Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Movie
    Marvel Cinematic Universe: On Your Left
    • Infinity War is...fine.

Display Spoiler

I've been dancing around (or maybe outright stating, can't really remember what I've written or said about all 18 previous movies) the fact that the MCU has increasingly been embracing a comic-book style of story-telling. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing - comic books can be really great! But there's a lot inherent to the format that keeps them from achieving their true potential, especially in the realm of on-going superhero stories. And especially when the "micro" storylines of individual series get sidelined or overwritten by big crossover events. Like Infinity War.

Because Infinity War, more than any other big MCU crossover so far, feels like one of those big events. Where the threat and the fight and the "yay look at all these great team-ups we've been waiting for" are all that matters and everything else like theme and character motivation/psychology and narrative mostly take a backseat. They aren't absent, and maybe a movie that has to juggle as much as Infinity War should get some credit for the effort and attempts it makes - but the end product still doesn't end up with a whole lot of juice.

So it's popcorn - nothing wrong with popcorn, so long as you weren't expecting a meal. It's watching very charismatic actors be very charismatic together. It's some pretty decent action sequences across the board. It's a mile-a-minute blockbuster that should earn the editors who worked on it big bonuses cause it could have been a horrible mess and it wasn't. But given how a couple of the most recent MCU installments have been flexing their thematic muscles more, telling some self-contained stories that give their characters some new notes to play - it's a bit of a letdown that Infinity War hits backspace or reset on those.
    • Display Spoiler

One piece of character work that I did appreciate, especially from a crossover of this magnititude, was slowing down to recognize all the loss Thor has faced recently. Ragnarok saw him lose everything and almost everyone that mattered to him, and he didn't really seem to care. I recall him mourning Odin and being mildly upset about Mjolnir, but the rest of Asgard isn't treated like it matters at all. Infinity War maintains that as a character trait -- Thor has tunnel vision for whatever mission he has to accomplish at the moment, and the way he says of Loki (I'm probably getting the quote wrong) "He's been dead before. I think it might really be true this time," bespeaks a certain numbness to the pain of loss that serves as a good excuse for the refusal to acknowledge it for most of Ragnarok.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Galedeep wrote:

Infinity War is...fine.

Display Spoiler

I've been dancing around (or maybe outright stating, can't really remember what I've written or said about all 18 previous movies) the fact that the MCU has increasingly been embracing a comic-book style of story-telling. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing - comic books can be really great! But there's a lot inherent to the format that keeps them from achieving their true potential, especially in the realm of on-going superhero stories. And especially when the "micro" storylines of individual series get sidelined or overwritten by big crossover events. Like Infinity War.

Because Infinity War, more than any other big MCU crossover so far, feels like one of those big events. Where the threat and the fight and the "yay look at all these great team-ups we've been waiting for" are all that matters and everything else like theme and character motivation/psychology and narrative mostly take a backseat. They aren't absent, and maybe a movie that has to juggle as much as Infinity War should get some credit for the effort and attempts it makes - but the end product still doesn't end up with a whole lot of juice.

So it's popcorn - nothing wrong with popcorn, so long as you weren't expecting a meal. It's watching very charismatic actors be very charismatic together. It's some pretty decent action sequences across the board. It's a mile-a-minute blockbuster that should earn the editors who worked on it big bonuses cause it could have been a horrible mess and it wasn't. But given how a couple of the most recent MCU installments have been flexing their thematic muscles more, telling some self-contained stories that give their characters some new notes to play - it's a bit of a letdown that Infinity War hits backspace or reset on those.

I was literally expecting a popcorn movie where I could turn my brain off. I think there's a very different "thing" the Marvel Studios creations are going for. A great comparison is to that of the Dark Knight Nolan trilogy. The latter was much more grounded in its action as each scene, though definitely crafted at times to satisfy your craving for action (they were superhero movies after all), were not the meat of the movie. That trilogy was filled with deeper themes, even detailed criticisms of political events and topics like the Bush administration.
    • Got to see IW for my anniversary and really enjoyed it.
      Display Spoiler
      Never thought I'd be able to say it but somebody finally outdid Majors and his pulling down the moon. (Technically the Yuzhan Van did it in Star Wars but that's Legends now. Anyone have a good roundup of who we know is still alive at the end?

Will be interested to see how this affects Agents of SHIELD but since they've all but given up keeping the show part of the mivieverse it'll probably be ignored. >_>
      Display Spoiler
      Though IW2 could resurrect Coulson for the movie verse...?
    • Darth_Phoenix wrote:

Will be interested to see how this affects Agents of SHIELD but since they've all but given up keeping the show part of the mivieverse it'll probably be ignored. >_>
      If you wanna know...

They acknowledge that something is attacking New York and there's an outsized threat, but otherwise SHIELD ignores Infinity War. The snap has no noted impact.

That said, this past season had a lot of stuff about multiple timelines and the future being altered so SHIELD could have just split off into its own timeline where the snap doesn't happen. Or they finally split for good from the movies - since there's only one shortened season left I wouldn't expect them to try to line them up again.
    • So I’ve finished six episodes of Luke Cage Season 2 so far, and so far they’re fitting a ton of story into every episode.

Display Spoiler

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that Shades and Comanche were lovers in prison, as it’s pretty realistic. It really adds an extra layer of complexity to Comanche’s betrayal, and dare I say it: Shades and Mariah seem to genuinely want to go legit. Shades wants it for selfish reasons (not having to worry about getting iced would be nice), but Mariah seems to even have relatively noble reasons - she was born into crime, it’s in her blood, and she wants to go legit so that it can have a positive ending. She seems to genuinely believe that she can use the money to benefit the community, and that every powerful family in America has blood in its history. She’d be happy for Tilda to be the first generation of the Stokes family to not have blood on her hands, so that the family can have a bright future. That seems to be what Mariah believes so far, anyway.

Obviously the war with Bushmaster will make her realise that vendettas don’t have expiration dates, and the family will always need illicit power in order to protect itself. I just hope Tilda doesn’t have to die for her to come to that conclusion.

I think that the argument between Luke and Claire came across a bit contrived and forced. Claire seemed to push harder on that than she realistically would.

That aside, I’m liking this season.

PS - The abundance of reggae is pretty cool too. Though I’ve had to put on subtitles to understand the Yardie dialogue. Bushmaster is pretty fuckin cool, and I like the contrast between his fighting style and Luke’s. The choreography has a logical flow to it where Luke wordlessly and expositionlessly makes rapid tactical decisions that just FEEL right. He wears Bushmaster down and wins through superior stamina. Or rather, almost wins.

I think I’ll watch another episode.

EDIT: OMG that intro to Episode 10!!!

Display Spoiler

“DRACARYS!!!” ROFLMFAO that’s the best ever

The post was edited 1 time, last by ibLeo ().

• Just went to the premier for Ant-Man and the Wasp.
      It was truly awesome!

If you liked a certain supportive friend from the first movie you are in for a treat. ;)

Edit' oh right, almost forgot.
      There is two post credit scenes.
      One after the fun credits and another after the full credits.
      The second one is important but not canonically speakeing. Just spiritually.
      Signature made by Sólsetur

The post was edited 1 time, last by HollowmanOfEoL ().

• Just got back from Ant Man/Wasp, and I agree, Luis was hilarious. Kate Austen kicked ass too.

Big spoiler

I'm glad that Ghost will still be around and it was stated she needed healing energy in the credits. Means we might get to see her be a badass again. Overall, the story was good and had a great feel good ending minus the obvious credits.

I'm glad that the supporting characters had quite a bit of screen time alongside Ant/Wasp. Every character brought value to the movie.