Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Why we should change the Canon policy, and consider Hyrule Warriors as Canon.
    • Initially Hyrule Warriors was deemed as non canon by the fanbase. Aonuma said it was not a part of the main timeline, thus not a part of the main story. However he said it does exist in the Zelda universe, albeit in another dimension.1

      Recently, we have found out that currently, Breath of the Wild does not exist on the Zelda timeline either, thus it's currently not part of the main story until a placement is decided.2 However, Breath of the Wild is obviously canon. Aonuma currently does not know where it would fit, that is if he even decides to fit it into the timeline at all. So to be consistent, Hyrule Warriors existing in another dimension should be considered canon too.

      Both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild take place after Ocarina of time. In Hyrule Warriors this is blatantly evident from the plot where portals to the Ocarina of Time Era, Skyward Sword era, and Twilight Princess open up. In Breath of the Wild this is evident from an interview with Aonuma,3 as well as references to Ganondorf's Gerduo form, the Divine Beasts named after the Sages, Lon Lon Ranch, the Temple of Time and other in game references.

      Both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild follow the events of the main timeline (set after Ocarina of Time), but they are not on the actual timeline themselves. Not being on the timeline used to be enough to deem a game non-canon, however with recent news this should change.

      Thus Hyrule Warriors should be considered canon or at least semi-canon, as existing in another dimension, is still existing.1 Especially since Breath of the Wild retains canon status despite not being on the timeline either.2

      ___________________________________________________________________________________________
      Proof of Facts (Sources):
      1. "Within the Zelda canon, there is the timeline, but there has always been the sense of the main story and kind of a side story. Like, Majora's Mask might be considered part of that, though it does exist as part of the timeline. With Hyrule Warriors, there is a link between the two, but it exists as a separate dimension, so it doesn't exist as part of the main canon.", Eiji Aonuma -Eiji Aonuma Addresses Hyrule Warriors Place in the Zelda Timeline
      2. "Actually, those timeline-related questions are difficult because we’ve never designed any Zelda games by saying “hey, we’re going to put that game here, we need to have it fit into this period or that one, etc.” That’s not what comes first for us. But indeed, once the game is released and we’ve been able to develop our story, we can tell each other “oh yes, we can make it fit here”, but that’s not important to us. Especially since there could be contradictions in every new game if we tried to follow the timeline. If we can put a game in the timeline, that’s great, but as for Breath of the Wild, we haven’t really decided where it belongs for now.", Eiji Aonuma - Zelda: Breath of the Wild devs on why Hero’s Path Mode was added as DLC, timeline, more
      3. Ben Reeves: "Does Breath of the Wild take place before or after Ocarina of Time?"
        Eiji Aonuma: "After."
        - Questions And Answers About The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
      You may disagree with me on this thread, but I can guarantee you'll agree with me on another :3nod

      "That knight was none other than you, Link."

      The post was edited 4 times, last by HylianKnight ().

    • HylianKnight wrote:

      "With Hyrule Warriors, there is a link between the two, but it exists as a separate dimension, so it doesn't exist as part of the main canon.", Eiji Aonuma
      The bold and underlined text above means no matter what anyone thinks on the matter, Hyrule Warriors will never be canon. There will never even be a point where it treated as anything other than non-canon. To treat it otherwise is to completely ignore what Eiji Aonuma said.
      Also, semi-canon is not something that currently exists on the wiki and it is not something that we plan to introduce. Ambiguously Canon exists but that is for situations where there is no indication if a game or another piece of media occurs on the timeline but there is nothing that prevents it from occurring on the timeline.

      HylianKnight wrote:

      Both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild take place after Ocarina of time. In Hyrule Warriors this is blatantly evident from the plot where portals to the Ocarina of Time Era, Skyward Sword era, and Twilight Princess open up.
      No, only Breath of the Wild does. In Hyrule Warriors, portals were opened to two opposing timelines. Obviously, there's no issue with the Sky Era Hyrule. But the Era of Twilight Hyrule exists in the Child Timeline and the version of Hyrule in the Era of the Hero of Time portal never existed in the Child Timeline as Zora's Domain was never frozen over in the Child Timeline. Darunia and Ruto are also implied to have previously aided Hyrule in their bios, which also never happened in the Child Timeline. Even if you overlook the Era of the Hero of Time, in the continuation of the story shown in Hyrule Warriors Legends, a portal was also opened to the Era of the Great Sea, which only exists in the Adult Timeline. Given this, being able to open a portal to these Eras can not be used as evidence that it occurs after that Era as Hyrule Warriors (and Legends) would need to happen in two Timelines simultaneously.


