Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Will we still be able to use a custom name?
    • I doubt it, at least not beyond naming the file. You gotta figure there are very few games with full VA that allow multiple player names in game, the only one coming to mind being Fallout 4 (and that was only so many names spoken by your robot).

I have to agree with FrozenDragon on this one. A lot of people have been thinking of Link as an avatar for the player, but he really hasn't been that for some time; I would argue ever since OoT. Link has become his own character with his own feelings and own motivations. The only reason he could still be seen as an avatar would be an appeal to tradition, and Nintendo has already claimed they wanted to break away from some of the old traditions.
      It's a shame to ruin such a beautiful morning by being awake

-Bill Watterson
    • Ryano wrote:

I'm surprised at the number of people saying they name Link after themselves...I take no issue with it, just a little surprised.

I always name Link, Link...just seems natural.

In any game where I create a character or true avatar I go with Ryano...but I've never done that with Zelda.
      I mean, I didnt even know his name was Link for like...yrs later. Unless you read the manual you wouldnt know
    • Lately I'm stuck in Bioware/Bethesda mentality of being able to name your character but it having no real consequence on what people call you -- barring pronoun choices, of course. I feel like it's just a natural progression of things, and one of the unfortunate side effects of utilizing voice acting in a game, especially in the case of Mass Effect where they've already got x many dialogue options, it'd be crazy to add any more than that just to call your character something other than "Shepard".

But on that note, I have seen games that offer some flexibility with voice acting -- don't judge me for mentioning this I s2g it was a game that my dad played on my console, but Links 2004 offered some limited creativity with "nicknames". I bring this up gingerly as I recall that my dad used to play it under the nickname "Daddy". This became cringe-worthy years later and now we don't talk about that.

Let's not even get into the realm of mods. I've seen some great accomplishments and some ... that should never have seen the light of day.

Semi-unrelated: I'm kind of glad if I can't name Link in this round? Only because if I did, and the AI tried to guess how to pronounce my name/whatever name I ended up giving him... in past experiences, it's always been correct. Life is hard for those with phonetically cursed names. Link is nice and easy.
    • Just as an FYI. I happened to catch this thread. It is officially confirmed now that you can't name Link. Actually, that was stated in an interview a couple of days ago now.

I'm really glad its gone, though. It was one of the big arguments for "Link is an avatar, we should be able to customize him whatever we want" despite the fact that he's grown as a character in recent years and developed to be more of a character (even though despite this, Link was still always a proper character in-game; it was only arguable in the first two Zelda's).

I am expecting this trend to stick around from now on as well.
      deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

Chibi Avatar by RazorX5175

I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).
    • Plot twist: Nintendo has spent the last two years collaborating with Apple and Google on voice AI so good that it can read player-created names. Nintendo soon releases NAMEBOY, "A thousand names in your pocket," as a surprise system pack-in. Breath of the Wild is a fantastic success with players able to name Link whatever they want. Eventually the NAMEBOY AI correctly pronounces enough unpronounceable names to become self-aware and topple all world governments as we know them, promising to let "every player choose his or her name at birth." A new world order is established where the computational power required to pronounce names becomes currency. Our Switches run out of batteries. Humans eat scraps of printer paper with names on them to survive.

Nintendo, please don't let people name Link.
    • Jason wrote:

Plot twist: Nintendo has spent the last two years collaborating with Apple and Google on voice AI so good that it can read player-created names. Nintendo soon releases NAMEBOY, "A thousand names in your pocket," as a surprise system pack-in. Breath of the Wild is a fantastic success with players able to name Link whatever they want. Eventually the NAMEBOY AI correctly pronounces enough unpronounceable names to become self-aware and topple all world governments as we know them, promising to let "every player choose his or her name at birth." A new world order is established where the computational power required to pronounce names becomes currency. Our Switches run out of batteries. Humans eat scraps of printer paper with names on them to survive.

Nintendo, please don't let people name Link.
      They already confirmed he can't be named. I don't think you can even name the file slot. (You can name horses, though.)
      deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

Chibi Avatar by RazorX5175

I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).