Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    • @Reyn Time Oh yeah... you are right. I should have watched the trailer again lol. I just googled it and just found these three characters confirmed (or strongly suggested). That image, is that official btw? If so, it is pretty much confirmed that we will get another male-character... and hopefully a good one. He certainly look interesting.

By the way... probably impossible to know at this point, but it isn't he who says in the trailer "what the matter, are you the aegis or aren't you?". I am just curious what the characters will sound like. Then we also have that black-haired chick in the trailer in a very brief moment which also could be a playable character as well... which I hope since she also look interesting. The blonde girl we saw both in the second trailer and the first... is probably a blade right?

5 playable characters sound reasonable... due to the large amount of blades which at least some of them also will have more personality to them where Pyra is the obvious one.

I really don't know what to think about this. Too early to say I guess.
    • Yes, this image is official. I'm pretty sure its on the website.
      I think the Eyepatch guy looks to young to be the one saying "Are you the aegis or aren't you?" I assumed it was the guy fighting Rex and Pyra at the time when it was who said that. I don't think we've heard Eyepatch's voice yet.
      Also, that silver-haired dude in the mask might be playable. He doesn't seem like an antagonist at least. Maybe just a ally, like Kallian in Xenoblade 1.

About the blonde girl, she's defintely a Blade, since she has a simliar design to Pyra and I think the same symbol on her chest. I've heard theories that she's a self-Driving Blade, since she always appears alone, with no Driver, but can still use her Blade form, ala her giant sword in the E3 trailer.
      "The power of one man doesn't amount to much. But, with whatever little strength I'm capable of... I'll do everything humanly possible to protect the people I love, and in turn they'll protect the
      ones they love. It seems like the least we tiny humans can do for each other."
      -Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    • @Reyn Time By listening at the voices paired with the video from the trailer it really seems like the silver-haired "mask guy" says this; "now that you have come this far... there can be no turning back". Especially since the obvious bad guy and his line right after; "you... and that sword, CAN'T BE!" and "I'm guessing your goal, is elysium" has a completely different voice. And the "what the matter"-voice sound nothing like the two others (plus that the eye-patched guy is partly on screen when that line happens), so I just assumed it was that eye-patched guy. BUT can be another character as well of course. And I don't get the impression at all that he is an ally (the mask guy). He both look and sound (what I think is him) pretty "antagonist-like". I don't think he is the main bad guy though, but still a bad guy nontheless, like Mumkhar from the first game, OR a bad guy that turns good later... or something.

And I really hope there will be self-driving blades. I think she could be just an ally though.

The post was edited 5 times, last by MVS ().

• So Nintendo UK put out an article about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, specifically about the Gamescom gameplay segment. Nothing really new, except that at the end it states that the game will release in Winter 2017.
      So at this point I'm feeling REALLY certain that it will release this year. They reconfirm a 2017 release every time they can.
      I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow.
      "The power of one man doesn't amount to much. But, with whatever little strength I'm capable of... I'll do everything humanly possible to protect the people I love, and in turn they'll protect the
    • @Reyn Time I really don't want to know anything more about it, and I have been successful in not watching the Gamescom-footage, so hopefully I will be successful this time too (even though a trailer is much harder to resist than random gameplay). What makes it easier is that I study at the moment which keeps me somewhat distracted.

What I am most interested in at the moment, is how ambitious and confident Monolith Soft is about this. Xenoblade Chronicles is such a masterpiece... it has a godly soundtrack, fantastic cast of characters, and the story is epic with a nice gimmick which had major impact on the gameplay and the plot. How in the f**king world will the second one be even close to the original?

I think the music will compare to the original, so that is out of the way. Even though it will be hard to replace characters like Dunban, Melia and Reyn... I think it is possible though, but it will be tough. The dynamic between characters is also important. But if anyone is about to make this happen it is Monolith Soft I guess. The story I have no clue about what to even expect. Some vague spoilers about the original: The original had such a big and all-embracing story that even touched upon metaphysical stuff (the creation of the entire world). It will feel pretty "meh" in comparison if the plot in the second one will be about something much smaller in scale.

I DON'T want to know any details about the storyline, eventual new characters being revealed on wednesday or anything specific new. I just want to know Monolith's ambition and confidence in the game, especially when compared to the original. I want to know stuff like "Xenoblade 2 will be roughly double the size of the original in landmass" or "Xenoblade 2 will have a very deep and epic story". Vague shit like that, even if it doesn't guarantee anything... at least it gets me excited and to some tiny degree know what to expect.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Is it just me, or did some of the characters looked like taken out of FE? The women from Uraya looking like an older fatter version of Tiki, and the Mor Ardain prince (?) looking like a kid Marth. Possibilities that someone from IS helped with character design, as how Nomura worked in the designs for the Torna characters?

What is the Forgotten Temple?: The Forgotten Temple
      A relation between Zelda and Taoism? The Legend of Zelda and Taoism

The post was edited 1 time, last by tlozbj ().

• I think overall it looks better, Rex looks way more... Emotional? Like, in the new pic he looks MAD, like he's gonna kill somebody. Reminds me of Shulk when fighting Xord.
      However, his mouth is doing some weird stuff in the new picture.
      Also, now Rex has got a blue thingy on his chest, kinda like Pyra.
    • Reyn Time wrote:

I think overall it looks better, Rex looks way more... Emotional? Like, in the new pic he looks MAD, like he's gonna kill somebody. Reminds me of Shulk when fighting Xord.
      However, his mouth is doing some weird stuff in the new picture.
      Also, now Rex has got a blue thingy on his chest, kinda like Pyra.
      If I remember correctly, it was unveiled in a trailer that those link a Blade and Driver together. (e.g. Rex & Pyra)

~Gabby :mastahsword:
    • Abyss Master wrote:

You guys are making me question my eyesight. You really don't think that looks better??
      I don't really like the character design in this game in the first place, so I might not the best person to judge their fixes, really, haha. The hair looks better at the very least. It's mostly his mouth that looks really awkward in the new one to me. Also his eyebrows overlap his eyelids for some reason and it looks off.

Still, as long as the environments look good, I won't be complaining, and so far, I'm pretty satisfied.
    • How anyone could prefer the older version is way beyond me seriously. The eyes in the older version reminds me of toon-Link with his cat-eyes. The model looks more detailed overall in the new one, plus more expressive which is a big plus in my book. And I have no issue with the mouth, what is wrong with that? Too narrow? Come on. Sure if it was about the eyes or even the hair... but the mouth? It is not a realistic human to begin with. Eyes convey emotions and intentions, the hair can look cool/nice, the mouth...?

Sure I get it if it looks so awkward that the entire character look awkward/odd. But I just don't see it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• What I think look off about his mouth is the shape. In the old pic, his mouth is in a half-circle shape, pretty regular. In the new one its like a heart shape almost, with his upper lip like, hanging down? I just think that doesn't look natural. It doesn't look like his mouth is like, tight and open all the way, the way it should be if he's yelling or screaming.

It's really not a big deal tho
    • Khao wrote:

Abyss Master wrote:

You guys are making me question my eyesight. You really don't think that looks better??
      I don't really like the character design in this game in the first place, so I might not the best person to judge their fixes, really, haha. The hair looks better at the very least. It's mostly his mouth that looks really awkward in the new one to me. Also his eyebrows overlap his eyelids for some reason and it looks off.
      Still, as long as the environments look good, I won't be complaining, and so far, I'm pretty satisfied.
      I agree. I'm still gonna play it though. I am actually working on doing Xenoblade Chronicles X 100% so I can say I beat both games 100% in the same year that Xenoblade 2 came out. Currently about halfway done with X's main story. Spread that Xenoblade love!

~Gabby :mastahsword:
    • Reyn Time wrote:

What I think look off about his mouth is the shape. In the old pic, his mouth is in a half-circle shape, pretty regular. In the new one its like a heart shape almost, with his upper lip like, hanging down? I just think that doesn't look natural. It doesn't look like his mouth is like, tight and open all the way, the way it should be if he's yelling or screaming.

It's really not a big deal tho

Sure I can agree that everything doesn't look 100 % in the way I would have preferred it personally. In fact, if I were to choose we wouldn't have had these animated characters to begin with. I think they should have went with the same visual design as the original on the Wii. I guess I have entered the "acceptance-stage" a fairly long time ago, in regards to how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks. This is just like how it usually is whenever we get a new Zelda announcement with a new artstyle and I have to get used to it.

On the other hand, even if the visual style, whether it is about character-models or the environments, whether it is Zelda or in this case Xenoblade... it doesn't matter that much in the long run, and it doesn't seem to matter so much to you either.

I have a hard time though to imagine that this game's story will even be close to the original in terms of epicness and scale. But to me the characters and the music are more important than the story, so I think I am going to be satisfied with this game nontheless.
    • Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the anime-esque artstyle. It looks generic. But I've accepted that it's what we're getting and heck if I'm gonna pass up a Xenoblade game cause of the artstyle.

I also agree with you on the story front. I'm not sure any game's story could equal the original Xenoblade's, IMO. I haven't played a ton of story heavy-games though.