      HylianKnight wrote:

      Recently, we have found out that currently, Breath of the Wild does not exist on the Zelda timeline either, thus it's currently not part of the main story until a placement is decided.2 However, Breath of the Wild is obviously canon. Aonuma currently does not know where it would fit, that is if he even decides to fit it into the timeline at all. So to be consistent, Hyrule Warriors existing in another dimension should be considered canon too.

      ___________________________________________________________________________________________
      Proof of Facts (Sources):
      "Actually, those timeline-related questions are difficult because we’ve never designed any Zelda games by saying “hey, we’re going to put that game here, we need to have it fit into this period or that one, etc.” That’s not what comes first for us. But indeed, once the game is released and we’ve been able to develop our story, we can tell each other “oh yes, we can make it fit here”, but that’s not important to us. Especially since there could be contradictions in every new game if we tried to follow the timeline. If we can put a game in the timeline, that’s great, but as for Breath of the Wild, we haven’t really decided where it belongs for now.", Eiji Aonuma - Zelda: Breath of the Wild devs on why Hero’s Path Mode was added as DLC, timeline, more
      Not being sure where it belongs on the timeline =/= not existing on the timeline or in the main canon.
      Aonuma has decided that it belongs somewhere after Ocarina of Time but has not finalized where. Likely because as he says, deciding where something fits is not important to them.
    • As Link Lab already stated, the Wiki Team is sorry but we simply cannot consider it canon when Aonuma directly stated himself that it is not. In addition, Hyrule Warriors is repeatedly omitted when the main series of Zelda games are listed, such as in Arts & Artifacts. Aonuma has also stated that Breath of the Wild is in the timeline. Even if he never decides where it is exactly, that is definitive proof that it coexists somewhere with the rest of the current Zelda canon. Again, we apologize, but please direct your argument to Mr. Aonuma, the Zelda team, and Nintendo if you wish to see this change.
    • Link Lab wrote:

      HylianKnight wrote:

      "With Hyrule Warriors, there is a link between the two, but it exists as a separate dimension, so it doesn't exist as part of the main canon.", Eiji Aonuma
      The bold and underlined text above means no matter what anyone thinks on the matter, Hyrule Warriors will never be canon. There will never even be a point where it treated as anything other than non-canon. To treat it otherwise is to completely ignore what Eiji Aonuma said.Also, semi-canon is not something that currently exists on the wiki and it is not something that we plan to introduce. Ambiguously Canon exists but that is for situations where there is no indication if a game or another piece of media occurs on the timeline but there is nothing that prevents it from occurring on the timeline.

      Mr. Aonuma said:

      "but it exists as a separate dimension, so it doesn't exist as part of the main canon".


      Not the main canon doesn't necessarily mean not canon at all. It could just as much mean it's a side canon, or as he describes it as "separate dimension". No reason why alternate dimensions can't be considered canon when Lorule or Termina are considered canon.

      Zeldapedia uses the term subseries to define Hyrule Warriors' canon, as it's described as a separate dimension. I think that's the perfect term to state that it's not a part of the main timeline, but it still exists. Non Canon implies that it doesn't exist at all. It's the perfect balance.

      Link Lab wrote:

      HylianKnight wrote:

      Both Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild take place after Ocarina of time. In Hyrule Warriors this is blatantly evident from the plot where portals to the Ocarina of Time Era, Skyward Sword era, and Twilight Princess open up.
      No, only Breath of the Wild does. In Hyrule Warriors, portals were opened to two opposing timelines. Obviously, there's no issue with the Sky Era Hyrule. But the Era of Twilight Hyrule exists in the Child Timeline and the version of Hyrule in the Era of the Hero of Time portal never existed in the Child Timeline as Zora's Domain was never frozen over in the Child Timeline. Darunia and Ruto are also implied to have previously aided Hyrule in their bios, which also never happened in the Child Timeline. Even if you overlook the Era of the Hero of Time, in the continuation of the story shown in Hyrule Warriors Legends, a portal was also opened to the Era of the Great Sea, which only exists in the Adult Timeline. Given this, being able to open a portal to these Eras can not be used as evidence that it occurs after that Era as Hyrule Warriors (and Legends) would need to happen in two Timelines simultaneously.


      Rather than debating the theories if the eras are from the past or separate timeline, we can look at the fact that, as you say, Sky Era Hyrule is on the same timeline as Hyrule Warriors.

      If the argument is: Breath of the Wild is canon, as it takes place after Ocarina of Time.

      We could also say: Hyrule Warriors is canon, as it takes place after Skyward Sword.

      Link Lab wrote:

      HylianKnight wrote:

      Recently, we have found out that currently, Breath of the Wild does not exist on the Zelda timeline either, thus it's currently not part of the main story until a placement is decided.2 However, Breath of the Wild is obviously canon. Aonuma currently does not know where it would fit, that is if he even decides to fit it into the timeline at all. So to be consistent, Hyrule Warriors existing in another dimension should be considered canon too.

