Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread
    • Y'all ready for some hot spicy Golden Globes Takes??

The Show
      • Considering that Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg had maybe four weeks to prep, they did a pretty good job of hosting. Not as memorable as Ricky Gervais or funny as Tina and Amy, but they did a good job with what they had.
      • Perhaps the worst directed Golden Globes I can remember? So many cutaway shots left hanging with empty seats or subjects obscured, or having to cut to a co-star/actor when a winner was talking about a director or spouse who was in the audience.
      • Jeff Bridges' Cecil B. DeMille speech was the most Jeff Bridges speech ever. Just a Grandpa Simpson-esque ramble with more "mans" thrown in. To have Harrison Ford shuffle out to present after his speech was an amazing bit of unintentional comedy.
      • At one point they cut to Dick Van Dyke in the audience and I thought he had died sitting at the table.
      The Winners
      • Into the Spider-Verse beating out Pixar, Disney and Wes Anderson is sweet sweet music.
      • Mahershala Ali is just the coolest. Peep everyone in the audience literally leaning forward while he was giving his pretty run-of-the-mill acceptance speech, the dude is a magnet.
      • Christian Bale doesn't remember what he's supposed to sound like so he puts on a fake British accent. Dick Van Dyke must be livid cause his fake British accent doesn't even sound that different.
      • Ugh I gotta watch Roma.
      • I watched The Favourite this weekend and it's really really great.
      • Amy Adams can't catch a fucking break.
      • Even though I've seen Rachel Brosnahan in a lot of other things, I always expect her to sound like Midge Maisel now.
      • The Kominsky Method - maybe you're parents are right and it's good? (but surely not better than The Good Place. Or Mrs. Maisel. Or Barry.)
      • Bohemian Rhapsody winning the actor and best drama and Green Book winning best musical/comedy is absolutely buck wild but at the same time so expected of the Golden Globes. Worth it if only because this is probably the first time a movie has won Best Picture and nobody dared mention the director's name. Fuck Bryan Singer.
    • Thinking about watching Aquaman or Vice this morning.

I really liked the Big Short and excited to see Steve Carell back in a somewhat serious role, but I also want to give Jason Momoa a chance to see if he's the caliber actor to make a franchise good.

Edit: Or go act overly enthusiastic at a Dog's Way Home and ascend to meme status. I mean, a dog teaming up with a mountain lion. This is what Homeward Bound should have did instead of launching it off the cliff.

-Went with Aquaman. If anything, it's a visually beautiful movie. Atlantis and the sea reminded me of when Avatar first came out in 3D. Just a visual orgasm of cgi.

There's maybe a few too many one liners, but overall, I enjoyed the story and action. Momoa's personality made the character enjoyable for me and Amber Heard was pretty charming as well.
      "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19

The post was edited 3 times, last by Rambo ().

• Oscar Nominations are out!

Display Spoiler

Best Picture
      BlacKkKlansman
      Black Panther
      Bohemian Rhapsody
      The Favourite
      Green Book
      Roma
      A Star Is Born
      Vice

Best Director
      Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
      Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
      Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
      Adam McKay (Vice)
      Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)

Best Actress
      Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
      Glenn Close (The Wife)
      Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
      Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
      Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

Best Actor
      Christian Bale (Vice)
      Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
      Willem Dafoe (At Eternity’s Gate)
      Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
      Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
      Amy Adams (Vice)
      Marina de Tavira (Roma)
      Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
      Emma Stone (The Favourite)
      Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
      Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
      Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
      Sam Elliott (A Star Is Born)
      Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
      Sam Rockwell (Vice)

Best Original Screenplay
      The Favourite (Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara)
      First Reformed (Paul Schrader)
      Green Book (Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga)
      Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
      Vice (Adam McKay)

Best Adapted Screenplay
      A Star Is Born (Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters and Eric Roth)
      The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Joel Coen and Ethan Coen)
      BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee, David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel and Kevin Willmott)
      If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins)
      Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty)

Best Animated Feature
      Incredibles 2
      Isle of Dogs
      Mirai
      Ralph Breaks the Internet
      Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best Foreign-Language Film
      Capernaum (Lebanon)
      Cold War (Poland)
      Never Look Away (Germany)
      Roma (Mexico)
      Shoplifters (Japan)

Best Cinematography
      The Favourite (Robbie Ryan)
      Never Look Away (Caleb Deschanel)
      Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
      A Star Is Born (Matty Libatique)
      Cold War (Lukasz Zal)

Best Film Editing
      BlacKkKlansman (Barry Alexander Brown)
      Bohemian Rhapsody (John Ottman)
      The Favourite (Yorgos Mavropsaridis)
      Green Book (Patrick J. Don Vito)
      Vice (Hank Corwin)

Best Production Design
      Black Panther (Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart)
      The Favourite (Fiona Crombie and Alice Felton)
      First Man (Nathan Crowley and Kathy Lucas)
      Mary Poppins Returns (John Myhre and Gordon Sim)
      Roma (Eugenio Caballero and Barbara Enriquez)

Best Costume Design
      The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Mary Zophres)
      Black Panther (Ruth E. Carter)
      The Favourite (Sandy Powell)
      Mary Poppins Returns (Sandy Powell)
      Mary Queen of Scots (Alexandra Byrne)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
      Border
      Mary Queen of Scots
      Vice

Best Visual Effects
      Avengers: Infinity War
      Christopher Robin
      First Man
      Ready Player One
      Solo: A Star Wars Story

Best Sound Editing
      Black Panther
      Bohemian Rhapsody
      First Man
      A Quiet Place
      Roma

Best Sound Mixing
      Black Panther
      Bohemian Rhapsody
      First Man
      Roma
      A Star Is Born

Best Original Score
      Black Panther (Ludwig Goransson)
      BlacKkKlansman (Terence Blanchard)
      If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell)
      Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
      Mary Poppins Returns (Marc Shaiman)

Best Original Song
      “All the Stars” (Black Panther)
      “I’ll Fight” (RBG)
      “The Place Where Lost Things Go” (Mary Poppins Returns)
      “Shallow” (A Star Is Born)
      “When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)

Best Documentary Feature
      Free Solo
      Hale County This Morning, This Evening
      Minding the Gap
      Of Fathers and Sons
      RBG

Best Documentary Short Subject
      Black Sheep
      End Game
      Lifeboat
      A Night at the Garden
      Period. End of Sentence

Best Animated Short
      Animal Behaviour
      Bao
      Late Afternoon
      One Small Step
      Weekends

Best Live-Action Short
      Detainment
      Fauve
      Marguerite
      Mother
      Skin

Takes and Takeaways:
      • No female directors again, huh?
      • But surprisingly LGBTQ+ inclusive in nominees and subjects, so there's that.
      • This is about as predictable as last year in terms of Best Picture nominees. I guess there's some news with Black Panther being the first superhero movie to get a nomination. Won't win, but hey.
      • No Sorry to Bother You, Eight Grade or Blindspotting in the screenplay categories feels like a snub.
      • Shocked Won't You Be My Neighbor? wasn't even nominated for documentary when I was pretty sure it was gonna win.
      • What is Cold War? I guess I need to find and see Cold War.
      • Bradley Cooper not getting nominated for directing A Star is Born isn't a snub.
      • I got a bunch of movies to watch before Feb 24th. Some I'm actually excited for! Some not so much.
    • Solo getting nominated for best VFX is absurd. That movie's visuals were more dreary than a Zack Snyder flick.

The Infinity War nod also seems like pandering. There wasn't too much in that film that was really groundbreaking for blockbuster visuals. It was all good, yes, but remarkable? Hardly.

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free
    • Mirren wrote:

Solo getting nominated for best VFX is absurd. That movie's visuals were more dreary than a Zack Snyder flick.
      It was all a bit grey and dark. But the practical and special effects were excellent, and I think that's what the 'visual effects' nomination mainly looks at. Not colour grading and whatnot.

@Galedeep any female directors you think should've been on it?

It's a shame First Man didn't get any of the 'big' nominations, nor the soundtrack nod (it was super good, wth). And Black Panther is good but certainly not Best Picture worthy. Also surprised to see Bohemian Rhapsody up there.
    • My point (not well articulated I'll admit, I tend to write these bullet takes in relative shorthand) was more that there's an overall lack of female directors being enabled to work on films that receive nominations, not necessarily that there were any specifically overlooked. There's not much of a point criticizing the Academy for being a beast created by the imbalances of the film industry. The complaint lies with the industry itself.

But, for specific instances of female directors that maybe could have had a chance at being nominated? Based on the buzz they received over the course of the year, Lynne Ramsay for You Were Never Really Here or Marielle Heller for Can You Ever Forgive Me?, I suppose, though I still need to watch those. But I've only seen 3/5 films nominated and two of those definitely deserve to be nominated as well.