Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    • Lol, pretty amazing how your favorites were completely different from mine except for the Torna Boss Battle Theme (which is amazing). But yeah, I like all the songs you linked as well, but not as "outstanding" to me personally. To say the soundtrack in general is "pretty excellent" has to be the year's (and the last year's) understatement. :lol:

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• Khao wrote:

All these spoiler tags are really making me want to finish the story faster just so I can read everything, haha. I'm barely over halfway done, this game's really gonna last me a long time.

I am pretty jealous to be honest. My "problem" is that I can't stop playing when I am really hooked, so even big games seems not to last very long for me (as long as they are very good obviously). The main story could easily have been much longer for me personally... but people would probably have complained about that. I am seriously considering to replay the game fairly soon. The battle-system became pretty addictive when I finally started to get the hang of everything.

The beginning of the game was pretty "meh" for me, and at a point I became a bit worried. But I guess I knew deep inside that it would certainly be much better later on, because it is a traditional Xenoblade game after all. And boy was I right about that. I couldn't help but to be worried since both Odyssey and BotW left me a bit underwhelmed. But I can say one thing, and that is that this game is pretty different from the original, which I see as a good thing in this case. Not that the original was bad by any means, but it is nice to see different/new stuff.

It really feels that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a bit of a Wind Waker of the Xenoblade-series. It has got a lot of hate, but over time people will go back and appreciate it for what it actually is.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• MVS wrote:

Ughh, I really don't want an X-sequel or a western-type game from them. My hype is zero. Monolith Soft should do what they do best: grand epic JRPGs.
      They can still do that for an X sequel.

I also really liked X's style, too. The exploration, the sidequests, and worldbuilding are still unmatched in the series IMO. The main quest wasn't that good, but I like to think of the main story being all about the sidequests and you just simply discovering things in the world. The dialogue options (and just the dialogue in general) were hilarious, too. There's a ton of things I miss from XCX that weren't in XC2, so I'm really hoping for a sequel to it.

Also mechs.
    • @thanks Well I didn't like X one bit, so no I can't agree with you at all on that. I consider Xenoblade Chronicles X more of a western RPG than a "true" classic JRPG with an ambitious linear story-progression. X felt very different and is more similar to modern open world games than the original. At least if you ask me.

@Please Understand I didn't bother with the core crystals and the rare blades. If I got some on the way, fine. As I wrote earlier, when I really get hooked on a main quest in a game, I have a really hard time to do side quests. And since this game had a really good balance... I never felt a need to do them either in order to progress in the main story. But when I do a second run however, I will invest way more time into the side quests and goal to get all rare blades.
    • If I had to pick one upsetting thing about the game, it'd probably be how the Rare Blades were handled overall. People should NOT be limited on build opportunities simply because the stupid gatcha system says "no, fuck you" IMO. I really wish that all the Rare Blades ended up being obtained through quests somehow, like Herald, Praxis/Theory, Kasandra, Vess and a few others were. Not only is it not infuriating that way, but their quests also added depth to their character in one way or another.

The plethora of "trash" Blades that can be summoned even out of Rare and Legendary Core Crystals is obscene, and devalues using them I find, so much so that I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to give up on the remaining Blades I'm missing. I've spent dozens upon dozens of hours with my current team, I almost see no use in scrounging for Legendary Crystals just to get more 1-star trash Blades out of my hard work.

However, the Japanese love the gatcha system for reasons I'll probably never understand, and I'm certain that's why it's in there in the first place.

"Just look above you... If it's something that can be stopped, then just try to stop it."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hylian Spectre ().

• One thing that truly does upset me is how recomposing my team requires me to grind the affinity charts for each of the new blades I'm using to get my new team up to speed. From my understanding, the game constantly provides you with new tools to encourage you to experiment and try out different team compositions, but that's very difficult and aggravating when you're literally forced to grind affinity to bring your new team up to snuff.

That, and the gacha system is definitely a pain. I'm thankful I managed to get solid blades on each of my characters or it certainly would've been quite frustrating. It doesn't help that overdrive protocols are incredibly rare, so if the game gives you blades that are odds with each of your characters then tough luck. There's really nothing you can do.
    • @Hylian Spectre and @Cornelius Fudge and anyone else for that matter. There are some things that I still don't understand quite:

1) Is there some way to acquire those "overdrive protocols" other than these few specific locations? Or are they literally limited in the game and after that you are f***ed? I read (or at least think I read unless I misunderstood) that if you release blades with full affinity or whatever... they could give you one overdrive protocol in return. Is this true? Because it really sucks not knowing which driver who is going to get which blade. I am so used with certain blades to certain drivers at this point that it will feel weird to get different combinations next playthrough.

2) Does it matter which driver who touches a rare crystal? As you know, different drivers have different levels of "bravery", "justice", and so on. Is it a higher possibility for me to get a rare blade of a certain element, with a driver who has higher levels of that element? Let's say that I have all rare blades except one who is of the element "earth". My chances gets lowered if I stubbornly tries to get that particular unique blade with a driver with a low level of that element? This may sound self-evident, but how am I going to know which driver I should use if I don't know what element that last unique blade is of? Unless looking it up that is. This should be true for the generic boring blades, the question is if it also is true for the rare blades?

3) Sometimes the fourth special doesn't activate (I am not talking about Mythra specifically, but as well Pyra and Nia. Is this some kind of debuff? And why is it that I can't activate the "Pythra special" by holding down R and X? The latter especially was often greyed off for me. Why? Is it similar as with the Mythra's fourth special that it can't be any roof?

By the way, the worst part of the game is that minigame. I don't know what they were thinking putting that in. Sure it is fun a couple of times, but grew old fast. And I didn't even bother to do the later stages since I didn't want to lose or get worse results. If you don't get hit and get everything, you get much higher scores, so I did the first level over and over and over and over and over again. It was not fun at all. It sucks since Poppy is one of the greatest characters in the game. Can you get higher amount of ether crystals by doing the later stages, or what is the point with them other than "variety"?

The post was edited 3 times, last by MVS ().

• 'Bout X

As it is, X is easily my least favorite Xenoblade so far. It had the most fun exploration and it really managed to live by the "surviving on an alien, unexplored planet" theme, which could be felt in every single element of the game and its world. Had a lot of fun with Skells too, even if some of the systems surrounding them were kinda stupid.

But that's it really. The main story was "blah blah blah literally nothing of relevance is happening other than Tatsu being a potato" and it only became mildly interesting at the very ending. And honestly, even though side content was supposedly the focus, it just wasn't that great on average. Outside of planting probes and doing affinity missions there really weren't a lot of things that were ultimately worth doing.

Still, I do want a sequel. It really felt like the game just ended when they actually started taking the story seriously. Also I want to pilot a mech again. Mostly that actually.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Khao ().

• Khao wrote:

'Bout X

As it is, X is easily my least favorite Xenoblade so far. It had the most fun exploration and it really managed to live by the "surviving on an alien, unexplored planet" theme, which could be felt in every single element of the game and its world. Had a lot of fun with Skells too, even if some of the systems surrounding them were kinda stupid.

But that's it really. The main story was "blah blah blah literally nothing of relevance is happening other than Tatsu being a potato" and it only became mildly interesting at the very ending. And honestly, even though side content was supposedly the focus, it just wasn't that great on average. Outside of planting probes and doing affinity missions there really weren't a lot of things that were ultimately worth doing.

Still, I do want a sequel. It really felt like the game just ended when they actually started taking the story seriously. Also I want to pilot a mech again. Mostly that actually.
      Agreed, its pacing was all over the place. They went for a military setup where you were supposed to do essentially chores that contribute to an overall effort, but guess what, chores are fucking boring. And the main story only picked up at the very last chapter or two. Mechs were alright but very poorly implemented from a game design standpoint. Invalidating all your progress thus far on your main character is mind boggling. I mean, I would understand if there was a lot of content that was only doable on foot, but only like 1% happened in interiors, 99% was outside and as such you could use mechs.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

Post by Cornelius Fudge ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • MVS wrote:

@Hylian Spectre and @Cornelius Fudge and anyone else for that matter. There are some things that I still don't understand quite:
      1) Is there some way to acquire those "overdrive protocols" other than these few specific locations? Or are they literally limited in the game and after that you are f***ed? I read (or at least think I read unless I misunderstood) that if you release blades with full affinity or whatever... they could give you one overdrive protocol in return. Is this true? Because it really sucks not knowing which driver who is going to get which blade. I am so used with certain blades to certain drivers at this point that it will feel weird to get different combinations next playthrough.

Overdrive protocols can be obtained through maxing out the affinity on a blade that is 4 crown tier and releasing them. Mercenary quests expedite the process, but that still takes far too much time and it's even worse when you don't have access to legendary core crystals until the very end of the game where using them will possibly give you a 4 crown tier blade. At least from my experience, a rare or common crystal haven't yielded a 4 crown tier blade.

2) Does it matter which driver who touches a rare crystal? As you know, different drivers have different levels of "bravery", "justice", and so on. Is it a higher possibility for me to get a rare blade of a certain element, with a driver who has higher levels of that element? Let's say that I have all rare blades except one who is of the element "earth". My chances gets lowered if I stubbornly tries to get that particular unique blade with a driver with a low level of that element? This may sound self-evident, but how am I going to know which driver I should use if I don't know what element that last unique blade is of? Unless looking it up that is. This should be true for the generic boring blades, the question is if it also is true for the rare blades?

I believe how these idea levels are distributed are contingent upon filling out the affinity "rows" for specific blades. Going through one row will give you a specific idea leveled up depending on the blade.

As for your question, yeah, I believe that's the case. Only way to get that up to snuff is through compassionate boosters (electric/earth) or fulfilling tasks on the affinity chart on rows that will level up that specific attribute. Other than that, you gotta keep grinding.

3) Sometimes the fourth special doesn't activate (I am not talking about Mythra specifically, but as well Pyra and Nia. Is this some kind of debuff? And why is it that I can't activate the "Pythra special" by holding down R and X? The latter especially was often greyed off for me. Why? Is it similar as with the Mythra's fourth special that it can't be any roof?