      ___________________________________________________________________________________________
      Proof of Facts (Sources):
      "Actually, those timeline-related questions are difficult because we’ve never designed any Zelda games by saying “hey, we’re going to put that game here, we need to have it fit into this period or that one, etc.” That’s not what comes first for us. But indeed, once the game is released and we’ve been able to develop our story, we can tell each other “oh yes, we can make it fit here”, but that’s not important to us. Especially since there could be contradictions in every new game if we tried to follow the timeline. If we can put a game in the timeline, that’s great, but as for Breath of the Wild, we haven’t really decided where it belongs for now.", Eiji Aonuma - Zelda: Breath of the Wild devs on why Hero’s Path Mode was added as DLC, timeline, more
      Not being sure where it belongs on the timeline =/= not existing on the timeline or in the main canon.Aonuma has decided that it belongs somewhere after Ocarina of Time but has not finalized where. Likely because as he says, deciding where something fits is not important to them.


      As of right now though, Breath of the Wild doesn't have a place on the timeline. It could in the future, but right now it's quite literally sitting in a void. If the chief developer of the Zelda series doesn't even know where it would take place, it currently doesn't take place anywhere other than, as you say: after Ocarina of Time.

      That's the exact same ammount of timeline justification that Hyrule Warriors has: after Skyward Sword.
      You may disagree with me on this thread, but I can guarantee you'll agree with me on another :3nod

      "That knight was none other than you, Link."

      The post was edited 1 time, last by HylianKnight ().

    • Hylian_Pi wrote:

      As Link Lab already stated, the Wiki Team is sorry but we simply cannot consider it canon when Aonuma directly stated himself that it is not. In addition, Hyrule Warriors is repeatedly omitted when the main series of Zelda games are listed, such as in Arts & Artifacts. Aonuma has also stated that Breath of the Wild is in the timeline. Even if he never decides where it is exactly, that is definitive proof that it coexists somewhere with the rest of the current Zelda canon. Again, we apologize, but please direct your argument to Mr. Aonuma, the Zelda team, and Nintendo if you wish to see this change.
      Fair enough. I still strongly feel that "Not the main canon" still leaves room for it being a separate side canon, existing, albeit in another dimension as Aonuma puts it. The issue with non canon is that label implies that it's not a part of the Zelda universe's lore whatsoever. Hence why I think adopting Zeldapedia's Subseries descriptor is more accurate as it at least acknowledges the "separate dimension" part of Aonuma's comment. As we know, Lorule and Termina count as canon despite being separate dimensions.

      I understand that this proposal is declined however, thank you for taking the time to read and consider it.
      You may disagree with me on this thread, but I can guarantee you'll agree with me on another :3nod

      "That knight was none other than you, Link."

      The post was edited 3 times, last by HylianKnight ().

    • The difference is that HW is stated to take place outside the main canon, so, from a main canon perspective, it would be non-canon to it. The main issues is that, well, it's not canon to the main canon (I'll be allergic to the word canon after this).

      Meanwhile, BotW has only been stated to 1) take place after Ocarina of Time and 2) take place at the end of a timeline. What do we draw from this? That BotW is indeed part of the main timeline, and thus, main canon. It's a canon game.
    • I agree that there was no good reason to dub HW as non-canon. It had as good a story as many of the Zelda installments, and unless the writers have a different idea regarding how the timelines will potentially interact in canon (spoiler: they don’t...that would require forethought) then there is no reason not to consider it an official installment.

      As far as the BotW quote, I don’t think he is suggesting that it is non-canon at the moment, just that it’s placement in the timeline is currently ambiguous. BotW is certainly canon.

      The thing to remember is that the Zelda franchise is now very similar to the dc continuity. There are multiple “dimensions” (earth 2, etc) but also multiple timelines within that multiverse (like when flash goes back and changes the past). Those two things work independently. In Zelda, the three timelines are different possibilities within the same “dimension” or “Hyrule”. HW is a different Hyrule entirely.
      My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

      “It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Castigear ().

    • Why not consider Hyrule warriors canon? I mean, the spin-off has EVERY DLC ,besides BOTW, canon! soo.....
      WE ARE TENKAI FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Check out ALL of my other Youtube channels:
      youtube.com/channel/UCKkpgRb74yroa2XelXDHrlg/videos
      ( MAIN CHANNEL),
      youtube.com/channel/UCG3TE-B01GUV4rKzfLF7_aQ
      (2nd Channel),
      and: youtube.com/channel/UCeR1MdUQlBksuXE2OMg0G1w
      (SPECIAL CHANNEL)


      !!!I DON'T RECOMMEND THE LAST 2 CHANNELS!!!