Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Mafiarina of Time - Nobody Expects Sabbo
  • GM Notes (Sol)

So first off, huge shout out to @Sabbo and @Ruki who both played excellent games. Seriously, good work guys - @Dark Link Reigns your faction lost but you had a really good game as scum up until the RNG destroyed you and your entire faction.

I have a couple notes/points I'd like to make:

-Coming into this game I wanted to
    a) create a game that would punish role claiming (somewhat successful)

and

b) create a game where if town got complacent they would lose (successful)

So, let's start with a:

Role-claiming has kind of been a crutch for people to rely on in games-past, and I think that Cody's game will do a better job at showing the problems behind it than this one. However, I think we did get good discourse around the middle of the game when Zachie, Elias, and Miyamoto all claimed some form of vanilla townie or another-- none of them were lying. Zachie was a vanilla townie until day 3 and had no idea of his backup-status, Miyamoto was legitimately a vanilla townie, and Elias was a a vanilla townie in all but name.

We also had our role cop claim fairly early and uh, yeah, he was useless for most of the game except for night 2 when he got lucky with his Inquisition read. If he'd targeted anyone other than Sabbo/Ruki that night, he would have been useless; if Chloro hadn't lightning rod'd, he'd be useless.

The point here being you need to be able to defend yourself without knee-jerk roleclaiming. So, we had like.. four people this game who did it and town jumped on them immediately because there role claims weren't "believable" (lol). #1 I think that that is a hit and miss thing.. like I think at a certain point you just need to stop being so distrusting of everything people says, but I'll chalk this up to Ruki not being town and not giving a shit who dies outside of her faction. #2 if you can't defend yourself without roleclaiming it means you aren't generating useful content for the town, and you're an easy target for mafia. Just look at HH claiming tracker and getting lynched by the mafia last game.

b: Town has been really lucky in most games other than Catfia. They go in, play a bad game, and somehow stumble their way to a victory and it's been.. cringey to watch. This game set it up to where if town wasn't vigilant, they would lose. And they did. A couple points:

• Sabbo. Sabbo sabbo sabbo sabbo. Froyo knew he was a third party since *day 2* and didn't bring it up until.. what, day 4? A third party faction with a shot that converts people is not your friend people. You have two townies dying most nights, for one, and usually if you dont have a townie dying you end up with someone being converted a la Chloroform/Ruki. Like.. srsly. You should have pressured him. You should have *killed* him. There's no reason for a third party player with a shot to ever be allowed to live.
    • Ruki. She got shot by a vigilante that publicly stated he'd die if his target is of the same alignment as him. Regardless of Ruki's role properties, if she had been targeted by him as a townie on day 1.. he'd have died. It's as simple as that. Instead, you never questioned it, and let her *lead* the town of all things.
    • The vig kills: Xenovent played an excellent game with his kill choices, but town dropped the ball following it. On Days 2 and 3, when Xeno performed kills, you ended up with a 2-1 loss in favor of third party/mafia on day 2 and a *3*-1 loss on day 3. This could have been easily, easily mitigated by LOOKING AT THE VOTE COUNTS. If you go back, when you see kodachrome dead you see him on the wagon that ended up going through - a townie. Same with DLR. Analyze vote behavior when scum flips. Don't let them flip and say "okay, back to square one I guess".
    • Pavlova - you let him live for like three days despite a *serial killer* soft-claim that he eventually changed to inquisition as well as outing a random person as his teammate. You should have seen the red flags, and a few did, but instead of following through you lynched a townie on a day that you could have hit two scum.

There's more, but I don't want to criticize everything the town did. Some things were actually fairly good - @Froyo your targets, for the most part, were solid. @Xenovent played an excellent game, and I really enjoyed contributions from @Elias Thompson and @noworry (later in the game before she died lel).

