Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    • @Lord Vain, @Hylian Spectre or @Cornelius Fudge or anyone else lol... I just want a simple answer to a question I have wondered about a while. I can't test it out for the moment since I started the game over and haven't unlocked the chain attack-mechanic yet.

When it comes to chain attacks and elemental orbs... I just assume that you can only have one elemental orb of the same element per chain attack, right? I have never seen a case where there are two of the same element, and no internet guide seems to ever bring this up and no one asks about it, so I just assume that you can't have for example two fire orbs in one chain attack? Even if there are different combos? I am sure you can't, but I want some confirmation since this makes me mad. So in other words, you can have max 8 orbs in one chain attack right? One of each element?

Thanks in advance.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• @MVS Yeah, no, you can only have a single orb of each element per battle. That means there's a total of 8 possible orbs to rack up and demolish in a chain attack, and if you manage to do that and get a real good overkill chain attack going, the most damage you can output in one go is pretty massive. lol

Not a screenshot from my own game, but it works to demonstrate such a thing nonetheless. I've managed to do that a few times in my own file, it is quite satisfying. lol

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lord Vain ().

• Lord Vain wrote:

@MVS Yeah, no, you can only have a single orb of each element per battle. That means there's a total of 8 possible orbs to rack up and demolish in a chain attack, and if you manage to do that and get a real good overkill chain attack going, the most damage you can output in one go is pretty massive. lol

Not a screenshot from my own game, but it works to demonstrate such a thing nonetheless. I've managed to do that a few times in my own file, it is quite satisfying. lol

Yeah I know that you can do massive damage if you know your shit. My highest I got during my first playthrough was almost 800 000. During my second playthrough I am much more aware and strategic. I aim to have all elements in my party (and in a fitting set up) so that 8 orbs are practically possible to achieve lol. It is a bit annoying that the light element is so rare. I never got a light blade from Zeke no matter how many common cores I used, and apparently they are very rare in general. But that is not that big of a problem for obvious reasons.

Can you get boosters through salvaging? Are golden cylinders worth it? I tested silver cylinders but was a bit underwhelmed by the results... And then obviously I know it differs depending on where you salvaging, but still. Considering how relatively rare boosters are, and how uncertain it is that they actually helps your cause (in getting a specific element) it almost doesn't seem to be worth it. I was pretty chocked by the way that I got a rare blade by just open a common core, so it really is random and due to luck.

Also, thanks for the confirmation.
    • @MVS No problems. Anyways, yeah, they really didn't give us much to work with when it came to the Light element. Honestly, I think the only actual Blades with that element are Mythra and Kos-Mos. Well, and I think the final form of Poppi has a mod thing to change her element to Light, but I never got it, ultimately just had her be a Dark Blade in my own file.

Gold Cylinders are good, they'll result you with some good stuff more often than not, and the more elusive Premium Cylinders are the best, the method at which they are obtained is still vague from what information I've found though. Well, if they do only appear in shops after specific requirements are met, guess it could even just be RNG based and every so often a day or string of days is selected for them to be available for purchase. And in a sense you do get the Boosters through Salvaging, but only in the way that you're likely aware of, which is by trading in your salvaged treasures for money and Boosters. But yes, the whole thing with Blades is that Boosters can help you get a desired Element, but they don't 100% guarantee it.

You can use Boosters in an attempt to get a Fire Blade and still end up with a Wind one instead, for example. With the Rare Blades, the more you get, the harder obtaining them becomes too, it's severely imbalanced and the massive pool of regular Blades just ultimately drowns out the one that's made up of the Rare ones. Honestly, if they made it possible to just outright buy Boosters, that would make it all at least somewhat less cumbersome, but as things are currently, you have to:
      1. Salvage.
      2. Trade in stuff for Boosters.
      3. Begin using the Core Crystals and hope that the RNG will be nice as you go through large amounts of them in an attempt to get the Blades you may want or need.
      4. Rinse and repeating as many times as necessary.
      The whole process is a bigger headache for people who want to get all the Rare Blades though, since yeah, the odds of getting them from even Legendary Core Crystals is significantly small when you only have a few Rares left to get.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Lord Vain ().

