Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Forgotten Temple
    • ~ The Forgotten Temple ~

"I am a humble monk, blessed with the sight of Goddess Hylia and dedicated to helping those who seek to defeat Ganon."

The Forgotten Temple, one of the many mysteries of Breath of the Wild, though this being one that we barely much info on, only that a big Hylia Statue sits there, with a Shrine and later on the Tunic of the Wild set. Though that is really all we know, though there are some clues that can lead us to know what the temple really was in its prime.

First of all, it clearly seemed to be a important place of Hylia worship as shown by the huge Hylia Statue that sits at its back. The first thought that may had passed through the minds of some could be that this statue is the same from Skyloft, but of course the size does not match, but even with that, I still checked the area where the Statuette hole would be, and it was missing. While it is not the same statue, we can still tell the first important part, it was a important temple of Hylia.

Though who prayed in the temple? While the area itself leave things majorly unanswered, the end result of the search of the 120 Shrines may shine some light into this. Since once you finished all the Shrines, you receive one last message from the Monks, to go there since they have left you one last reward/blessing, in said place. Therefore establishing the connection of the Monks to the temple, with them leaving the chests there, probably ages ago, unseen till the last Shrine is done.

So now we have two things, the Forgotten Temple which the Sheikah Monk seemed to inhabit long ago.

Though what happened to the Monks? We know that they somehow ended in the Shrines, to help that who seeks to defeat Ganon, but how? Sadly, for this, we have to play the observation game. Which actually brings forth interesting results, since by that it is suggested that this Monks have actually gone through the process of Sokushinbutsu or self-mummification. They seem to fit the prerequisites, they are in the lotus position, bodies barely decayed after millenias, repeating what seems to be Hylia Cult mantras, and while they have not achieved an "Hylia-like" state, it is indeed mention that they have atleast been blessed with the Sight of Hylia.

So now we are slowly getting a clearer image of the temple: A temple of Hylia, in which the Sheikah Monks resided before they began the process of self-mummification to one day aid that which seeked to defeat Ganon.

Now what follow are some minor details, that also still has some revelance. For example, the location of the temple, it is in a canyon, hidden away from the world, which coincides with many temples of Oriental religions, like Buddhism, which some temples dedicated to the most dedicated of monks were usually hidden away from civilization, making the connection again to the the dedicated monks that went through the process of self-mummification. Though, this monks not only decided to mummify themselves to one day help a possible Hero, but if we go by the description of the Tunic of the Wild set and the mantra of some, they are following a prophecy that says that one day a Hero will appear, and so they mummified themselves to one day be of service to him, in name of Goddess Hylia.

So now we can answer the big question, what is the Forgotten Temple? And by what we have concluded this is what we can say avout this mysterious temple:

The Forgotten Temple is a temple in which Hylia used to be worship by a group of dedicated Sheikah Monks. One day, a prophecy or promise of a Hero appeared, and so the Tunic of the Wild set was crafted and left in the temple. Meanwhile, the Sheikah Monks began the process of self-mummification, so that the day it occured, they could help the Hero that seeked to defeat Ganon. At the end, getting encased in the Shrines, and the temple forgotten, till BotW occurs, and the promise of a Hero that would traverse the wilds is fulfilled.

What is the Forgotten Temple?: The Forgotten Temple
      A relation between Zelda and Taoism? The Legend of Zelda and Taoism

The post was edited 3 times, last by tlozbj ().

• That makes sense, I like the connection to Skushinbitsu. That's fairly obvious, though I didn't notice before. How do we reconcile the Forgotten Temple with the Temple of Time from OoT? Is it the same structure, renovated and modified? Or a brand new temple, built upon the bones of the previous one? I want to believe the first based off the geographical similarities of the area to Castle Town Square, but I'm not certain.
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!
    • I like that a lot! I don't remember the exact look of the Isle of Songs, but the geography definitely lines up better than any of the previous theories. My own theoretical aligning of the major maps puts Thunderhead somewhere above Snowpeak from TP, which I believe would be near or the same as the Hebra region. So if the Isle of Songs were to fall, it could be in about the location it is in BotW.
      Replaying all games (in release order) - progress:
      LoZ, AoL, LttP, LA (DX), OoT, MM, OoA/OoS, WW (HD), Four Sword Adventures (currently playing)

• Sorry I hadn't answer, May was a bit rushy, and I haven't really been feeling with energies in June. BUt here we go:

@Takanuva
      The guy that trains at night in Kakariko Village also suggests that this is indeed what is going on. He mentioned that that a master of the arts of defense was long ago enshrined in the village, which would go hand in hand with how the monks that were doing the ritual mummification were at the end "enshrined" to complete the self-mummification ritual.

Also huh? The Forgotten Temple is the one near Hebra, not the ToT from the Great Plateau :P BUt now that you mention it, I do believe that ToT is not 100% the same as the OoT one, and that at minimum it has been modified, since the temple no longer holds the cylindrical Master Sword Chamber, and instead seems to end where the Door of Time would had been in the original.

