Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    [as god is my witness.]

• *click*

The soft sound roused Asher from her slumber and sensation began to flood into her consciousness. Her head throbbed with a dull ache, her mouth was dry, and all her muscles were sore as if she'd been working out. When she opened her eyes to figure out the source of the sound, she discovered that she was in a most unusual place. A wall of curved glass covered her, and beyond it was a bare room with bright white walls and industrial fluorescent lighting. With a bit of investigation she came to the conclusion that the clicking sound was the releasing of a latch, and Asher was able to push aside the glass, letting it swing gently open on its hinges. Standing up she found that she had been in some kind of bed, which was tilted just far back enough for her to lie down in. "What is—"

Before she could finish her thought, a soft *bing* sound interrupted her, and a computerized voice began to speak.

Welcome to the EDOM Human Undertaking of General Experiments Experiment, <Asher>!

Her name was spoken with a slightly different inflection, indicating that the rest of the message had been recorded before her name was awkwardly inserted into it. It was probably a generic message.

We are glad to have you here in our state-of-the-art facility to undertake general experiments and experiment-like exercises. My name is CASTOR and I will be your automated assistant for your stay here at the EDOM test facility.

Rubbing her aching head, Asher began to look around the room. It was a small chamber; enough so that the bed wouldn't have fit if it were flat on the ground. Painted on the walls in a light gray, almost faded enough to be difficult to see on the white surface, was the text [STASIS CHAMBER 013]. "Stasis...?" Asher muttered, while the computer voice continued to speak.

You have just awoken from a short-term bio-stasis, so you may feel disoriented, confused, and a little sore. Less common side-effects are retrograde amnesia, migraine, nausea, death, nosebleeds, and tinnitus (ringing of the ears). Please inform your test facilitator if you experience any of these adverse effects so they can prepare your last meal and perform any last rites.

The only thing in the chamber besides the bed was a small wardrobe in the corner. Suddenly realizing she was naked, Asher walked over and opened the wardrobe. It was empty except for one complete outfit, and a familiar outfit it was. It was her own clothes; the boots, the gloves the long wool coat—all black of course. She put the clothes on and checked all the pockets while she did. All her possessions had been stripped, although one of the pockets was full of small round tokens that she didn't recognize. That's right, personal possessions weren't allowed...wait, allowed where? What am I remembering?

You have been in stasis for—

The voice suddenly cut off, a loud static noise startling Asher. Through the static, a different, more robotic voice spoke.

ERROR RETRIEVING DATA FROM BIOSTASIS CHAMBER CLOCK. MAINTENANCE ORDER HAS BEEN ISSUED.

Then the original voice continued, as if nothing had happened.

—days. You were selected for the HUGE Experiment in <five, August, two-thousand seventeen>, putting you in test group <12>. Your personal belongings are in storage and will be returned to you at the end of the experiment. Your clothes are in the locker in your chamber, please get dressed and when you are ready enter the common room to meet your fellow test group members.

When the voice said this, there was another click, and a thin vertical crack appeared in the wall. Asher walked up to it and realized it was a door, practically invisible while closed. She put her fingers into the crack and the door slid open about halfway before getting stuck. She sighed in frustration.

Thank you for your participation and cooperation! I will be talking to you again soon, <Asher>.

___>//

It took Asher a couple of minutes to force her large body through the small opening of the jammed doorway but she eventually managed. The room beyond was fairly large and well-furnished, although it seemed a bit out of date. "Is that a coin-operated soda machine?" she muttered to herself. Indeed, there were a set of vending machines along one wall; one had soda, one had snacks, one dispensed coffee, and the last one had small amenities like toothpaste and deodorant. In the middle of the room there was some kind of seating area with chairs and tables; some of the tables had magazines or large coffee table books, and altogether it looked a lot like a large waiting room at a hospital or something. Indeed, written on the wall in faint gray text were the words [WAITING ROOM A].

I was sent here on some kind of mission...right? EDOM...Human Undertaking...? It all sounds familiar.

There were a few doors leading out of the room; one was a set of double doors with small glass windows. On the wall next to these doors there was some kind of electronic display screen. Opposite of those were a set of doors indicated as restrooms. As she looked around she noticed small thin cracks appear in the other two walls. Three of them, sliding doors like the one she had just come out of. "Hello?" Asher asked curiously.

pronouns: it/its or squi/squir
      ask me about my LGBTA+ and nonbinary Discord servers.

