Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    General Card Games Thread
    • Lol. Has FoW ever banned a card for tournament logistics before?
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens
    • Heh.

The only Magic cards banned purely for logistics are Shahrazad and Sensei's Diving Top*. Notably, Karn - the only magic card with a similar "restart the game" ability - is legal and not considered particularly troublesome. But honestly there aren't a lot of similarities with the witch here when you dig into it.

*A top activation takes ~20 seconds to resolve and in deck that are set up to use it you see 20-30 activations in a 3 game match. In a mirror, that's 40% of the total clock time spent topping.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foo ().

• Well we do have a Scheherazade who I hope will be banned. Or ban 2-3 of the cards which make her stupidly good. She begins the game with a 5-card extra deck which can include various spells in one-ofs, each playable once per game:

G * Scry 2, draw 1. (not actual text, but it's the same effect)
      G * Cancel target fire chant, or remove all counters from your opponent's J/ruler.
      G * Remove target attacking resonator from battle (effectively canceling the battle phase as a whole), and draw a card.
      G * Banish a "Doll" resonator (as an additional cost), then destroy target resonator.
      G * Your opponent's weather is clear and cannot change this turn.
      B1 * Destroy all opposing resonators with total cost 1 or less.
      B2 * Destroy target Light resonator, and your opponent banishes a gem (a counter-like object which is used in only one archetype.)
      B * Remove all cards in your opponent's graveyard from the game; this card can't be chased to.
      GB * Choose one:
      ** Your opponent banishes a resonator
      ** Make two of the above playable another time (can include this card)
      ** Put a resonator from grave to hand
      ** Cancel target spell unless your opponent pays (1)
    • Woke up this morning to a shiny new Area beta key ^^

(Fucking finally...)
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Nice.

An addendum to my last couple of posts here (or rather, my last and third last): First is that another tool for the toolbox ruler has been revealed. Second is that I forgot to mention how the three-sided card is obtained. Unlike other cards - including the previous three-sided card - the Time Spinning Witch is not found in booster packs of any set, but rather is essentially a "reward" for people who buy three boxes. (note: the cost of a FoW box in USD is somewhere near $80 I think, for 360 cards? More expensive elsewhere though.)

This "reward" is being panned by pretty much the entire community, in addition to the chance of getting a ruler in a box being lowered from 1 per box to 70% chance of a box having one.
    • Standard legal cards that aren't available in boosters are always a mistake, and they never stop happening :/

---

I've got my bearings now with Arena; enjoying myself, but it's definitely a small game with even fewer economic management decision than Gwent.

I logged on today and was shown that I could a total of 1200 gold by (a) casting 30 blue or white spells and (b) winning three games. I hadn't played any Azorius yet so I quickly threw together something on the control side of midrange, proceeded to get paired against three sub-optimal aggro decks that couldn't kill me fast enough and went three for three, finishing the day in a little over an hour.

It doesn't make sense to keep playing games "for fun", because there's no casual mode. Any games I play and win are going to up my rank and then I'll end up over-levelled relative to the size of my collection. If I wanted to play for more rewards I could enter a tournament queue, but then there's no rank control and I'd just get trounced buy the pay-to-play folks or freemium players with months more grinding time than I've had. Since I have to pay gold to enter the tournaments that's a losing proposition.

Nice incentive system you've got here WotC :/
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Hi everyone sorry I've been gone no time to chat long time no see I will catch up on the last few pages soon, etc.

D=

Foo! I am VERY confused. Everything I thought I understood about magic has been UPENDED. Spell Queller.

I'm looking up a bunch of strategies for Spirits (jumping into EDH and want to start with them), and I'm rehearsing how players like to use this card. Turns out they use it on more than just creatures and enchantments.

How can you exile a sorcery? It doesn't counter a spell, just exile it. I guess I just assumed only permanents can be exiled. So what's up? How do these mechanics work?

• Well, any card can be exiled. If we're talking sorceries, Doomfall can get them in your hand, Tormod's crypt can get them in the graveyard, and Mindbreak Trap can get them when they're on the stack.

Some counterspells, like dissipate, exile the spells they counter. Some spells, like Time Spiral, actually exile themselves upon resolution.

The reason you might *want* to exile an opponent's spell, rather than just have it go to the graveyard, is that there's always a chance that a card in a graveyard can be recurred. Snapcaster mage is one of the most played creatures in magic, and it's important to have play against it.

---

Spell queller is a bit of a different case, in that you're exiling a card in order to delay it being played, not to get rid of it entirely. But it works pretty much exactly like it says on the card: the opponent casts some spell, you respond by casting spell queller with that spell still on the stack (you can do this because 'queller has flash), your spell resolves first triggering the enter-the-battlefield ability, you target your opponent's spell still on the stack with the ability and that spell is exiled.

