Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Arry Potta
    • I'm sure there used to be a thread like this in existence, but I've talked to a couple of people and they seemed interested in posting in here, soI decided to revamp it.

So, welcome to the Harry Potter discussion thread.

This is the place to discuss books, movies, prequels, sequels, spin-offs, castings and future titles. Also please! Share pictures, paraphernalia, trip plans, etc.

Starting off: I FINALLY watched Fantastic Beasts last week! I was pleasantly surprised with it. I figured as a spin-off it would bore me since it wasn't related to the Harry Potter world I was familiar with. But, I thought Eddie Redmayne was an interesting casting choice, and I thought his character was super weird, eccentric, and definitely Hufflepuff material. I thought the storyline was fairly interesting, and for the most part, the movie felt well-thought out and cohesive. I've heard they're planning on making four more? So I'm excited for the series to continue and to see where they take it. I know there will be Dumbledore/Grindelwald confrontation at some point, which I'm very excited for.
      But I do agree casting Johnny Depp was a weird choice, and not just for the implications with what happened in his personal life. I doesn't look the way I pictured Grindlewald, and in the HP series they did allude to how he would look, and they didn't really follow that description either. I'd say that was the biggest disappointment.

"Defense against the dark farts, am I right?" -Pennington
      | This spot reserved for Dark Link Reigns |

• Harry Potter! I've been a fan of the series for a long time, feels like practically my whole life really.

My favorite has always been Goblet of Fire, for both the books and the movies. Always just felt like the most interesting out of all of them and with the most action, though I did really like Prisoner of Azkaban because Sirius is my favorite character.
      Display Spoiler
      That's also why I don't like The Order of the Phoenix very much.

Unfortunately I wasn't a huge fan of books 5-7 overall, for some reason after the story got more "serious" it lost some charm for me, and it felt like there was less of the almost childlike wonder I liked about the first four. I wasn't huge on the movie adaptions of the later books either, I fell asleep during most of them.

Overall, I highly enjoy the series though! Thank you for making this thread!
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /
    • HARRY POTTER ROCKS!! :science: :pope: :heart: :cheers:

...Although, I have a slight confession to make...

Part of a conversation I had with my friend who goes by the username "outset sky" wrote:

(BTW, when I 1'st encountered it, I wasn't very enthusiastic about Harry Potter, which is quite ironic, seeing as I have *ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF THE PARANORMAL/READING BOOKS/OCCULT/MYTHOLOGY/MAGIC(K)/DIVINATION*, probably in previous lifetimes as well, definitely in future incarnations as well, but I guess I was pre-occupied with other things, although that very quickly changed, & I soon afterwards got into it)!!

Also, I too have seen Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them in theatres, with a family member, awhile back!!
      [

Mod Edit: No YouTube videos allowed in sigs, thank you!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tuf Pic ().

• ***BIG POTTERMORE POST INCOMING***

So, in the original Pottermore Sorting Hat test, there were seven questions with the chance of getting a hatstall.

In the current *new* test, there are eight questions (pet question now included) making hatstalls impossible to get.

Now to begin! :v:

--Pottermore Sorting Hat Story

When the original Pottermore was first opened to the public, I wanted to sort as many people in my family as possible.

I took the test first, getting Hufflepuff. Next my mom sorted into Gryffindor, and my dad and sister sorted into Slytherin.

I tried to accept being a Hufflepuff at first, until I noticed something wrong.

If I knew what House my mom was in before taking the test, I would've done everything I could to be in her house. I may be a loyal Hufflepuff, but I'd be loyal to my mom's house more than Hufflepuff. (In this case, Gryffindor.) :mastahsword:

My mom also thinks she may have been a Hufflepuff as a kid that just evolved into Gryffindor over time, and that I'm the same way.

((PLUS I think the Sorting Hat, although fictional and everything, would've let me go into Gryffindor, but that's just after reading Cursed Child and what happened there. Also after the test update, explained later.))

I honestly wasn't super confident with my answers when I first took the test. However, when I learned there was a pool of questions that are randomly selected, and learned one question had piano as an answer, I knew I could answer that way more confidently than anything else. (I compose piano music after all, and love pianos!)

So the journey began, to get the seven questions I was most confident in answering.

It's interesting though. You could answer every question the same way every time, yet depending on what combination of questions you got, you'd get a different house.

I became a confuzzled Hatstall. Sometimes it was between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, and a good amount of times Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw. (Not Slytherin ever, so that was funny.)

