Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    They dropped the ball on Master Kohga and the Yiga Clan.
    • Now, I like both the Yiga Clan and Master Kohga as they are. They have a lot of personality, their hideout is one of the highlights, and they're just entertaining all-around.

But despite my enjoyment of them they are pure, concentrated wasted potential. They could have gone into depth and given us a fascinating plotline detailing the specifics of why the Yiga Clan split from the Sheikah to side with Ganon and gone more into the rivalry between them and the Sheikah; closest we got was that one sidequest in Kakariko. We should have gotten so much more from them. And Kohga really should've been a more compelling villain as opposed to a one-and-done comic relief character.

Ah well. Guess I can only hope that they bring the Yiga Clan back and do the idea justice.

EDIT: I just realized the title is a joke. Because you drop a ball on Kohga. Hee.
      Read my latest article on my top ten Zelda bosses: willtendo.com/2017/11/24/willt…nks-top-ten-zelda-bosses/

The post was edited 1 time, last by Willtendo ().

• I really love the stealth segment for the Yiga Clan. It's obviously a throwback to sneaking around the Gerudo Hideout in OoT.
      As soon as I got to that section that's the very first thing that came to my head, as I'm sure many others had the same thought too.
      The execution of the stealth segment was pretty perfect IMO, but I will admit the story segment towards the end kind of made everything.. crumble.

Master Kohga can't be the final leader of the clan. Or there at least must be another version of him we haven't seen yet.
      Remember how non-threatening Ghirahim was until we saw him at the end of SS? He turned from weirdo into absolute fking maniac that I was actually scared of facing - and his fight was no joke. It took a lot of skill to master it (That may be because of shitty motion controls.. but still).

I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them yet. Maybe we'll see more of them in future DLC or some kind of lore, provided the Breath of the wild explorer's edition has some info.
      Psn: Zugioh
      Nintendo ID: HeroOfClocktown
      --

• I dislike how little the team seems to agree on whether or not they're edgy. There's such an odd disconnect between
      "we were shunned for our technology. Outcast. Now we pledge allegiance to Ganon. If anyone of us seeks to betray their brothers, we will kill their families."
      and
      "Oooh, banana!"

Partial signature credit to Eternalegend
    • gamtos wrote:

I dislike how little the team seems to agree on whether or not they're edgy. There's such an odd disconnect between
      "we were shunned for our technology. Outcast. Now we pledge allegiance to Ganon. If anyone of us seeks to betray their brothers, we will kill their families."
      and
      "Oooh, banana!"
      Sounds like a good parallel to the tone of the Zelda franchise as a whole, doesn't it?
    • I have to agree. I found the entire clan absolutely hysterical, but at the same time, this is a tribe of non-ambiguously renegade Sheikah, making this the first time we've ever canonically seen that. Why did this have to be squandered with a silly tribe obsessed with bananas?
      "Lust... greed... sloth... gluttony... envy... wrath... pride. These are the seven deadly sins of man. In excess, any one of these will ruin a person- but one must understand all seven, if one is to understand humanity." -Von Hohenheim (FMA: Brotherhood)
    • Also have to say I was pretty disappointed with Impa in this game after we got the best Impa ever back in Skyward Sword. Sucks to trade that in for what may be the worst Impa ever.

Like, if they want to make her an old woman variant, fine, but at least do something interesting and dignified with it like in Skyward Sword. She looks HIDEOUS in Breath of the Wild. Not at all :fabulous: .

Was also expecting more of a story role for her. We should have gotten a flashback cutscene of her VS. Kohga or something.
    • For me the Yiga Clan is pretty much forever ruined. I just can't take them seriously after seeing (and hearing) their obsession of bananas. And my impression didn't get any better after facing Kohga. :lol:

It felt like I was playing Paper Mario for a second, which I would love to have on the Switch by the way. But Kohga and the Yiga Clan don't belong in the Zelda universe as villains in my opinion, they just stand out in a very bad way. I am not saying that comical elements shouldn't exist in Zelda, but not along with villains, just no.
    • Bill wrote:

The Master Kohga boss fight sucked. Thankfully, it was a very small part of the game. It felt like a boss-fight thatwas ripped out of Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.

What? Say what you want about Zant, but even when he got insane he wasn't a joke nor a clown.

Insanity /= clown.