If, later, spell queller is removed from the battlefield then the card's final triggered ability will trigger and your opponent will be able to recast the exiled spell. They don't have to worry about timing restrictions here: even if it's a sorcery spell and they kill the queller on your turn they can cast it.

Shenanigans
      One of the more complicated things you can do with spell queller (and other similar cards like fiend hunter) works like this:

1) Opponent casts a spell, say lightning bolt.
      2) You cast Spell queller, it goes on the stack on top of lightning bolt, then resolves.
      3) You put spell qualler's ETB ability on the stack targeting the bolt.
      4) Before the bolt resolves you cast unsummon targeting your queller. Stack is now unsummon on top of the exile ability on top of bolt.
      5) Unsummon resolves, returning the queller to your hand. Spell queller's second triggered ability activates. Stack is now the replay ability on top of the exile ability on top of the bolt.
      6) Replay ability resolves, but there's currently nothing exiled so nothing happens.
      7) Exile ability resolves, exiling the bolt.

That lightning bolt is now gone for good. There's no way for you opponent to get it back because the replay trigger has already come and gone. Even if you eventually replay the queller targeting a different spell your opponent won't get a chance to kill it and replay the bolt because the bolt was exiled by a "different" spell queller, as far as the game is concerned.
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Let's see...
      Flash
      Flying
      When Spell Queller enters the battlefield, exile target spell with converted mana cost 4 or less.
      When Spell Queller leaves the battlefield, the exiled card's owner may cast that card without paying its mana cost.
      By exiling a card, wherever it may be, it puts it from the current location to outside the game. If the source is from the stack, then as soon as it leaves the stack, it can't resolve as an object in the stack, and doesn't count as a spell any more. Notably, it stops it without saying "counter", so if any effect cares about whether something was countered, this ignores that.

EDIT: And of course Foo gets there before me. With links, too.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sabbo ().

• ^_^

If anyone's interested in seeing Arena in play, recorded my deck building and first match today:

Display Spoiler

[/spoilers]
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Cant' wait to view that video, Foo.

----

Also: caved and went in with friends on Dominaria boosters.

It's weeeeird... they have enchantment sagas, I like them but they're so different looking it throws me off.
      Got two mythics of these, Phyrexian Scriptures and History of Benalia. I LOVE Phyrexian (and found this card in conjuncture with it thanks Reddit and I SO want to do this combo), and am -meh- about the Benalia. Not that it's a bad card per se, just more specific and I've never had the biggest interest in Knight creatures, even though some of them are quite nifty (thinking Fiendslayer Paladin or Knight Exemplar) I mean.. they basically play the same as Vampire stacks with their abilities, and since I already have a good vamp deck, having a Knight deck seems like overkill. Though knowing me, I'll make one eventually anyway.
      Anyway, I'm excited to work with the Sagas, I'm thinking of reworking my enchantment commander deck to be way more focused, so I could attempt to incorporate some of these in that revamp. Maybe... idk.

Got a couple rares, couple uncommons, digging Arvad the Cursed as a nice straightforward use, and Shalai, Voice of Plenty (but I'm biased for my angels) because this card is wicked and fits my playstyle to a t.

Overall I would need to know more about the cards and get more in hand to really evaluate the set as a whole. I haven't had the time recently... hopefully I can make some room for this MTG set because I actually really like it.

Oh! Also pulled a Gilded Lotus! Was very happy when I saw that, I only owned one.

"Defense against the dark farts, am I right?" -Pennington
      | This spot reserved for Dark Link Reigns |

• Thanks Foo and Sabbo. I'm curious now about how exiling a non-permanent would compare to returning a non-permanent to the hand (do cards even do that? I can't think of an example).
      I get why Exiling is better than returning to the hand or putting in the graveyard, it's just that "in the moment negation" that confuses me.

I guess it comes from the old yugioh proverb (lol?)- "MST doesn't negate", which is to say that a common removal card, Mystical Space Typhoon, could destroy cards, but their effect would still occur.

Second, I realize my deck has one other confusing interaction. The cards in question are Seance and Stunt Double.

Stunt Double is in my graveyard. I exile it with Seance, and create a copy of it on the battlefield. Stunt Double Token's ETB triggers, and I copy another card (Drogkkol Captain, for example. But it doesn't matter what card). Does the copy, which has now re-copied into a new card, still get Exiled by Seance's effect?

Edit: i realize a ruling sort of touches on this, but I'm still confused:

"The delayed triggered ability that exiles the token isn’t a characteristic of the token. If an effect such as populate copies the token, the new copy won’t be exiled."

