Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Should Ganon take a rest from Hyrule?
    • Metalwolf wrote:

As far as the blood moons not having faces, I'm kind of glad they didn't. For one thing that broken immersion too much for me to have a real environment but have a moon with a face. Plus they' d have to explain why the moon suddenly has a face now, when in most other games outside of MM (which takes place in an alternate dimension) it didn't have one before.
      I meant it only having a face *during* the blood moon. After all, the blood moon itself is already the result of Malice/evil magic. One NPC states that it didn't happen until the Calamity 100 years ago. Having the face during that time, and only during that time, would have been a nice callback, and would make sense in the context of the game.

Metalwolf wrote:

Whelp, there's another Zelda convention Nintendo needs to break- Ganon sitting on his porcine ass until you show up on his doorstep. The world feels dynamic, and (potentially) changeable, why not have the big boss interacting with it too (outside of just the blood moons)?
      Totally agree here. I was kind of surprised in OoT that Ganondorf wasn't actively hunting you, though at least they explained it in that case, as in he was just using Link to draw Zelda out. Letting Link awaken the Sages though was definitely a tactical error on Ganondorf's part. Though, I assume he just thought the Sages weren't much of a threat.

In BoTW the Yiga *were* hunting Link, as ineffective as they were. So while Ganon was sitting on his piggy ass, his minions weren't.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Gear, by my husband, D4rkSilver
    • @Violetlight

True for the Yiga minions, although him using them really reminds me of how Cartoon!Ganon used Moblins and other creatures, even though they were total idiots. Both Ganons were true legit threats, although you wouldn't know it, because their minions kept screwing up whatever effective plans they had. This is why I think that Yiga being made idiots kind of indirectly ndermines Ganon, if Ganon is supposed to be this big terror, then it doesn't help it if they are the equivalent of clowns at a funeral.
    • Here is something; how about a game in which you could play the role of young Ganondorf?

I think that such would be a rather appealing change for Zelda fans. Something very interesting?

I am not a fan, at all, of playing the role of a bad guy; however, I believe that he was largely forced in to being evil. He basically used to be a good and decent King, right? He was simply trying to do his best to save those that he ruled over, correct?

So, what do people think about playing a character of young Ganondorf, before he became corrupt?

Just wondering,
      Tead.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tead ().

• I know it's not because he's lazy, but would it kill the devs to at least allow a Ganon that will actively try and make it harder on you? He needs to be 'allowed' to be an active agent of destruction rather then have some deus ex machina hold him back. In this way you could actively stop him. In this way the devs could design a long ranging battle that makes the environment a factor instead of just a short one on a big grassy field or courtyard. I mean, that would allow the devs to add character in the way he strategically plans against you (by seeing how he thinks) as an active opponent rather then a passive one.
    • Violetlight wrote:

I like the idea of a "timer" on how long Zelda could hold out. Maybe there could have been gameplay mechanics to buy you more time, like when you defeat a divine beast, Zelda gets X more in-game days?

A nice little analog clock at the bottom of the screen would have been a good touch too.

Is anyone else disappointed that the Blood Moon didn't have an evil grin?
      I'll take it, but on one condition: have a way to return to the first day.
    • Ganon isn't inactive. Apart from controlling the Guardians and Divine Beasts, and constructing the new body, the Hyrule Compendium entries for silver enemies note that Ganon's magic has made them stronger.

I don't think an in-game timer would be a good idea, though. The goal is clearly for the player to explore and take the game at their own pace, and a timer pressuring them to speed up would run completely against that.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Unless I've forgotten something, Breath of the WIld appears to be the only game that justifies Ganon's relative inactivity (although I'm still wondering why he just hovered around Hyrule Castle until Zelda reached him).

I think the Timer could work, if the Shrines were somehow linked to strengthening Zelda's power, so that each time you complete a shrine she has a bit longer.

I would like to see Ganondorf play an active role in his attempts to thwart Link and Zelda. In Ocarina of Time, he doesn't do so except in on or two cutscenes. Instead, he sits in his tower playing an organ until Link arrives to challenge him.

@Tead I would definitely like to see that. We're never given a lot of background to Ganondorf's character, save that he's Gerudo and power-hungry. WW was the only game that gave us some semblence of backstory.
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

Click here for the audiobook edition.

• cochramd wrote:

Violetlight wrote:

I like the idea of a "timer" on how long Zelda could hold out. Maybe there could have been gameplay mechanics to buy you more time, like when you defeat a divine beast, Zelda gets X more in-game days?

A nice little analog clock at the bottom of the screen would have been a good touch too.

Is anyone else disappointed that the Blood Moon didn't have an evil grin?
      I'll take it, but on one condition: have a way to return to the first day.
      As much as I like how Majora's Mask evolved NPCs with the three-day schedule, the timer also created a sense of anxiety that made me feel rushed, like every second I spend exploring I'm given a reminder that certain events play at certain times and the end of the cycle is drawing ever nearer. It just doesn't feel as relaxed as I like Zelda to be.

The concept of Ganon or another enemy hunting you at night sounds like an interesting idea.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Miles ().

• I think we could live with something a little more threatening than knock-apart skeletons that occasionally have strong weapons. Maybe some type of Reaper Poe or even Shadow Links. Maybe the kind of hazard you have to deal with changes depending on the phase of the moon or somesuch?

They could even try Slenderman-style jumpscares, like you're walking across the field at night and turn around only to see Dark Link standing where he wasn't a moment ago, or you turn a corner and there he is waiting for you. You know how the Dark Link in Water Temple worked? Kinda like that, only creepier because it can happen virtually anywhere, and more startling because the chord plays the instant you see him, signaling his attack. If you try to run, he might be able to jump in front of you from out of the shadows. If you defeat him, he's only banished until the next night.

It could be part of a curse the player is trying to break, requiring that you either A) take refuge in sanctuaries where Dark Link can't manifest; or B) you find a way to break the curse, stopping Dark Link from stalking you any further. Most likely the latter involves finding some temple from where he generates that forces you to face him for real.
    • Miles wrote:

I think we could live with something a little more threatening than knock-apart skeletons that occasionally have strong weapons. Maybe some type of Reaper Poe or even Shadow Links. Maybe the kind of hazard you have to deal with changes depending on the phase of the moon or somesuch?

They could even try Slenderman-style jumpscares, like you're walking across the field at night and turn around only to see Dark Link standing where he wasn't a moment ago, or you turn a corner and there he is waiting for you. You know how the Dark Link in Water Temple worked? Kinda like that, only creepier because it can happen virtually anywhere, and more startling because the chord plays the instant you see him, signaling his attack. If you try to run, he might be able to jump in front of you from out of the shadows. If you defeat him, he's only banished until the next night.

It could be part of a curse the player is trying to break, requiring that you either A) take refuge in sanctuaries where Dark Link can't manifest; or B) you find a way to break the curse, stopping Dark Link from stalking you any further. Most likely the latter involves finding some temple from where he generates that forces you to face him for real.
      That is a phenomenal idea.