Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    I gotta say the CDI games I think made me hate humans
    • Like, the visceral hatred for fun in these games has got to be the most apparent in gaming. You could show them to a blind, deaf man and he would still tear out his eyes and shove them in his ears. Trying to find someone who enjoys these games is like trying to find Benjamin Franklins sex dungeon. I cannot stress this enough that this could be used as a torture device more effective than waterboarding. Move over Barney there is a new way to get false confessions!
      “I don’t understand how people… live. It’s amazing to me that people wake up every morning and say: ‘Yeah, another day, let’s do it.’ How do people do it? I don’t know how.”

Current Interests: Getting through tomorrow

Din Clan Resident Historian 2016!!!! :moon:
    • I mainly don't like the graphics. Usually I don't mind so that takes a lot coming from me. I mean I think even you can look at Adventures of Zelda or whatever the second one was called and say that the graphics make you want to go blind. I mean look at this:
      “I don’t understand how people… live. It’s amazing to me that people wake up every morning and say: ‘Yeah, another day, let’s do it.’ How do people do it? I don’t know how.”

• If Assassin's Creed 3 is accurate, Ben Franklin was a horny old bugger:

Assassin's Creed Ben Franklin Sex talk

So his sex dungeon may be a bit more likely than finding someone who likes the CD-i games. :P

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • Majoras Moon wrote:

I mainly don't like the graphics. Usually I don't mind so that takes a lot coming from me. I mean I think even you can look at Adventures of Zelda or whatever the second one was called and say that the graphics make you want to go blind. I mean look at this:
      Blah blah this was 1994.

Let's look at the much-beloved Final Fantasy VII.

Like... OUCH. You could kill someone with that hair. And those arms look like Pepsi bottles or something. Yikes!
    • The voice acting is like they just found a bunch of people in the office and told them to do it for five bucks and a trip to Pizza Hut.

• HollowmanOfEoL wrote:

I know of people that likes the CD-i games.
      Are those people like...masochistic or something?

The Missing Link wrote:

Cometh ye filthy Scoundrel. Alloweth me to introduce your Personage to my Esteemed Collection of naked Sketches of George Washington.
      Can I try some of the stuff you're currently on?

But in all seriousness, yea. These games are BAD! Like horrendously bad. Like the developers should have their head skewered through with my fist bad.

But then again, anyone knows Legend of Zelda knows these games and how bad they are.
    • Majoras Moon wrote:

The voice acting is like they just found a bunch of people in the office and told them to do it for five bucks and a trip to Pizza Hut.

And your point is?

Shall I relate these to the Zelda cartoon, which many people have said is "so bad it's good"? What differentiates this from that?

Please name for me any other game out there with bad voice acting that, upon witnessing it, ruined every other part of the game for you. Go ahead: Several gamez with atrocious acting are out there. But if it has good gameplay, is gameplay ruined by a minor part of the game?

Keyaki wrote:

Can I try some of the stuff you're currently on?
      But in all seriousness, yea. These games are BAD! Like horrendously bad. Like the developers should have their head skewered through with my fist bad.

But then again, anyone knows Legend of Zelda knows these games and how bad they are.

Have you played them?

No wait, let me ask a more specific question.

Did you play them when they first came out in 1993 and 1994, like I did?
      Mah boi, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!
    • The Missing Link wrote:

And your point is?

Shall I relate these to the Zelda cartoon, which many people have said is "so bad it's good"? What differentiates this from that?

Please name for me any other game out there with bad voice acting that, upon witnessing it, ruined every other part of the game for you. Go ahead: Several gamez with atrocious acting are out there. But if it has good gameplay, is gameplay ruined by a minor part of the game?
      Not gonna say it ruined the game, thats not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Speaking of gameplay tho the gameplay leaves something to be desired. There was one boss that died after like three minuets of hitting him, not losing its health, like three minuets of continuous hitting.

• In fairness, I will not defend Zelda's Adventure. That game generally was not fun to play, even back in 1994. Watching gameplay of it now isn't fun either.