@Smallville Boy
      That's a interesting possibility, though looking at all the maps (BotW, SS Surface, and SS Sky), the Isle of Songs is more at a diagonal from Skyloft/Temple of Hylia/Great Plateau, than what the Forgotten Temple is of the Great Plateau, which is almost directly above. But it isn't out of the question that they were part of the same temple structure, going by the locations. Maybe a song room which was used by the monks of the temple to show their belief in Goddess Hylia, seeing how she seemed to have some inclination towards music.

• Something worth noticing is that the Forgotten Temple is in a ravine, and seems to be partially covered by the walls.

Was this area once subterranean before the cliff was created?

Dinraal flies through said canyon, and an NPC mentions Dueling Peaks was once a single mountain before a dragon split it.

Just musing about stuff. I figured maybe the Forgotten Temple may have been a temple guarded by Eldin, much as it was in Skyward Sword, or guarded by Valoo or Volvagia for that matter.

Another observation is that the place is swarmed by Guardians and I feel we gotta muse about what exactly happened here:
      - The Guardians invaded this place 100 years ago and then broke down. Makes sense as this is how all Guardians end up where they are, but this would imply there was something in the Forgotten Temple that the Guardians were after;
      Either there were people living here, or Ganon was seeking out something that scared him, something related to the Goddess Hylia.

- Alternatively, as the Guardians were originally excavated from the depths, it's possible these Guardians are 10 000 years old and have been guarding the temple ever since.
      However, this leads to questions about why they seem to be possessed by Calamity Ganon. Or is their red coloring just their default aggressive state, with the Guardians in the Forgotten Temple being programmed to shoot any intruder?
      In that case, that certainly would explain why they hadn't been excavated from there; anyone who tried would die.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

• I think it's fair to say that the Forgotten Temple was used by the Ancient Sheikah of 10,000 years ago, and may have been fairly important to them. It has the largest goddess statue and the green tunic. Assuming that Calamity Ganon knows about this place, he might still expect to find Sheikah there. If nothing else, it makes sense that he would send a few guardians to check, especially Link 'died' and the Champions died and Ganon had basically won.

On the other hand, if these guardians were left behind from 10,000 years ago, maybe they were inert for all that time and then activated by Calamity Ganon at the same time as he hacked all the ones the good guys were using?
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • @gamtos
      The Dinraal thought line is an interesting one. It is possible that through his flight in the area he began to create the Tanagar Pass, but going by the "normal" entry to the area, the Sheikah probably finished the job when they went to built the temple. Well, that is if the order of events is Dinraal passing -> Temple built, and not the other way around.

I would think that the Dinraal passing in the area is more to go on with tradition, sincr outside of BotW, Kakariko Village have always been close to the Eldin region or its fiery equivalent.

@gamtos and @Evran_Speer
      By what we see, it is possible that the Guardians were there since 10,000 years ago, and where put there as a trial for the Hero. Afterall, once you get to the end of the temple you are rewarded with a Shrine of the "Blessing" type. Though while the Guardians were left there for that, what what Evran mentioned probably also occured and they got corrupted alongside the others.

• Judging by the way in which the guardians are corrupted, I actually doubt that one; Ganondorf spat out some sort of malice projectiles and somehow managed to precision-strike all of the Guardians, fine, but I don't buy that for the ones that were underground.

Also notable is how these Guardians are more based around guarding Sheikah monuments rather than clambering up fortresses and destroying Hyrule Castle Town.
    • @gamtos While it is true that by the way that Ganon corrupts them it is doubtful it could had gotten to them, but he still did. Just went to check up just in case in BotW, and the Master Sword does light up when near them and Malice poof out of them when defeated, as any other Ganon corrupted Guardian

I would suppose that has to do with them having no legs :v All the Guardians in the Temple are legless, unlike those imthat destroyed Hyrule Castle Town, and to be fair, at the end that probably was not their objective, and instead they were looking for their target, destroying the town in the process. Which at the end, the corrupted Temple ones still do, while legless they still look to eliminate their target.

• gamtos wrote:

Judging by the way in which the guardians are corrupted, I actually doubt that one; Ganondorf spat out some sort of malice projectiles and somehow managed to precision-strike all of the Guardians, fine, but I don't buy that for the ones that were underground.

Also notable is how these Guardians are more based around guarding Sheikah monuments rather than clambering up fortresses and destroying Hyrule Castle Town.
      I think it's probably relevant to point out the Guardians in the basement of the Lomoi Labyrinth Island: they're all underground (or within a structure, anyhow), all inaccessible without sailing over to the island and having the Shiekah monk open the grate for you, and all guard an artifact of sorts (the diamond circlet).

Of course, here's where it gets a bit weird: they aren't active until you attack them or grab the circlet, and the whole basement is some kind of Guardian graveyard.

They're definitely all "corrupted by Ganon" and take extra damage from the Master Sword, but I don't know if the gameplay and plot necessarily line up there (it could be that they just reuse the one color of Guardian they have, for instance).

Also, it's worth noting that the five pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle were supposedly filled with an army of Guardians and the Calamity Ganon had no issue with possessing those.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Ganon was in a hacker movie, he'd have hacked the mainframe and remotely taken control over all the drones.

Also also, I'm pretty sure that none of those Guardians have working legs? They couldn't clamber up the canyon walls and destroy the Rito village even if they wanted to.