Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Breath of the Wild's story moral and deeper meaning (spoilers)
  • @Octorocker

If you think calamity ganon had a comparably developed backstory to Agahnim's then all I can say is you're wrong. Agahnim was so involved in the story of ALttP and became such an iconic villain they could literally make a game centered around him and it would do well in my opinion. Calamity ganon has nothing. His character was pushed almost entirely in his image. All we know is that he was around 10,000 years before BOTW and came back in present time to rawr at the sky circling Hyrule castle until you decide to face him and then when you do, you don't even face that creature. You face something else that is also not explained but its big and scary and thats all that matters I guess.

I don't care to talk about anything else because I've said what I wanted to say. Believe what you want. If you're happy with how they handle the series then so be it. Others like myself will hold the series to a much higher standard than you and expect more out of something that has been around for over 30 years and should always be better than the last.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda
  • HylianRoyal wrote:

If you think calamity ganon had a comparably developed backstory to Agahnim's then all I can say is you're wrong. Agahnim was so involved in the story of ALttP and became such an iconic villain they could literally make a game centered around him and it would do well in my opinion.
    Where to begin? First, involvement with a story isn't the same thing as backstory. The Link of every game is very involved, and we usually know almost nothing about their backstory.

Next, what we know about Agahnim is: he's Ganon's alter-ego (and even that had to be puzzled out years later), he wants to bring Ganon back to the Light World, he faked being a wise man, and he took over Hyrule.

What we know about CG is: he's the entity once known as Ganondorf (we find this out in-game, and now we already know more about CG than Agahnim), he wants to bring himself back to life, he showed up multiple times in the past, and he took control of the Guardians.

Look at that, once again BotW is as comparably developed as ALttP.

Finally, CG actually had a game centered around thwarting him and it did well.

I don't care to talk about anything else because I've said what I wanted to say. Believe what you want. If you're happy with how they handle the series then so be it. Others like myself will hold the series to a much higher standard than you and expect more out of something that has been around for over 30 years and should always be better than the last.
    I'm glad you're done because you haven't made a sensible point yet. While you're busy trying to make Zelda into something its never been and never will be, the rest of us will be holding the series to a better standard and playing/enjoying the games.
  • Octorocker wrote:

HylianRoyal wrote:

If you think calamity ganon had a comparably developed backstory to Agahnim's then all I can say is you're wrong. Agahnim was so involved in the story of ALttP and became such an iconic villain they could literally make a game centered around him and it would do well in my opinion.
    Where to begin? First, involvement with a story isn't the same thing as backstory. The Link of every game is very involved, and we usually know almost nothing about their backstory.
    Next, what we know about Agahnim is: he's Ganon's alter-ego (and even that had to be puzzled out years later), he wants to bring Ganon back to the Light World, he faked being a wise man, and he took over Hyrule.

What we know about CG is: he's the entity once known as Ganondorf (we find this out in-game, and now we already know more about CG than Agahnim), he wants to bring himself back to life, he showed up multiple times in the past, and he took control of the Guardians.

Look at that, once again BotW is as comparably developed as ALttP.

Finally, CG actually had a game centered around thwarting him and it did well.

I'm glad you're done because you haven't made a sensible point yet. While you're busy trying to make Zelda into something its never been and never will be, the rest of us will be holding the series to a better standard and playing/enjoying the games.
    ALttP would make a great movie. BOTW would make a decent half hour cartoon. BOTW was like a Zelda story told backwards but also left a lot of details in the dark. Your points skim the surface of observation so to you my points will not seem sensible. Imagine for a moment BOTW's story being played out in ALttP's setting. For example, no cinematics and cutscenes. No voice acting or modern day console graphics. BOTW presented the same way ALttP was. The end game would be exposed from the beginning. You would do a little character buffing then go and face the final boss. When you play ALttP for the first time, you don't know what is going on or where you will be led to next. The game is so filled with adventure and mystery than it sends you to another world where you have no idea what has happened to the world around you and everything has been twisted into Ganon's dark image. In BOTW, Ganon comes back and does nothing for 100 years but fly around Hyrule castle roaring at the sky. What have the guardians done all this time and the divine beasts? They have been under Ganon's control all this time and yet you have villages with people living and doing well. Travelers and civilizations of other races doing just fine. There is no sense impending doom or that much of anything has happened over the course of 100 years. Its like the guardians went on a rampage for an hour and for the next 100 years just walked around and did nothing. BOTW pales in comparison to the presentation and sense of happenings in ALttP. If you don't see this at this point then I feel you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. I know you're trying to make valid points but we're both leaning on our own perspectives here and getting nowhere so we'll just have to agree to disagree. And don't get me wrong. I did enjoy BOTW's story, but I also believe it could have given us so much more even with the series' recurring theme of storytelling.
  • HylianRoyal wrote:

