Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Weird Spots on the BotW map
    • Okay, so here I am, picking spots the Hero's Path says I haven't been to yet, when I come across the place name "Spool Bight" on the map. It's visible from the mid-range map, not just one of those little places you have to zoom in on. It's off the eastern coast, south of Davdi Island.

So, thinking there must be a little island out thwre or something, maybe a Korok seed, I go to take a look. Jump off the mountainside, just gliding out to sea ...

There's nothing there, except for a lone, swimming lizardfos. No land at all.

So weird that they'd bother giving a place such a prominent name, then put nothing there.

What do you guys think? DLC stuff that's yet to be added? Some forgotten place lost in development?

So, have you guys come across any seemingly important spots on the map, only to find nothing much, or other mysterious places?

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Armour, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption"

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • I was just looking over the map for BotW while plotting out the "Hero's Path" for my fanfic, when something odd occured to me about Ploymus Mountain near Zora's Domain. That's the mountain where you fight a Lynel to get shock arrows.

Anyway, unlike pretty much everything else in the area, Ploymus Mountain is *not* named after a famous Zora, or Zora-related things in past Zelda games, which makes it stand out, especially since it's a story-relevant location. Ploymus, however, is phoenetically very close to Polythemus. That's the name of the Cyclops that Odyessus fights in the Odessey.

Anyway, based on the similarity between the two words, I think we were originally supposed to fight a Hinox on Ploymus Mountain, not a Lynel. The Lynel makes more sense for BotW's story, however, since they actually use arrows, while Hinoxes don't.

Still, it's interesting to see areas where developers may have had one thing in mind, then changed it later on, while still leaving clues to its potential original intent.

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • There is a sidequest in Zora's Domain that has you fighting a Hinox near Ralis Pond. Maybe that's the one that was meant for Ploymus Mountain.

Mount Agaat is interesting, because it has a name but you can't actually explore it. You just get a "You can't go any farther" message when you try to climb it.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Fun fact: Cuccos do not spontaneously combust, even on Death Mountain.
    • In the continuing adventures of Violetlight as she finds cool areas for her fanfic and/or goes Korok Seed hunting:

Found a little pool just a short ways west of Bone Pond in the Lanayru Wetlands. It's pretty much in line with the bridge across the pond, and there's a little valley leading up to the pool. In the pool is the rusted shell of a broken down guardian.

This is the closest broken Guardian I've found to Zora's Domain. Could it be that this very Guardian is the one that King Dorephan literally tossed out of Zora's Domain, as described in his Zora Monument?

I wish there was a way to confirm whether or not this is the one in game. If so, he threw that thing one heck of a ways! Let's hope for Link's sake he never pisses Dorephan off. There's no Sheikah tech in BotW's universe or any other that could bring you back from a beatdown from an angry Zora King the size of a whale! Maybe they should have just sicced him on Calamity Ganon!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Violetlight ().

• Any chance it's a flying guardian? The one in the story is supposed to have entered Zora's Domain through Upland Zorana, which is, well, a giant wall. A flying guardian would have had a much easier time getting over that than the walking variety. It might help to explain how he threw it so far, too; they're probably lighter and it may have been damaged but still trying to keep itself in the air.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Fun fact: Cuccos do not spontaneously combust, even on Death Mountain.
    • Unfortunately it's just an ordinary Guardian Stalker. I haven't seen any flying Guardian remains at all, come to think of it. I guess it's possible that it could have been a flying one, with the identifying pieces having worn off over time, but it doesn't look any different than say, the ones dotting the swamp between the Dueling Peaks Stable and Hateno Village. There aren't any legs in the wreckage in the pool, so I suppose it's possible.