Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Movie
    Marvel Cinematic Universe: Wakanda Forever
    • I saw IW two nights ago and all in all I loved it. I had some issues, but like, I talked about it on discord somewhere and don't really wanna go repeating myself lol.

That said, will do some theorising for possible IW2 stuff! So possible spoilers if you wanna avoid people guessing shit???

Display Spoiler
      So my theory has a buncha holes lmao but my guess iisssss

When Strange said there was only one outcome where they win, that meant he had to save Stark bc sometime in the next movie, we're going to revisit that scene where Thanos almost kills Stark, but actually goes through with it. My guess is that moment where Thanos says "I hope they remember you" and almost kills Tony, is actually pivotal to changing the outcome for everything that follows afterward. So when Strange said, before vanishing, "there was no other way" he actually means he knows his choice would eventually end with Stark's death, bc he was going through with what he said about picking the Infinity Stone before Stark's life.

So obv lotsa holes, like how does this change anything. Why this one moment. Why not just let Stark die then (my guess is other things need to happen first or something idk) Idfk lmao. I haven't figured that out yet xD

I feel like that scene was set up to be a proper hero-death scene? But it was halted, and there were double-meanings behind Strange's actions. So my guess is in the end, most people will come back, but it'll be at the cost of Iron Man's life.

TADA, THAT'S MY THEORY lmao

The post was edited 2 times, last by Malia ().

• random thing i enjoyed v much in the movie

Display Spoiler
      shout out to ebony maw who is now my fave evil underling in a marvel movie. i was honestly looking forward to seeing glaive and proxima, but creepy preacher squidward telekinesis guy blew them away. i was "awh boo" when he died early on lol, tho admittedly that was a p cool/funny death xD, but maw was legit one of my fave not-main-evil-d00dz in a marvel movie
    • Sabbo wrote:

Display Spoiler
      The Doylist in me says no. We know multiple of the dead characters will have sequel movies in the future, so these characters at least cannot be permadead. This is why I have a prediction that it is the dusted people who will come back.

Display Spoiler
      Just to be sure, how many do have confirmed sequels? I know of a few, but I can see how they could 'fix' those:
      - GotG3: the 'old' Guardians got back together, there's the tease of Adam Warlock. Maybe that's enough for a new style of movie.
      - Spider-Man: SONY always said that their Spider-Man movies take place in their own universe. Perhaps Spidey is dead in the MCU, but alive in the SMU?
      - Black Panther: in the comics, Shuri takes over as the Black Panther and the queen of Wakanda, right?
      Any I missed?
      Still, I realized that it's a very drastic move. The logical explanation is that Dr. Strange put a plan into motion and we'll see how it works out in the next movie.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Canyarion wrote:

Sabbo wrote:

Display Spoiler
      The Doylist in me says no. We know multiple of the dead characters will have sequel movies in the future, so these characters at least cannot be permadead. This is why I have a prediction that it is the dusted people who will come back.

Display Spoiler
      Just to be sure, how many do have confirmed sequels? I know of a few, but I can see how they could 'fix' those:- GotG3: the 'old' Guardians got back together, there's the tease of Adam Warlock. Maybe that's enough for a new style of movie.
      - Spider-Man: SONY always said that their Spider-Man movies take place in their own universe. Perhaps Spidey is dead in the MCU, but alive in the SMU?
      - Black Panther: in the comics, Shuri takes over as the Black Panther and the queen of Wakanda, right?
      Any I missed?
      Still, I realized that it's a very drastic move. The logical explanation is that Dr. Strange put a plan into motion and we'll see how it works out in the next movie.

Display Spoiler

I quickly want to add a bit on that.
      Several of the stars contracts will expire with the Infinity War Pt2 (not actual name btw), including Chris Evans (Captain America), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk), Rober Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow) and Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye).

Black Widow will continue since they recently found a director for her stand alone movie, but Thor and Cap has said they are out and don’t wanna any more.

Also, the upcoming movies of Antman/Wasp and Cap Marvel will be set before Infinity War takes place.
      As for Spidy Homecoming Pt2, Tom Holland is in the rooster for the movie, but Robert Downey Jr is not.

There has been talk of a second Dr Strange movie, the villain is set if it is green lit. Would be odd if there is no Dr Strange.

Reactions to the movie: (spoilers)

Display Spoiler

Omigawd! It was awesome! *o*
      But whyyy a two parter? Whyyyyyyy?

You guys have already mentioned so many of the stuff that was good, so I’ll cherry pick some stuff I wasn’t expecting:

Pretty kewl that we got to see where Red Skull ended up. A bit unexpected, and not nearly enough fleshed it for my liking, but pretty kewl.

I liked Thanos more than I was expecting I would like him. Good character development, especially between him and Gamora.

