Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    So about the Gorons, again...
    • HollowmanOfEoL wrote:

Also, royalty being allowed in the city? The friends (the champions) of Urbosa was apparently welcome? Don't know if they had to wear vai-clothes like Link has to tho...
      Now I want a 14th memory, of Link and Ravali stuck at the bazaar while Zelda, Urbossa, Mipha and Daruk are visiting Gerudo Town.

Ravali: Great. I'm stuck out in this burning hellhole with *you*

Link: ...

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • I think it's because the Gerudo don't see them as "human" enough. They perhaps think of the Gorons as walking rocks.

Sounds crazy, but as I'm sure someone has noted (I haven't looked through the entire thread), they don't have any distinguishing characteristics such as breasts or anything like that. They're just big rocks with arms and legs.

Plus, they're cute and adorable in a baby-doll sort of way. They're a relatively simple and peaceful race, perhaps seen as naive and carefree. Maybe the guards were like, "Ehhh let 'em in, they're harmless".

Another possibility is that since they're an all-male race (or at least seem to be), keeping them out would be inherent racial discrimination.

For the two races to get along peacefully, I could imagine an exception being made for the Gorons.
      HA! GOT 'EM!

The post was edited 1 time, last by ASttP ().

• Well, except that if a deal like that were being made, then why are the Gorons completely unaware of this exception and confused about being let in? They clearly know that they are male, and the simplest explanation for why they are let in is that the Gerudo just can't tell that they are men because they look like rocks - a little joke on Nintendo's part on their races' interactive experiences.

Besides, Gerudo don't seem like the type of people who are all that concerned with not being racially discriminatory - they are indeed the only group of people who make a gender discrimination as part of their law.
    • The Gerudo go out in search of voe. Voe are not allowed into town because of Gerudo Town's policy of encouraging the Gerudo to travel the world and step outside of the bounds of their hometown.

The Gorons are let in because they're not even seen as voe, or at least not the type worth pursuing. It's a bit of a cruel-spirited joke from the game as the Gorons are mostly a comic relief race.
      The joke is pushed even further with how much the Gorons are portrayed as a ridiculously hypermasculine culture, with places like "gut check rock". It's why Yunobo is such a unique character, because he just doesn't exude these macho tendencies at all.

To make a Mario allegory out of this, imagine a young Peach and Daisy in a tree hut with a "no boys allowed" sign.
      They discuss to each other how cute boys are definitely not allowed inside, as they wouldn't be able to gossip about it to each other.
      Mario and Luigi try to eavesdrop but are firmly told to leave.

The camera zooms out. Wario is just sitting there at the tree house table with a tiny cup of tea. They calmly refill his tea and continue discussing how cute Mario is. Wario's eyes start to well up.

And then Super Mario Land II happens.
    • I think the main problem with assuming present but visually indistinguishable female Gorons in Breath of the Wild is that, in stark contrast to every other group seen in the game, we don't see a single instance of Gorons displaying a kind of family unit that seems to reference parents, or any kind of romantic interest in one another or anybody else.

We see members of the others who are clearly parents or children to one another, couples, people who reference their significant others, people who display romantic longing, people who flirt (mostly with Link)... except for in the Gorons. The very closest we get is the idea that Yunobo is supposed to be descended from Daruk, but he still doesn't seem to have a living parent, so it's still ambiguous.

And then we get an example of the typically masculine coded Gorons being present in Gerudo Town, who actively mention the idea that the rules would seem to preclude them being present, and the game seems to be outright drawing attention to it (while also being coy about offering an explanation).

I suppose one could draw the assumption that Gorons have more than one biological sex, albeit with no visually apparent distinguishing characteristics, and their attitude to sexual relations is purely utilitarian and entirely unconcerned with any kind of bonding, but it seems less intuitive than what the game is telling us at face value.

Even if it still preserves the mystery of exactly how they reproduce. Maybe some kind of budding.
    • I mostly think about it as, if there's a race that only has one gender, then it's a bit wrong to keep every member of their race out. Even if they do all call each other brother. Plus these are large rock people, and the Gerudo probably don't want to make such a potentially dangerous group angry at them. even if Gorons are somewhat peaceful, they also know how to make quality weapons. And their mountain is probably the best source of ore and minerals in the kingdom. Even if they are an entire race of men, there are good reasons to make an exception for them.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
      .........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
      OoT<..............................................\____________________/
      .........MM-TP
    • I don't think the Gerudo have any particular reason to fear the Gorons. Besides being remarkably peaceful, they live on the other side of Hyrule. I can't imagine them putting together an army and marching across Hyrule Field, into Gerudo Desert to make war on them for not letting Goron travelers enter the city. And the Gerudo seem to take a certain pride in their military strength and honor, so they probably wouldn't back down easily.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Gorons have a lot of pride and honor too, though. Although there's still the issue with minerals, and the mountain is probably where bombs originate. That's just my reasoning. Gorons are usually an easy going species, but I don't think they'd take being snubbed lying down.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
      .........MM-TP
    • Probably the part where they refer to each other with masculine pronouns. No men. Unless you're a rock person.

.........MM-TP
    • ^ Maybe not so much a question of the anatomy of the male, as a question of whether or not he could be used to make little Gerudo.

If yes (or potentially yes in the case of Zoras and Rito), then they're not allowed in town.

If no, or at least almost definitely not, such as what is most likely the case for rock people who happen to use masculine pronouns, then sure. Welcome to Gerudo Town!

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • I don't really know why they don't let men in. Do we know it's so they won't try to bang any women in town, or is it something else? I mean realistically they shouldn't be able to breed with fish or birds either.

.........MM-TP
    • Hell, based on the online reactions to Riju I kind of have a headcanon that Gerudo women reach the height of a mature Hylian woman at a young age and should be protected from Hylian men who don't know any better, or worse, do.

The Goron we meet only says he likes this town full of women because it smells nice.
      The Gorons are likely allowed because they're the closest thing to being 100% masculine and 0% toxic, while the nerd with the Sand Boots is the exact opposite.

I suspect that's also why so many people who see through Link's disguise are also observant enough to know it's not worth ringing the alarm.
    • Those sound like good points to me. Yeah, Riju is a kid, and if a bunch of proplr find her hot, then that's a problem.

.........MM-TP
    • Like I might have said earlier in the thread, I think it may be a simple matter of attraction... Gorons might not be attractive to the Gerudo and/or are not attracted to the Gerudo. It might not necessarily even be a matter of breeding, but merely that attraction can lead to deep relationships which can mess with the Gerudo's numbers and their home. The Zora for example may not be able to breed with the Gerudo, but they are physically similar enough to the Hylians ('similar enough' compared to the Gorons), which could spark attraction from the Gerudo. Not to mention they might very well find the Gerudo attractive too, recall Ruto's and Mipha's interest in Link.

Whatever the case, it's odd that this was never answered in-game. Unless it's supposed to be easy to figure out.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().