Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Movies you've watched recently
    • Hallo, hallo.

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm a recently-converted movie nut who, until a year or so ago, never really watched much of anything, and who currently watches all sorts of junk all the time. With that in mind, I'm interested in seeing and hearing about the movies that y'all are watching, or have watched recently. At best, it might be a way to help each other discover hidden gems that some of us may not have been previously aware of. At worst, we can quietly laugh at each other's terrible taste*.

* I'm only joking. Don't laugh at people. It's mean. Don't be mean.

Fairly straight forward, I think? Maybe? Probably.

For myself, I've watched a few things this last week. First among them is the Korean movie, The Villainess. Which, if I had to describe, I'd say is similar to John Wick and Atomic Blonde, though it didn't leave me sorely disappointed at the end like the latter of those two did. It has a well done, and reasonably complex plot, wonderful action scenes that were masterfully executed on, and a delightful intensity.

It's honestly a treat if you don't mind foreign films and/or subtitles.

Next up is an animu, Fate/stay night: Heaven’s Feel I. presage flower, which continues Type-Moon's grand tradition of having completely absurd names for just about everything. Heaven's Feel is a three part movie series that goes along with the Fate/Zero and Fate/Unlimited Blade Works anime series, and is basically a retelling of the fifth grail war (it's a long story) that was featured in the Unlimited Blade Works anime - in which minor changes in what the main character chooses to do early on has long lasting and dramatic consequences for the story, which plays out in a way that is completely and utterly distinct from UBW's. To keep a long story short (too late?), it was a delightful movie, albeit one that is probably at least somewhat incomprehensible if you're not already familiar with the other Fate works. I had the chance (and drove just over 200 miles) to see it in a theater, which was a major treat.

Beyond that, I watched Coraline and The Others for the first time this last weekend, and while I enjoyed both of them I was somewhat amused that the one that wasn't generally tagged as being horror (Coraline) was... honestly a fair bit more disturbing to me than the one that was (The Others). Seriously, despite the fairly cutesy presentation, Coraline had some fairly screwy things going on in it.

Oh. I also saw Coco in theater, which was an absolute delight, marred only by the fact that I had to sit through that long and frankly abysmal Frozen short before the movie. :|

It was worth it though.

And that's it for now. Here's hoping that my descriptions aren't completely dull, and that someone gets something out of my rattling.
    • (@'Silver' told me that a couple non-spammy double posts weren't a big deal, so... please don't kill me! D:)

Movies were watched today. Three so far. There may yet be another if I get particularly bored, only time will tell.

Here's the breakdown:

The marathon started with Night of the Comet, a particularly goofy movie from 1984. It was ostensibly a zombie movie, but... there... weren't that many zombies. Not only that, the zombies weren't quite zombies - they were a bit chatty for that. Not to mention capable of other things that one doesn't typically associate with your standard zombie. I generally subscribe to the Romero model zombie, myself, so this was a minor turn-off at first, until I realized that the zombies were only a fairly small part of the whole thing.

The movie's real charm came in the form of the main character's sister's legs, which were basically incredible and not shown off nearly enough. Coming in a distant second place, meanwhile, was the movie's completely ridiculous and self aware portrayal of teenagers and adolescents in general. There was very little action to speak of, most of which took the form of a shoot-out with partially-zombified stockboys in a mall that the two main characters had been looting, in which they briefly became low budget action heroes of a sort, before being bound to each other and tied up in chains, requiring rescue by some some random guys that appeared out of nowhere.

There's a fair bit more to it, but thinking too hard about the movie's plot would probably be enough to give me a headache, so we can leave it at that. It was terrible, but in a mildly amusing way. The legs helped.

After that, I moved on to The Thing, another 80s movie, though one that's well known and popular enough that I don't think I need to say all that much about it here. It was pretty great, but the lack of women dragged it down from a 4.5 to a 4.0.