I will defend Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon as way better than people give them credit for however. Most people simply look at the cutscenes and run for the hills.

By your description, you're talking about ZA.

In fairness, I will not defend Zelda's Adventure. That game generally was not fun to play, even back in 1994. Watching gameplay of it now isn't fun either.

I will defend Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon as way better than people give them credit for however. Most people simply look at the cutscenes and run for the hills.

By your description, you're talking about ZA.
      And I will admit I did end up playing ZA more (cause I hate myself) than the others. But the others do have flaws outside the hilarious cut scenes.

Did you play them when they first came out in 1993 and 1994, like I did?
      I was an infant at the time. So no.

The Missing Link wrote:

Seen gameplay too. Equally as terrible.
    • Watching gameplay isn't the same as playing a game, and playing a game isn't the same as experiencing it in the time frame during which it was originally released.

Take Metroid II for the Game Boy. I thought it was pretty good for its time. It produced a quality Metroid experience that, for its time, was good, and it told a rather remarkable story if you ask me. However nowadays it's something of a black sheep of the family due to its incredibly limiting screen, the lack of colours, and some sifnificant difficulty spikes. Not a great game perhaps by the game design standards of 2017, but back then it was a different story... at least until Super Metroid came along and established a strong precedent.

Do Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon have their problems? You bet they do. These aren't new to me, and if you've read any of my analyses of the games that I wrote for ZU's CD-i Month, you'd know that. So yes, of course they pale in comparison to Ocarina of Time... and even A Link to the Past before them. As Missandei would say, "it is known."

But -- and this is a point that I will repeat forever -- if one cannot look at a game and find one positive thing to say about it, one isn't looking hard enough. For 1993, the first two CD-i Zelda games were fairly ambitious, and (keywords) in part they succeeded. Fantastic games? No. But ambitious and somewhat admirable games? Yes.

I'm not going to say that you don't have right to your opinions. However I would strongly suggest that, until you have more hands-on experience with them and until you have properly deconstructed what worked, what didn't work, and why, maybe leave off the trite and tired "oh huh huh they suxxorz" memes. They aren't great, but there are perfectly intellectual reasons for that beyond what you have said. And if you go that far, you'll find some scant bit of joy and "Zeldaness" inside them.

Watching gameplay isn't the same as playing a game, and playing a game isn't the same as experiencing it in the time frame during which it was originally released.

Take Metroid II for the Game Boy. I thought it was pretty good for its time. It produced a quality Metroid experience that, for its time, was good, and it told a rather remarkable story if you ask me. However nowadays it's something of a black sheep of the family due to its incredibly limiting screen, the lack of colours, and some sifnificant difficulty spikes. Not a great game perhaps by the game design standards of 2017, but back then it was a different story... at least until Super Metroid came along and established a strong precedent.

Do Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon have their problems? You bet they do. These aren't new to me, and if you've read any of my analyses of the games that I wrote for ZU's CD-i Month, you'd know that. So yes, of course they pale in comparison to Ocarina of Time... and even A Link to the Past before them. As Missandei would say, "it is known."

But -- and this is a point that I will repeat forever -- if one cannot look at a game and find one positive thing to say about it, one isn't looking hard enough. For 1993, the first two CD-i Zelda games were fairly ambitious, and (keywords) in part they succeeded. Fantastic games? No. But ambitious and somewhat admirable games? Yes.

I'm not going to say that you don't have right to your opinions. However I would strongly suggest that, until you have more hands-on experience with them and until you have properly deconstructed what worked, what didn't work, and why, maybe leave off the trite and tired "oh huh huh they suxxorz" memes. They aren't great, but there are perfectly intellectual reasons for that beyond what you have said. And if you go that far, you'll find some scant bit of joy and "Zeldaness" inside them.
      does this apply to characters as well? Because I'm trying but... Umbrige.

Sig by TruEdge67, Glorious Newbie Overlord