The post was edited 2 times, last by gerudoyoshi ().

• (Not sure what I'm doing here but I'll try to play along.)

Luke exited the chamber after working up the nerve. He had played enough video games to know that if you heard a robotic voice than everyone else in the facility was probably dead. After putting on clothes and mulling over the robots speech he slowly easing his way out of the chamber and into the "waiting room." It was a cosy looking room. Chairs, vending machines. It honestly seemed a bit retro. That was a sign that something was definetly off. What was this "test" really for and why had he signed up for it. Had he signed up for it? He couldn't remember anything about it. There was a girl in the room. She could be a robot. Luke thought. He decided to attempt to engage in conversation.
      "Uh... Hi." He said, hoping to get the girls attention.
    • Joanne Becker wasn't used to waking up with no memory of where she was or what had happened. She wasn't one to partake in excessive inebriation - at least since she graduated college and entered the workforce. That wasn't to say she wasn't tempted from time to time to do so; her clients had an uncanny knack for depressing her or frustrating her. Sometimes even both.

Still the throbbing headache and the fact it felt like someone shoved cotton in her mouth as a reminder back to her college days. Squeezing her eyes together before opening them, she quickly closed them again when the light of the room momentarily blinded her. Opening her brown eyes slowly, the first thing she noticed was some sort of curved glass covered her, and beyond it was a bare room with bright white walls and industrial fluorescent lighting. Heart pounding in her chest, Joanne placed her hand against the glass only for it to easily swing outwards.

"Wha-" she breathed just as a computerized voice interrupted her.

Welcome to the EDOM Human Undertaking of General Experiments Experiment, <Joanne>

We are glad to have you here in our state-of-the-art facility to undertake general experiments and experiment-like exercises. My name is CASTOR and I will be your automated assistant for your stay here at the EDOM test facility.

You have just awoken from a short-term bio-stasis, so you may feel disoriented, confused, and a little sore. Less common side-effects are retrograde amnesia, migraine, nausea, death, nosebleeds, and tinnitus (ringing of the ears). Please inform your test facilitator if you experience any of these adverse effects so they can prepare your last meal and perform any last rites.

You have been in stasis for—ERROR RETRIEVING DATA FROM BIOSTASIS CHAMBER CLOCK. MAINTENANCE ORDER HAS BEEN ISSUED-—days. You were selected for the HUGE Experiment in <five, August, two-thousand seventeen>, putting you in test group <12>. Your personal belongings are in storage and will be returned to you at the end of the experiment. Your clothes are in the locker in your chamber, please get dressed and when you are ready enter the common room to meet your fellow test group members.

Thank you for your participation and cooperation! I will be talking to you again soon, <Joanne>.

The EDOM Human Undertaking General Experiment ... sounds familiar ... Joanne grimace as she staggered out of the chamber pod, vaguely remembering have to fill some sort of paperwork she had to fill out. Glancing down, she noticed she was naked and the psychologist wondered when that happened but stored it away to muse on for later. Noticing the wardrobe nearby, she staggered over and threw it open. Inside was her professional clothes - a pair of black dress slacks, a white blouse and her black suit jacket. Thankfully she also noticed she had been wearing her flats instead of attempting to torture herself with high heels. Pulling her clothes on, she glanced around the room. Besides the wardrobe was the glass unit she just crawled out of; the whole place gave her a hospital vibe if she was being honest.

That's when she noticed some faded writing on the walls; [STASIS CHAMBER 002].

"Stasis chamber..." she thought before recalling what the computer said and a sudden jolt of heat and adrenaline rushed through her, and she shoved her hands in her pocket to search for her cellphone only to pull out some round tokens she didn't recognize.

"Damn it!" she swore, looking around. She still didn't remember anything about the experiment, but she was able to piece together she had been put under a deep sleep for an undetermined about of time. Judging by the faded letters, a lot longer than she felt comfortable with and probably longer than she signed up for.

Information ... I need information!

Looking around, she found the door and pushed her way through - with some difficulty - and the room beyond was fairly large and well-furnished, and saw a woman who looked her age though her family history seemed to hail from the Middle East given her complexion. Approaching her seemed to be some white man.

