Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    • Discussion
    The War Room III: From British Invasion to British Implosion
    • McCain was a scumbag who helped push along the iraq war and decided the attempted healthcare repeal last year was a great way to get some extra attention and look like a hero by delaying his vote until the last minute. he supported almost all of trump's major policy positions but centrist dumbasses loved him because he would kind of grimace sometimes when he voted for the tax bill and for all trump's shitty cabinet nominations. the world is a better place without him.
    • Zoran Hero wrote:

McCain was a scumbag who helped push along the iraq war and decided the attempted healthcare repeal last year was a great way to get some extra attention and look like a hero by delaying his vote until the last minute. he supported almost all of trump's major policy positions but centrist dumbasses loved him because he would kind of grimace sometimes when he voted for the tax bill and for all trump's shitty cabinet nominations. the world is a better place without him.
      Human beings aren't black or white, I'd rather have a Democrat than McCain, but I'd rather have McCain than pretty much every other Republican other than maybe Collins.

He was a war hawk, never met a war he didn't support and supported all the tax cuts.

Also when people were begging him to join the birther nonsense and say that Obama was a Muslim, he told those people to go fuck themselves and as far as I know never joined in on the Muslim-American bashing like most of the others.

He tried for immigration reform (which while it wouldn't have been the best, would be better than what you have now.) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Eight_(immigration)

When republicans were doing their bullshit of holding up the debt ceiling McCain voted to raise it because he recognized it was bullshit unlike most Republicans.

He passed campaign finance reform (McCain-Feingold) that makes up some of the few limits that exist, while it wasn't adequate, it barely passed and was the best they could do. He was also opposed to Citizen's United, which I wish more politicians were. politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/…nce-the-system-is-broken/

Essentially he was a pre-"Republican party going insane" Republican.

Just because someone you wouldn't have voted for died doesn't mean you have to spit on his grave and honestly its become too fashionable to rag on certain people when they're gone. Leave that for monsters.

Finally, John McCain spent 5 and a half years as a prisoner or war and was offered to be let go about a year into his captivity because his father was a high ranking officer, he refused unless all those who were captured before him were let go first. That's true bravery and in the face of daily torture I doubt I would've been that brave, few would be.

He wasn't a guy I wouldn't agree with on much, but no need to meet his death with a smile.
    • Another thing to note is that the governor (Doug Ducey, a Republican) will appoint someone to McCain's seat until 2020, and by state law it has to be someone from the same party of the departing senator. If this is anything to go by, expect the governor to appoint someone much further to the right of McCain.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Viajero de la Galaxia ().

• Pietro wrote:

Zoran Hero wrote:

McCain was a scumbag who helped push along the iraq war and decided the attempted healthcare repeal last year was a great way to get some extra attention and look like a hero by delaying his vote until the last minute. he supported almost all of trump's major policy positions but centrist dumbasses loved him because he would kind of grimace sometimes when he voted for the tax bill and for all trump's shitty cabinet nominations. the world is a better place without him.
      Human beings aren't black or white, I'd rather have a Democrat than McCain, but I'd rather have McCain than pretty much every other Republican other than maybe Collins.
      He was a war hawk, never met a war he didn't support and supported all the tax cuts.

Also when people were begging him to join the birther nonsense and say that Obama was a Muslim, he told those people to go fuck themselves and as far as I know never joined in on the Muslim-American bashing like most of the others.

He tried for immigration reform (which while it wouldn't have been the best, would be better than what you have now.) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Eight_(immigration)

When republicans were doing their bullshit of holding up the debt ceiling McCain voted to raise it because he recognized it was bullshit unlike most Republicans.

He passed campaign finance reform (McCain-Feingold) that makes up some of the few limits that exist, while it wasn't adequate, it barely passed and was the best they could do. He was also opposed to Citizen's United, which I wish more politicians were. politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/…nce-the-system-is-broken/

Essentially he was a pre-"Republican party going insane" Republican.

Just because someone you wouldn't have voted for died doesn't mean you have to spit on his grave and honestly its become too fashionable to rag on certain people when they're gone. Leave that for monsters.

Finally, John McCain spent 5 and a half years as a prisoner or war and was offered to be let go about a year into his captivity because his father was a high ranking officer, he refused unless all those who were captured before him were let go first. That's true bravery and in the face of daily torture I doubt I would've been that brave, few would be.

He wasn't a guy I wouldn't agree with on much, but no need to meet his death with a smile.
      Oh wow I actually didn't know about the part about wanting everyone else who were captured to be released first. I think there's still room for respect for certain people even if they are on opposing sides from you on almost every political topic. Granted, I realize this may be at its most difficult to do in today's political climate (and there's certainly plenty of people who cross over into deserving zero amount of respect, Trump being one of them), but I think there is still a place for restraint and civility for people like McCain who clearly had a certain amount of dignity that is not present in many Trump-era Republicans. Throwing celebrations for every person on the opposing political side that dies on the sole basis that they were on the opposing side isn't something I'm really down for. Save the ire for the people who have actually shown a demonstrable and destructive lack of the core tenets of empathy and humanity.
    • Pietro wrote:

He doesn't have to beat the Conservatives for this to hand the next election to the Liberals, he just needs to peel off even 5 percent and I think he has the potential to reach closer to 10-15%, leaving Conservatives in the mid 20s.

