completely blew my mind while I was watching it (on various levels - the visuals, the score, the costuming, the acting - all impeccable across the board) in a way a movie hasn't in a long time with a story that goes in a completely unexpected direction while still playing out completely evenly and deliberately. This is a movie where the big turns are defined by how the characters feel in response to each other, not by how they react through action or dialogue. It's all about eye contact and facial expressions. It's immaculate filmmaking and storytelling.
    • Silent House - Starred Elizabeth Olsen. Younger sister of the famous Olsen twins, Mary Kate and Ashley.
      It was a pretty terrible film and that's being nice about it.

The acting was atrocious and the plot... what plot... just jump scares and a lot of clumsy dropping of lights... lol
      I would actually give this a 0/10. No foolin' it was garbage...

Never believe what a movie says at first hand. I know this at least now, more than ever before!

Cat girls are the bees knees
      I hope you agree!
    • JP the Neurotic wrote:

ScarlyCrow wrote:

Just tried to watch Veronica with Chel. We decided that we'll just wait until tomorrow or somethn and watch it when it's maybe a little brighter outside.

No, my hairs aren't standing on end, I swear! :D
      is it good I e heard good things and I need good horror
      My dental hygienist recommended it to me, so I decided to give it a shot! :D

We only made it 20 minutes in, but I can tell you that it was a pretty intense 20 minute crank up - if you have imagination and fill in the gaps (there are a lot to fill in) it's actually really disturbing. I got the sense that it has a decent plot.

So, we haven't seen the whole thing, but if you like atmospheric horror (no gore, no jump scares - just weird) then I'd really recommend it.

Other than that, if you haven't already seen it then maybe I'd recommend Insidious (2010). It's like The Conjuring but less polished and a bit camp in some spots. Also, I'd recommend The Wailing (2016) if you don't mind a potentially annoying ending.

Now, if you want solid hair raising terror, then I'd also recommend The Orphanage (2007). It's a slow burn, but... Omg, that ending was actually one of the most terrible sinking realizations that I've ever had. Just thinking about it makes my hairs stand on end.

Finally, if you're feeling like a classic and you haven't already seen Jacob's Ladder (1990), then you should see Jacob's Ladder. It's the great-grandfather movie that sort of inspired a lot of horror games, due to the fact that a lot of the stuff in JL is heavily referenced in the Silent Hill franchise.
    • Just finished watching Little Miss Sunshine. Seen it years ago, but didn't quite absorb it like I should have. I also picked up on more details this time around so the family's situation and issues made a lot more sense this time.

Pretty good movie, anyway haha. I think there's some good messages in it, has kind of a bittersweet feel.
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jimin ().