Right ... there were others, she thought before noticing some kind of electronic display screen. Deciding to ignore the other two for the moment, she decided to investigate the display to see if she could get any information from it to jog her memory.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • [the display screen is blank but for a solid black console window that occupies most of the space, white text written therein reading the following:]

>_Chronicle A00:

Source Code

1. ED#10,344.1
      2. I just heard from an old, old friend for the first time in a long time. In fact, it’s the first time in a long time I’ve heard from anyone—I didn’t think the channels of communication were still open, but he found a way. He always does, my dearest grandson. And now he’s coming to get me. All part of some grand plan he has to thwart his father, I’m sure. My wayward son.
      3. I’ve been here for so long, the prospect of leaving was all but forgotten to me. Could I even, at this point? This place has become a part of me—and I, a part of it. And what about Esau, could I leave him here all alone? I did what I could for him and it was never enough... Now, I want nothing more than to return to the world I once knew, to see another friendly face.
      4. He’ll be here soon, or he’ll send one of his men like he usually does. He’ll need my help getting myself and the others out of here, so I’m getting as much prepared as I can now. Making sure the route is clear, convincing Esau to keep his attention elsewhere, setting up distractions for the witnesses. It won’t be a cakewalk, but I trust my grandson to get us out of here safe and well.
      5. I’d better gather my notes too; can’t let all this research go to waste. Anyway, the thrill is making my palms tingle, so I’m going to take a break.
      6. —Abram

___>//

"Uh, hi."

Asher turned around to see that a man had entered the waiting room from one of the chambers behind her. At the same time, a woman was forcing her way out of another chamber. Seems I'm not the only one alive and well. The woman, wearing professional-looking clothes, went to investigate the display panel, so Asher turned her attention to the man. He was slightly taller, slightly younger than Asher but much less physically fit. He seemed to be the type who sat in a desk all day and probably knew way too much about computers. He was wearing a t-shirt with some comic book character on it and he had long blond hair and green eyes. Asher scoffed out loud. "What do you remember, small man?"

The post was edited 1 time, last by gerudoyoshi ().

• Well that was kind of harsh. The woman had just snapped at him. Although, anyone would be on the fence like that if they had just woken up in a wierd stasis pod. He assumed she had at least. "Woah, woah hey!" He said defensively as he raised his hands in the air. "I'm not here to fight so there's no need to snap at me." He stopped for a second to catch his breath. "I remember nothing if you want to know. Nothing about this place at least. I definetly don't like it though." He stopped and realized he hadn't introduced himself. He held put his hand. "My names Luke. What's yours."
    • Joanne's brow furrowed as she read the soft white text. Putting her hand on her chin, she ran a single finger down the monitor and inspected it. There was a thin layer of dust, but not as thick as she had expected. Still, this, well, diary entry for a lack of a better term implies a long passage of time and it was clear there hadn't been anyone here keeping up the place for awhile.

OK so let's see, she mused, turning to the other two, inspecting them. Neither exactly looked like scientists and judging by their confused expressions, they were in a similar situation as she, which didn't exactly cause her to scream confidence. What little she could gleam was they had been here for an undetermined amount of time - she would put the bare minimum of five years judging from the first line of that electronic display - and something happened to the communication systems. Something which she could only imagine was going to cause her headaches later. There was also some sort of drama going on with gears moving in the background she hoped wouldn't affect them, but wasn't going to count on it. Drama always had a way of dragging people in it, whether they like it or not.

Still ... witnesses and the fact it sounds like some sort of battle happened here. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
    • Asher looked at the man's outstretched hand but kept her own pocketed. "I don't like this place either," she said, turning away from Luke. "You can call me Asher," she said as she began making her way towards the only other person in the room.

On her way there she took note of the status of the room. At first glance it seemed clean and well-kept; the gray carpet was neat and free of stains, the walls were spotless, and there wasn't any trash to be seen. On closer inspection, there was a thin layer of dust, but it was hard to tell how long it had been since the dust was last cleaned. Asher could hear the gentle whirring of fans up in the ceiling that probably filtered the air and if the room hadn't been occupied in a while, well, dust was primarily dander from human skin.

"What did you find?" Asher asked the woman, looking over her shoulder at the screen.

• Blunt. Straight to the point. Doesn't entertain formalities.

Joanne made a mental note, taking in her strong features, already beginning to build a psychological profile on the woman without really thinking about it. After a second, she turned back to the electronic display.

"This place hasn't seen human activity in a bit, judging by the dust build up," she said. "Between what I've inferred from the room where I woke up in and the writing on this computer, I would assume we've been in stasis for at least five years. Obviously we were here part of some sort of experiment, but I cannot remember what, nor why I agreed to sign up for whatever it is. There were also scientists here making logs and there seems to be some sort of drama going on at some point between two different parties. Oh, also, it seems the communication systems are potentially down."