That said: Town just needs to be more vigilant. Explore every possible angle. Stop letting people slide by, stop ignoring details that shouldn't be ignored, don't be afraid to voice your opinion when you sense something sketch, think twice about letting someone control the convo who may not be the best person to control it -- be active. This game was a good example of what happens when you aren't vigilant. Without an Inquisition in this game, and with Mafia falling apart like it was, this was an easy town win -

But because of the Inquisition, and because of all the missteps you took early on, you end up with only 4 townies on Day 5 and being tasked with playing a virtually perfect game to win.

In fact, with all the Mafia members outed, @Don Saltine had a fairly valid point about Sabbo. Literally, the only possible way for you guys to win without some crazy night action theatrics happening, or sheer luck, was lynching him. Lynch him and you only have one night kill to worry about, and you can take one Mafia hit while still being up 3-2 on them.

Mafia:

I don't really have too much to say about your play, it was mostly good except for two things:

@Pavlova you weren't excessively active in the night chat and took a huge risk by claiming third party on Day 2 without waiting to consult any of your scum buds. This led to the claim that DLR was your Inquisition bud (despite Chloroform knowing for sure that wasn't the case, as well as Sabbo), and it also led to the death of DLR being the thing that unraveled the entirety of your faction.

A healthy, productive, game-winning mafia is one that works together. You guys absolutely had a chance to pull through this game, but ultimately failed because of poor decisions made when it counted.

I'd also like to note that you guys kinda took the Inquisition at face value too, despite Ruki quite literally saying one of their goals was to kill Mafia. =P

As far as your setup goes:
    You were undersized due to the sheer size of this game, but I think the existence of the Inquisition made up for it. With a 5 person Mafia and 2 townies being killed each night (3 on Night 1 lol), that means town would have been at a severe disadvantage and would have needed to play a perfect game starting on day 2 to win.

That said, I think I made Harmonical's role a little underpowered, and Kodachrome's role was a bit too specific in terms of use -- if I could go back and restructure the setup, I would most likely alter those two roles to be stronger/more general in use.

I really enjoyed reading this game, though. I think it was fun up until the end. I hope you guys enjoyed it as well. =)

Going forward, I'm looking forward to Cody's game. I think as a community there is a lot of room to grow both in terms of playerbase as well as overall skill; I hope in the aftermath of this game, you keep one thing in mind as a lesson:

Always be diligent, because nobody expects the Sabbo Inquisition.
  • EDIT: So I don't know why the spoilers are so messed up, but I'm going to blame good ol' Burning Boards

3rd Party Roles

Inquisitor Sabbo:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are The Inquisitor

Spurned by the Resistance.. spurned by Ganondorf himself.. where will you go? You have no one.. no where to go.. just your masks. The masks that boy spread around the land of Hyrule have all ended up in your hands once more, without fail. The people, the people who took them, they - they didn't like them. Why not? They were you precious works of art.. your precious.. works.. precious works of art..

You have nothing left to live for. You have nothing left to do. All you can do is hope for more masks. All you can want is more masks, to keep you company. To numb the pain.

To help you forget.

As an Inquisitor, you are a third party player, the one who shall form "The Inquisition" if you play your cards right. Each night you will be afforded a Factional Kill, with which you can use to shoot nearly anyone in the game. This shot will either kill or convert the player you are targeting; however, you will only be informed if your kill fails or not, and you will not be notified if someone is converted nor will you be notified who they are. The players who are converted will know who you are, but they will *not* know the size of the faction, nor will they know who the other members of the faction are.

Your win condition is as follows:
    --You win when your faction controls the lynch while the Mafia is dead

Mafia Roles

Mafia Blackmailer HarmonicalHero:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Mafia Blackmailer

You're just an old lady who wanted to live her life in peace. But then, Lord Ganondorf came, and suddenly, that peace was gone. So, you rallied the troops, and decided to go to war in the best way you know how: By yelling at young people to do stuff.

It worked at first, but sooner or later, you ran out of bodies. Now it's just you and a handful of others, and you have to maneuver your way into freeing yourselves from evil's grasp..