To make a long story short, it took forever, but I did it. I got the combination of questions I was most confident with.

Answers:
      #1: The Good
      #2: Piano
      #3: Being Ignored
      #4: Ghosts
      #5: Caution
      #6: Stars
      #7: Right

Result:
      Hufflepuff

...I got my first result in the end. After all that work. :lol:

So end of story, right?

Not quite...

The test updated. They added in the pet question to get rid of Hatstalls. (Before it was just a school supply list question that determined your profile picture.)

Thing is, I always go with Tabby, since that's what my cat Jayli is. But ever since the update, even though I haven't changed any of my other answers, I now get Gryffindor every time.

I haven't gotten the same combination of questions as above yet, adding in Tabby. So maybe I'm still Hufflepuff. But Tabby cats are pretty Gryffindor, I suppose, book series-wise.

If I ever get that combination of questions again in the new test adding Tabby Cat, I'll let you know if I'm really Hufflepuff or Gryffindor.

--Ilvermorny Story

Ilvermorny is basically J.K. Rowling's American wizarding school she wrote up to promote Fantastic Beasts.

I live in America! So me, my mom, my dad, and my sister all took the test.

Hilariously, we all got Horned Serpent, house of the mind/scholars. :scholar:

Apparently, the fictional founder of the house of Horned Serpent was a descendent of Salazar Slytherin, and had lots of Slytherins in her family. But she wanted to be Ravenclaw, and wasn't so pure-blood obsessed as her ancestors. (She even married a muggle and battled her pure-blood crazy aunt!)

Here's the funny thing...

Slytherin personality technically runs in my family.

Up until the test updated, I learned that in my family there were 14 Slytherins, 6 Gryffindors, 5 Ravenclaws, and 3 Hufflepuffs.

Pretty weird/cool, right?

--Wand Story

First time I took the test, I got Apple with Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy. I fell in love. Apples became my favorite fruit. :artist:

Everything was good until the state ID people considered my eyes to be hazel. So then I was like, "Wait. Then what's my wand?" (Eye color is a legit question on the quiz, and I considered my eyes to be dark green.)

So, selecting hazel instead of green, I get Voldemort'a wand of Yew. (Everything else stayed the same.)

I was devastated. :nonono:

But you know, eyes change color depending on what you wear due to light. Especially eye color. So I'm thinking my wand is still Apple and my eyes are still just dark green or green-hazel.

--Patronus Test

I've only had me and my mom take this test. I got Red Squirrel, and she got Tabby Cat. (She also got Harry Potter's wand on the wand quiz!)

I don't consider this test to be very great though. There are so many other animals in the world that exist that's it's impossible to program them all into one quiz.

It got pretty close though. I think my Patronus would actually be a Porcupine, as it's not included on the test, and I relate to the totem description. Or Tabby Cat like my mom's Patronus/my cat. (With confident answers, I get Tabby Cat or Red Squirrel, so yeah.) :thumbup:

--Conclusion

WhAt Am I? 8|

Gryffindor? Hufflepuff? Hufflepuff evolved into Gryffindor?

(I bought both ties.)

((And WOW am I good at overthinking silly online quizzes.)) :lol:

The post was edited 2 times, last by HarmonicalHero: Fixed typos. XD ().

• As promised, I am here to discuss Harry Potter.

I would like to address something:

Shinji Kagawa wrote:

Unfortunately I wasn't a huge fan of books 5-7 overall, for some reason after the story got more "serious" it lost some charm for me, and it felt like there was less of the almost childlike wonder I liked about the first four. I wasn't huge on the movie adaptions of the later books either, I fell asleep during most of them.
      I mean, that's kinda how it was supposed to be, right? From book 5, it got more serious. You weren't supposed to be thinking in the terms of childlike wonder any more. It was Harry and the crew growing up, dealing with an unthinkable evil, albeit still being children themselves.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • Lady Sunshine wrote:

Absolutely @HarmonicalHero

I've been sorted into Ravenclaw anytime I've taken the tests. I don't think I've taken the wand test, however.
      I also did do the Patronus test but I don't remember what I got :B

Have you?
      You should do the wand/Ilvermorny tests! They're pretty cool!

The Patronus test is OK, but it's only good as a guideline. (You can't fit every animal in existence into one quiz, at least yet.) :lol:
    • Dark Link Reigns wrote:

As promised, I am here to discuss Harry Potter.

