Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    • I've never played any of the older Xeno games. I probably should though. They just don't interest me as much. I'm not a fan of older RPGs, I just can't get into them.
      "The power of one man doesn't amount to much. But, with whatever little strength I'm capable of... I'll do everything humanly possible to protect the people I love, and in turn they'll protect the
      ones they love. It seems like the least we tiny humans can do for each other."
      -Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    • Reyn Time wrote:

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the anime-esque artstyle. It looks generic. But I've accepted that it's what we're getting and heck if I'm gonna pass up a Xenoblade game cause of the artstyle.

I also agree with you on the story front. I'm not sure any game's story could equal the original Xenoblade's, IMO. I haven't played a ton of story heavy-games though.
      I know that X doesn't have the best story but I like it so far, even though I haven't finished it yet. I just feel like it should be mentioned at the very least.

~ Gabby :mastahsword:
    • I don't know what it is, but I can't get myself excited for Xenoblade. I look at it and recognise it's probably going to be a pretty amazing game, but I was so disappointed with XCX that I think I'm going to take a step back and wallow in the reviews before I throw my debit card this time. I couldn't even bring myself to finish X, probably for a mix of reasons. For one, the UI was cancer on the eyes, I didn't particularly enjoy the hub world of NLA and something about the story telling just didn't get me invested. I didn't like the way Mechs were brought in so late in the game and changed the flow of battle so much either. I also spoiled myself rather badly for X as well, so I'm certain that didn't help.

Only reason I'm still considering it on the radar at all is because I really did enjoy the first Xenoblade, and this one is rumoured to take a lot of examples from it.

"Just look above you... If it's something that can be stopped, then just try to stop it."
    • Hylian Spectre wrote:

I don't know what it is, but I can't get myself excited for Xenoblade. I look at it and recognise it's probably going to be a pretty amazing game, but I was so disappointed with XCX that I think I'm going to take a step back and wallow in the reviews before I throw my debit card this time. I couldn't even bring myself to finish X, probably for a mix of reasons. For one, the UI was cancer on the eyes, I didn't particularly enjoy the hub world of NLA and something about the story telling just didn't get me invested. I didn't like the way Mechs were brought in so late in the game and changed the flow of battle so much either. I also spoiled myself rather badly for X as well, so I'm certain that didn't help.

Only reason I'm still considering it on the radar at all is because I really did enjoy the first Xenoblade, and this one is rumoured to take a lot of examples from it.
      I'm sort-of in the same boat. I did actually like X, but it just wasn't on the same level as the first game, especially in terms of story.

So far, even after the new direct, I haven't really seen anything about XC2 I'm actually hyped about. I don't like the character design. I don't like the voice acting (in either language). I'm kinda skeptical about the combat. The music's guaranteed to be great, but that's pretty much the only thing I'm actually looking forward to, and after how dissapointing X's story was, even the story could go either way. The only reason I'm going to buy this thing is because I have a mostly blind trust in Monolith Soft. After all, I wasn't too excited about even the first Xenoblade before I actually played it.
    • Khao wrote:

Hylian Spectre wrote:

I don't know what it is, but I can't get myself excited for Xenoblade. I look at it and recognise it's probably going to be a pretty amazing game, but I was so disappointed with XCX that I think I'm going to take a step back and wallow in the reviews before I throw my debit card this time. I couldn't even bring myself to finish X, probably for a mix of reasons. For one, the UI was cancer on the eyes, I didn't particularly enjoy the hub world of NLA and something about the story telling just didn't get me invested. I didn't like the way Mechs were brought in so late in the game and changed the flow of battle so much either. I also spoiled myself rather badly for X as well, so I'm certain that didn't help.