Your also old and cranky, so you can use your shrill voice, anger issues, and ability to make anyone feel bad for you to force them to not target you at night. Each night you can pick *one person* and any actions they direct towards you will be treated as a roleblock. This action cannot fail.

As a member of the Mafia, you win when you have indisputable control over Hyrule.

Mafia Silencer Dark Link Reigns:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Mafia 2-Shot Silencer

That bastard Link left! After all that nonsense about being some "hero" chosen by the Great Deku Tree to "save the world" - he's gone! He left the forest and died! You knew it would happen. You tried to stop him, and he wouldn't listen. Well, now you can gloat.. but first you have a problem on your hands.

Ganondorf's reign now extends to the Kokiri Forest, and you know as well as everyone else that this means monsters now roam the lands you used to call home. The only solution is for you to sacrifice your youth and head outside the forest, to save everyone else in your land. As you've traveled, you've become threatening, strong; and with that power, you can do things to people that others might not find possible.

Twice, you can target one player and silence them. Silencing entails the following:
    • They cannot say they were silenced
    • They cannot role claim, nor can they character claim
    • They can mention nothing about their night actions
    • They cannot vote
    If they break any of the above rules, they will die in the night through a Strongarm kill.

As a member of the Mafia, you win when you have indisputable control of the Kingdom of Hyrule.

Mafia Jailkeeper Don Saltine:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Mafia Jailkeeper

In the old market climate, you held a monopoly on Magic Beans. You made incredible profits; the kind that poor beggars could only dream of. You had an empire at your disposal..

But now it is all gone. Lord Ganondorf has taken over the Magic Bean industry, and forced you out of it. You can't even feed your family. All you have left is your last bag of special Magic Beans. The kind that create makeshift jail cells. You decided that you could make use of these, to get rid of the problem that started this mess - to get rid of Ganondorf himself.

Each night you may choose one player and put them in Jail; killing actions will not affect them, and they will be roleblocked.

As a member of the Mafia, you win when you have indisputable control over the Kingdom of Hyrule

Mafia Reflexive Role Cop Kodachrome:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Mafia Reflexive Role Cop

One time, you knew everything. Everything that could ever be known-- any fact that existed? You knew it.

One thing you could never do, though, was tell the future. You would never have known that after Link left the village, left the forest, that everything would change. That you'd watch your brother die before your very eyes; that you'd watch as minions of evil descended on the forest; that you'd hear of gruesome stories from outside the forest, stories of things that you couldn't even bear to repeat. A part of you died.

And then you joined Mido in joining the Resistance. Maybe you couldn't bring your brother back, but you could at least get justice. After all, you had extensive knowledge of just about everything.. what could go wrong?

If you are targeted in the night, you will learn every role - but not the person in control of these roles - that visits you. This is a passive action.

As a member of the Mafia, you win when you have indisputable control over Hyrule.

Mafia Disguiser Pavlova:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Mafia Disguiser

You could not believe that Pierre, your dear friend, joined the Dark Lord in his endeavors to rule the world, to control the Triforce, to.. well, you didn't quite know what he wanted to do. But you didn't like it! Not one bit! What would happen if he got rid of music?! Nothing good, that's what would happen!

Fearing this outcome - the destruction of music - you joined the Resistance. You didn't have much you could do, but you were a Scarecrow. You could take on any form that they desired.

You are able to disguise yourself as someone else. While disguised as this person, any investigation action that targets you will give them the results of the person you're disguised as. This applies to alignment cops, role cops, vanilla cops, trackers, watchers, etc. You will not be told who you visit, but you will be told of your alignment for the night.

As a member of the Mafia, you win when you have indisputable control over the Kingdom of Hyrule.

Town Roles

Ruki, The Flying Stump that Shoots Lasers Out of Its Ass
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are The Flying Stump That Shoots Lasers Out of Its Ass

There’s not much to really say about you. You were a simple seller of Deku Shields before Ganondorf took over and you remained that after he took over, only difference was that you gained a healthy profit from selling your wares straight to the new king’s troops. Sure your shields are simple, but they can protect you if you somehow stick your head above ground at the wrong time.

