Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    A Map of Thyphlo Ruins
    • I said in some other thread that I was going to try to make a map of Thyphlo Ruins, and I have finally done just that. My mapping process followed this method:
      1. walk around the ruins marking everything in a certain area on the in-game map using different symbols to indicate what everything is and which direction its facing.
      2. tape a piece of paper to the TV and draw everything on with pencil and crayons.
      3. delete some of the marks on the in-game map, move to a new area, and realign the paper map with the in-game map.
      And repeat. The result is this incredibly professional map:

The outermost black line represents the outer edge of the the island. Brown lines represent walls, and orange lines represent columns. Many columns are arranged to form pseudo-walls, so I didn't bother making each column separately. There are also several types of column. Large ones with decorated tops that account most for corners, as well as some free-standing columns. Large columns with flat tops, which make up the bulk of the column-walls. Medium Columns with flat tops that account for the edges of most column-walls. The previous three are all marked in orange with no distinction made between them. There are also small pillars and some small walls – both of which an ordinary human could climb over. Those are mostly used to accent existing features and aren't included on the map, though I may add them in later. Dragon statues bodies are marked in pencil, their heads with triangles pointing in the direction that the dragon is facing. Owl statues are marked with two small rectangles, the smaller being in the direction the owl is facing. There are also some rectangular holes in the ground of unknown purpose, marked with simple squares.

Keep in mind, I wanted to map out the structure how it would have looked in its original form. Many of the statues and columns are fallen or partially destroyed, and I made no note of such damage on the map. I determined where they originally stood but looking at the statue or column in its immediate surroundings, and where possible the overarching structure of the ruins confirmed my conclusions. Only once (noted later) do the surrounding ruins imply a different direction than my initial investigation. In general, I am quite confident as to the accuracy of the map.

For clarity and detail, I'll go through the main features of interest, describing what can be found there. I would have liked to take pictures of these things, but getting the lighting right was just too difficult.

Before even entering Typhlo Ruins, a traveler coming from the nearest road will encounter some standard pillars on both sides of the path. Two owl statues flank the bridge that leads to the island where the bulk of the ruins stand. This is also where the darkness falls, and all sunlight is mysteriously – and quite abruptly – blocked out. Proceeding forward, the traveler is flanked on the left and right by what might first seem to be mere short walls. However, each of these is actually a dragon statue. Once you pass their heads, the full ruins are available to you.

The first of three discrete buildings, a short walk north of the entrance. There are three full walls facing directly north, south, and west. The eastern wall is comprised of columns with a gap at the center to allow for entry. Entering the building, your path is directed west by a series of smaller, decorative pillars. Unfortunately, there's nothing inside this building that gives any hint as to its purpose. Outside, two large owl statues facing west, toward the building.

Behind this first building, somewhat to the southwest, sits a luminous stone deposit. Around it, a circle of bog with only one land bridge connecting it to the larger island. In the bog, surrounding the luminous ore, sit the heads of six dragons, huddled around it in a circle as if the statues themselves are fascinated by the light. Luminous ore must have been very important to whomever constructed these dragon heads; thus, I believe that the old civilization which inhabited this island lived there while it was covered in darkness.

To the east, a second building, inverted from the first. The eastern wall is solid. The north, south, and west walls are made of pillars. This building features three dragon statues, their bodies spread across the ground, starting near each other and spreading out as they approach the east wall. At the east wall, the dragons begin to stand upright. The north and south dragons both look toward the entrance of the building. The middle dragon looks north. Campfires provide lighting to the area that is generous for these ruins. It has the look of a tribunal. With the fires lit, someone approaching from the main entrance would be dwarfed by the three dragon statues, and anyone standing on top of the statues would be visible in the firelight. Above the middle dragon sits a flamespear, the only one of its kind to appear in the Typhlo Ruins.

North of the eastern edge of this building stands another dragon, at the northern edge of the island but looking southward. One of this dragon's eyes is adorned with a single luminous stone. To the east, an owl stature head sits. The body may be missing or merely buried. In either case, both the owl's eyes are decorated with luminous stones. Why do these two statues have stones for eyes but the many others do not?

(I also noticed one or two owl statues in Faron that also have luminous stones in their eyes, so that phenomenon probably isn't a result of perpetual darkness.

Further east, one finds a collection of small stones squares. I first, I thought they were fire pits, but one of them (the one with the fire rod) had a small column right in the middle of it.

Going south from the main entrance, rather than north, will lead you to a smaller island a short distance from the main one. A dragon body, with no head, provides a bridge from the north to get there. A second bridge, from the east may have once connected to the island as well. Now, it stops a bit short. A third dragon body, with a head, points away from this island almost exactly. Are these three dragons the remnant of a larger structure? Does it perhaps represent a single, long dragon drifting in and out of the water? A bit to the east, not marked on the map, are two small structures. Something that looks like the body of a dragon provides stairs to the top of the larger one, but the most interesting thing here is what looks to me like a door. If it is a door, this structure would offer the only space in Typhlo ruins to be completely enclosed. The smaller structure seems to be nothing but a rectangular block. It doesn't look especially decorative, but I don't know what purpose it might serve, either.

