Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Skyward Sword has too much crying in it
  • Is the real issue here because Zelda and Link have a mildy implied romance? I don't think it has to do with her crying at all. You seem very defensive of Link as a character, and you hold him close because you relate to him--I see you pointing out "autistic traits" that he exhibits. Are you mad seeing someone you headcanon as autistic being with someone like Zelda? The arguments in this thread are going in circles, and I think there's something else that's actually bothering you because these arguments don't make any sense.

...But until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.

• BY THE ANCIENT ELDRITCH POWER OF @ I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED TO THIS THREAD.

PurpleandRed wrote:

Video games need to stop using so much drama and/or violence and I think it's because of the high quality graphics is why video games are so dramatic and violent now.
    Counterpoint: the original Mortal Kombat came out in 1992, and this gif speaks for itself:

This is what the same move looks like in the most recent MK game:

In 1993, the original DOOM came out. I managed to find a gif that summarizes the evolution of graphic violence in the DOOM series:

Games didn't get more violent, the graphics just got more detailed.
  • Francis wrote:

Is the real issue here because Zelda and Link have a mildy implied romance? I don't think it has to do with her crying at all. You seem very defensive of Link as a character, and you hold him close because you relate to him--I see you pointing out "autistic traits" that he exhibits. Are you mad seeing someone you headcanon as autistic being with someone like Zelda? The arguments in this thread are going in circles, and I think there's something else that's actually bothering you because these arguments don't make any sense.
    Well, yeah, my real issue with Zelda as a character in general has seemed to come out from her relationship with Link. Because when I first started disliking her when I started playing OOT at the age of 13 was because of her interactions with Link. I don't have a problem with her being Shiek, but her being just being Zelda instead of Shiek and her interactions with Link rub me the wrong way. Like how she whines when I get hit by a meteorite or the final boss while I am following her towards the end of the game. The two seemed to be friends in the OOT game and I don't like that.

I don't think that I had much of an opinion on Link back when I was playing OOT. Maybe a little crush but I don't know. I just never liked Zelink. But now, I love him a lot now and I'd rather for him to be with someone like Malon or Saria rather than Zelda. I always preferred Link x Saria and Link x Malon in OOT more.

I saw a bit of the ending of the game a little while ago and that ending rubbed me the wrong way, too, her taking Link back to his childhood, where he encounters so much hardships.

I did have trauma in my life in my childhood and that's what made me suppress my emotions even more so it's hard for me to understand people crying. Nobody told me that I shouldn't cry but I always would hold back my tears and suppress my emotions whenever I feel like crying in front of someone that is not my mom, my grandpa, or some of my cousins. I never cried very much in public or around friends or anyone else.

I also have a problem with girls, which may have tied back to my trauma and I always would gravitate to fictional male characters more. I don't hate all females or all female fictional characters but I tend to have this attitude toward female characters moreso than I do male characters.

The post was edited 2 times, last by PurpleandRed ().

Post by cochramd ().

This post was deleted by HollowmanOfEoL: A little bit too personal ().

Post by cochramd ().

This post was deleted by HollowmanOfEoL: A little bit too personal ().
  • For the record, I do think the game could have given us a few more scenes or moments to establish the connection between Zelda and Link.

Wind Waker does a phenomenal job with Aryll, making me want to go out to sea and whack a bird with an oversized hammer for hurting my sister. The crazed emotion of Link nearly running off a cliff in pursuit is pretty powerful.

Most games don't make me care enough for Princess Zelda to feel like I'm doing anything for her. It's always about saving the world for me. And so, her speeches or sad moments usually fail to leave an impression.

BOTW did a much better job with this. I think it was the first time I actually wanted to charge the castle just to save the princess.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

• Going to have to completely disagree with that and assert that Skyward Sword did what was far and away the best job of making me care about Zelda.