• @Lord Vain But you do know about one particular place where you apparently can grind (salvage) rare cores fairly easily? The one in Mor Ardain (don't remember the exact location, but it is easy to look up). My strategy now is to use all common cores I come across in the hope getting some rares without wasting rare cores.

One thing I don't like is that the game prevents you from taking full advantage of the whole battle system, only because the "tutorial man" hasn't explained everything yet. Sure I can really understand that it is for the better for newcomers, since it could be a bit overwhelming and they wanted to make sure beginners plays simple first... but there should have been some alternative in the options to get past that limitation if you really wanted to. It sucks not being able to do chain attacks only because the game assumes that I can't handle it yet lol. I am there soon though, but still.

And I do think there is one more rare blade that is light actually, that you didn't mention. Did not get it myself, but have seen on the internetz.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• @MVS Oh, I know of it, late in the game farming for Legendary Cores just becomes more practical due to their higher odds, but either way getting the last handful of Rare Blades you may need often takes ridiculously long unless you're lucky...like, hundreds of Core Crystals.

Hmmm, and I wonder if the later New Game+ will do what you suggest there, just not redo the tutorial stuff due to the fact that at that point it'll be known that you're playing through the game again. Guess maybe not, since there's still the fact that some players will probably go into New Game+ after not playing for awhile, so the reminder of the gameplay mechanics may not hurt in such instances.

I have all the currently available Rare blades besides one, which is Ice, so currently there really are only the two plus that option to make Poppi that element if you go through the trouble of getting it in that Tiger! Tiger! game. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the new Blades introduced in New Game+ is Light though, given the fact that it is such a scarce element in the game.
    • @Lord Vain I have already beaten it once, this is my second playthrough. But still, I am far from that point... so yeah. I want some great unique blades for Rex until then. Besides, rare cores aren't hard to come by later anyways, and it is boring to just have generic blades aside from the ones you get from the main quest. At least if you ask me.

And you are wrong: He can never use the greatest blade ever; Poppi.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Lord Vain wrote:

@MVS Hey, man, I said Blades...not Artificial Blades. ;)

I get what you're saying though, best I can suggest is to hold onto any Overdrive Protocols you get in the new playthrough, then use them to switch some Rares you may get on another Driver over to Rex.

That is my plan, to save up Overdrive Protocols. I think there are four in total to find in the world. That or three, but I think it is four. Can you confirm? Nia will be my main blade later for Rex, and Tora has Poppi... so it will be Zeke I most likely will use my protocols most on I can imagine. And sure I like Morag, but she isn't as great as Zeke, not as adorable (or powerful) as Poppi, and Rex is basically two characters in one later in the game. Btw, is it possible to use the Overdrive on "blade Nia"? I guess not, but have not think about that until now. But it would be weird so probably not.

Fal wrote:

I’m still trying to get my last rare blade
      Display Spoiler
      Kos-Mos

Unfortunately the odds are hideously low, at normal conditions it’s 0.1%.
      With max luck, max justice points and using a legendary core it becomes 0.7%.

It may take some time.

Theoretically you can get Kos-Mos as your first unique blade (aside from the main quest-blades) right? It is all about luck in this instance and nothing else? And do you use all 25 justice boosters when you are trying to get it? For 25 is the max for the boosters?

I still don't know btw if it helps boosting your own luck-stats for getting unique blades. I have heard both sides on that, which doesn't help. Someone who knows? I am pretty sure it is mentioned in some tutorial in the game, but now I am unsure.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• MVS wrote:

That is my plan, to save up Overdrive Protocols. I think there are four in total to find in the world. That or three, but I think it is four. Can you confirm? Nia will be my main blade later for Rex, and Tora has Poppi... so it will be Zeke I most likely will use my protocols most on I can imagine. And sure I like Morag, but she isn't as great as Zeke, not as adorable (or powerful) as Poppi, and Rex is basically two characters in one later in the game. Btw, is it possible to use the Overdrive on "blade Nia"? I guess not, but have not think about that until now. But it would be weird so probably not.
      The story gives you three out in the world, each party member gives you one for completing their affinity chart, then you can also get three from the purchasable DLC. Outside of that, it's a matter of maxing out and releasing level 4 common Blades, that's the only other way to get some.

As for using an Overdrive in such a way, I never tried, but yeah, I can imagine you'd probably get some kind of text that says it's not possible given her unique status.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Vain ().