In BOTW, Ganon comes back and does nothing for 100 years but fly around Hyrule castle roaring at the sky. What have the guardians done all this time and the divine beasts? They have been under Ganon's control all this time and yet you have villages with people living and doing well. Travelers and civilizations of other races doing just fine. There is no sense impending doom or that much of anything has happened over the course of 100 years. Its like the guardians went on a rampage for an hour and for the next 100 years just walked around and did nothing.
    The people / living races in villages are descendants of survivors from the calamity that happened 100 years ago. Ganon and his malice already did what they had planned to do. These very little civilization doing "just fine" 100 years after CG are necessary to give the player a backstory of what happened throughout Hyrule's History, they also give the game a better deph of Hyrule's 'hopelessness' of a situation. If the game makers decided to just have calamity ganon and the guardians wipe out everything that moves, what will be left for us to play with...or what will be left for Link to save or to interact with? lol It's a game cliche, I know but they are all necessary for the story itself.

Also, I am sensing the eerie and 'impending doom' when exploring around every corners of the map. There's just so much to discover and each discovery gives you different reactions of the game. Every plateau, mountains and ruins, I've come across with always tells a story. This is my experience while playing the game anyway. :]
  • Chloroform wrote:

HylianRoyal wrote:

In BOTW, Ganon comes back and does nothing for 100 years but fly around Hyrule castle roaring at the sky. What have the guardians done all this time and the divine beasts? They have been under Ganon's control all this time and yet you have villages with people living and doing well. Travelers and civilizations of other races doing just fine. There is no sense impending doom or that much of anything has happened over the course of 100 years. Its like the guardians went on a rampage for an hour and for the next 100 years just walked around and did nothing.
    The people / living races in villages are descendants of survivors from the calamity that happened 100 years ago. Ganon and his malice already did what they had planned to do. These very little civilization doing "just fine" 100 years after CG are necessary to give the player a backstory of what happened throughout Hyrule's History, they also give the game a better deph of Hyrule's 'hopelessness' of a situation. If the game makers decided to just have calamity ganon and the guardians wipe out everything that moves, what will be left for us to play with...or what will be left for Link to save or to interact with? lol It's a game cliche, I know but they are all necessary for the story itself.
    Also, I am sensing the eerie and 'impending doom' when exploring around every corners of the map. There's just so much to discover and each discovery gives you different reactions of the game. Every plateau, mountains and ruins, I've come across with always tells a story. This is my experience while playing the game anyway. :]
    The guardians were wiping out everything that moves and in game if you get anywhere close to them they will try to kill you. These things have been roaming around in the hundreds, maybe even thousands, for 100 years and the land looks like a utopia when Link wakes up. It would've been far more interesting had Link been placed in the chamber with the land looking that way then and then wake up with the land looking very apocalyptic. It would reflect CG's presence on the scene more than just keeping him a scary figure flying around the castle. What would be left to save? Everything. Zelda would still be holding him back and there would still be a reason to stop him. Ganon was controlling the guardians for those 100 years and he still couldn't find those villages and towns that were established during that time? Also at this point he's pretty much gone insane. Destroying everything would be a part of his character now.
  • It actually makes sense that the land looks, well, wild. I didn't see any indication in-game that the Guardians went after animals. So, the areas where they were prominent (i.e. Central Hyrule) would become a sort of "no man's land" where nature could reclaim the land unhindered by the activities of sentient beings. The Guardians have, completely unintentionally, turned vast parts of Hyrule into a nature preserve.

For real life examples of this phenomenon, look at the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, and the area around Chernobyl. Where humans dare not tread, nature soon reclaims.
    "Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption"

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope for a better future seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?

Chapter 2: Crescendo of Regret -- A night at Dueling Peaks Stable helps Zelda to see just how much the world has changed in 100 years. The more she thinks about her role in the Calamity's defeat, the more guilt she feels.
  • Octorocker wrote:

Wait, you're talking about how disappointing the story is and you don't even own the game?
    I know right!!! :yeppers: :yeppers: :yeppers: :yeppers: :cheers: :moodswing:
    WE ARE TENKAI FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Check out ALL of my other Youtube channels:
    youtube.com/channel/UCKkpgRb74yroa2XelXDHrlg/videos
    ( MAIN CHANNEL),
    youtube.com/channel/UCG3TE-B01GUV4rKzfLF7_aQ
    (2nd Channel),
    and: youtube.com/channel/UCeR1MdUQlBksuXE2OMg0G1w
    (SPECIAL CHANNEL)

!!!I DON'T RECOMMEND THE LAST 2 CHANNELS!!!