Level four specials can only be activated when you have max affinity with your blade and enemies do have the chance to reduce your affinity as well, so that's likely what happened right when you had access to your level four special.

Pneuma only be used if you have a max party guage as well as max affinity with Mythra/Pyra and it can only be used once per battle.

By the way, the worst part of the game is that minigame. I don't know what they were thinking putting that in. Sure it is fun a couple of times, but grew old fast. And I didn't even bother to do the later stages since I didn't want to lose or get worse results. If you don't get hit and get everything, you get much higher scores, so I did the first level over and over and over and over and over again. It was not fun at all. It sucks since Poppy is one of the greatest characters in the game. Can you get higher amount of ether crystals by doing the later stages, or what is the point with them other than "variety"?

Ah, Tiger-Tiger. I started enjoying it more and more once I managed to get 2-3k ether per round, but it was definitely a poor design choice to lock a main character's upgrades behind a polarizing minigame. Granted, considering the Xenoblade 2 development team was gimped and pressed for time (due to much of their development team working on Zelda), it's actually very impressive they pulled off what they did.
    • Okay that was weird. Just when I thought I actually understood the battle system the game pretty much stabbed me in the back and murdered my entire family.

The whole game I've been breaking the element orb thingies during chain attacks by using an opposing element, which cracks the orb, and then the same element as the orb which breaks the thing if it's already cracked. So to break a fire orb I'd use water with Nia, then fire with Tora, and the thing would be gone. Tons of damage. Extra round. Easy.

Welp, I was just fighting this unique monster. The battle was ridiculously long, and I was having trouble getting a full party gauge due to the guy killing my party somewhat frequently. He also had a lot of health, so I wasn't gonna be done with it quickly. So I keep going for a while, and managed to get 5 elemental orbs before I actually filled my party gauge for a chain attack, and the guy was at like, 25% HP left. 5 orbs to break. This was gonna be good.

So I did what I always did. Started out cracking some random orb with Rex, then I use water with Nia to crack the fire one, and finally used fire with Tora, expecting to break the fire orb. Like I always do. Like it always work. Like it's never failed me before.

Tora attacked a different orb.

Nothing happened.

No orbs were broken.

I dealt almost no damage in the chain attack.

No extra rounds.

Back to the fight.

Tora almost immediately died.

Can't revive him due to no party gauge.

With no tank Nia exploded.

Can't revive her due to no party gauge.

With no healer Rex exploded.

Can't revive him because duh.

Game over.

Everyone's dead.

I learned nothing.

Why Xenoblade.

Why.

(Seriously though, what did I do wrong? How do I know which orbs are prioritized during a chain attack? Was my breaking method of opposite element>same element just terribly wrong? Was there an extra factor I just never noticed?)
    • Khao wrote:

Okay that was weird. Just when I thought I actually understood the battle system the game pretty much stabbed me in the back and murdered my entire family.

The whole game I've been breaking the element orb thingies during chain attacks by using an opposing element, which cracks the orb, and then the same element as the orb which breaks the thing if it's already cracked. So to break a fire orb I'd use water with Nia, then fire with Tora, and the thing would be gone. Tons of damage. Extra round. Easy.

Welp, I was just fighting this unique monster. The battle was ridiculously long, and I was having trouble getting a full party gauge due to the guy killing my party somewhat frequently. He also had a lot of health, so I wasn't gonna be done with it quickly. So I keep going for a while, and managed to get 5 elemental orbs before I actually filled my party gauge for a chain attack, and the guy was at like, 25% HP left. 5 orbs to break. This was gonna be good.

So I did what I always did. Started out cracking some random orb with Rex, then I use water with Nia to crack the fire one, and finally used fire with Tora, expecting to break the fire orb. Like I always do. Like it always work. Like it's never failed me before.

Tora attacked a different orb.

Nothing happened.

No orbs were broken.

I dealt almost no damage in the chain attack.

No extra rounds.

Back to the fight.

Tora almost immediately died.

Can't revive him due to no party gauge.

With no tank Nia exploded.

Can't revive her due to no party gauge.

With no healer Rex exploded.

Can't revive him because duh.

Game over.

Everyone's dead.

I learned nothing.

Why Xenoblade.

Why.

(Seriously though, what did I do wrong? How do I know which orbs are prioritized during a chain attack? Was my breaking method of opposite element>same element just terribly wrong? Was there an extra factor I just never noticed?)
      Easy fix friend! If you do not hit the orb with an element of the opposite type, the orb it will hit is random. Therefore you want to hit the Blue with as much red as possible and the red orb with as much blue as possible. Otherwise you will just hit a random orb.
    • Welp, my mind was completely freaking blown, haha. This thing had been working super consistently, which is especially weird considering I rarely use chain attacks with less than 3 orbs on an enemy unless I'm sure I can defeat it with just 2.

I guess avoiding having repeated elements in your party is not a very good idea then? Cause I've been making sure to have as many elements as possible. Which right now, is all of them. I think I only got like, a single repeated element right now across my three active party members.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Khao ().