Regarding the next movie, and Segway between the two movies:

I agree with that the good Doctor has a plan, but I think Thanos will have a mental breakdown from the loss of his daughter and/or lack of a goal and/or the "unbiased" picking process picked "wrong".
      He will turn back time (had Cher done the same?) and stop himself, it is a little depending on how far back he will turn back time tho...
      ... Maybe after some gentle persuasion from the remaining Avengers or other entities in the universe that has a problem with his picking.

Another thought about the next movie

It was unbiased balanced picking, powerful, weak, rich or poor didn’t matter.
      Could it pick "wrong"?
      Like, could it wipe out all the good guys and spare all the bad guys?
      Will the next movie start out some years later, in a world run by baddies?
    • Display Spoiler
      The snap deaths are a stroke of brilliant writing. No, they're not dead. All of the snap deaths will definitely be undone. The reason they 'died' is because they're all the characters who can't die. They;'re just developing their own franchises or they're contracted to do more films.

The people who are left are the people who can die, who's contracts haven't been publicly signed who's films havent' been announced. They proved in this film they'll kill people off, and iw2 gives them free reign to kill anyone or possibly even everyone.
    • Display Spoiler
      The fun thing was, me and some friends did predictions about who would die. I said Iron Man and maybe Captain America. They made fun of me, especially after the movie ended. But I still believe I'll be right after movie 2.

Speaking of Iron Man, what do you guys make of his opening scene about having a baby? Will that have a deeper meaning, when he'll need to be succeeded after IW2? Will Pepper turn out to be pregnant after all?

Oh and I read this interview with the director or something about Hawkeye. For the first Avengers, people were making fun of him being on the poster of the movie, as 'just' a guy with a bow. Now, people were upset that he wasn't on the poster. People have learned to appreciate him (me included!).
      He said that Hawkeye has this long story arc that started in Civil War (where he retired). He said we need to be patient to see how it ends. So I'm expecting that for IW2, his wife and kids were killed by the Snap and he's rejoining the Avengers.

Aaaand that makes me wonder: all the heroes that turned to dust, won't they feature in IW2 until the Snap is undone? Like... was this their way of making a movie without all these expensive actors like Chris Pratt?
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Display Spoiler

Keith wrote:

contracted to do more films
      Felicity Jones was contracted for a sequel! I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but I do think that this is something to consider.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• Display Spoiler
      I just saw the movie like an hour and a half ago, and one of my first questions to my comic-nerd bf was, "Why was Spider-Man so dramatic about 'dying' when everyone else just kinda disappeared?"

He was like, "Maybe it's because he's younger or something so he felt it more. I dunno."

It just hit me that his spider-sense was probably going crazy telling him he's about to die and he has some healing abilities so his body was fighting it longer. He didn't get to just disappear like everyone else did - he had to suffer through it. :(
    • Infinity War.

Display Spoiler

It was pretty good.

My main criticism is a continuity issue. In the first Avengers film, Thanos sent Loki to Earth to retrieve the Tesseract and open a portal to allow the Chitauri to come through a slowly widening portal to attack the Earth. Why bother with that when he can and later does just show up with a spaceship? He already had the Mind Stone and he lost it on this weird half-hearted venture. Someone I know in real life suggested that it actually took that long for the ships to reach Earth, but we really have no indication of travel time in this universe.

My other criticism is that the movie may have sacrificed character continuity for the sake of thematic contrast. Thanos' mindset is all about sacrificing some people for the greater good. The heroes contrast that with their "We don't trade lives" attitude. Loki gives up the Tesseract for Thor, Gamora gives up the Soul Stone for Nebula, Strange gives up the Time Stone for Iron Man, Eitri gave Thanos the Infinity Gauntlet in exchange for his people's lives and Captain America and the Avengers try to save Vision instead instead of destroying the Mind Stone right away.

(Interesting that Wanda was the only one willing to take that still and kill someone she loved for the greater good.)

(Also, why did Thanos kill all but one of the dwarves instead of just half?)

But most of those scenes seem a bit off. Given that Loki has already served Thanos in the past, it seems more in-character for him to turn the Tesseract over immediately, claim victory in his mission to retrieve it, claim to have also killed Odin and destroyed Asgard by way of over-achieving and then focused on surviving long enough to run away later.

Thanos could have still had his moment by just saying "I don't believe you" and killing him without waiting for Loki to immediately betray him.

Would Gamora really give up the Soul Stone for Nebula's sake? Seems like abnormally bad decision-making for her.

Dr. Strange gets a pass for now, because he seems to have something else in mind.

