Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Small Breath of the Wild theories
    • gamtos wrote:

      Cajbaj wrote:

      Ok. So you know how Calamity Ganon can apparently just spew out Phantom Ganons?
      No need to stretch the definition of the word "phantom". Blight will suffice.
      I'd say that to call his puppeteering "unholy life" to "dead guardians" would imply the guardians are alive to begin with.

      What could have happened is the Hylians hit the "kill" switch on the Guardians when they were hijacked, but to no avail until Ganon's malice was driven out.

      For that matter, my (stolen) pet theory is currently still that the blights are a similar type of malice possessing the armor of the original champions.
      In Master Works they're referred to as Phantom Ganons. But isn't that the same as what I said? If it was simply changing their code, because they're robots, Ganon wouldn't need to be physically inside of them. But he is physically inside of them, and can be seen when you destroy them. AFAIK not all malice activates the Master Sword, I'm not available to check that but pretty sure the random puddles don't activate it.

      Plus Ganon has demonstrated assimilation of ancient tech and Robbie hasn't been able to figure out how to repair guardians, even perfectly functional ones he took out himself.

      I'm saying there's a fundamental difference between normal, functional Guardians and the ones Ganon is controlling besides that they're just berserk. It's not a big difference, but it's enough that i don't think Ganon-controlled guardians can be repaired, even if Ganon is purged. They'd have to be rebuilt or something.
    • Okay, I'm interested.

      Cajbaj wrote:

      We can see that when Zelda purges nearby Guardians, they completely deactivate. They're dead. Irrepairable. They sit for a hundred years and remain busted, where some guardians that are heavily damaged and shouldn't awaken are still "alive".
      So, there's a discernible difference between Guardians that were "purged" by Zelda and thus remain inactive, and those which were deactivated by other means, and can thus be reactivated by Calamity Ganon as he regains power. The ones at Blatchery Plain near Fort Hateno, which we see Zelda purge, are permanently dead. Most others can and do still target Link and attack.

      There are a few other ones that never reawaken -- the one closest to Zora's Domain comes to mind -- but as far as I remember, those are mostly the most severely damaged ones. So, here's the question. The guardians around the Temple of Time look to be in good condition; they have most of their legs and no weapons sticking out of them. Yet they're all dead. Can we conclude that those Guardians were purged in a similar way?
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Evran_Speer wrote:

      Okay, I'm interested.

      Cajbaj wrote:

      We can see that when Zelda purges nearby Guardians, they completely deactivate. They're dead. Irrepairable. They sit for a hundred years and remain busted, where some guardians that are heavily damaged and shouldn't awaken are still "alive".
      So, there's a discernible difference between Guardians that were "purged" by Zelda and thus remain inactive, and those which were deactivated by other means, and can thus be reactivated by Calamity Ganon as he regains power. The ones at Blatchery Plain near Fort Hateno, which we see Zelda purge, are permanently dead. Most others can and do still target Link and attack.
      There are a few other ones that never reawaken -- the one closest to Zora's Domain comes to mind -- but as far as I remember, those are mostly the most severely damaged ones. So, here's the question. The guardians around the Temple of Time look to be in good condition; they have most of their legs and no weapons sticking out of them. Yet they're all dead. Can we conclude that those Guardians were purged in a similar way?
      huh. I wonder. Zelda wasn't around and guardians in much worse physical shape are still functional on the plateau. I don't know about those ones. Possibly an accident by the developers?
    • gamtos wrote:

      Cajbaj wrote:

      But isn't that the same as what I said?
      That would be like me saying I gave a hand puppet unholy life by putting myself inside of it.
      Next time you're an ancient evil undead demon, let me know, haha.

      Aku wrote:

      What about the DBs under this theory? If Calamity's Malice pretty much takes the place of the blue fire that powers these things, and if Zelda 'purging' them pretty much deactivates them, how are the DB's still operating? They should have immediately shut down insteading of simply reglowing blue.
      Good point. Since the Blights mimic the Champions, maybe they're also authorized to control the beasts rather than getting all up in their grill and controlling them directly. Maybe the map guidance stone/sheikah slate combo is a sort of "maintenance" mode with less features but manual override.