I'm not saying you called it ...

... But you called it.

From an online poll with 1000 Canadians. I'm curious if these numbers will hold up with phone polling but call me cautiously optimistic. We'll see if this is just a honeymoon blip but if this trend continues ... I mean, the Liberals aren't leaving government any time soon.

I don't see how they don't sweep Quebec with those numbers, short of seats which right now goes 40%+ for another party. I'm not familiar enough with the riding map in Quebec to say how many of those seats exist. In Alberta, that probably means an extra seat or two.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

The post was edited 1 time, last by Avalanchemike ().

• Viajero de la Galaxia wrote:

Another thing to note is that the governor (Doug Ducey, a Republican) will appoint someone to McCain's seat until 2020, and by state law it has to be someone from the same party of the departing senator. If this is anything to go by, expect the governor to appoint someone much further to the right of McCain.
      while that is a horrible law, it’s pretty easy to circumvent it. If someone lost their job and they don’t want to end up having a job that pays a lot less, they can either throw the interview or send in a crappy application.
    • I don't know the specifics of Arizona in particular, but in general you run the risk of an employer reporting you to the unemployment office (and yes there are employers out there who do this) if they suspect an applicant is filing bad applications or throwing an interview just to keep taking benefits.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Viajero de la Galaxia ().

Post by Leslie73 ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: misunderstood post I was replying to ().

Post by Viajero de la Galaxia ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Response to deleted post ().
    • Viajero de la Galaxia wrote:

I don't know the specifics of Arizona in particular, but in general you run the risk of an employer reporting you to the unemployment office (and yes there are employers out there who do this) if they suspect an applicant is filing bad applications or throwing an interview just to keep taking benefits.
      I wonder how the unemployment office can prove an applicant is doing that unless it’s obvious or if the applicant confesses to it.
    • Avalanchemike wrote:

Display Spoiler

Pietro wrote:

He doesn't have to beat the Conservatives for this to hand the next election to the Liberals, he just needs to peel off even 5 percent and I think he has the potential to reach closer to 10-15%, leaving Conservatives in the mid 20s.
      I'm not saying you called it ...

... But you called it.
      From an online poll with 1000 Canadians. I'm curious if these numbers will hold up with phone polling but call me cautiously optimistic. We'll see if this is just a honeymoon blip but if this trend continues ... I mean, the Liberals aren't leaving government any time soon.
      I don't see how they don't sweep Quebec with those numbers, short of seats which right now goes 40%+ for another party. I'm not familiar enough with the riding map in Quebec to say how many of those seats exist. In Alberta, that probably means an extra seat or two.

I'm honestly shocked that he got this much support this fast. He doesn't even have a party yet, he just announced he's leaving and 13% of the country followed with significant support in each province. Hopefully its just a blip. As for the Quebec numbers I'm not buying that 9% for the Greens as Quebec typically has among the lowest numbers for the Greens nationwide (likely because of there are 4 relevant parties in Quebec and now maybe 5 with Bernier if this is true which means no room for the Greens), where does that 9% go? No idea. In anycase with this much of a split the Liberals will greatly increase their Quebec seat count. I quickly looked up how much the Liberals lost by in each riding last election. With these results (Liberals 35, NDP 25, Bloc 19, Conservatives 16) New results ( Liberals 41 +6, NDP 11 -14, Conservatives 11 -5, Bloc 13 -6, Bernier 15)

Here would be the new seat totals (assuming Liberals retain all seats and there is a uniform vote swing, which there won't be.)

Con (11 point swing lose all but 7) but with the Bernier party who knows what kind of havoc can happen with vote splits potentially causing upsets in safe seats with Liberals coming up through the middle.
      +30
      + less than 1
      +7
      +15
      +5
      +19
      +29
      +29
      +22
      +36
      +7
      +7

NDP (20 point swing would lose all but 2 seats)
      +15
      +1
      +22
      +1
      +4
      +1
      +8
      +2
      +1
      +1
      +1
      +15
      +29
      +11
      +5
      +12

Bloc (12 point swing all but 1 seat)
      +12
      +15
      +5
      +9
      +7
      +1
      +5
      +5
      +6
      +6

Now I tend to believe that the Bloc will be completely wiped out, the NDP will likely keep Boulerice's seat and maybe Brosseau's lose all the others and the Conservatives/ Bernier end up with less than the 7. So something like

Liberals 72 seats
      Conservatives / Bernier 4 seats
      NDP 2 seats
      Bloc 0

So a virtual sweep if these numbers hold, basically a NDP 2011 like performance for the Liberals except better (because in 2011 the Liberals held onto a bunch of extremely safe West Island seats and the Bloc got 4 seats, leaving the NDP with 59, in this election it would essentially be that 59 + those 11 for 70 or so seats.)