Pinned
    Favorite Zelda Gameplay Elements
    • What are your favorite Zelda gameplay elements? 42
        Exploration (31) 74%
        Combat (11) 26%
        Puzzle-solving (19) 45%
        Others (Specify) (3) 7%
      Hello, everyone.

Gonna go straight to the point, I've seen debates over this and I'd like to perform a little data-gathering on the subject.

As you know, Zelda gameplay is varied, being an Action-Adventure franchise with elements from other genres, yet there are elements that are given more attention, namely the following:

• Exploration: as the name indicates, to explore, to search, to interact with and discover areas, items, characters and even side stories and more on the game world.
      • Combat: to use abilities, items and player skills to fight off opponents of varied sizes, strengths and forms as well as find new, different ways to interact with them during battle.
      • Puzzle-solving: the usage of the aforementioned abilities, items and skills to solve problems in order to advance both in and out of dungeons.
      There are also other, less focused-on elements that may or may not overlap to some degree with the above elements like stealth, minigames, trading sequences and such, the "Others" category is for these, but please specify which kind you refer to.

I'm intrigued by your opinions on this, I'd be happy to hear them :3

The post was edited 1 time, last by FroyoClaus ().

• jalo wrote:

Exploration and combat for me. I don't care about puzzles or dungeons those are more like a nuisance to me.
      I agree on exploration and combat, but wouldn't go that far on the puzzle- and dungeons-one. A well designed-dungeon means a lot to me and can increase the experience. But on the other hand puzzles/dungeons can get annoying sometimes if done poorly. When I was a kid I always looked forward to the Spirit Temple and Shadow Temple, but on the other hand dungeons like inside the Jabu Jabu and the Water Temple was just frustrationg/boring and was always happy when I got past them. It is seldom I actually appreciate water dungeons. Also forest dungeons feels quite boring. If the rumor is correct that we only will get four true dungeons in BotW, let's hope that no one of them will be a forest or water temple haha.

And even though this is not a gameplay-element... I still want to stress how important the music is in Zelda. That was my biggest initial negativ feeling toward BotW when I realized the dead silence on the Plateau. Other than that it is very sparse background music like in the icy and deserty area, and can imagine that that will be the case in the whole overworld. Therefore I really hope for a change in the villages/towns for example. Music is really important to me and don't want minimal music only.
    • Yes indeed, many puzzles were quite fun the first time I played the games. But then eventually replaying they were getting on my way slowing down my progress and enjoyment of the game. In addition to the hours of scripted scenes, linear progress steps and intros and such, it eventually turned my enjoyment into boredom and frustration. When I know exactly what to do to progress it starts to feel like a waste of time.

Music is definately one of the most important things that made me like Zelda in the first place. Nowadays when I replay I mostly just wander around the field listening to the music and memorizing my nostalgic experiences with the game.
    • After lots of reconsideration, I got to the conclusion that I favor combat and puzzles over exploration and miscellaneous elements.

I do enjoy finding content on the world at my own pace, as well as take environmental cues to find hidden collectibles, but for the most part I prefer reaching locations as the game and plot want me to reach them.

Meanwhile, combat and puzzles favor reaction speed, creative thinking, experimentation and thought, the former especially so. The general idea of having more tools to utilize and experiment with as I progress through the game, and even on future plays, and learning enemy behavior just clicks with me :P
    • puzzles in Zelda games just do not get any tougher than any other puzzle you get in Prince of Persia Sands of Time, which is saying a lot because Sands of Time is less puzzle solving and more obstacle course running. when players say 'puzzles' is what makes Zelda it is like they want Zelda to become a Crash Bandicoot or Mario game, obstacle course simulator. and the better puzzles in Zelda came from Oracle of Ages, which also says something since that is a long time ago.

unlike what you may think, puzzle solving is more like backflipping from a bomb flower ledge to reach a heart piece without a magic bean, and unlike hitting a switch in a room because there is only one giant switch in the room to see and touch, that is just an obstacle course, you are not training your brain as hard as you think you are.

for that reason, and because Nintendo has reasons to keep the 'puzzles' simple: 10 year old boys, when i see players demanding a puzzle focused Zelda it is like asking Nintendo to swim against the current, no matter what they do they will not achieve much trying to satisfy both sides. their best choice is to ignore one side and push the other to extremes, tough puzzles and tough love for the kiddies, or simple puzzles (as it is right now) and extreme levels of everything else.
    • FrozenDragon wrote:

The general idea of having more tools to utilize and experiment with as I progress through the game
      This reminds me of something I forgot to mention, I always enjoy finding the items/tools like the Gust Jar, Hookshot, etc. It's especially fun on the first run when you don't really know what you're going to find and you get to experiment.