      But the Champions control the beasts physically so there's probably a lot about them to figure out besides "giant robot" and I don't even know where to start.
    • Zelda didn't purge the Divine Beasts, at least not in the way she did the guardians at Fort Hateno, with a short-range blast of light magic. Unless there's a flashback I'm forgetting, I'm under the impression that the Divine Beasts and the rest of the guardians shut down when Zelda confronted Ganon, remained inactive for about 100 years, and then revived shortly before Link did as a result of Ganon breaking free from Zelda's hold on him, at which point they mostly all just went berserk.

      Another difference is that the guardians are automated, while the Divine Beasts have pilots. If Ganon overrode the guardian AI and then Zelda deleted it, the guardian no longer has any way to do anything. Ganon "overrode" the Divine Beast pilots, and then Link "deleted" the Blights, but the Champions spirits are still around to retake control. Only after the Champion spirits disappear at the end of the game would I expect the Divine Beasts to shut down again. (And then only until another pilot is found.)
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

      Post by The Baton of the Wind ().

      This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • The Baton of the Wind wrote:

      I wonder how old (or young) Impa was 100 years ago. For her to be alive, I can't see her being a day over 120 yrs old... And that's even pushing it, or so it seems....
      I read Master Works recentlu and it says she's 120, Purah's a bit older, and Robbie is about Zelda's age.

      But Sheikah are often portrayed as living for over a hundred years so they must be long lived.
    • Wow, Master Works says her age? That's cool. So I guessed about right. Awesome.

      Doesn't surprise me the sheikah live a long time. There are cultures in the far east who have been said to outlive most civilisations in their time because they were so disciplined and healthy. That may include the Japanese during the Jomon period
    • The Baton of the Wind wrote:

      Wow, Master Works says her age? That's cool. So I guessed about right. Awesome.

      Doesn't surprise me the sheikah live a long time. There are cultures in the far east who have been said to outlive most civilisations in their time because they were so disciplined and healthy. That may include the Japanese during the Jomon period
      Yeah it states Impa as 120, Robbie as also 120 and Purah as 124.

      It goes further to state that these three are the only three Sheikah that have lived long enough to remember the Calamity. None of the other Sheikah are old enough.
    • I posted this in the BotW timeline discussion not long ago.

      Evran_Speer wrote:

      There are three dragons in SS – Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru – and three in BotW – Faron, Dinraal, and Naydra. In both cases, they are named in conjunction with the Goddesses, watch over specific lands, and serve the Goddess Hylia. But BotW also hints at a different set of dragons. The Spring of Courage features a depiction of a dragon not yet seen in either game. Dragon's Exile deep in Gerudo Desert hints at the home of a dragon where none live now. And Dragon Bone Mire west of Rito Village actually contains the skeleton of what we can only assume is a long-dead dragon. This trio of references seemingly point to a trio of dragons, each with a different area of Hyrule to call its own.
      Most likely, this new dragon trio is the generation directly before the ones we see in BotW.

      Anyway, I don't know why I didn't think to do this right away, but I've since searched through Dragon's Exile in the hopes of finding a dragon skeleton. Unfortunately, there were no giant bones to be found in the immediate vicinity at all, aside from the Leviathan. In fact, there are plenty of bones elsewhere in the desert, so the lack of bones at Dragon's Exile is actually quite glaring. (From a game design standpoint, that was probably to make the Leviathan stand out more.)

      With that in mind, the word "exile" is an interesting choice. Perhaps the dragon in question departed further west, away from Hyrule, and "Dragon's Exile" is simply the last place it was seen, rather than its permanent abode.

      On an unrelated topic, the Lost Woods looks... weird, right?



      The entire forest is surrounded by a narrow lake disconnected from any other water source in Hyrule, with exactly one land bridge leading from the mainland to the forest. It looks like a moat. I think this lake was actually put in place by the ancient Hylians and Sheikah, as a barrier to keep the forest penned in. The Lost Woods have a habit of expanding (in TP, for example, it covered the remains of the Temple of Time), and can be very dangerous (people getting lost and turning into stalfos).
      Goddess of the Sands

      Map of Thyphlo Ruins

      Forest Architects

      If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • I have a one about a DT explanation where the Rito came from. And really its a pretty simple one...