But neither of those thoughts ruined the movie for it. The action was fun, Thanos was surprisingly 3-dimensional as a character, and his underlings were all more interesting than I'd expected, without overshadowing anyone who really mattered. I was pleasantly surprised a few times, and the ending was very well done, and I do love a good death scene or ten. Of course I don't expect any of those people to stay dead. I'm curious whether Vision, Gamora, Loki, and Heimdell (and Valkerie and Kork and Miek I guess?) will stay dead. They fact that they dusted Quill and Wanda makes me think those two might still have mourning to do after they come back to life and Gamora and Vision do not. Can't say I'd be happy with Vision dying, though, especially since he was crippled for this entire movie. It feels like he's never really had his chance to shine. But then, I wasn't happy with Pietro dying either. The MCU seems content to treat that little group as side characters.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Display Spoiler
      Thanos is cautious in the early movies because once he starts making waves on planets that actually matter, the Galaxy will unite against him. The Russos describe the movie as a “smash n grab heist” because once he attacks Xandar, he starts a ticking clock until the Kree/Skrulls/etc unite to take him down. Sending an invasion fleet to Earth would have to go through open space, but using a portal is like sneaking through a back door, which might not alarm everyone and therefore not start the timer.

In Infinity War he only starts making his major plays once he’s figured out how to get the last Infinity Stone: Nebula attacks him and he finds out Gamora knows where it is. So to get the Soul Stone he needs Gamora. She’s mobile so he can’t find her, but if he makes enough waves he can lure HER to HIM. So he starts stealing stones, then goes to the Collector, steals the Reality Stone, masks the carnage and makes it look like the Collector’s fine, and then waits for her to show up trying to get the Reality Stone first, because he knows she’ll try and stop him.

MY continuity issue is: if Thanos attacked Nidavellir to get the “dwarves” to make him a gauntlet... where did the gauntlet from the AoU post-credits scene come from? Was that a flash-forward like GotGv2’s Teen Groot?
    • Display Spoiler

That does make sense. I got a definite "ticking clock" impression from Thanos' plan, that he didn't go after any one stone until he was confident he could get them all. But at the same time, this movie (and to an extent the first Guardians) make it seem like Thanos has been a semi-genocidal warlord for decades, which has to carry a risk of drawing too much attention to himself as well. But maybe he can be known as "just" a semi-genocidal warlord and the major powers don't mind so long he doesn't have the power to threaten them. The lack of giant spaceships going to Earth would make it easier to go unnoticed by people like the Kree, so I guess I can't argue with that.

That's interesting about Nebula being the one to get Thanos to finally act in force. I was thinking it was probably the events of Ragnarok. Before Asgard basically imploded, getting the Tesseract by force would have required a massive investment of resources. I guess he was just lucky that the Soul Stone was discovered and the Tesseract made vulnerable at so nearly the same time.

I was wondering about the gauntlet, too. If I remember correctly, it's said in Ragnarok that under Loki's rule, Asgard hadn't been keeping watch of neighboring powers very well and hadn't responded while their enemies rose up against them. It's possible that Thanos' attack on Nidavellir happened at that time, instead of after Asgard was destroyed. But having someone build a gauntlet capable of using the Infinity Stones would risk setting off that ticking clock as well, so I don't know. The one is Asgard's vault was already retconed as fake, maybe Thanos' first gauntlet was fake, too.

Oh, and I forgot earlier that Quill was also willing to sacrifice someone he loved to prevent Thanos from winning, so Wanda wasn't the only one.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • I liked how the trailers once again made us believe incorrect things.
      Display Spoiler

• I thought the ring-shaped ship was a portal that Thanos used to step into New York.
      • Thanos never used the "Fun isn't something someone considers when balancing the universe"-line, did he?
      • Vision doesn't lose his Stone in the scene that they showed.
      • It was Banner in the Veronica suit, not Iron Man.
      • The Hulk was never in the final battle, unlike the trailer showed.
      • The Guardians of the Galaxy were not so friendly towards Thor as the trailer suggested.
      • It wasn't Iron Man and Gamora talking together about Thanos.
      • Was "We have what Thanos wants, so that's what we'll use" in the movie?
      • It wasn't much of a shield that Captain America used, was it? "Get this man a shield" felt pretty stupid, when he showed up with 2... pointy smash thingies on his arms?
      • Speaking of the Cap, his role in this movie is tiny. Not that I mind, but the trailer made him seem pretty important.
      • Some other trailers have the Wakandans chanting "We won't bend"; I don't remember that being in the movie (and I'm glad too, as it gets really annoying). [/spoiler]

The post was edited 2 times, last by Canyarion ().

• I haven't seen IW (and don't think I will tbh, I thought the first Avengers was boring and 90% of modern superhero films are generic crap–why am I even in this thread, good question).

But all the kids online have been spoiling it everywhere, not that I mind in this case. But this interview from July 2017 is pretty hilarious now

Mark looks like such an amateur next to Don