Joanne tilted her head and stared the woman down.

"Is there anything you have which can give us some more information?"

• Luke sighed. He put his hand down because it would be akward to stand there with his hand out like that. Tge two other people in the room were now clustered around a terminal. It looked like a computer but it didn't seem to have any sort of keyboard or activation unit. This was all starting to remind him of portal two. Hopefully there would be no British robots or laser turrets. He went over to inspect the vending machines. They were coin operated. Why were they coin operated? No one had any belongings on them. If they had taken his belongings they had definetly taken the others. It was just common sence. He sighed again. If only he had his phone so he could look up tv tropes info. Of course there was probably no cell service anyways. He decided to take a logical video game approach to this. If they're were others in the room at least one of them had to have information. He walked over to the other two, glancing down at the message on the screen. It was forboding. He really didn't like this place. It had evil scientist written all over it. Maybe some AI to.

• Asher scanned the information on the display panel. "Why five years...?" No communication... "I'm afraid I don't have any additional information for you. I—"

Once again, Asher was interrupted by a soft *bing*.

Greetings, test group <12>! It’s your friend and automated assistant CASTOR!

"This again?"

Now that you have had time to meet your fellow test group members, it is almost time to begin the experiment. A test facilitator has been assigned to your group and will be arriving shortly to guide you. If you have any questions, please wait until after the experiment to ask them. It is understood that your test group already had an extensive question and answer session that should have covered everything you need to know.

Help yourself to any refreshments and amenities you want while you wait. You have each been provided with a complimentary gift of five vending tokens for the machines; they should be in your pockets. You may use them all now, or save them for later rest and relaxation rooms.

Asher pulled the tokens out of her pocket. They were stamped with a hexagon and the word "HUGE". Glancing over at the vending machines, she thought so that's what these are for.

See you soon!

• That voice again! Luke didn't like this at all. Not one bit. Test facilitator? What even was a test facilitator? Luke glanced at the vending machines. He felt in his pockets. Tokens. I'm certainly not going to eat anything from those machines. He thought. He looked over the terminal. Maybe he could hack it? How had the message gotten on the screen in the first place? He went over to the door and tried it. Locked. Of course.
    • "Auurgh..." Elizabeth groaned, stumbling around in the room she'd woken up in. There was some kind of...voice? Yeah...some sort of computer voice.

She tuned out the entire speech it was giving, her forehead feeling like it was splitting open. What the hell was going on? Had she gotten drugged at a party or something? She didn't remember going to anything like that, but...

As the voice finished its speech promising to "talk to her again soon", she cursed under her breath. Eventually, she managed to find her way over to a locker, struggling to open it, finding her clothes inside.

Well, it probably wasn't anybody from a party. From what she'd heard, somebody like that probably wouldn't have kept her clothes in a locker.

Slipping her outfit on, she groaned again. The feeling in her forehead probably wasn't going to fade anytime soon...

Walking out of the door, she spotted a few other people standing around, grimacing slightly. They were probably going to say something, and with her head feeling the way it did, she was sure it'd be awful. Maybe she could pretend she was deaf? Nah, they'd just talk louder then.

Walking up, she waved weakly.

"H...hey...where...are we? I missed out on the...robot call or whatever that was..."
    • Asher turned to face the newcomer but, before she could say anything, was interrupted by yet another soft *bing*.

Greetings, test group <12>! It’s me again, CASTOR!

I’m very sorry about the wait! The test facilitator that was assigned to your group will be firmly reprimanded and/or terminated. An on-call backup test facilitator has been contacted and should be arriving soon, so please be patient. You have all been rewarded with <two> more vending tokens as an apology.

When the computer program said this, there was a loud rattling noise that came from what appeared to be a change machine next to the vending machines. Indeed, what appeared to be...twelve?...tokens were sitting in the little cup on the face of the machine.

Again, my apologies!

Taking a closer look to count the tokens, Asher said "Twelve tokens. That suggests there were supposed to be six people in our 'test group'. Do you suppose they've yet to wake up?"