If you are targeted by a kill it will either completely miss or be reflected to someone else, the chances of this happening is 50/50. If by some reason you do die, you will become a stump. As a stump you lose your ability to vote, but you may still actively post in the confines of the game.

As a member of the Town, you win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

Froyo the Town Alignment Cop:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town Alignment Cop

Each night you may [investigate]player[/investigate] and you will find out what their alignment is. You will always be told "Your result is x", unless you fail for some reason - in which case, you will receive "No result".

Lord Ganondorf is trusting you to vet everyone in his kingdom, so that the Resistance may be rooted out in time for the winter harvest. You hold a prominent position in his government, and have his ear for most matters.. use your influence wisely.

As a member of the Town, you win when all threats to the Town are eliminated.

noworry the Town Jailkeeper
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town Jailkeeper

In the wake of Ganondorf seizing power, you thought to yourself, "I can't let it end like this." You deigned to make yourself useful to your new Lord, and with intimate knowledge of nearly everyone in the kingdom's 'private affairs' you offered your service to him.

Everyone would comply with you when their secrets are at risk of being leaked, wouldn't they? Of course they would.

Each night you will have the ability to [jailkeeper]player[/jailkeep]. This will prevent this player from being killed as well as prevent them from taking any action the night you use it. It cannot be used on yourself.

As a member of the Town, you win when all threats to the Town are eliminated.

Linkle the Town Doctor:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town Doctor

As a Beggar, you were of no use to anyone. Poor and destitute, smelly, looked down upon by the rest of the land; you were worthless in every sense of the word. You expected nothing to change when Lord Ganondorf took power, but you were wrong - horribly wrong. He took notice of you. He researched you. And he found out your background in healing, in being able to prevent death.

Now he is putting it to use, putting you in charge of the Ministry of Medicine, a prominent position in the new government that he is forming. You take pride in this position, knowing that you - and you alone - can decide who gets to live and who gets to die when sickness occurs among a kingdom that has stepped on you for ages.

Each night you may save one person from death by using [doctor]player[/doctor].

Triforce the Town Bodyguard:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town Bodyguard

You are a punk; without a proper place to call your own, without anyone who *understands* you, you've rebelled against the fabric of society. Everything that was considered "good" didn't include you, and you were tired of it.

With the regime change, however, you feel that things are looking up. Finally there is a place for those like yourself, a place for people with no hope to turn to. You will put it all on the line for your new lord.

Each night you can protect one person ([protect]name[/protect]). With this protection, you ensure their survival.. but if they are targeted, you will die in their stead.

As a member of the town, you win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

EliasThompson the Hidden Ascetic:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are a Vanilla Townie

No one ever comes to visit you inside the windmill, but that doesn’t really matter since you have your music to keep you company. You have no clue as to the happenings of the outside world, but you don’t care, you have your song to pass the time. You think that maybe you should go outside one of these days, but you shrug off that idea and continue to play.

Your racket keeps anyone away who doesn’t wish to silence you for good.

Xenovent the Town Day Vig:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town 2-Shot Day Vig

You used to be a criminal, illegally selling explosives from your backstreet store under the cover of the night, but things have changed since Ganondorf took over. No longer are your weapons deemed illegal, in fact, Ganondorf has given you free-range to use your explosives on anyone who may be an annoyance. The new king has even given you access to the former Bombchu Bowling attraction so you may test your newest creations!

The materials to create your explosives are both expensive and rare, so you only have a small supply of working Bombchu left. If you wish to eradicate a player, use the tags [Let’sGoBowling]player[/Let’sGoBowling] in the game thread.

If you target someone in your faction, you die in their stead.

