Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Breath of the Wild's story moral and deeper meaning (spoilers)
  • Octorocker wrote:

    Wait, you're talking about how disappointing the story is and you don't even own the game?
    Yes, because everything about the BOTW story is online. I'm not just talking about the cutscenes either. There is a lot of lore to be found in the game, which I also have already seen. I don't need to own the game to know and talk about the story. I also never buy a game until after it comes out and I like it enough to want to own it. BOTW came close and it still may have a chance for me to buy it if the future DLC satisfies me enough. The new original story is going to have to be really good for me to want to experience it while playing the game. I am not interested much at all to experience BOTW's current story while playing the game. For me, the story in a Zelda game is everything.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda
  • HylianRoyal wrote:

    Octorocker wrote:

    Wait, you're talking about how disappointing the story is and you don't even own the game?
    Yes, because everything about the BOTW story is online. I'm not just talking about the cutscenes either. There is a lot of lore to be found in the game, which I also have already seen. I don't need to own the game to know and talk about the story. I also never buy a game until after it comes out and I like it enough to want to own it. BOTW came close and it still may have a chance for me to buy it if the future DLC satisfies me enough. The new original story is going to have to be really good for me to want to experience it while playing the game. I am not interested much at all to experience BOTW's current story while playing the game. For me, the story in a Zelda game is everything.
    I want to agree with you, but since when has that been Nintendo's main focus for the Zelda series? I think it's sad that video games don't do more with stories than they do (I have to admit occasionally too many cutscenes or story-related can pull you out of the game... I'm looking at you Halo... but there are ways around the problem).

    Sometimes Nintendo has pulled off surprises story-related, like the motives that drove Ganondorf in WW, but to be honest, I think the story has been more the icing on the cake than anything. Zelda has been more about gameplay, quests, although we've had snippets of story in side-quests such as Majora's Mask, but I don't get the impression it's been their main focus. It's partly why I like fanfiction... there's so much potential in the Zelda series that doesn't get used, which opens up a whole realm of possibilities for anyone who looks writing or any other fan-made materials (a lot of it isn't great, but some of it's good).

    I'm not saying that this is a reasonable justification for giving Breath of the Wild a mediocre storyline, and I wish they'd improved it because Zelda deserves a good story (there were so many small things Nintendo could've done with BotW. I'm only saying that a story such as the one we got, is not unexpected given the focus has been on the gameplay. Heck, in this case, I think Nintendo spent most of the time developing the overworld and then chucked everything else.
    "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

    A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

    Click here for the audiobook edition. Currently accepting auditions!

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Thal1989 ().

  • Thal1989 wrote:

    HylianRoyal wrote:

    Octorocker wrote:

    Wait, you're talking about how disappointing the story is and you don't even own the game?
    Yes, because everything about the BOTW story is online. I'm not just talking about the cutscenes either. There is a lot of lore to be found in the game, which I also have already seen. I don't need to own the game to know and talk about the story. I also never buy a game until after it comes out and I like it enough to want to own it. BOTW came close and it still may have a chance for me to buy it if the future DLC satisfies me enough. The new original story is going to have to be really good for me to want to experience it while playing the game. I am not interested much at all to experience BOTW's current story while playing the game. For me, the story in a Zelda game is everything.
    I want to agree with you, but since when has that been Nintendo's main focus for the Zelda series?
    Since almost never. That was my point.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda
  • Octorocker wrote:

    There's no point in having this conversation with you then.

    It's like someone trying to say the story in a movie is a letdown and they've only read the screenplay.
    Show me something I don't know concerning BOTW's story if you feel this way. I hold the Zelda series to a high standard because its over 30 years in the making. It has endless potential and BOTW's story lacked in so many areas.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda
  • You know literally nothing at all about the story except plot and lore.

    Videogame story is more than those two things, and you can't derive the rest from watching YouTube videos any more than you can capture a movie's story with a mere screenplay.

    Story is, among other things, an attachment to characters you interact with and play as, development of skill, immersion in a world, etc. You don't know any of that, because you haven't experienced it.

    So, if you want to complain about BotW's plot, go for it, but as far as I'm concerned anything you have to say about story is vapid.

    The post was edited 3 times, last by Octorocker ().

  • Octorocker wrote:

    You know literally nothing at all about the story except plot and lore.

    Videogame story is more than those two things, and you can't derive the rest from watching YouTube videos any more than you can capture a movie's story with a mere screenplay.