NBD if this is too vexing. I can always just replace my Stunt Double with Chapel Geist and have no problems whatsoever. =p

OoooooooOOOOOhhhHHHooooHHHH

The post was edited 1 time, last by EmptyStar ().

• EmptyStar wrote:

I'm curious now about how exiling a non-permanent would compare to returning a non-permanent to the hand (do cards even do that? I can't think of an example).
      I don't know of an example (since I don't play MtG), but I'd be very surprised if no cards did it. After all, cards can only be permanents while in the field. (so graveyard to hand would be "returning" a non-permanent to hand, regardless of what the card is.) Or if you mean from stack to hand, that's probably a thing as well, but of course not nearly as common as countering.

EmptyStar wrote:

which is to say that a common removal card, Mystical Space Typhoon, could destroy cards, but their effect would still occur.
      If a Sorcery or Instant is removed from the chase, its effect doesn't happen. If a permanent is removed after putting an ability (of any kind) on the stack, the ability will still happen unless it loses all targets or the ability is countered (at least I assume MtG has ability "counterspells").

EmptyStar wrote:

Stunt Double is in my graveyard. I exile it with Seance, and create a copy of it on the battlefield. Stunt Double Token's ETB triggers, and I copy another card (Drogkkol Captain, for example. But it doesn't matter what card). Does the copy, which has now re-copied into a new card, still get Exiled by Seance's effect?
      I'm again assuming MtG works like FoW (90% of the time it does), but the copy I believe has no continuous effects applied to it, unless one is applied as it is created. As such, it doesn't get exiled by that effect.
    • That said, I've got another fun card. Interestingly, it's another Water card.

Entity=permanent (note: J-rulers are entities, but rulers are not since they're not in a field)
      Also, decks are 40-60 cards, before drawing at the start of the game.

On a non-functional note, I don't like the art. Nice detail and whatnot, but it reminds me of the super crowded artstyle & design certain Bushiroad games go for. (which is ugly, and the primary reason I don't play those games)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sabbo ().

• You can return non-permanent to hand certainly. The most common way of doing so is with the spell Remand but also consider the case of something like Venser, Shaper Savant.

Any effects that occur as a result of a sorcery spell being put on the stack *in the first place* are still going to occur if the sorcery is countered, exiled, returned to hand, whatever.

If you have a monastery mentor in play and cast lightning bolt you still get all of the mentor's triggers even if the lightning bolt is counterspelled, remanded, or dissipated. If you cast a tendrils the storm ability still makes its copies, and those copies still continue to exist even if the original tendrils is removed from the stack in any way.

This is how you proverb would apply to magic.

---

Re: seance, the token copy will still get exiled at end of turn. The ability of stunt double (or the stunt double token) changes the *characteristics* of a game object (itself) but it doesn't create a whole new game object. The delayed triggered ability from séance goes looking for the object that was created, not any particular characteristic of that object, so it will still find and exile the token.

If you could find a way to turn the stunt double into a new game object then you could avoid the exile. For example, if séance returned the Stunt Double itself to the battlefield instead of a token you could flicker it because the object that comes out of a flicker isn't the same object that went in. It's very, very difficult to convert a token into a new game object though (which is why séance gives you a token in the first place - to stop shenanigans).

---

@Lady Sunshine

I've been playing a lot with History of Benalia and while I agree with the assessment that knights are kind of boring (even the Benalish knights with their whole stained glass thing) and I was wondering if the card really felt mythic at first actually casting it has certainly convinced me. It's three mana for *minimum* 8 power and 6 toughness on the turn the saga completes. Good golly. :P

Phyrexian Scriptures combo potential is hilarious. The Hex Parasite interaction, looping through the first and second ability over and over again, is particularly nice.
      ~~~
      ~~~

The post was edited 2 times, last by Foo ().

• Re: Ragnarok

In draft this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I really hope it's in 1 in 1000 packs or something, cause damn.

In constructed, I think this is a fairly cool design, but I also suspect that Birthday Paradox style effects make it seem much better than it is. Duplicates are going to come up far more quickly then it intuitively feels they should unless you're specifically building a singleton deck to avoid that (I know we've talked about a singleton Ruler before but she was aggro as fuck and this guy is the opposite, so I have no idea how supportable that would be).

How many cards do you want in hand before the last ability is anything but flavour text? 10? 12? That's a tall order no matter how you slice it.

Still, ETB draw 5 on a creature of not-totally-ridiculous-cost is something that control is always going to want and midrange is almost always going to want, I would think. And if you *can* make that singleton strategy work for a mostly-reactive deck I think this guy would be a ton of fun to play.