We had the establishment of the connection of Link and Zelda as childhood friends right off the bat, which is such an anamoly, and we got to see their adorable interactions before Zelda was kidnapped, and from that point you have several moments of just barely missing Zelda, which only fuels that desire to find her further. And it helps that SS Link shows more emotion over the matter than any other Link. The point where Zelda is encased in that crystal and Link starts crying was probably the peak of me caring about Zelda as a character.
    Read my latest article on why the :fabulous: Lord Ghirahim is the best Zelda villain: willtendo.com/2018/01/09/willt…s-the-best-zelda-villain/
  • Oh, certainly agreed that Link's emotions were overall nicely handled. The look of fury he gives Ghirahim after he waltzes in and takes Zelda away is engraved in my SKULL.

As for their relationship, I dunno, I would've liked a few more details concerning his life on Skyloft and moments he had with Zelda before any of this happened, but I suppose the entire island is secretive about Link's past in this regard.
  • I don’t like how secretive Zelda games are about Link’s past in general. OoT works in that it’s acknowledged that his presence is an anamoly and that there’s some mystery behind it, but other times you’re just supposed to accept that he’s some random dude existing in whichever given town for no apparent reason.

And if you think about it, there was no reason Link had to be some random guy living on his own in TP rather than the son of Rusl and elder brother of Colin. They were already like father and brother figures to him, they may as well have outright made them family.
  • well think about this... Link and zelda is in the sky era right? just now learning about their life, because of the era of creation, they didn't know about love or emotions until around the age of being a teen? right?...Am I right!?
    WE ARE TENKAI FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Check out ALL of my other Youtube channels:
    youtube.com/channel/UCKkpgRb74yroa2XelXDHrlg/videos
    ( MAIN CHANNEL),
    youtube.com/channel/UCG3TE-B01GUV4rKzfLF7_aQ
    (2nd Channel),
    and: youtube.com/channel/UCeR1MdUQlBksuXE2OMg0G1w
    (SPECIAL CHANNEL)

!!!I DON'T RECOMMEND THE LAST 2 CHANNELS!!!
  • Willtendo wrote:

Going to have to completely disagree with that and assert that Skyward Sword did what was far and away the best job of making me care about Zelda.

We had the establishment of the connection of Link and Zelda as childhood friends right off the bat, which is such an anamoly, and we got to see their adorable interactions before Zelda was kidnapped, and from that point you have several moments of just barely missing Zelda, which only fuels that desire to find her further. And it helps that SS Link shows more emotion over the matter than any other Link. The point where Zelda is encased in that crystal and Link starts crying was probably the peak of me caring about Zelda as a character.
    But that little brat Zelda triangle lip pushed Link off the cliff, flirts with him, and jumps into his loftbird. I could care less if she was in that crystal, I was glad that she was in the crystal, not sad.
  • PurpleandRed wrote:

Willtendo wrote:

Going to have to completely disagree with that and assert that Skyward Sword did what was far and away the best job of making me care about Zelda.

But that little brat Zelda triangle lip pushed Link off the cliff, flirts with him, and jumps into his loftbird. I could care less if she was in that crystal, I was glad that she was in the crystal, not sad.

Well, I think you might be a bit of a special case in regards to your feelings towards SS Zelda.
  • Willtendo wrote:

PurpleandRed wrote:

Willtendo wrote:

Well, I think you might be a bit of a special case in regards to your feelings towards SS Zelda.
    Well, I'm very CRITICAL when it comes to fiction and I don't tend to get that emotional over most fictions.
  • PurpleandRed wrote:

But that little brat Zelda triangle lip pushed Link off the cliff
    As discussed elsewhere, this is culturally equivalent to pushing an excellent swimmer into a deep body of water, and is nothing to get upset about.

flirts with him
    I see no reason to be upset about this.

and jumps into his loftbird
    Culturally equivalent to jumping into someone's car or onto their motorcycle. Again, nothing to get upset about.
  • cochramd wrote:

PurpleandRed wrote:

But that little brat Zelda triangle lip pushed Link off the cliff
    As discussed elsewhere, this is culturally equivalent to pushing an excellent swimmer into a deep body of water, and is nothing to get upset about.
    flirts with him
    I see no reason to be upset about this.
    and jumps into his loftbird
    Culturally equivalent to jumping into someone's car or onto their motorcycle. Again, nothing to get upset about.
    Well, that last one might be a bit eccentric as you wouldn't jump into someone's moving car or motorcycle.