I would like to address something:

Shinji Kagawa wrote:

I mean, that's kinda how it was supposed to be, right? From book 5, it got more serious. You weren't supposed to be thinking in the terms of childlike wonder any more. It was Harry and the crew growing up, dealing with an unthinkable evil, albeit still being children themselves.
      I know. I'm just saying that personally that was one thing I really liked about the first four, and the absence of that and the seriousness of the last three just wasn't for me. Even as I grew older I didn't like it nearly as much.
      "Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Park Jimin

\ Love Yourself /
    • It's pretty surreal what a cultural touchstone Harry Potter is, really the first one I lived through of the magnitude it is at.

I have a ton of affection for the series. I just need to raise my eyes a bit from my screen and I can see all seven books in hardcover serving as the centrepiece for the television console. Lift my head further and there's a time-turner dangling from the ceiling fan. When I was a teenager I loaned my copy of Prisoner of Azkaban to my younger cousin, not realizing until maybe a year later I was never getting it back. For years I bemoaned the missing spot in my collection, only wanting a copy of the same hardcover edition to replace it. Last year my partner found a copy in a used bookstore and gave it to me as a gift (she also found a hardcover copy of Sorcerer's Stone to replace the softcover one that I've had since I was 12).

I've read the books countless times. I just finished listening to them on audiobook for the first time earlier this year, switching back and forth between the Jim Dale and Stephen Fry versions, so I could go back and relisten with them reading the alternate books later.

I guess my love for the series kind of falters with the movies. I like many of them well enough, could take or leave some of the earlier installments and I wasted too keen on the two-parter finale. I don't think Fantastic Beasts is a very good movie at all.

I never got deep into Pottermore. I wish all the extra info and goodies Rowling wrote for it would get published in some sort of encyclopedia, but oh well. I got sorted into Slytherin and my patronus is a Buzzard.

The Cursed Child is very bad.

Order of the Phoenix is my favourite book.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "posting to subscribe."
    • I was going to come in saying that the name of this thread sounded a lot like "Harry Potter"...

Lel.

Anyways, I'm not really a huge fan; The Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone (I think that's what's called in English? The first movie, I've only seen it in Spanish lol), The Chamber of Secrets and The Prisoner of Azkaban were like, something I saw a lot when I was younger, and then drifted away as time went on. I should probs change that at some point lol.
    • I love the Harry Potter series as well :)

I read the first books during elementary school and didn't want to wait until a Norwegian translation of the Goblet of Fire, so that started my career of reading everything in English :p
      As for a favourite book, I've always liked the Prisoner of Azkaban. I always liked Sirius and Lupin, though I detest the movie version of the scabby thing they call a werewolf.

Speaking of Sirius, it's one of my two go-to cosplays, since bearded, long-haired Gary Oldman usually works fairly well for me.

I've taken the Pottermore tests as well. I ended straight into Gryffindor, as did my wife :p As for a wand, I got a long and rigid wand of cypress, I think. I remember the description saying something about nobility. I think it was unicorn hair as well.
      For the patronus, I got a Highland terrier, if I remember correctly.

I also took the American magic school test when that came, and ended up in the red house symbolizing the heart or something of the sort. I searched and found the name: Pukwudgie.
    • Finally able to reply here.

@HarmonicalHero - Whew block of text but I love it. It's like Harnonical Notes from Mafia :p
      Quite an interesting read. I didn't realize they had changed all the tests, so I went back and re-took them all :B

I was sorted into Ravenclaw, which is great, because I've always been sorted into this house and I have a strong affection towards it. I don't feel like I belong in any other house.

I took the Patronus test and got a robin, and then a dog. I'm not super pleased with the results, because I feel my personality doesn't really mesh with the dog (and I'm not obsessed with dogs like most people).

I finally found the Ilvermony test, and I was sorted into the Thunderbird house, which I'm equating to Gryffindor? Mainly because of a bit of the description and the reddish/gold color scheme. I'm okay with this, I love the coat of arms for it and the description of the Thunderbird.

I took the wand test. I got a 10" rowan wood want with Unicorn hair, and rigid flexibility. I'm mostly pleased. I would've wanted either unicorn hair or the phoenix feather, and maybe a longer wand (though they did ask my height, and I'm a shortie so maybe that's the reason).

@Moriquendi - I literally gasped out loud at that picture. You looked SO CONVINCING. I love love it.

@Galedeep Man, I remember owning the first three book on audio cassette tape. I fell asleep to Jim Dale's voice a lot when I was younger. That sounds weird. Moving on; I think most of us agree that the books vastly out-do the movies. I basically take them at face value - they're entertaining for what they are, if you don't compare them to the books, of course.

I would love to hear more about why you think Fantastic Beasts is a bad movie, though. I didn't think it was the best movie I've seen by any means, and I like the HP series better, but I was entertained and I thought it had a fairly interesting additions to the magical world.

Also I agree: I was severely disappointed by the Cursed Child. Don't know what else to say about that.

• Lady Sunshine wrote:

I would love to hear more about why you think Fantastic Beasts is a bad movie, though. I didn't think it was the best movie I've seen by any means, and I like the HP series better, but I was entertained and I thought it had a fairly interesting additions to the magical world.
      It's been awhile since I saw it, but I'll try to remember most of my criticisms.

The short answer would be that I just didn't like anything about it, aside from Dan Fogler's character and most of his role as the outsider in the Wizarding World.

I found the story to be a weird (off-)balance of clearly trying to set up a new franchise within the Harry Potter world, while simultaneously trying to act like a stand-alone movie. The resulting jumble of plots and story beats made it pretty difficult for me to get invested in what was happening in the story. The most interesting stuff was when the supposed premise of the movie (at least based on its title) - there's Fantastic Beasts - was actually realized (basically when we get to go into the suitcase) but it's not what the movie ended up being about.

I didn't like any of the characters (aside from Dan Fogler's) and thought Eddie Redmayne was especially flat character-wise. I don't think Redmayne brings much to the table as an actor at the best of times, but Scamander as a character was also the problem - I can't really think of any defining characteristic about him aside from "like animals."

And it was just so visually dull. Everything was drab and grey. How it won Best Costume Design at the Oscars is something I will never understand. It totally dropped the ball on the chance to show a different-looking and feeling area of this world in terms of era and location - instead we just get a few weird nomenclature things like no-mag (UGH) and a movie that basically looked like Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2.
    • @Galedeep

Lol, it won best costume design? I definitely disagree with that.
      I can see what you're saying, for the most part.

Dan Fogler's character was definitely my favorite part about that movie. I thought he was fantastic.
      And I really liked Alison Sudol as well. She was cute as hell.
      I've actually never seen Eddie Redmayne in anything else. I thought his romantic story with Katherine Waterston was forced.

And I agree about the set - I definitely wanted more than what they gave. I did love inside the suitcase though.
      And I thought a lot of their magical creature representations were really well done - the Niffler was exactly what I pictured.

and yeah - everytime they said "no-mag" I cringed. Why did this have to happen.

• What? Why? How? did this thread started without meeeee!
      Ok, I've only read half of this thread, forgive me but I got so excited when I saw a 'Arry Potta' thread I started typing like a mad man!

In Pottermore, I was sorted as Slytherin at first. But it was also the house I was kinda aiming for so I took the test again based on my honest answers and choices and got sorted to Slytherin again! haha I love it! I remember reading my first HP book in grade school (Chamber of Secrets) - and I've always believed or associated myself as part of Slytherin, I remember even buying a snake ring with green eyes in high school XD

Fav Slytherin characters: Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson ~i ship them~ , Lucius Malfoy, Narcissa Malfoy (pretty much all the malfoys!), Bellatrix Lestrange, Tom Riddle (oh yes)

Before Pottermore, there's this Harry Potter community online called hexrpg.com & I was also an active member there but I left the community cause idk I went to college or smth lol. So they had this random sorting hat thingie (where it's purely random, you don't even have to take a test or anything) and guess where I was sorted? Slytherin! yay so Idk if there are any other HP sites out there that'll sort me to any other house as I always end up with the cunning snake as result.

Okay, In Ilvermorny I got sorted to Pukwudgie House. I wanted to be Horned Serpent so bad but I guess Pukwudgie ain't that bad. My Patronus was an Abraxan Winged Horse. I forgot my wand but I think I got Elm, I had to check again what my core was.

Fav book was The Half Blood Prince, for the main reason that It had a lot of Tom Riddle flashbacks, those were my favorite parts to read. I've read this book about 5 to 6 times I think, It never get old to me at all. Least fav book was Order of the Phoenix.

And more harry potter post to come...will start reading the rest of thread now, I've just finished Harmonical's long pottermore post! lol XD

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chloroform ().