Caliber70 wrote:

puzzles in Zelda games just do not get any tougher than any other puzzle you get in Prince of Persia Sands of Time, which is saying a lot because Sands of Time is less puzzle solving and more obstacle course running. when players say 'puzzles' is what makes Zelda it is like they want Zelda to become a Crash Bandicoot or Mario game, obstacle course simulator. and the better puzzles in Zelda came from Oracle of Ages, which also says something since that is a long time ago.

unlike what you may think, puzzle solving is more like backflipping from a bomb flower ledge to reach a heart piece without a magic bean, and unlike hitting a switch in a room because there is only one giant switch in the room to see and touch, that is just an obstacle course, you are not training your brain as hard as you think you are.

for that reason, and because Nintendo has reasons to keep the 'puzzles' simple: 10 year old boys, when i see players demanding a puzzle focused Zelda it is like asking Nintendo to swim against the current, no matter what they do they will not achieve much trying to satisfy both sides. their best choice is to ignore one side and push the other to extremes, tough puzzles and tough love for the kiddies, or simple puzzles (as it is right now) and extreme levels of everything else.
      I agree that puzzles can be tedious when they just feel like obstacle courses. You just go through the motions and it kind of feels mind-numbing.

The post was edited 3 times, last by ich Will ().

• Puzzle and dungeons it what really makes a Zelda game a Zelda game. When I think of Zelda out side of its music and story the first thing I think of is its dungeons. Exploration I don't care about much at all and really when I am playing Zelda games most of the time I am just thinking I wonder how much longer before I get to the next dungeon? But I do think it will be great to explore in BOTW because I think just climbing up high and looking out towards the land is going to be awesome with how you can climb ever where and with how big the land is going to be. Combat I would put less then dungeons but more then explorations because part of combat is fighting boss in dungeons and some of the bosses in Zelda games are just awesome.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zeldaisthebest! ().

• Actually, look at my post even further down below, it hits the nail in summarizing what I want.

The following is out-of-date thoughts~
      Display Spoiler
      Collecting and using unique items, interacting with NPCs and every object and trigger that looks interesting, everything's a possibility to try in Hyrule. Finding clues and discovering little stories and contexts everywhere, stories that feel like they happen specially on their own even without you. The world takes a life of its own magical character, all its discoverable NPCs and unique areas to come back to, to try new things with. How everything you do throughout the world ties into one: NPCs know each other and quests effect other quests--the world is one.

How everything in Hyrule has that special magical personality, the iconicism of exploration where each unique task is remembered by its location, time, or context. How the game doesn't tell you what's in it, the point of playing is to go out and find that yourself. The triggers are everywhere, you just need to learn to go for them and think for yourself. Don't let the game be unfolded by scenes and tasks, but unfold the game's adventures, scenes and happenings as your own personal life and adventure. It is so much more rewarding.

That the point of the game isn't to progress to the end, but to discover all it has to offer. How you don't even know you're in a quest, but you are. It all just flows in this beautiful open world character. The world is alive. Be open and free to this dream of a place you get one chance to experience new, it is pure adventure and living in Hyrule. Don't rely on guidance as much as making your own personal tale and adventure of it, doing what you'd like to try. You are Link and this is your dream gameworld and kind of gameplay.

Hidden context and depth is everywhere you go, it's there but you need to look closer. Take the time to live in Hyrule for a while. :} That latter sentence just makes me the most happy.

This is true Zelda, to me.
      I feel like so many people don't know how to explain what makes Zelda great because it takes too many words to cover all the different elements the game captures. When you merely say "combat" or "exploration," it is just too simplistic, it comes across like a PS4 game instead of Zelda's greatness and potential to be what it was meant to be. Zelda to me was always a game about exploration being fused with puzzles at the same time, "puzzle exploration"--you have an arsenal of items and a big world full of possibilities to unfold and discover.

I always thought the Zelda games with separate times had something gold in this. "Do something in the dark age, and watch it effect the light age." "Plant a tree in the fall, and see it emerge in spring." These are exploration puzzles. You're first-and-foremost dealing with an epic land, everything flows in this land as discovery and interactivity. "Characters have schedules depending on day 1 or day 3, or they become altered." The world is alive and autonomous. Simply use your imagination to live and breathe in it.

Zelda as a game, while being many things, is a personal adventure world for you to make your own, to unfold the depths of using your mind, will, and arsenal. I just wish others would not attempt so much to summarize Zelda along the same definition as other Action-Adventure games, when it is so much different and better. It is a game which has utilized so many interesting items, musical instruments, odd and whimsical NPC personalities, with a fantasy so unlike any other game world.

The post was edited 168 times, last by guest_15468 ().

• If I could narrow it down to one, I'd say exploration. But ven I say exploration, it's all about Link's arsenal and ability to explore. It's the kind of exploration where you're like, "l o o k a t a l l these crazy tools/items I have ok--Let's go everywhere and try everything with them, Blow this up, found a cool cliff hookshot up to it k, wow a tool I've never in my life imagined in a Zelda game, am I flying? mess with this NPC in 90 different ways to see if I can yield a different result (he has a weird schedule <_< ) I'm just going to dig around these hills with my shovel for a bit, like a dog rite now, look away pls. And btw, I planted this random tree 100 years ago and now climBing et to see what's in this cliff. Ah a dungeon... Strange platforms here, maybe I need a different item. Nope, just needed to talk to that witch at the swamp and she gave me a clue." and even "Ahh this boss freakin scares me, I'm leaving this place and never coming back!" which is possible. It's all in the exploration and gameplay mechanics. With all the cool items, NPC schedules, stories and secrets they can think up, the exploration possibilities can only get richer and richer .

The post was edited 9 times, last by guest_15468 ().