And Wind Waker, the only boss I can think of is the giant ghost (which I never liked) but even that one wasn't even near as comical as Kohga with all his dialogue and clumsiness.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• I meant more from a game-play perspective. Felt more like a glorified puzzle than a battle. "Hey, I'll conveniently hold this rock over my head, and then I'll do it twice more because it worked so well the first time."

In contrast, the Ganon Blights (as well as Calamity Ganon) had fairly boring/repetitive designs, but at least they felt like actual fights.

Ideally, the next game will feature boss fights that combine the game-play design of Breath of the Wild with the more interesting character design of previous Zelda games.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Bill ().

• Bill wrote:

I meant more from a game-play perspective. Felt more like a glorified puzzle than a battle. "Hey, I'll conveniently hold this rock over my head, and then I'll do it twice more because it worked so well the first time."

In contrast, the Ganon Blights (as well as Calamity Ganon) had fairly boring/repetitive designs, but at least they felt like actual fights.

Ideally, the next game will feature boss fights that combine the game-play design of Breath of the Wild with the character design of previous Zelda games.

Right, ok, I get you. The 3D Zelda game that handled boss-fights best to this day must be Majora's Mask (N64-version) in my opinion, with the exception of Twinmold. I really liked how Odolwa was just like an enemy but harder and more powerful with a lot of moves. That is how bosses should be in my opinion, just like regular enemies but bigger, more dangerous and more moves/surprises. I really liked to race with Goht, but then the 3D-version completely ruined that, and all the bosses honestly with their stupid eyes and other shenanigans. Honestly, the Lynels served as much better boss fights than any of the Blight Ganons or Kohga in my opinion. Even the Guardian Stalkers before they turned into a joke.

Breath of the Wild pretty much went all Mario with the boss-structure; Ganon, Ganon, Ganon, Ganon, and... Ganon, "The End". I really liked Super Mario Sunshine in that it didn't just spam Bowser in your face, but just for the very last fight. I really don't appreciate repetitive boss-fights.

And @Zugioh I have no clue what you are talking about in regards to Ghirahim. The first encounter with Ghirahim was dark and menacing. Talked about bloodshed and how he seemed to toy around with you... how he drew out his tongue and his laugh. Quite the opposite to Master Kohga eh?
    • Yes, the main point is that I don't want the fight to feel like a puzzle. I'm all for a "cerebral" element to distinguish Zelda from a standard action game, but at the end of the day, it should still feel like a fight. The formula they used from OoT to SS (essentially execute a predetermined pattern three times) had become not only contrived but incredibly stale.

The best case scenario for me would be boss fights that incorporate choice, strategy and action. This is completely different than a puzzle. Look to Resident Evil 4 for one example. Breath of the Wild was a huge step in the right direction from a game-play perspective, but it was bogged down by the repetitive designs. There is no reason we can't have good game-play and interesting boss character design. On top of that, if they can somehow flesh out a decent back-story (see: Volavigia, OoT) even better.
    • I think the Yiga Clan came off as cool for a while, but ultimately was a letdown. We had this mysterious group that was the polar opposite of the Shiekah, instead of serving the royal family they served Ganon. We see them attack Zelda in a Memory, and they were even so bold as to raid the Geudo for their royalty's magic heirloom. One of the sidequests shows just how brutal they can be to those they considered defectors, killing one man's wife and threatening to kill his children next.

Very intriguing, right? That is, until you get to their strange fetish for bananas, and the goofy Master Kolga. Then the magic falls apart, and the illusion they are this lethal new enemy, dies.

Unfortunately they might have been just wasted potential. Unless the next game brings them back but removes the goofiness, I don't see them being a decent new enemy to add to the baddie roster.
    • Leave.

Seriously though I'd love it if the DLC was about the secret puppetmaster of the Yiga.
      A tough-as-hell Fire Lord Ozai type of boss to redeem their buildup.

I just can't picture the Yiga and Sheikah are not in some way related to the champions.
      The Divine Beasts were the Sheikah's greatest technological weapon. The Yiga were born from the fear of Sheikah technology.
      And yet, they're petty criminals who show virtually no mastery of technology. The only one who does is only a master of Magnesis, and far too incompetent to lead a notorious gang.
      Ganon takes over the guardians with no problem. His blights and calamity form are armed with Sheikah technology. But this is never explained.

There's an enormous piece of the puzzle missing. The DLC has a narrative obligation to sort this mess out.

Partial signature credit to Eternalegend

The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().