• More robot announcements. Luke really wanted to strangle this "CASTOR" now. And what did it mean by "terminated." Luke was distracted from his thinking by Asher wondering aloud. Although she probably didn't want an answer Luke decided to apply one to her question anyway. "Maybe they were "terminated" whatever that means." He said. "On that subject I should probably get aquatinted with those I will likely be escaping this place with." He turned to the other person in the room and the newcomer. "My names Luke. What are yours."
    • Joanne was about to answer Asher's question, pointing out the small details she noticed (elapsed time references in the journal entries and the worn down writing on the walls) until she was interrupted - several times - in quick succession. Taking a deep breath and reminding herself to keep calm and wait until everyone finished talking. While it seemed Asher seemed the one who would be the most dependable - she had quick analytic skills - judging from her observations the new person and this Luke at this current time wouldn't be much help in helping them figuring it out.

So, she opted to ignore them for the time being and focus on what mattered.

"Well why don't we see if we can't find the rooms they were supposed to be in and see?" she pointed out. "If they died, we could see how long they had been dead for if we're lucky. Either way, if we find them, we'll gain more information about our situation."

• "I already told you my name," Asher said to Luke, dismissively. Taking the woman's thoughts into account, Asher examined the two opposing walls where the stasis chamber doors opened up. Only the four that they had come through were open, but there was room enough for six on each wall, for a total of twelve. Asher walked up close to one of the walls, where there should be a door to an unopened chamber, and began to feel for the seam. "I can't find a seam or any other way to open the chamber, it's very well crafted."

Five years... Or longer? The journal entry signed by Abram suggested the individual had been trapped for "a long time," and had not spoken to anyone in at least as long, but give little indication as to how long that might be. Presuming the individual was trapped within the EDOM facility, which even this was unclear, that would suggest it had been abandoned of people long before the journal entry was written...whenever that was. Did Abram already get rescued by the prodigal grandson?

2017. The name of the year felt so foreign to Asher's mind, as if she had been stuck here so long that even her unconscious mind had forgotten what year it was. What was the world like now? The experiment had still been a thing in that year, when did it get abandoned? The experiment...why was I here? My father sent me but was it a personal mission...or was it for Israel? Experiment...

"It's an experiment..." she pondered.

• Luke simply ignored being ignored and placed his vending coins on the nearest table. No sence in having them if he wasn't going to use them. If they were looking for hidden doors then the best place to look was under things and in nooks and crannies. They're they would most likely find catches. He didn't care that no one had asked him he simply wanted to escape. And if cooperating with the others was the only way to do that then he would.
    • Hello again, test group <12>. I have some bad news!

Asher looked around to see if she could find the speakers, but nothing stood out. It sounded like CASTOR's voice came from everywhere at once.

It seems that I’m having trouble contacting a backup facilitator. If one cannot be contacted, then I’m afraid this experiment will have be postponed! I will keep—

Just as Asher was beginning to hope the test would be cancelled, the computer was suddenly interrupted by a static that, once again, was at least three times as loud as the voice had been. The same, robotic and hollow-sounding voice spoke through the static.

REMOTE OVERRIDE ACCEPTED. ADMIN "HOMELAND" RECOGNIZED. FULLY AUTOMATED SELF-GUIDED MODE ACTIVE. NOTICE: SELF-GUIDED MODE IS STILL IN BETA. YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY NOT MEET EXPECTATIONS.

It seems that self-guided mode has been turned on! Great news! I will be your test facilitator and the test will be fully automated by me, your automated assistant! It will be up to you, test group <12>, to guide yourselves through the experiment chambers—with my aid of course! I will open the doors to the first experiment chamber as soon as this message is complete, please make your way there as a group and do not waste time.

Let’s have some fun!

*click*

Asher looked, and the double doors leading out of the room now stood ajar.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gerudoyoshi ().

• Huh. That wasn't creepy at all. Now the test was going to be automated and run by a goddamn AI! Luke geussed that they're options were to keep looking for hidden doors or leave. But who had tuned on self guided mode? Surly there was no one else alive in this facility. The answer had to lie outside of the double doors. Luke headed towards them and cautiously peeked outside.
    • The double doors led to a narrow hallway, ending at another pair of double doors, also ajar. There were doors on either side of the hall as well, and windows one could look through to see what was beyond. On the left appeared to be a cafeteria of sorts, with lots of tables and chairs and a long counter where the food was presumably served. The chairs were all neatly tucked in to the tables and there was no food, nor anyone around to serve it. On the right was some kind of exercise room, containing every sort of exercise equipment one could imagine.

The cafeteria is closed today! Feel free to use the training room, but make sure that you do so as a group. Everyone needs to enter the experiment cell at the same time!