    Story is, among other things, an attachment to characters you interact with and play as, development of skill, immersion in a world, etc. You don't know any of that, because you haven't experienced it.

    So, if you want to complain about BotW's plot, go for it, but as far as I'm concerned anything you have to say about story is vapid.
    Plot and lore is the story. Also I can watch gameplay of the entire game on YouTube and see everything I would have if I had played the game myself. I don't care to be the one holding the controller when something story related happens in the game. I only care what the story has to offer. So you're wrong when you say I know literally nothing about the story except plot and lore. I know enough to criticize BOTW's story and deem it an unworthy Zelda story in my opinion. It laid a great foundation but I feel that is all we got. The foundation was left without added substance in many areas. If my opinion on the subject is vapid to you then don't worry about what I have to say. But if you feel so compelled to reply to my comments then I will reply back and defend my stance on the matter. Also I stand by what I said in my previous reply. Show me something I don't know about BOTW's story if you feel I'm so unqualified to talk about it.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda

    The post was edited 1 time, last by HylianRoyal ().

  • HylianRoyal wrote:

    Plot and lore is the story.
    You're so wrong here it isn't funny, story is much more. That statement is particularly true of interactive entertainment, and you haven't interacted with this entertainment.

    Everything you said below the quote above was built on this faulty premise, and so I need not respond to it.

    Show me something I don't know about BOTW's story if you feel I'm so unqualified to talk about it.
    You don't know a thing about the sense of accomplishment one gets when they earn the extra 30 seconds of cutscene for the true ending, because you haven't earned it.

    That's important for the following reason: Part of telling a compelling story is creating emotional bonds between characters and the audience, and for the video game medium, gameplay does that.

    You can't critique the story of a videogame because you haven't experienced it. It wasn't your mind, your fingers, or your time that brought Link to the conclusion of his journey.

    So, once again, you haven't played the game so all you know is plot and lore. I'm done here.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Octorocker ().

  • Octorocker wrote:

    HylianRoyal wrote:

    Plot and lore is the story.
    You're so wrong here it isn't funny, story is much more. That statement is particularly true of interactive entertainment, and you haven't interacted with this entertainment.
    Everything you said below the quote above was built on this faulty premise, and so I need not respond to it.

    Show me something I don't know about BOTW's story if you feel I'm so unqualified to talk about it.
    You don't know a thing about the sense of accomplishment one gets when they earn the extra 30 seconds of cutscene for the true ending, because you haven't earned it.
    That's important for the following reason: Part of telling a compelling story is creating emotional bonds between characters and the audience, and for the video game medium, gameplay does that.

    You can't critique the story of a videogame because you haven't experienced it. It wasn't your mind, your fingers, or your time that brought Link to the conclusion of his journey.

    So, once again, you haven't played the game so all you know is plot and lore. I'm done here.
    That extra 30 seconds of cutscene for the true ending isn't worth the time it takes to earn it in game. I've seen it and what you have to do to get it and it's not worth it. You're letting pride and biases blind you from seeing the simple points I am making here. Your pride of playing the game and earning the story and the bias opinion that comes from that pride. The only thing different you have done that I haven't concerning BOTW is hold a piece of plastic with buttons in your hand and control a pixelated character through scenes and places I have already seen. I don't place the value of accomplishment on the same level as the value of telling a good story. If I listen to an audio book instead of reading the words with my own eyes do I still have the right to critique the book because I didn't read the words with my eyes? That is the point I am making here. I've played great Zelda games that had a great story, presented it well and allowed you to experience it while playing the game (ALttP, OoT) so I know what I'm looking for when a new Zelda game comes out. If you feel differently about BOTW and it means more to you than it does to me then so what? Go enjoy your game to your liking and don't worry about changing the views and opinions of someone who doesn't like certain aspects about the game as much as you do. As for me, I'll focus on the great Zelda games and await the ones to come in the future hoping they will be as great as the ones I love too. BOTW is coming out with a new original story soon which means we'll be able to apply 2 different stories to BOTW and choose which one we like better. So far I have seen one, and it has flaws in my opinion. When the next one comes out I'll see what it presents and decide which one is better hoping the new one makes up for what the first one lacked on.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda

    The post was edited 1 time, last by HylianRoyal ().

  • Pay attention. This isn't about my personal connection to the game or about a sense of pride for playing it.

    This is about story, and how you haven't experienced the story of a videogame if you haven't played it.

    I've made this abundantly clear.

