Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    Mafia Community Discussion
    • ^I mean, it depends.

If we had a community of comparable size to, say, a year ago I would agree with the current rule staying in place (and if the community suddenly ballooned I would want to revise it to be like the original again). But, say Kae and some other GM are the only GM submitting games - if we bar them from submitting games until x number of games pass, and there are no other GMs, then it could perhaps be a negative thing? Because then the people who are running games suddenly can't, and there may not be anything to fill that gap.

I think a better solution would be to change the rule and then to gauge activity. If we see an influx of GMs, then make it a two or three game wait to GM a new game, that way everyone gets their shot. If there are only two or three consistent GMs, or GMs flit in and out (which is what I'm expecting to happen, honestly, with the amount of "in progress" games that have been in progress for literal months), then it seems silly to make them wait or punish them for wanting to help the community by GMing games on a relatively consistent basis.
    • Hey Mafia Community. So recently we've been discussing the very real issue of inactivity and how to deal with it going forwards.

Here are some of my thoughts which I also posted in the hub of Cody's mafia game, and I wanted to reiterate some points here.

------

Regarding new players and generating content:

I think people don't know how or what to post sometimes, and that takes away from important content. Maybe we in CC or as GM's can work on a shorter, condensed, easier to follow guide for those getting into mafia for the first time. I sent something like that to a newbie through PM to explain, and they agreed that what we have now (while super wonderful and useful) is definitely daunting and a lot of newbies (myself included back in the summer) will not take the time to read. And sure - their loss? But if something is that huge to read, a lot of people don't even know where to start. So; maybe a bit of a rehashing is in order. And this could help non-new players too just get a better grasp on how to generate content in general.

For anyone here who struggles with making content or knowing what to say; me too. When I first started playing in mafia I felt like such an idiot because I didn't know how to post and kept messing up when I did. But the more you see how others post, how they analyze, how the game works, learn the ins and outs of roles, and force yourself to post literally a n y t h i n g at all, the easier it gets. I still struggle, and when I do I just tell myself:

-What do you want to know?
      -What are your gut instincts?
      -Whose posting style do you like this game, and can you ask them any questions to generate content?
      -Can you post your read list?
      -Can you post a vote count?
      -What posts can you quote to respond to or call out for being strangely worded or suspicious?

All of these prompts in my mind help me to make posts and not second-guess.

Regarding inactivity:

Regardless if I'm a townie or a mafioso player, I like being active as much as I'm able. It's not.. fun for me? To lay low in games. It's a game! I want to be involved, especially if it's crazy and people are posting a lot and its confusion everywhere. It's stressful, and sometimes emotional, but in the end its fun. That's why we play to begin with, right? And like I said, "laying low" is a fair option, but I agree that not posting at all is kinda.. sucky. Maybe in games we push to lynch people being quiet until it changes the standard of these games. Or maybe it's in these discussions where we push forth our opinions that players decide to step up or change their strategies.

SO community opinions - should inactivity be punished by players actions in-game, or should GM's start punishing low activity?
      (this is different than people being completely inactive and being mod-killed).

While this game, this round, was definitely quiet, the last one most certainly was not. I felt that Mafia T2 was extremely successful, and it definitely came down to the final five players (Don, Rambo, Linkle, myself and Ruki. Ahh that loss hurt). But it was SO GOOD and everyone really did a fantastic job. And people were active, and it was crazy and suspenseful and I'm glad I was so upset over losing because it means I tried really hard and others just out-maneuvered or out-convinced me. This is how mafia should be. Get invested, get involved, play strategy and play to win.

This time around it is possible that people struggled with IRL issues, and it happened to be, like, half the play group. This game comparatively to Persona mafia was a lot smaller, so when people aren't active it's very noticeable. I'm hoping it was a glitch in the system. Thinking back, we have had issues with activity, but not the group as a whole, usually just one or two players. Most others (I'd say, 85%) were quite active and the days still had a good amount of content. T2, Persona, South Park, Manitoba 3, to name a few, all had decent-good activity, in comparison to this game. So me posting over and over "don't play if you won't be active" is kinda a moot point at this current stage. It's just ... common sense. Why invest in a game you can't invest in? How is that fun for you, or for anyone else (spoiler: it's not). I'm not saying I haven't been a bit guilty of this in the past, but I've tried hard to stick to my word and be more active since those games.