I'm sort-of in the same boat. I did actually like X, but it just wasn't on the same level as the first game, especially in terms of story.
      So far, even after the new direct, I haven't really seen anything about XC2 I'm actually hyped about. I don't like the character design. I don't like the voice acting (in either language). I'm kinda skeptical about the combat. The music's guaranteed to be great, but that's pretty much the only thing I'm actually looking forward to, and after how dissapointing X's story was, even the story could go either way. The only reason I'm going to buy this thing is because I have a mostly blind trust in Monolith Soft. After all, I wasn't too excited about even the first Xenoblade before I actually played it.
      Yes, the character design really reminds me of something from Fire Emblem IMO; a series that I have never really caught onto to begin with. Of course, that is completely opinion based, and many people seem to love it - to each their own I suppose.

I'll keep an open mind though, just not open enough to completely spoil myself like last time, lol.

"Just look above you... If it's something that can be stopped, then just try to stop it."
    • The only thing that I am just a little bit worried about is the battle system, which look fairly slow from what I have seen earlier. However, I haven't watched any new footage in a very good while, so perhaps I have missed something or got the wrong impression or what not. Even if it will feel slow, I will get used to it and get over it. If I am fine with turn-based systems (most at least), I will be fine with this. I just liked how you could run around and fight at the same time in the original, which you apparently can't now. Though I can see why they have changed that, for strategic purposes. I trust them to make it great, so I am not too worried.
    • I skipped through the Xeno Direct a bit and just saw a whole load of information..

This game needs me to study it first for some hours and hours before I understand how it works. It just seems way too much which is why I never got into the other Xeno's. There is just too much stuff to do and figure out. For Xeno players not a problem but for me... and I see that nintendo is trying to get new players ready with this direct, but honestly all the info just scares me. I dont have that much time for a game like this I believe.

Nevertheless, this game will be amazing, Im quite sure of that. Just not my cup of tea I guess. :coffee:
      ~ Founder of the 2017 S.S. Spoilerfree Zelda Ship ~
    • Feranel wrote:

I skipped through the Xeno Direct a bit and just saw a whole load of information..

This game needs me to study it first for some hours and hours before I understand how it works. It just seems way too much which is why I never got into the other Xeno's. There is just too much stuff to do and figure out. For Xeno players not a problem but for me... and I see that nintendo is trying to get new players ready with this direct, but honestly all the info just scares me. I dont have that much time for a game like this I believe.

Nevertheless, this game will be amazing, Im quite sure of that. Just not my cup of tea I guess. :coffee:
      Honestly, from experience, the amount of information doesn't really matter.

In the first Xenoblade, I didn't understand half of the combat system when I was well past half of the game. Like, for real, I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't realize you could equip gems to boost your stats. I had no freaking idea what this "tension" thing that some abilities kept mentioning was. I didn't even know you had to use different abilities to counter different types of attacks when you had visions (and I only figured this out shortly before completing the story, lol). Pretty much all I ever did was wait for my cooldowns and use my abilities as soon as possible. Obviously it wasn't the most effective strategy, and I had a bit of trouble a few times (main bosses mostly), but it's manageable, especially if you do sidequests often enough to keep you at a high level.

You probably won't make it to the very end like that, but eventually you just get invested enough so that you want to learn more about the combat.

If you're just worried about time though, then yeah, these games require a lot of it. XCX was a bit shorter (but not short) but at least in the first Xenoblade, even if you ignore side content you're probably looking at 70 hours of gameplay.

But if you're just worried about complexity, don't be. You'll probably (even hopefully?) need all this information to actually reach the end of the story. But you absolutely don't need even half this stuff to just start playing. The stories are long enough so that there's time to learn everything naturally. And in the end it's less like studying and more like "oh wait, so that's what this thing's for?"

The post was edited 2 times, last by Khao ().

• Feranel wrote:

I skipped through the Xeno Direct a bit and just saw a whole load of information..

I had your mindset before, and boy I bought and sold the original since I thought it to be "too much". But it is so rewarding when you actually have some patience, and put time and effort to it. And sure it will take a lot longer to play Xenoblade than most games, but I just see it as a positive... I get more for the money. Sure everybody maybe don't have the patience... but I really think it will pay off in the end. At least this time around when story, characters and music are all back. All these three are the most important points for me in regards to RGP-adventure games... and yes BotW was a huge disappointment in all of these three unfortunately. Yet I still really like BotW.