    Octorocker wrote:

    The story in a videogame relies on the medium (just like movies, books, or comic books) in certain ways to engage the player. If you just watch a game you get the narrative but not the whole story experience.

    Octorocker wrote:

    Story is . . . an attachment to characters you interact with and play as, development of skill, immersion in a world, etc. You don't know any of that, because you haven't experienced it.

    So, if you want to complain about BotW's plot, go for it, but as far as I'm concerned anything you have to say about story is vapid.

    Octorocker wrote:

    You're so wrong here it isn't funny, story is much more. That statement is particularly true of interactive entertainment, and you haven't interacted with this entertainment.

    ...

    Part of telling a compelling story is creating emotional bonds between characters and the audience, and for the video game medium, gameplay does that.

    The post was edited 5 times, last by Octorocker ().

  • Octorocker wrote:

    Pay attention. This isn't about my personal connection to the game or about a sense of pride for playing it.

    This is about story, and how you haven't experienced the story of a videogame if you haven't played it.

    I've made this abundantly clear.
    I disagree. That is your opinion. And mine is that you do not have to play a game to fully know the story. You play games to elevate the experience of the story but it doesn't mean the information of it is lacking. See my comment about reading a book or listening to an audio book. Every second of BOTW is on YouTube now. I can also watch people on Twitch play it all the time and experience it that way.

    Little things make big impacts in a Zelda story. BOTW's story lacked in so many areas.

    A final goodbye with Zelda and her father.
    A little more lore behind calamity Ganon.
    More information about Link and where he came from. (When and why did he become the chosen hero)?
    More lore behind the master sword and why Link has it.
    More information about the royal family. Zelda's mother was mentioned a few times in the game and her grandmother once. Both of these characters are linked to the sealing power but were left footnotes in the story.

    Just to name a few. These are all things they could have expounded on in BOTW but didn't. These are also things that would have made BOTW's story SO much better and more engaging.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda
  • HylianRoyal wrote:

    I disagree. That is your opinion. And mine is that you do not have to play a game to fully know the story. You play games to elevate the experience of the story but it doesn't mean the information of it is lacking.
    I've already said you can know the plot and lore of a game without playing it. However, a story is more than information, and the rest comes from playing. The distinction between information (plot/lore) and story is why some people can be good teachers but miserable storytellers.

    You can claim it's an opinion all day long, but it isn't. The fact of the matter is that you're simply wrong.

    You can't deny that storytelling techniques differ based on the medium, and a videogame uses the gameplay to tell a different story. That isn't an opinion. A videogame movie vs a game is like a movie vs a screenplay.

    Furthermore, a movie of a game vs a game is not like an audiobook vs. a real book. The former use two different methods of storytelling, and the latter predominantly doesn't. For a more accurate example, see my screenplay comparison above.

    A final goodbye with Zelda and her father.
    Plot.

    A little more lore behind calamity Ganon.
    Lore.

    More information about Link and where he came from. (When and why did he become the chosen hero)?
    Lore.

    More lore behind the master sword and why Link has it.
    Lore.

    More information about the royal family.
    Lore.

    Display Spoiler

    Octorocker wrote:



    I've made this abundantly clear.

    Octorocker wrote:

    The story in a videogame relies on the medium (just like movies, books, or comic books) in certain ways to engage the player. If you just watch a game you get the narrative but not the whole story experience.

    Octorocker wrote:

    Story is . . . an attachment to characters you interact with and play as, development of skill, immersion in a world, etc. You don't know any of that, because you haven't experienced it.

    So, if you want to complain about BotW's plot, go for it, but as far as I'm concerned anything you have to say about story is vapid.

    Octorocker wrote:

    You're so wrong here it isn't funny, story is much more. That statement is particularly true of interactive entertainment, and you haven't interacted with this entertainment.

    ...

    Part of telling a compelling story is creating emotional bonds between characters and the audience, and for the video game medium, gameplay does that.


    Which brings me full circle: people are actually complaining that Nintendo didn't hand them all the lore on a platter.

    The post was edited 8 times, last by Octorocker ().

  • @Octorocker

    Storytelling doesn't mean much if there isn't much of a story to be told. No matter if I watch someone play the game or play it myself, the end of the game's story is all the same. I may have taken a different path along the way but the story remains the same. Yes I am complaining but not that they didn't give us all the lore, just some of it where it was literally begging to be told. Micro details and little story fillers that would have made BOTW's story so much better and detailed. The things I care about in BOTW's story are made no better or worse than if I play the game myself. What I care about the most in any Zelda game are the main aspects of the story and how it connects to the overall main aspects of the Zelda story as a whole. Often times these main aspects are made whole by smaller details that bring more sense to the bigger things going on. I'm not wrong. I just have a different perspective of fulfillment concerning the Zelda story. BOTW's story left my cup half full where I was hoping it would be overflowing.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda
  • HylianRoyal wrote:

    @Octorocker

    Storytelling doesn't mean much if there isn't much of a story to be told.

    That's true, but it's not what we've been talking about thus far.

    No matter if I watch someone play the game or play it myself, the end of the game's story is all the same. I may have taken a different path along the way but the story remains the same.

    Still true, still not what we've been talking about.

    The things I care about in BOTW's story are made no better or worse than if I play the game myself. What I care about the most in any Zelda game are the main aspects of the story and how it connects to the overall main aspects of the Zelda story as a whole.

    So the plot and the lore? Then complain away, because you actually have experience with those.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Octorocker ().

  • The side stuff that happens within the story I really don't give much thought to. I enjoyed it as a kid but now I just focus on the more important things. Even still, if I played ALttP again today I'm sure I'd cut every bush, throw every pot, find every hidden entrance and talk to anything that moves, and everything that doesn't. When I see BOTW all I keep thinking about is this huge smoking pig beast flying around Hyrule castle and how much I want to fight that thing. Everything else pales in comparison with how cool that part of the game looks.
    My childhood can be explained in just four words: The Legend of Zelda
  • I've completed the whole game and have the same opinion as @HylianRoyal.

    The games always followed some standards that gave us answers based on previous games (like Ganon's origin, and triforce) this game give us new concepts and is not able to explain it. (again Calamity Ganon, and triforce)


    BOTW is weaker on history, we have a vague beginning, expecting to learn more about Sheika technology, Ganon's origin, Zelda's powers. The story ends and we know nothing about prety much anything.

    Even the main history, which happens between these 100 years, is pretty vague, all we got is summarized into "memories".
  • Never minding that most of what you described is lore, let's do this. This is all from memory, so parts may be off, but you'll get the gist.

    In ALttP, Agahnim is kidnapping maidens, who are the descendants of Sages (that we learn nearly nothing about). You're telepathically (what) awoken by Zelda. (who we don't really learn anything about). Your Knight Uncle (who you never learn more about) dies and gives you a sword. You save Zelda.

    Sanctuary man sends you to Sahasrahla (who we learn nothing about). Sahasrahla says you need three pendants to get the MS (we never find out a good reason why the pendants exist) to break Agahnim's seal on the castle.

    You get the pendants and draw the sword (never learning the backstory of the sword) and evidently you're keeping the knights' line true (we never learn the significance of the knights).

    Zelda is taken back to Hyrule Castle. Link fights Agahnim. Link is taken to a Sacred Realm corrupted by Ganon's wish (see the manual for more information).

    Link must save the maidens (who are personality-less shells). The maidens use their power to give Link access to Ganon's Tower (which we learn nothing about). Link beats Agahnim again, who is Ganon's alter-ego (we never learn how Ganon got that part of himself to the Light World).

    Link fights Ganon in the Pyramid of Power (we don't learn anything about it) with the Silver Arrows (we don't learn anything about them). Ganon wants to take over the world (we learn almost nothing else about him, and what we do is from the manual). We're told Ganon was sealed in an Imprisoning War (but we don't really know anything about it).

    Link beats Ganon. Link recovers the Triforce (we learn almost nothing about it, and what we do is from the manual) and saves the world. End.

    This isn't counting all the locations (Lost Woods, Desert of Mystery, Death Mountain, Eastern Palace) that we learn nothing about. Nor is it counting the important items (Medallions, Pegasus Boots, Moon Pearl, Magic Mirror) we learn nothing about.

    Anybody else see the BotW parallels? I can do the exact same thing for OoT, WW, TP, and SS as well.

    The post was edited 5 times, last by Octorocker ().

  • I agree that by the time the game was released many of those questions were not answered and remained like that until nowadays.

    Now that we have connections with other games, these questions can be presumed more naturally.

    Again, the main problem of this game is giving us new concepts that were not explained, maybe Nintendo will continue this history through DLCs or a new game. But right now, many new concepts are unexplained and we can't deny that...

    The post was edited 1 time, last by BMAtreyu ().