      In the AT, they evolved from Zora. And so I'm following the same rule here. Long after OoX, in which the Zora are in search of a new water source, the Zora make their way back to Hyrule and found a water source. But not all of them meet up with the main group. Some either got lost or got confused about where to meet and ended up far to the west at Lake Totori. They set up their home there and are out of contact with the Zora to the east. And they have a hard time surviving out there at Lake Totori because of the climate, largely the arid nature of that area; and like in the AT by Hylia's grace the Zora - over the ages -evolve into the Rito.
    • The Baton of the Wind wrote:

      I have a one about a DT explanation where the Rito came from. And really its a pretty simple one...

      In the AT, they evolved from Zora. And so I'm following the same rule here. Long after OoX, in which the Zora are in search of a new water source, the Zora make their way back to Hyrule and found a water source. But not all of them meet up with the main group. Some either got lost or got confused about where to meet and ended up far to the west at Lake Totori. They set up their home there and are out of contact with the Zora to the east. And they have a hard time surviving out there at Lake Totori because of the climate, largely the arid nature of that area; and like in the AT by Hylia's grace the Zora - over the ages -evolve into the Rito.
      my theory is that the BotW Rito are the River Zora who evolved into the Rito when the Ocean Zora returned to Hyrule and drove them out.

      We know what the Ocean Zora look like as Rito (TWW) and the River Zora are said to have a more monster-like appearance, which is why Rito in BotW look so much more bird like then their Wind Waker cousins. To me, this is the simplest answer.
    • The Baton of the Wind wrote:

      I have a one about a DT explanation where the Rito came from. And really its a pretty simple one...

      In the AT, they evolved from Zora. And so I'm following the same rule here. Long after OoX, in which the Zora are in search of a new water source, the Zora make their way back to Hyrule and found a water source. But not all of them meet up with the main group. Some either got lost or got confused about where to meet and ended up far to the west at Lake Totori. They set up their home there and are out of contact with the Zora to the east. And they have a hard time surviving out there at Lake Totori because of the climate, largely the arid nature of that area; and like in the AT by Hylia's grace the Zora - over the ages -evolve into the Rito.
      my theory is that the BotW Rito are the River Zora who evolved into the Rito when the Ocean Zora returned to Hyrule and drove them out.

      We know what the Ocean Zora look like as Rito (TWW) and the River Zora are said to have a more monster-like appearance, which is why Rito in BotW look so much more bird like then their Wind Waker cousins. To me, this is the simplest answer.
    • I don't find that simple at all. In terms of physicality, I find the BotW Rito extremely far removed from monster Zora.




      To me, this progression feels very smooth.
      The pointy Zora nose became the Rito beak. Their fins became wings that expand to their full arms when flying... somehow.
      The most common Rito beak follows that Quill silhouette along with the ankles far off the ground and thick white brows.

      I think the BotW Rito are mostly a logical next step frok fishman to birdman.
    • gamtos wrote:

      I think the BotW Rito are mostly a logical next step frok fishman to birdman.

      So essentially the WW Rito would eventually evolve fully into the same kind of Rito in Botw?

      I'm fine with that, The WW explanation for the presence of Rito mention the scales from the dragon helping their transformation. It's not hard to believe that this transformation would have occurred in either timeline even without a Flood making it necessary. The Circumstances may have been different but the result could very well be the same.

      If we look at the mural from TP depicting the Rito with the other races I feel like we should take into account the possibility that the evolution for some Zora into Rito began much further in the past than even OoT and certainly before the Flood in Windwaker.
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the ability to overcome it.
    • MORPHRELINK wrote:

      If we look at the mural from TP depicting the Rito with the other races I feel like we should take into account the possibility that the evolution for some Zora into Rito began much further in the past than even OoT and certainly before the Flood in Windwaker.
      Much much disagreement.

      The Ritos from TWW are artificial, they were made with Valoo's scales, the sky spirit.
      I'm really sure that the BOTW Ritos are not related in anyways to Zoras, I believe they are true Ritos.

      The TP mural is really mysterious and we have yet the sufficient knowledge in order to be able of understanding it even a little.
      My theory is that it represent the three timelines, and those are TWW Ritos.

      The name of their region, Tabantha, make me want to connect them with the Wind Tribe and the Sky Folk.

      That bird, Zeffa, is known as a リトロック Ritoroc, Rito is an anagram of Tori "bird", so it wasn't just used for the humanoid bird people.
      Those birds are the pets of the Wind folk and can be found at the tower of the Wind …

      It is all connected somehow, but I think it deserves a thread for itself.