If I were in your shoes (very skeptical), let the game come out, and watch others play it and then decide after a lot of gameplay videos (always my strategy with games I am unsure about).
    • @MVS

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it. :3nod

I convinced myself to play the first Xeno of the Wii I think 2 years ago or so right before the new Xeno on the Wii u. So I tried that and it was exactly what I was afraid of. I gave up soon after.

And Im afraid I wont have the patience nor the time for this one if its similar.

Though I must say the story and all the characters look very promising. Ill probably end up watching a playthrough on YouTube featuring the main questline Gameplay and its cutscenes. :lol:

@Mirren

:XD:
      ~ Founder of the 2017 S.S. Spoilerfree Zelda Ship ~

The post was edited 2 times, last by Feranel ().

• Mirren wrote:

It's been almost two years and I still don't understand Xenoblade Chronicles X.

It lacked the three important points I mentioned above (music, story & characters) but what annoyed me the most about that game is the hyper-small UI. Thankfully this isn't an issue with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Pretty interesting by the way how both XCX and BotW seemed to suffer from the same things; music, characters and story... but yet two big open world games.

Have we got any info about how big Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is going to be? Use spoilertext if anyone knows. I have heard very vague stuff about it being veeery big, but that isn't worth shit since I know too well how much BS that floats around... and even persist despite that the game in question is out (*cough* BotW *cough*).

If I were to guess... it will probably be bigger than the original (which was huuge), but smaller than XCX on the Wii U.
    • Haha, I completely agree, the UI of XCX was ridiculously small. And of course its story was nothing short of lame, at best. The characters also lacked... character. I couldn't bring myself to care about any of them. Especially the optional members were underdeveloped as fuck, might as well have recruited randomly generated NPC.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
    • MVS wrote:

Mirren wrote:

It's been almost two years and I still don't understand Xenoblade Chronicles X.
      It lacked the three important points I mentioned above (music, story & characters) but what annoyed me the most about that game is the hyper-small UI. Thankfully this isn't an issue with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Pretty interesting by the way how both XCX and BotW seemed to suffer from the same things; music, characters and story... but yet two big open world games.

Have we got any info about how big Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is going to be? Use spoilertext if anyone knows. I have heard very vague stuff about it being veeery big, but that isn't worth shit since I know too well how much BS that floats around... and even persist despite that the game in question is out (*cough* BotW *cough*).

If I were to guess... it will probably be bigger than the original (which was huuge), but smaller than XCX on the Wii U.
      Your assessment of the size of the game world is correct according to what has been said in interviews with Takahashi. Slightly smaller overall than XCX.

I'm interested in seeing how they take stuff that was good in XCX, such as the exploration, side quests, and worldbuilding, and how they implement them in XC2. People like to trash on XCX, for valid reasons of course, but I feel as if they don't really appreciate the way game worldbuilded in every aspect like in its quests and overworld and how everything you do in the game ties back into the core themes of the game in some fashion. And man, those quests were something else, at least in comparison to most other JRPGs. The ones with actual stories attached to them, which was quite a lot of them, were actually surprisingly entertaining despite a lot of them being rather formulaic in their design. I'm hoping they apply what they've learned to make XC2 something really special.
    • Daylight wrote:

I never played a Xenoblade game, but it is an RPG so it is Okay to me.

I would like to try it out though
      Me too!!!
      WE ARE TENKAI FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Check out ALL of my other Youtube channels:
      youtube.com/channel/UCKkpgRb74yroa2XelXDHrlg/videos
      ( MAIN CHANNEL),
      youtube.com/channel/UCG3TE-B01GUV4rKzfLF7_aQ
      (2nd Channel),
      and: youtube.com/channel/UCeR1MdUQlBksuXE2OMg0G1w
      (SPECIAL CHANNEL)

!!!I DON'T RECOMMEND THE LAST 2 CHANNELS!!!