Patreon
    Pinned
    Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread
    • Watched three horror movis with my friends over the weekened

The Ritual
      Please await further instructions
      The void

In terms of being scary, I didnt find any of them

as far as the movies themselves well, I enjoyed The Ritual and the Void(actually really cool practical effects) but Please Awat further instructions was so bad and we only watched it on a whim because it sounded appealing to my friend (wanted something that wasnt a slasher flick or supernaatural horror).

Also started and have been watching Community(on season 2) and it is AMAZING
    • Between the R-rating and the absolutely horrendous reviews it's getting, there's a very good chance that Hellboy doesn't even nab the #1 spot at the box office this weekend. I won't be surprised in the least if Shazam! repeats.

It stinks, because I love the Hellboy property, and we need more variety in our box office successes. The blockbuster industry is better off if it's more than just Star Wars and Marvel/DC superheroes that are guaranteed hits. The list of healthy cinematic franchises beyond those is pretty slim. You've got Godzilla and the MonsterVerse, Bond, and what else?

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free
    • I went to see Dream Theater a couple weeks ago. It was the 20 anniversary of Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory. They played the entire album start to finish.

I went into it having basically never heard any Dream Theater before. Octavarium and Pull Me Under were the only songs I knew.

I figured since this was a concept album, I was just going to go in blind and hear the whole thing for the first time live.

It was actually pretty cool. They had a movie play on the screen behind for the whole thing, so you kinda got a picture of what was happening for that scene.

I’ve since listened to the album a couple times, and fuck it’s good. Haha. Still not sure the rest of their stuff is for me. But I really like how varied the album is, and how none of the songs feel rushed. They let every part have some breathing room.
    • Westworld. Spoilery up to S1.E3 along with theory in a second spoiler.

Display Spoiler
      It's an intriguing show, but I feel like I know where it's headed due to how much attention is spent in the park and outside, while both scenes pay attention to little details. So whIle intriguing, this also annoys me because I'm more interested in the park storylines which may not turn into the Skynet story I want to see. I'm absolutely bored with the stories outside the park and within the actual company.

Theory
      Display Spoiler
      It's pretty obvious that employees will start to be revealed as hosts. There's too much foreshadowing in the conversations between employees. The customer aspect may get interesting as it is curious that hosts get shot up while the customer remains fine. I want to know how.

This also can tie into why we never see park hosts being transferred into the corporate facility. Then there's Dolores deja vu of real time events. Maybe everything is virtual?

This does make the Ed Harris character even more interesting though since I want to know his motive. Then, this leads to what does Anthony Hopkins want? With his own experience in the park, there's something more than just corporate gain

It's a decent show though. I feel like I'll enjoy it more if I'm drunk.

I have faith the payoffs will be done right, mostly because of the cast.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rambo ().

• Westworld S1 finale. Heavy spoiler.

Display Spoiler

Yay, Skynet!

The process was pretty slow in getting there, especially with the repetitive deja vu scenes, but it was bearable for the payoffs.

The Man In Black's story is depressing, but awesome nonetheless. Ed Harris makes an awesome villain (I'm almost sad this isn't a true Western) and really sells his development over the past years of his life. His quest to get to the center of the maze is almost poetic. In a way, he wants what Arnold and Ford wanted, but experience has made him want it in a twisted way.

Then, as Harris searches for the center, which turns out to actually just be a symbolic meaning, Ford gives him exactly what he wants. Love it! That smile from Harris as the town is about to be attacked...this is why HBO always has solid shows.

Now that the hosts have their own personalities from breaking the loop (or have they? As referenced by Bernard's-Maeve's interaction and even Ford's), I'm looking forward to the development of these characters. It'll be fun seeing a Skynet story where the robots have character.

Pretty good show, but I'd recommend a breather between a couple episodes just because of the pacing. It's truly bringing out the best in these actors/actresses.

On to season 2

Edit:

Season 2's pacing is pretty slow. I don't mind slow, but there's not a bunch of brilliant dialogue or anything. It's mostly slow dramatic walks and positioning on stage.

Up to s2.e5. I played a couple episodes while working so my retention hasn't been the best.

Display Spoiler

However, it's still good. The Man in Black l, Bernard/Mely and Maeve story lines are entertaining while Dolores' plot is moving damn slow.

Now, I may be asking the wrong question, but I'm curious if the hosts are truly free due to the interaction the Man in Black is having and Maeve seemingly following a set of code. One could argue humans follow a code in their organic being as well, so what's the difference.

Regardless of how this season is, the main enjoyment is the places this show takes your mind. For instance, AI is created and at what point do we respect it as life versus a tool?

S1 seems better so far, but it's still enjoyable. By no means has the show degraded to Walking Dead slow.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rambo ().

• I've been rereading Homestuck since the epilogues came out last month and its been a very strange experience. While it was ongoing, I reread it before, but since it concluded (sort of) in 2016 I haven't gone back through it. It's weird finally hitting the latter third of the work and having it be the content I vividly remember reading when it was a new update and experiencing that with the whole fandom. And also realizing most of that happened 5 or 6 years ago.

Homestuck really is the definition of nostalgia to me. The comic has always been there to read, but its an entirely different experience rereading it by yourself than it was reading it as it happened with the community. You can't go back to that even when you have what's theoretically the same piece of media in front of you. And that's certainly not wholly unique to Homestuck, but the way in which it was built as a community and author back and forth of influence and with how metatextual it gets, it just kind of amplifies the feeling of never being able to experience it the same way again.

All in all it's still very good and rereading it has made me retroactively enjoy the epilogues even more.
    • So the upcoming Picard-centered Star Trek series is called... Star Trek: Picard. I get what they were going for (they were going for "It has Picard in it! For the love of God, watch it!"), but it still feels pretty lazy.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().