Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    The Video Game Music Appreciation Thread: Bring the Noise, Bring the Ruckus!
    • I've been listening to this lately, it's from some N64 game that I had never heard about before. It's surprisingly catchy.

And then of course someone's made Super Mario World and Super Mario Sunshine remixes of it, and even a Megalovania (from Undertale) version, and they're arguably even better than the original, haha.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• Max N. wrote:

BackSet-Chan wrote:

The Ace Attorney games have some of the best music in video games. From Godot's calm smooth sax to the triumphant sound of the various pursuit themes. It kind of has too in order to convey the true feelings of the story.
      Agreed! The music is basically the reason the Ace Attorney games work at all.
      I guess you could say that the music is ace!
      Want to debunk bad non-Zelda theories?

gamtos wrote:

The Sheikah are mysterious magic wielders, and this basically makes them a fan-favorite band-aid over any unexplained part of the lore. It's the Zelda equivalent of saying "a wizard did it", but we're always claiming it to be the same wizard.
    • Nitro Indigo wrote:

Max N. wrote:

BackSet-Chan wrote:

The Ace Attorney games have some of the best music in video games. From Godot's calm smooth sax to the triumphant sound of the various pursuit themes. It kind of has too in order to convey the true feelings of the story.
      Agreed! The music is basically the reason the Ace Attorney games work at all.
      I guess you could say that the music is ace!
      Mmmmgggnnnnnn!

Asexual Pride Banner and Signature made by the glorious TruEdge67
    • Pound for pound, perhaps the best music in the entire Legend of Zelda series.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I posted a bunch of these in a different thread about video game soundtracks a while back, but since this seems to be the official thread now I'll post 'em here.

Persona 5 has already been fairly heavily represented here, but it's such a good soundtrack, y'all!

Obvious shoutout to the excellent Rivers in the Desert, which is probably my favourite track, but everyone picks that one. Others of note include Jaldabaoth, especially when fused with Our Beginning (which Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight does). Gotta also love Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There; The Whims of Fate; Life Will Change; Last Surprise; and, just, like, 90% of the soundtrack.

While on the topic of Persona, all the games have had excellent soundtracks, but the only one that really is an equal to P5 for me is P3. Unfortunately its OST was never officially released in English, so I'm not as familiar with it as I am P5's. Still, some of the songs stay with you, probably most notably Burn My Dread, which has two arrangements (opening and battle) and which is just a great theme in general, "burning" your dread so you can move forwards. The other big one is Mass Destruction (the battle theme for most fights). But my recent standout is kinda-sorta cheating, it's Our Moment from Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight, the opening song. It's so good y'all. The music itself is great to listen to (especially the way it samples Burn My Dread) but if you pay attention to the lyrics? It's a song welcoming back fans of Persona 3, essentially going "Hey, it's been a while, good to see you again! The time for fighting is over, so why don't we all just party and have fun?" and I love that.

Moving away from Persona, we've got Danganronpa, which also already has a bit of love here, but not a lot. All three main Danganronpa games have excellent soundtracks, very electronica but with heavy jazz influences and some stuff that's just their own. My favourite is probably Super Danganronpa 2, which is a nice combination of new tracks and new arrangements of ones from DR1.

Some standouts from across the series would be Danganronpa and its various arrangements (Danganronpa Super Mix, Danganronpa 2nd Gig, etc. Confusingly, the OST for DR1 calls this "Trigger Happy Havoc", and the song "Danganronpa!" is entirely different from the one called "Danganronpa" in the other OSTs), New World Order, Box 16, Debate Scrum, Kill Now, Argument (Turn Up The Heat), Kill Command, and Beautiful Lie. But, honestly, the whole thing is well-worth listening to.

On to one that hasn't seen any mention in this thread, and probably should have some: the Gravity Rush series. Not as memorable as the others I've posted, it's true, but still some solid soundtracks with some stand-out entries. Very rock-heavy with some jazz and, interestingly, folk influences, the soundtrack just meshes so well with the atmosphere and gameplay. Alas, some of my favourite songs aren't available for me to link to (understandably, perhaps, there are four discs in the official OST) and so had to be left out, but of those that I could find personal favourites include While You Work, Storm and Triumph, Pleajeune, A Cue Aun tu Oi / A Red Apple, and Electromagnetic Queen.

Of course, any soundtrack list of mine would is required to have NieR: Automata, which just has an excellent soundtrack, full of melancholy but with hope. I don't really need to talk this one up, do I? Standouts include A Beautiful Song, Voice of NO Return, Bipolar Nightmare, Peaceful Sleep, Amusement Park, and, of course, Weight of the World.

Trails in the Sky was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I linked to the song I best remember from it then (The Whereabouts of Light), but the games do have a stellar soundtrack that's well-worth checking out. The ones I especially want to highlight here that have yet to be mentioned are Gin No Ishi ["Silver Will"] and The Merciless Saviour from Trails in the Sky Second Chapter and Cry for Me, the theme for Trails in the Sky The 3rd.

Finally, my most recent jam has been the soundtrack to The House in Fata Morgana, which reminds me most of NieR: Automata's soundtrack. It's atmospheric and brooding when it needs to be, before switching to cheerful and happy during happier times. While NieR: Automata isn't a bad comparison, I've really not heard anything quite like it before. I posted some of my favourites from it in a different thread about it, but I'll re-list them here: The House in Fata Morgana, Labirintia, Delphinas, Ciao Carina, and Cicio.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• The opening to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is pretty great.

Feel the RAAAAAWK!
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

• One of the stronger tracks from Super Paper Mario, in my opinion.

• A lot of the music in Chibi-Robo! isn't very elaborate, since it's meant to serve as a backdrop to player-generated sounds, like the random notes produced by Chibi's footsteps (which vary in timbre depending on the kind of surface he's walking on). In fact, when Chibi picks up his plug to run faster, the background music gets faster too so that it will still line up with his steps. However, there are a few actual tracks in the game, such as this one—Drake Redcrest Forever!