Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    E3 2017 Nintendo Direct Thread

• Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Nintendo E3 Conference thread! Before we get started, I recommend you take a quick look at the E3 Rules and Guidelines thread.

With E3 just around the corner, it's time to ready up the hype train and get the conference threads going.
      This is going to be the main destination for E3 news and chat regarding Nintendo . Feel free to talk about anything Nintendo in here, as well as comment on the conference as it's happening, the aftermath, etc.

Schedule

m.twitch.tv/nintendo?desktop-redirect=true
    • A 3D Metroid. I don't like 2D-sidescrollers anymore.

Feels like every damn year we hope for a decent 3D-Metroid... like since the very beginning of the Wii U's life people hyped themselves up for a 3D-Metroid-reveal, but everytime nothing. It really didn't helped that Miyamoto said that a Metroid would work good with the Wii U-gamepad (or something along those lines). Now the Wii U is dead. And no I really don't like the idea in using two screens in a Metroid or any title for that matter, so maybe that was for the best.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• I may be happy that Nintendo has shown some ambition with their two biggest franchises/icons, but that isn't enough. In order for Metroid and other franchises to grow and gain popularity, Nintendo has to put in some soul and ambition in them as well. Or else the vicious circle will just continue. If they don't, I think Xenoblade Chronicles soon will be the obvious "third" giant of Nintendo since Monolith Soft always is ambitious and goes all the way with their games. That seems to pay off since it really feels like the franchise gains more and more popularity by each year. Xenoblade Chronicles 2-reveal-trailer on Youtube has almost 2 million views which isn't too shabby.

I don't count Pokemon here, but honestly. Pokemon games are not even close to as ambitious as a typical AAA-title, which is staggering since how popular and huge that franchise is. Seems like it is completely stuck in the unambitious "casual corner" forever where people are happy with the "copy and paste"-method and how the company just shits out new ones every now and then. Metroid and Pokemon are the two franchises now that are in desperate need for a BotW-treatment.

The post was edited 5 times, last by MVS ().

• Apparently the spotlight is only gonna be 25 minutes now, so my expectations couldn't be any lower. :/ That said, I expect lots and lots of Mario Odyssey footage, and maybe if they're smart a Zelda bundled releasing in the summer and Mario bundle releasing in the fall.

As for my bet, I'd say a Zelda bundle is the most likely (Metroid probably wont be coming back anytime soon) so I vote for that.
    • Mango The Magician wrote:

Apparently the spotlight is only gonna be 25 minutes now, so my expectations couldn't be any lower. :/ That said, I expect lots and lots of Mario Odyssey footage, and maybe if they're smart a Zelda bundled releasing in the summer and Mario bundle releasing in the fall.

As for my bet, I'd say a Zelda bundle is the most likely (Metroid probably wont be coming back anytime soon) so I vote for that.
      Wasn't it 30 minutes? Not that it is a super-difference, but still. That short time can mean two things: it will be the best thing ever where there is zero BS/fluff and just a tight presentation with a lot of announcements/showings, OR it will be the worst piece of shit ever haha. Or... most likely something in between.

Hopefully they aren't going to give Odyssey too much screen-time during the presentation... perhaps just give us a new trailer for about 2 minutes, and then some developer-talk for maybe 3 minutes more? The vast majority of Odyssey and other already announced titles should be at the Tree House. So I am still a bit hopeful. Monster Hunter, Arms and Pokemon are pretty much out of the way since they already have shown all of these before their main presentation from what I know. And if some of them shows up it will be very very briefly.

Nintendo must have kept some games secret from the main Switch presentation from january since they know E3 exists and that Switch needs to keep momentum. I refuse to believe they showed us all the meat there and then. They have to have some new and interesting stuff to show us aside from everything we already know. But a new interesting 3D-Metroid would be to good to be true.
    • MVS wrote:

Mango The Magician wrote:

Apparently the spotlight is only gonna be 25 minutes now, so my expectations couldn't be any lower. :/ That said, I expect lots and lots of Mario Odyssey footage, and maybe if they're smart a Zelda bundled releasing in the summer and Mario bundle releasing in the fall.

Wasn't it 30 minutes? Not that it is a super-difference, but still. That short time can mean two things: it will be the best thing ever where there is zero BS/fluff and just a tight presentation with a lot of announcements/showings, OR it will be the worst piece of shit ever haha. Or... most likely something in between.
      Hopefully they aren't going to give Odyssey too much screen-time during the presentation... perhaps just give us a new trailer for about 2 minutes, and then some developer-talk for maybe 3 minutes more? The vast majority of Odyssey and other already announced titles should be at the Tree House. So I am still a bit hopeful. Monster Hunter, Arms and Pokemon are pretty much out of the way since they already have shown all of these before their main presentation from what I know. And if some of them shows up it will be very very briefly.

Nintendo must have kept some games secret from the main Switch presentation from january since they know E3 exists and that Switch needs to keep momentum. I refuse to believe they showed us all the meat there and then. They have to have some new and interesting stuff to show us aside from everything we already know. But a new interesting 3D-Metroid would be to good to be true.
      gonintendo.com/stories/282109-…-will-be-roughly-25-minut

It's apparently only "roughly" 25 mins, which does not bode well for any hype I had for E3. I expect that Mario will likely be pushed hard like I said as they probably are hoping for a repeat of the Zelda hype, and alongside Mario will probably see the godawful Mario X Rabbids thing, hopefully a trailer that makes the Zelda DLC look promising, and I'd be fooling myself if I said that I think Nintendo isn't gonna waste some of that time on Arms and Splatoon 2.

Also...I really don't think we're getting a 3D Metroid any time soon. I could see maybe a 2.5D Metroid on the 3DS similar to Hey Pikmin, but I don't see Metroid making a major console return at all in the near and distant future.
    • ich Will wrote:

Judging from early photos there'll be a lot of focus on Mario Odyssey.

Hopefully not in the main presentation though. I can't see them talk about that too much. We already have a huge epic trailer that almost was 3 minutes long and has at the moment over 22 million views on Youtube. The surprise factor is gone and now we only wants to know more. And Tree House is perfect for just that, plus a new 2 minutes trailer and few minutes developer talk.

I really want to know more about the game. I want it to be as ambitious as BotW, or at least half as ambitious as that game. BUT we don't actually know how ambitious it really is... we just assume it is. Would be devastating if these four levels are the only ones which some people are speculating. Man that would be so f***ing bad. Please Nintendo confirm that it will be more levels to explore. We pretty much know that "New Donk City" is a fairly small level, which can be seen in the trailer.