(I *do* imagine he'd lead to a lot of game rules violations in a competitive setting. Keeping track of whether you've hit a match is more mentally taxing then it seems at first and I imagine people are either going to miss a match some 10% of the time and over-draw or else resolve the ability so deliberately and slowly that it warrants a penalty >>)
      ~~~
      ~~~

• Foo wrote:

Re: seance, the token copy will still get exiled at end of turn. The ability of stunt double (or the stunt double token) changes the *characteristics* of a game object (itself) but it doesn't create a whole new game object. The delayed triggered ability from séance goes looking for the object that was created, not any particular characteristic of that object, so it will still find and exile the token.

If you could find a way to turn the stunt double into a new game object then you could avoid the exile. For example, if séance returned the Stunt Double itself to the battlefield instead of a token you could flicker it because the object that comes out of a flicker isn't the same object that went in. It's very, very difficult to convert a token into a new game object though (which is why séance gives you a token in the first place - to stop shenanigans).
      Interesting. This quite distinctly different from FoW (where copies keep all printed information - and for spells, it's X cost and what if any additional text it has due to effects such as Awakening - but no continuous effects except ones which would apply to it anyway.

(Examples: If a resonator with Flying has been hit by a "target resonator loses Flying" effect, and is then copied, the copy has Flying. On the other hand if there is an effect saying "Resonators lose and cannot gain Flying" or an ability written as "When this card enters the field => Resonators lose and cannot gain Flying until end of turn" was triggered that turn already, then it won't have it.)

Foo wrote:

In draft this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I really hope it's in 1 in 1000 packs or something, cause damn.
      It's a super rare, so about 1/30, I think. Plus the 1/216 for a pack to have one of every SR from the set.

Foo wrote:

(I know we've talked about a singleton Ruler before but she was aggro as fuck and this guy is the opposite, so I have no idea how supportable that would be)
      Poor, but I know people will try to make it work. Or play the ruler which is why the 60 card maximum was introduced in the first place, where your deck is your life ("Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you. For each 100 damage prevented this way, remove the top card of your deck from the game"), playing that as singleton alongside the one currently legal card which shuffles your graveyard into your deck.
    • Thanks for clarifying things! =)

I played magic tonight! with MY decks this time! =D
      I played against that friend of mine that's been playing since Odyssey (and then stopped around Mirrodin). He still played like a pro. He shared my decks.

It was vamps vs Faeries. The Vampires won every round haha, regardless of who was playing it.

The vampire deck was fast- I realized, Foo, you mentioned that Swords to Plowshares was a broken card in the deck, but that didn't even come up in any of our matches. The deck itself was so fast Faeries couldn't keep up. I know aggro can shut down things quickly, but damn. Even ~I~ managed to win my games quickly with it. The games basically devolved into Forerunner into Mavren or Sanctuary Seeker on next turn and winning two turns later. I wasn't expecting it to preform that well- but it worked great. You asked earlier why I included Bishop of the Bloodstained over Bloodwitch, and it was both for flavor and handicap. He still won games though!

My playgroup as of now knows the game better than I do- to the point where they can borrow my otherwise foreign-to-them decks for the first time and play them expertly.
      Merfolk and Goblins are gonna be used for practice/ learning matches for our friends who wanna learn with us and don't know the game.
      My personal decks, Vampires and Faeries so far, are gonna be my decks to use against my more seasoned friends. After tonight I went ahead and tweaked Faeries to have more longevity in my group. I removed a Liege, Faerie Taunting, and Oona's Grace in favor of some more lands, namely my dual land of choice, Secluded Glen. I love the overall flavor and mechanical output of my deck, I just want to look into redistributing card totals so far. I also wanna eventually swap the remaining Oona's Graces for Distant Melodies but don't know if that would be too costly mana wise.

Anyway, some members of my group just happen to casually be friends with some LGS owners and invited me to Dominaria draft. I turned them down, since the part of mtg that I really enjoy is personalized deckbuilding and including cards that I really like. Drafting just doesn't seem like my speed.

Lastly, I REALLY want to play commander in our group! I love the interpersonal interactions while playing MtG, and a four/ three person free for all with crazy decks seems like such fun. I have a Spirit Tribal with Traft, my friend has an Aurelia deck, and my other friend that plays commander has two or three decks for the format.
      I've included my decklist below. I get that Traft is supposed to be a voltron deck, but Innistrad spirits are SO COOL so I merged them together in a way that I hope is cohesive. Basically it's a pillowfort deck that utilizes low mana/ token spirits to occupy the board while I wait to get out Traft. The deck seems like it's gonna be super fun.

Here are all my decks:
      tappedout.net/mtg-decks/divine-inquisition/
      tappedout.net/mtg-decks/midsummer-mischief/
      tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trafts-lost-army/