Saving Face was the final movie. This movie was a bit of a change of pace from the prior ones, in that it followed an Asian American lady, and the challenges she faced in dealing with her extremely family's internal drama, and the challenges she faces as a closeted lesbian in an extremely conservative and traditional family. Saving Face is a rare example of a lesbian romance film that doesn't end in tragedy, misery, death, or something similarly horrifying, which made it a welcome change of pace from most other lesbian movies I've seen/read about. It was at different times tense, emotional, nerve wrecking, and downright hilarious, easily making it the highlight of the bunch.
    • I woke up this morning, and for some amazing reason or another, I felt myself driven to the brink of insanity by the lustful need for a samurai movie. I'm not talking about some of the stupid stuff like The Last Samurai. I mean a real dyed-in-the-wool, honest-to-god samurai movie of the likes that you simply can't find on this side of the ocean. Something palpable, visceral and intense. With all of the moments that I would expect from a good movie in the genre.

However, there was a twist. I needed something "modern". That's right. I needed something a little more recent than my favorite in the genre - Harakiri. So, after trolling around Letterboxd for a Very Long Time, I finally stumbled across Blade of the Immortal. Having arrived in 2017, it wouldn't get more recent. However, the ratings for it didn't look particularly stellar so I tried to tone down my expectations quite a bit.

I should have left my expectations high. While the movie plods at times and takes a couple of jarring narrative shortcuts, the action is actually top notch and the main characters are so lovable that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The body count was quite nice as well. It was jarringly, stupidly high - both ending and beginning with jaw dropping illustrations painted red in martial fury, or something like that.

The cinematography brought me back to some of the other samurai movies that I've scene. Dramatic camera sweeps as foes face each other down, fighting scenes that flow through a variety of claustrophobic settings, and dramatic music at the right moments. The only thing that it was missing was a cherry blossom tree dropping leaves in the background as swords clashed. No worries, though, it made up for it with literal rivers of blood and some really beautiful imagery.

For the type of movie it was, the plot was actually really good. I didn't even really expect much in the way of plot, tbh, but this movie had a lot of twists and turns that left me pretty damn well amused with how the whole thing went. The actors and actresses were supreme and I never had any moment where a characterization threatened to tumble me out of my suspension of disbelief.

On the whole, my needs were met and I left the movie feeling quite satisfied. 10/10
    • Just finished watching Helter Skelter. I can summarize the movie in a single string of words - scary, inappropriate, tense, beautiful, aesthetic. That last word is key. I don't think that I've seen a movie in my life with such a heavy and ridiculous usage of scenery, music, camera, and sound. It had the feeling that a Quentin Tarantino movie usually gives me but more femme and a much richer tapestry of color.
    • It's Awards Season, babies!

Which means I finally watched Get Out (fantastic, creepy, not a comedy); was charmed by The Big Sick (summed up in a world - "likeable."); entertained-but-let-down by The Disaster Artist (would have been a better documentary); wept through Coco (top three Pixar movie); was intrigued by Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (also challenged by it); and engrossed by I, Tonya (not quite a redemption story).

Still much to see and much to look forward to before Oscar Night closes out the season. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I also watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies somewhere in there, which was fun and Matt Smith is a great Mr. Collins, but was overall just "fine."
    • Shinji Kagawa wrote:

I watched Lady Vengeance.

Brutal, chilling, and disturbing are probably the main words I would use to describe this movie. Not a bad film, but Oldboy was overall a better movie in my opinion.

Now, on to watch Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance to complete the trilogy I suppose. Though I want to watch Coco right now.

Ditto. Mr Vengeance is the only one of Park Chanwook's Vengeance Trilogy I haven't seen yet.
    • Been watching some more movies and I finished a couple instead of sleeping last night.
      - The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008)
      I actually really enjoyed this one, more than I thought I would.
      - A Bittersweet Life (2005)
      Another one I wasn't expecting to like. It was great. I'd consider it another favorite.
      - The Age of Shadows (2016)
      An interesting film.

I actually really want to watch A Moment to Remember (2004) and Secret Reunion (2010) now, since I'm already going through Korean cinema. I'll put Coco on hold for a while.
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /