Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Discussion
The War Room III: Happy May Day!
  • @Octorocker Compared to me, you're one of them.

usatoday.com/story/news/nation…kids-unhealthy/310410001/

Assuming this is accurate and racism in schools is truly damaging our children's health, would this not be cause for re-segregation? We COULD just launch a program to end racism in schools, but I have a feeling things will go in the opposite direction.
    "If you know any true sons and daughters of Skyrim, tell them to go to Windhelm. Jarl Ulfric wants to see them."

- Stormcloak soldier
  • @Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak story of my life; not right enough for conservatives and not left enough for progressives.

As to the article, I doubt the premise. The first paragraph gives away the real problem when it says classroom racism "negatively affects wealthy white kids and poor minorities the most."

Call me crazy, but there might be some economic/social inequity aggravating the race problem far more than any classroom setting.

However, U.S. Justice Thomas is fond of the idea that black children do better in all black schools.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Octorocker ().

• Octorocker wrote:

@Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak story of my life; not right enough for conservatives and not left enough for progressives.

As to the article, I doubt the premise. The first paragraph gives away the real problem when it says classroom racism "negatively affects wealthy white kids and poor minorities the most."

Call me crazy, but there might be some economic/social inequity aggravating the race problem far more than any classroom setting.

However, U.S. Justice Thomas is fond of the idea that black children do better in all black schools.
    So what would you suggest?
    "If you know any true sons and daughters of Skyrim, tell them to go to Windhelm. Jarl Ulfric wants to see them."

- Stormcloak soldier
  • Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak wrote:

@Octorocker Compared to me, you're one of them.

Assuming this is accurate and racism in schools is truly damaging our children's health, would this not be cause for re-segregation? We COULD just launch a program to end racism in schools, but I have a feeling things will go in the opposite direction.
    We only desegregated to begin with because segregation was also damaging. Quite honestly, unless you propose to do a Harry Potter and completely segregate society at all levels, kids are going to have to deal other minorities, and thus with racism, at some point in their lives.
  • Jedi Master Sagan wrote:

Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak wrote:

We only desegregated to begin with because segregation was also damaging. Quite honestly, unless you propose to do a Harry Potter and completely segregate society at all levels, kids are going to have to deal other minorities, and thus with racism, at some point in their lives.
    I've thought about how that could be done. Countries have done it before.

- Stormcloak soldier
  • @Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak since the problem has the greatest impact on wealthy white kids and poor minorities, if one is interested in solving it they should figure out what's causing that correlation and address that factor.

Middle-class kids of all varieties seem fine by the article's standard (which we're assuming is correct).

It would seem like relative financial equity is easier and more beneficial than creating little sets of homogeneous societies.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Octorocker ().

• But how can we accomplish that? Taking money from the wealthy White families and giving it to the poor Black families sounds like a poor idea, since it only increases racism.

- Stormcloak soldier

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak ().

Post by FroyoDragon ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Actually, NVM. Prolly shouldn't get involved >.> ().
  • Jedi Master Sagan wrote:

Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak wrote:

I'm confused. What does Harry Potter have to do with racism in America? I don't remember Hermione being forced to eat at a "mudblood-only" table or use facilities specifically for her group.

I doubt Rowling was thinking of American racism when she was writing the books.

"I'm the King of the Seas!" - Said every Orca Whale Ever

The post was edited 2 times, last by linkthezora ().

• Display Spoiler

Bill wrote:

First, you're a communist (or at least a leftist), so don't act as if funding is a genuine concern. For you, there will always be money if
    the cause is worthy (e.g. handouts, wealth transfer etc.) When our
    federal debt is already 20 trillion, I can't take hand-wringing about
    the cost very seriously.
    Personally, I never cared about the funding of the wall. I would love my tax dollars to go to it. Mexico was never going to hand the United States a check for the exact cost of the wall, but I will accept a lessening of the trade deficit as a form of payment, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe we'll get some reimbursement through renegotiating NAFTA. But even if the entire wall is paid for by the United States taxpayer, I would consider that a victory.
    Secondly, Trump doesn't have much to work with in Congress on this issue. The Republican majority means little. A huge portion of the Republican Party loves immigration, even illegal immigration, because their corporate backers like it. They don't care about the long term impact to the country or harm to the American worker, only a steady supply of cheap labor.
    The only reason a lot of Republican politicians pretend to care about border security is because they know how popular it is. It is one of the issues that motivate the base, that people really care about. Just look at the upset of Eric Cantor by David Brat a few years back--that was all about immigration. Immigration was the issue that carried Trump through the primary. People are fed up that our politicians have refused to address the issue for decades.
    Trump has done what he can to take bold action on immigration, and signs are good that it is having an effect. Deportations of criminals are up and border crossings are down.
    There will always be money for conservatives to fund their wars and needless illusion of security infrastructure, just continue borrowing money from China rather than actually have a reasonable taxation rate, after all the politicians will all be dead before Reagan's, Bush's and Trump's massive deficits come due.

When Obama took office the yearly deficit was 1.4 trillion per year, when he left it was 587 billion.http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/federal_deficit_chart.html Meaning that he cut the deficit in more than half. It'll be interesting to see how the republicans (who were blubbering about the massive deficit for 8 years) will react to the massive hole in the budget caused by the tax cuts and frivolous spending of the Trump administration. But of course it doesn't count when the right wastes money because the Democrats' defining characteristic is currently weakness. If the democrats were competent they would be talking about the republican's fantasy economics every day, but they're weak and have internalized the mainstream media's right wing framing that the Republicans are fiscally conservative.

Bill wrote:

Consistent with campaign promises. There is nothing inhumane about the treatment of those protesters. Just because you protest doesn't mean you get your way. It's not like little league where you get a participation trophy.
    Turning dogs on peaceful protestors, turning the hose on them in freezing temperature, pepper spraying them, hitting them with concussion grenades, stealing tribal land that was ceded by the US government by a signed treaty and knowingly desecrating burial grounds is humane... well I guess right wingers don't know these people and they weren't holding a bibles or guns, so who cares.

Bill wrote:

Too much legislating is coming from the Executive and Judicial branches these days. The attorney general (and activist judges) shouldn't be crafting policy. They should be implementing and interpreting it. The situation with sanctuary cities demonstrates how rotten and broken certain aspects of our government are. They don't have popular support, local governments refuse to enforce the law, and when the federal government threatens to pull funding unless the law is upheld, a judge steps in and blocks the action. Rotten on numerous levels--rotten to the core. In fact, I can think of at least four levels this is rotten: 1.) the will of the people is ignored. 2.) Laws on the books are ignored. 3.) There seems to be an implication that cities are entitled to federal funding. 4.) Judge stepping in to block a completely reasonable mandate that local governments enforce the law.
    It is the job of judges to determine if laws are constitutional, you would think that conservatives who claim to love the constitution would support that. Also I don't hear a lot of complaining when it comes to the judicial activism of the right wing supreme court. But once again the democrats weakness shows it head. The supreme court gave the right wing a president ffs they have no right to complain about "judicial activism". As for the executive branch's legislating, what do you think of Trump's executive orders given that there is "too much legislating coming from the executive branch these days". It should be congress who is for example, defunding sanctuary cities, not the executive... right?
  • Pietro: At work, may give a more in depth reply later.

I believe the use of executive order has become excessive and that includes Trump. The increasing power of the executive is a concerning long term trend that that really accelerated starting with Bush.

There is legislating from the bench going on. Based on precedent and actual law, there wasn't much ground for blocking Trump's immigration ban. The judges who did that overreached. They clearly ruled based on their on own moral feeling. The problem with judges in particular is that they are unelected and unaccountable.

I will have to look closer at your your numbers regarding the deficit, but my initial impression is that there is some seriously funky/slanted math in the way that data is being presented. It looks like they simply took the deficit of when obama started and compared it to his final period to create the illusion of fiscal responsibility. What about everything that happened in between? The big picture is that the national debt roughly doubled during Obama's term, from 10 to 20 trillion, the largest increase in American history.