Bolero of Fire the Town Tracker:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town Tracker

You were smarter than the other dogs that used to run around Castle Town, especially that idiot Richard. Once Ganondorf took power, you realized immediately that he would destroy those who did not follow him, so follow him you did. As your new master, he has provided you with food as long as you remain obedient. He has ordered you to keep an eye on suspicious individuals within his domain and you shall heed his demands.

With your keen sense of smell, you can track anyone you desire. Each night you may track one player using [track]player[/track]. You will either be told “Your target visited X” or “No Result”

Pennington the Hidden Miller:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are a Townie

Ganondorf has taken over and that's okay, you guess. He's mostly stayed away from Death Mountain, and you're content to live your life under him so long as you retain your peaceful nature.

That does not stop rumors from spreading throughout the capital, however, as those in power think you could be sympathetic to the resistance..

As a member of the town, you win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Kaylin the Mason Recruiter:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town 2-Shot Mason Recruiter

Your employees could get nothing done, they were always running around, seemingly trying to avoid as much work as possible. You were the only one who could see the objective that needed to be completed, but you couldn’t possibly do such things without competent help. When Ganondorf took over, he took note of your drive and leadership skills. He decided that you would lead the construction of something new, the creation of a group that would loyally serve the new king of Hyrule and help him stamp out the rebellion.

At night, you can target one player using [Let’sGetToWork]player[/Let’sGetToWork] to bring them into the masonry. As a mason, you may talk with your fellow masons at night via the mason chat.

Astroninja/Zachie the Hidden Backup:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are a Vanilla Townie

When Ganondorf took over, he demanded loyalty of his subjects or else they would face the consequences. In your mind, there was no reason to fight against the new king, in your mind it just seemed like way too much effort and way too risky. You’ve become quite attached to your head so to speak and doing anything that might separate you from it sounds idiotic. So you have decided to submit to this new rule and do what it takes to get by.

Mr.Miyamoto the Vanilla Townie:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are a Vanilla Townie

When Ganondorf took over, he demanded loyalty of his subjects or else they would face the consequences. In your mind, there was no reason to fight against the new king, in your mind it just seemed like way too much effort and way too risky. You’ve become quite attached to your head so to speak and doing anything that might separate you from it sounds idiotic. So you have decided to submit to this new rule and do what it takes to get by.

Chloroform the Lightning Rod:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town 1-Shot Lightning Rod

You never really liked adults, they always seemed too high and mighty for your tastes. Ganondorf was different compared to the rest of the grown-ups. He thought that anyone, even a “child” like you could be useful in supporting his empire. He treated both kids and adults the same way, crushing those who defied him and sparing those who supported him. The fact that you were placed on the same level as those deemed “more mature” than you pleased you immensely. You decided that you would help this grown-up using the two things you were best at, playing music and causing mischief.

Your cheerful melody and haunting laughter makes those that hear it drawn to you. Using [PlayATune]self[/PlayATune], you make all actions that night target you.

PrinnyOfTime/Lady Sunshine the Mason:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are a Vanilla Townie/Mason

Also, due to Day 0 shenanigans, you are a Mason! You can speak with other Masons at night using the Mason Chat.

Mordred the Schizophrenic Oracle:
    Display Spoiler

[Maf]_God wrote:

You are the Town Schizophrenic Oracle

How long have you stared up at the sky? You’ve lost track of the months, no… years that have gone by with you doing naught but watching the clouds around Death Mountain. However, the clouds have been doing strange things as of late. They seem to be trying to tell you things, things that normal people would never seem to know. Somehow Ganondorf has found out about your newfound ability and he has ordered you to use it in the interest of his empire. You have no real reason to disobey his demands, you very much like to watch the clouds and anything that allows you to keep doing that sounds good to you.

You may look up into the sky and ask any question (with GM discretion), doing this will give you two responses. Examples of questions you may not ask are: A) Anything acting like an alignment check, B) A list of any kind

Use the tags [ShoutAtTheSky]question[/ShoutAtTheSky] to ask your questions.

The post was edited 6 times, last by Orion ().