-----

Tl;dr - I don't think there was anything wrong with Cody's game. I think IRL things were a big problem for way more players than what we've seen in the past, and it caused the game to suffer. I believe simple games like this should always remain in the queue, especially in-between crazier games, because they're vital to learning the basics and strategies in mafia. And for the (not) last time: don't play if you don't have the time! It's okay, there will always be other games for you to play in, and you can always spectate, which is actually really fun - I didn't have time to play in Sol's Persona mafia but you can bet I was reading through the thread and laughing everyday. Quite a great stress reliever when you're not actually in the game.

"Defense against the dark farts, am I right?" -Pennington
      | This spot reserved for Dark Link Reigns |

• There are two very different problems with low activity: one is that is makes the games less enjoyable universally, and another is that it favours the scum side over the town side.

This puts GMs in a really rough spot. You want to promote activity for the sake of creating a better gaming experience for all, but every time you do you're *implicitly* playing favorites, depriving the mafia of advantages, assisting the town.

The best approach , as a GM, is to have hard rules about when and how you're going to intervene when it comes to activity all laid out before the game starts. What *exactly* does it take before a person is subbed out or mod killed? When does that substitution or mod kill occur? If it's not immediate, when will the day thread be informed that the kill/substitution is *going* to occur? These really shouldn't be judgement calls made on the fly; they should be strictly dictated.

Once you have these rules in place, the Mafia are free to play to a minimum standard of activity knowing that if they meet that standard they have no fear of GM interference. Scum *will* do this, and then it's absolutely up to the town to enforce its own standards for activity that go waaaaay above and beyond what the GM is doing or they're going to just lose all their games with unlucky day 1/2s in severe fashion.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens
    • Foo wrote:

There are two very different problems with low activity: one is that is makes the games less enjoyable universally, and another is that it favours the scum side over the town side.

This puts GMs in a really rough spot. You want to promote activity for the sake of creating a better gaming experience for all, but every time you do you're *implicitly* playing favorites, depriving the mafia of advantages, assisting the town.

The best approach , as a GM, is to have hard rules about when and how you're going to intervene when it comes to activity all laid out before the game starts. What *exactly* does it take before a person is subbed out or mod killed? When does that substitution or mod kill occur? If it's not immediate, when will the day thread be informed that the kill/substitution is *going* to occur? These really shouldn't be judgement calls made on the fly; they should be strictly dictated.

Once you have these rules in place, the Mafia are free to play to a minimum standard of activity knowing that if they meet that standard they have no fear of GM interference. Scum *will* do this, and then it's absolutely up to the town to enforce its own standards for activity that go waaaaay above and beyond what the GM is doing or they're going to just lose all their games with unlucky day 1/2s in severe fashion.
      This is the solution I am talking about @Lady Sunshine and @Dark Link Reigns, nice and free from mod interference. Leave it to the GM's discretion.
    • Um, hey, hi. I apologize if this is a bit off topic but me and @GamerKitty205 have been thinking about putting together a sourt of Mafia like game except the goal isn't to root out the traitors (or, uh, whatever you do in Mafia. I don't really have experience) but instead it's to find out the real killer in a court of law. Sort of like ace attorney. We kind of need a bit of help with that so of anyones up for it I can add you to the PM.

I'm sorry if this is off topic.
    • If you're still hashing out the core mechanic of your game, why not start a thread in the Creativity section to discuss it? I understand that you want to avoid spoiling people who might end up playing in the game, but a conversation that touches just on the basics of what you're doing - the stuff you'd expect the players to know right from the start *anyway* in order to play at all - might not only help you to develop your ideas but also get people pre-interested in signing up when the game does eventually launch.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens