Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Timeline and other interesting tidbits in Hyrule Encyclopedia
    • First post on ZU here! I got my copy of Hyrule Encyclopedia a week ago but only briefly skimmed it since I spent most of my time playing the AMAZING BotW. I finally read it yesterday, and while the majority of content is already pretty well-known thanks to Hyrule Historia and official guides, it contains some new info here and there.

I haven't see a lot of people discussing it, so I want to share some stuff that are interesting to me personally. Tbh I can only read about 60% of Japanese (knowing Chinese gives me a huge advantage on kanjis :DD ) so I put the pages from which I got the information in case I mis-translated/mis-interpretated anything.

There's no actual content about BotW in the book, but be aware of possible spoilers for all games up to TFH.

Updated and retconned timeline

LA is moved back to set immediately after ALttP, and OoX happened some time much latter with a different Link.
      Also, the banishment of Dark Interlopers happened between SS and the sealing of the Sacred Realm.

This page is about all the different Links throughout the series, again stating that OoX Link (and therefore Oracle series Zelda) is not the same one in ALttP.

Triforce

This page is an overview of Triforce's states in each game. Interestingly it states that in the Adult timeline, the Triforce is probably annihilated after WW due to the King's wish. (Seeing how the world is still in intact in PH and ST, Lorulians probably destroyed their Triforce in the wrong way lol)

Race

The race diagram shows the relationship and evolution of each race. Most of the stuff were mentioned in games and HH, except that the Wind Tribe and Kokiris were actually both evolved from Hylians, and River Zoras were Sea Zoras. And the races introduced in SS all apparently went extinct or left Hyrule by the time of MC.
      In DT, Zoras went berserk and changed into different color as Hyrule declined, gradually losing contact with Hylians and becoming "River Zoras".

The reason Kokiris look so much like Hylians is because they were Hylians. Some Hylians lived in the forest so far away from towns and cities that eventually they developed their own culture and somehow evolved into Kokiris (WTH) by the time of OoT. They won't actually die the instant they leave the forest; it's something the Old Deku Tree came up to protect them.

Geography

Nothing new here, but it's nice to see how they compare to each other in clear diagrams.

SS-OoT-TP

OoT-WW

OoT-ALttP/ALBW-LoZ-AoL

Misc.

Apparently MM hookshot takes you to the farthest. Longshot is equally long, though.

The emblem of New Hyrule is composed by King of Red Lions, pirate's swords, and the symbol of spirits of Good.

Some new concept art:

MM

OoS

MC (lol Ezlo)

SS

ALBW

TFH (I kind of wish they didn't listen to Aonuma and change them into toon Links...)

Almost all races, countries/parallel worlds, creatures, etc. have a page, so if anyone is interesting in seeing more I can take a quick pict like the above.
      It's a shame that they didn't include BotW like they did to SS in Hyrule Historia. Maybe we'll have to wait for something like that 5 years later lol?

Any thoughts on this?
    • First of all welcome to ZU!
      Second, thanks very much for all the info!

General thoughts, sucks for the mogma, parella and kikwi. I was sure the parella and kikwi became Zora and kokiri. That really is a strange origin for the kokiri, and word on how the deku tree got saddled with them? Or on the change to koroks?

Never saw that fate of the triforce in WW coming, I'm betting that'll be scrutinised!

If you're taking requests I'd like to see if there's anything interesting regarding the gerudo and Ganondorf.

Just thinking this may be better in the theories section, or maybe a separate thread should be made there.
    • While I'm not dismissing this right away, no offense to you 23PQ but since you said yourself you aren't entirely fluent in Japanese I am going to take this stuff with a grain of salt for the time being since some things might be mistranslated to an extent. That said:

OoA has Sea Zoras so I guess that decline only happened in Hyrule and not neighboring kingdoms.
      Kokiri origins is...alrighty then. I liked the idea that they were nature spirit Koroks who just took on Kokiri forms later, but canon is canon I suppose. I would guess it's less evolution and more the magic of the Lost Woods/Deku Tree/both working their magic on them.

Oracles Link once again being separate from ALttP Link, honestly I think it's kind of a shame, but it's also neither here nor there for me. Whatevs.

The Interloper's placement makes it that much more likely they're the reason Rauru sealed the temple, which I always assumed.

That Triforce thing for TWW is very interesting. I guess it kind of makes sense since Daphnes's wish was all about getting rid of Hyrule's legacy so people would stop living in the past.

Is there anything about Ikana Canyon's kingdom? Though to be honest I'm expecting there isn't, I'd love to be surprised.
      "That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

The post was edited 8 times, last by Reign ().

1. Cool. Does it say anything about what the Spirit of the Hero actually is? This thing's been barely explained. Only TP and SS give some insight as to what it is. Also may wanna ask and see if others like Shikage, Masky, The Baton of the Winds if they could translate this stuff.
    • Thanks for the info ! That's really cool.

I'm really disappointed to learn that Kokiri are just Hylians. Does the book say anything more about them ? Why are they kids ? What is their connection with the Deku tree ?

Also, if I recall correctly, Hyrule Hystoria made pretty clear that Parellas where ancestors of Zoras, so it's a shame they're not actually related. Same for Kikwis, who shared a lot of similarities with Koroks.

Cool info though, thanks again.
    • Quack the duck wrote:

Thanks for the info ! That's really cool.

I'm really disappointed to learn that Kokiri are just Hylians. Does the book say anything more about them ? Why are they kids ? What is their connection with the Deku tree ?

Also, if I recall correctly, Hyrule Hystoria made pretty clear that Parellas where ancestors of Zoras, so it's a shame they're not actually related. Same for Kikwis, who shared a lot of similarities with Koroks.

Cool info though, thanks again.
      It would have been nice to see the Kokiri developed into a culture that had a child-like appearance. The Koroks are cute and all, don't get me wrong, but I've never managed to shake off the impression that they look like some kind of bag or pillow with legs.

Which reminds me, didn't Fado or Makar basically say that the Koroks were a transformation of the Kokiri? I haven't played Windwaker in ages.
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

Click here for the audiobook edition.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Thal1989 ().

• No, Fado only talks about him being a Kokiri and Link having to search for some who inherits his blood as a new Sage.

So he says that Makar inherits his blood (like Medli does with the Zora Sage) but doesn't say anything about him being a transformation.

I think you must be mistaken with the Deku Tree who says that the Koroks originally had human forms but turned into their current form as they began to live in this environment.
      "So you will fleetingly fall apart beyond the void, huh... Alright, let us begin."
    • I apologize for double posting but I wanted to make a post regarding the information of the Hyrule Encyclopedia.

The Shadow Tribe (Interlopers) were expelled before OoT.

And Link from the Oracle games is different from Link of LA.

An interesting fact is that the Wind Tribe from MC are actually Hylians who parted towards the skies.

It also says that the Hylians had exchanges with the Piccori and the Skyians (Oocaa, was it?) which would be a race apart from the Hylians and not some Hylian degradation.

It does suggest that the Triforce was possibily destroyed after WW but it's not stated as a fact, it's a possibility.

The timeline does confirm that 4 Swords Adventures is after TP and that the Ganon there is Ganondorf reincarnated as Ganon.

It also confirms that the Triforce split after OoX and that was it was gathered again in ALBW.

Regarding the DT it merely says that the Hero of Time was defeated and that the 6 sages seal Ganon into what would become the Dark World.

The Zora section says that the Zora evolved into the Rito in the span of a century.

It also says that the Queen Zora in ALBW tried to unify the Zora but only managed to control some of them while the others turned hostile. She and her faction are described as "gentle" but they are also "a bit of a scatterbrain". And with the passage of time the hostile faction grows stronger.

Regarding the Kokiri, the whole "you die if you exit" the forest wasn't entirely true, it says that the Deku Tree can't exert its power outside the forest so the Kokiri would age outside the forest. But with the revival of the Forest Sage and the birth of the Child Deku Tree they are able to come on the outside as if freed from the cage the Lost Woods was.

If you have any more questions regarding a specific section or paragraph I will be glad to help in all I can.
      "So you will fleetingly fall apart beyond the void, huh... Alright, let us begin."
    • Yamikawa wrote:

No, Fado only talks about him being a Kokiri and Link having to search for some who inherits his blood as a new Sage.

So he says that Makar inherits his blood (like Medli does with the Zora Sage) but doesn't say anything about him being a transformation.

I think you must be mistaken with the Deku Tree who says that the Koroks originally had human forms but turned into their current form as they began to live in this environment.
      Ah, okay, I'd completely forgotten that it was the Deku Tree who mentioned that.
      "This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. This is the story of the kingdom of Hyrule, of a king who sought to control the power of the gods, and of a boy without a fairy. A boy whose struggle against the shadow became a legend, riding upon the Winds of Time..."

A novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time (Complete & Revised)

Click here for the audiobook edition.

• Honestly, if this is true I'm extremely happy. This is exactly what I kept theorizing, and hoped, was the case with the Kokiri.

I also severely disliked the theory that the Kokiri were originally Koroks. Mostly due to this ridiculous notion that the Kokiri only gained human form because of Link, it simply doesn't make any sense logically. And given the Kokiri were clearly always an illusion to Peter Pan, this seemed the most likely situation to me.

On that note, its definitely not a case of they evolved. More that they were Hylian children who were taken in by the Great Deku Tree, and his power protected them. Its likely the case that they can eventually choose to leave the forest and grow up, returning to Hylian civilization, or become Koroks. (There's potentially a limit to how long the Great Deku Tree can protect them.)

Retconning OoX makes sense, and is an interesting note. It puts OoX after LA again, and has it fix the plot hole in LBW, having the Triforce split after Ganon's incomplete resurrection. Many people noted the problem in OoX that Zelda doesn't recognize Link, so its fitting they fixed it, but I'm sure people will have problems with the fact that the existing timeline was changed. Its only a small part and an inconsistency people have noted prior, though.

Definitely getting this once it gets localized.
      deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

Chibi Avatar by RazorX5175

I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).
    • JaidynReiman wrote:

I also severely disliked the theory that the Kokiri were originally Koroks. Mostly due to this ridiculous notion that the Kokiri only gained human form because of Link, it simply doesn't make any sense logically. And given the Kokiri were clearly always an illusion to Peter Pan, this seemed the most likely situation to me.
      Oh I never thought they would have changed because of Link - after all they didn't know he wasn't one of them - I just always thought being Koroks fit the nature spirit vibe more.

With this new info, I think it'd be interesting if the Deku Tree changed them to protect them from the Lost Woods turning them into Stalfos. Though if the Deku Tree did it, it begs the question why didn't he do it to Link?
      "That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

The post was edited 1 time, last by Reign ().

• Reign wrote:

JaidynReiman wrote:

Oh I never thought they would have changed because of Link - after all they didn't know he wasn't one of them - I just always thought being Koroks fit the nature spirit vibe more.
      With this new info, I think it'd be interesting if the Deku Tree changed them to protect them from the Lost Woods turning them into Stalfos. Though if the Deku Tree did it, it begs the question why didn't he do it to Link?
      He probably could have, but he didn't because of Link's destiny. Link was destined to save Hyrule, he couldn't stay behind in the forest.

"Oh I never thought they would have changed because of Link - after all they didn't know he wasn't one of them - I just always thought being Koroks fit the nature spirit vibe more."

I didn't mean you specifically, but this is a massive, huge theory many people have stated about the Kokiri--that they only took on Hylian-like forms because of Link, which doesn't make sense when you even think about it slightly. As you said, they fully thought that Link was one of them, just without a fairy. (Except Mido, in any case.)
      deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

Chibi Avatar by RazorX5175

I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).