The southern wall of the central building is lined in dragon heads. They face uniformly south. To the south of that sits what may be a small building of sorts. The left-hand owl statue is now fallen. I have marked it facing west, as it looks like it once did, but the symmetry of the surrounding area has me second-guessing that. The pillar-walls form a U shape, with an opening directly south. Two small walls (not marked) sit along the top of the U, closing it almost to a complete rectangle. With the right-hand owl looking north, and all the northern dragons looking south, the left-hand owl should also look north. That would maximize both the symmetry of the design, and the effect on anyone walking through the path between the dragons and owls.

Further east, a seemingly haphazard collection of pillars directs the traveler toward the entrance of the main courtyard, but a short detour further east leads to another interesting sight. A fire rod sits on a raised platform, approached most naturally from the west and bordered on the north and south by luminous stones. Either this place was build as a pedestal for the fire rod or the rod was placed there afterward to emphasize its importance. On the eastern side of this pedestal a stone dragon's body can be found. This dragon winds along the southeastern edge of the island, finally culminating in a head looking off to the east. This is the only dragon head oriented away from the island, yet it is placed almost as far as possible from the only viable exit.

And finally, the central structure. The core is a building about the size of the others, with walls on the northern, southern, and western sides. The floor is also raised, making entry from the east difficult and setting whoever stands here above all those in the courtyard. This is also where the shrine stands, though whether it was added later, part of the original design, or even predates the rest of the ruins is unknown.

East of this building lies what I've been calling the courtyard. Nestled between solid walls to the west and the column structures to the east, the northern and southern walls actually consist of larger-than-usual dragon bodies. The average person would likely be unable to climb these, but they do give more of an open-air feel to the place. Two stone dragons swirl around the middle of the courtyard, and the place is absolutely littered with torches, all of them pointing toward the shrine. A hinox has taken up residence here, though the original builders wouldn't have known that would happen.

Most of the questions remain unanswered. What is the source of the perpetual darkness, and is it connected to the storms at Thundra Plateau and the fog at the Spring of Courage? Was the shrine placed there before or after the rest of the ruins? And what happened to the people who lived there? But I hope that this map can at least fill in a piece of that puzzle.
      Images
      • 0.jpg

31.22 kB, 512×288, viewed 1,529 times
      • 2.jpg

17.37 kB, 512×288, viewed 424 times
      • 3.jpg

15.47 kB, 512×288, viewed 314 times
      • 4.jpg

19.49 kB, 288×512, viewed 317 times
      • 5.jpg

13.7 kB, 512×288, viewed 306 times
      • 6.jpg

15.9 kB, 512×288, viewed 274 times
      • 7.jpg

15.45 kB, 512×288, viewed 313 times
      • 8.jpg

19.64 kB, 512×288, viewed 293 times
      • 9.jpg

22.66 kB, 512×288, viewed 1,374 times
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Great job creating that. Must have taken a while but you did a very thorough job. Very interesting things to think about. I know others have connected the dots between the architecture here and at Typhlo ruins as you mentioned. But they have gone further and linked it to the Barbarian tribe from the Faron region. Things like the dragon and owl statues and emphasis on lightning and electricity have been noted as similarities between these far flung regions.

It makes you think about just how far this civilization was spread out. The luminous stones and lightning could have been important to their culture if one of their primary locations was shrouded in perpetual darkness.

Here's the link of the original video that I remember this theory coming from...
      Book III: The Barbarians of Faron Region, and their Descendants
    • @LLLLLink I mostly carried actual torches, but when I had to climb, I usually switched to light arrows. Those seemed to work a little better than Daruk's Protection. I also kept the Radiant clothes and the Bow of Twilight equipped, so Link was glowing in the dark the whole time.

@Bed2245 Yeah, I've seen that video. It's actually one of the things that made me think there might be more to Thyphlo Ruins than just a shrine quest, and to look at the ruins in Faron as well. My only criticism is that the lightning stuff could just be coincidental.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Hey @Evran_Speer, that's a really cool map! Must have taken quite a while to make, considering what a pain in butt that place is to explore.

I was wondering if I could use in for my fic? I was planning on having Skull Kid hiding out in there, making a giant pest of himself for the party who comes looking for him, and a certain Ocarina he has in his possession.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • @Violetlight I'd be honored. And, having traveled through that place enough to make the map, I'll throw in an extra bit of personal experience. Because the column-walls aren't solid, you can pass between the columns and cross the whole island pretty quickly if you're running away from something (a swarm of keese, in my case). And once you do that, figuring out where you are can be difficult; since so many of the landmarks are different arrangements of the same couple of pieces, it's easy to convince yourself that you're in one place only to turn a corner and find out that were someplace completely different. You almost have to run the whole way around any particular landmark to see it from every side before rule out all the other possibilities and be sure of where you are. Though marking your path on the Sheikah Slate certainly makes things easier.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects