Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Hyrule Temple is OoT's ToT (not the plateau one)
    • As the title says.

      Just exploring the game, found a completely destroyed building inside the Hyrule city itself. It has its own label, "Hyrule Temple" or "Temple of Hyrule" (i'm playing in spanish, so don't know the english words used by the game here).

      I don't know if people still think that castle town was in the plateau, but makes much more sense to be just in the city. The temple of time of the plateau is just a bigger one that could have been built much later after the events of OoT to, in a way, honor the hero of time (though only remember by zelda and the sages if i'm not mistaken) and act as a home for the sages, building an abby beside the new temple.

      The Plateau being a vatican-type holy place to be closer to Hylia.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Gotxiko ().

    • Mango The Magician wrote:

      Are you talking about the one located right below and to the right of Hyrule Castle? It's called "Hyrule Cathedral" in the English version, and it easily could be the original Temple of Time, as it's location is perfect. However, with BOTW it's hard to know if anything is anything, as there's no timeline placement, and it's stupidly far into the future.
      In the latinamerican version its called Catedral de Hyrule. Im sure it is confirmed that the ToT from the great plateu is the ToT from OOT.
    • Smallville Boy wrote:

      Mango The Magician wrote:

      Are you talking about the one located right below and to the right of Hyrule Castle? It's called "Hyrule Cathedral" in the English version, and it easily could be the original Temple of Time, as it's location is perfect. However, with BOTW it's hard to know if anything is anything, as there's no timeline placement, and it's stupidly far into the future.
      In the latinamerican version its called Catedral de Hyrule. Im sure it is confirmed that the ToT from the great plateu is the ToT from OOT.
      Is it confirmed? I remember it being alluded to, but I don't remember any confirmation.
    • It's hard to be sure. BotW's Hyrule Castle does match well with OoT relative to nearly every landmark that appeared in OoT, so it makes sense that it would be there, but it still seems strange to have a replica of the Temple of Time, nearby ruins that look like OoT's Hyrule Castle, in a place said to be the birthplace of Hyrule, and have all of that come to nothing.
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer ().

    • Evran_Speer wrote:

      It's hard to be sure. BotW's Hyrule Castle does match well with OoT relative to nearly every landmark that appeared in OoT, so it makes sense that it would be there, but it still seems strange to have a replica of the Temple of Time, nearby ruins that look like OoT's Hyrule Castle, in a place said to be the birthplace of Hyrule, and have all of that come to nothing.
      The great plateau temple and abby could easily be a “new place to honor hylia”, as a proper holy-town.
    • Gotxiko wrote:

      Evran_Speer wrote:

      It's hard to be sure. BotW's Hyrule Castle does match well with OoT relative to nearly every landmark that appeared in OoT, so it makes sense that it would be there, but it still seems strange to have a replica of the Temple of Time, nearby ruins that look like OoT's Hyrule Castle, in a place said to be the birthplace of Hyrule, and have all of that come to nothing.
      The great plateau temple and abby could easily be a “new place to honor hylia”, as a proper holy-town.
      It could be, it's just not very satisfying. We know that
      • HH says that it is thought that the Temple of Time was build over the Sealed Temple.
      • HH says that Hyrule Castle was built nearby, in a section titled "The Establishment of Hyrule Kingdom."
      • In BotW, the Old Man says that the Great Plateau is thought to be the birthplace of Hyrule.
      • The Temple of Time (not necessarily the same one) and ruins that look like Hyrule Castle appear on the Great Plateau.
      • In terms of geography, it fits well with Faron Woods and Lake Floria, as well as the Spring of Courage, if that's the same as the Skyview Spring.
      There's a lot of "it is said" and "it is thought" in there, but it's too many facts and stories aligning to be dismissed very quickly.

      And just for the sake of thoroughness, BotW's Hyrule Castle seems to be aligned with
      • Death Mountain
      • Zora's Domain
      • Lon Lon Ranch
      • Lake Hylia
      • Gerudo Valley/Desert
      • To go a little more obscure, there are giant tree trunks to the east, where TP's Forest Temple would have stood.
      The only things that don't match very well are Kakariko, which isn't the most reliable landmark in general, and the Lost Woods, whose position is consistent with ALttP/ALBW, making OoT the odd one out.

      It's sort of a stalemate. It would take a lot to convince me that either one of these is wrong, even though they can't both be right. (At least, not without moving the Great Plateau back and forth, and that's too drastic a claim with virtually no evidence behind it.)
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Gotxiko wrote:

      The red spot is the temple, for the ones that wanted a pic :)

      Any chance of a in-game screenshot? I don't have a copy of BotW atm.

      @MangotheMagician It's hard to imagine it's the same building though, presuming there's 10, 000 years at the very least between the two games. The same could be said for Lon Lon too I suppose.
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

      A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

      Click here for the audiobook edition.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Thal1989 ().

    • Ok, after some thought and reading stuff, I can see that my theory is wrong, but still, OoT map should be on BotW's castle and town, so I made some "mock-up" with one theory in mind (feel free to tell me if it makes no sense).

      The theory is that some time before TP, "skyloft" was raised again and moved to the south, for some reason. After the plateau was created and put in the south of Hyrule close to Lake Hylia, a new castle and city were built (the one we see now and in TP).

      Placing the plateau in the south, the lake on top of it flooded some rivers along with the Sage Temple ruins we see in BotW.

      I added sone "rivers" that could make sense and trying to fit everything. Map quality is not the best though.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Gotxiko ().

    • That's pretty close to what I have in mind. I might disagree on the "before TP" part, but that's relatively unimportant here.

      I still think the problem is a lack of evidence, though. This idea resolves a mostly geographic contradiction, and Hyrule's geography is notoriously variable anyway, a gray area made ever grayer by the apparent 10,000-year gap between this and the other games. It's intriguing, but I don't think it will convince very many people.

      Although I should add that at the beginning of the game, the Great Plateau is surrounded by a sort of fog or mist that could be a lesser version of the cloud barrier from SS.

      edit: Here's a picture of the small cloud.

      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer ().

    • Evran_Speer wrote:

      That's pretty close to what I have in mind. I might disagree on the "before TP" part, but that's relatively unimportant here.

      I still think the problem is a lack of evidence, though. This idea resolves a mostly geographic contradiction, and Hyrule's geography is notoriously variable anyway, a gray area made ever grayer by the apparent 10,000-year gap between this and the other games. It's intriguing, but I don't think it will convince very many people.

      Although I should add that at the beginning of the game, the Great Plateau is surrounded by a sort of fog or mist that could be a lesser version of the cloud barrier from SS.

      edit: Here's a picture of the small cloud.


      Yup, I can easily picture them building the new "wall" with a new big entrance to the old city once they changed its place.

      I said it was moved before TP, because in TP the temple of time is where the plateau is today, and far away from the castle itself. And TP's Hyrule citadel is the one we can see now in BotW. Thought TP's map is kinda messed up if we compare it with other games.

      What could have happened to force them into maybe "asking Hylia to lift the plateau and place it somewhere safer"? Who knows.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Gotxiko ().

    • Eh, I've subscribed to the theory that Hyrule moved generally northward between OoT and TP. I'm reconsidering that now, in light of BotW, but here's a bit of evidence:
      • TP's Hyrule Castle is just north of Death Mountain, whereas BotW's is notably to the south.
      • TP's Lake Hylia is far too far north to be OoT's or BotW's Lake Hylia (which I think are the same thing). You pretty much walk out of Hyrule Castle and you're already overlooking the lake.
      • There are giant tree stumps in BotW to the east of Hyrule Castle (in Crenal Hills), which corresponds to TP's Forest Temple relative to the Temple of Time.
      • I'm not sure there's enough land south of the Great Plateau for Ordon to fit.
      • I also just noticed while looking at the map that since the Great Plateau is turned somewhat, BotW's Temple of Time is almost directly north, whereas TP's faces almost directly south. (Although OoT's seems to face largely west, so I'm not sure how accurate it is in general.
      I have no idea how Gerudo Desert and Highlands, Hebra, and Snowpeak are supposed to fit in, though.
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.