Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Serious
    [Gloomy Thread] Got the blues? Post about it here.

• Poor souls, every one of us. This world we live in just isn't always as fair as one would like...everywhere you look, good things happen to bad people all the time and bad things happen to good people all the time. Every now and then there's even those cases where you just gotta wake up and smell the coffee, realize that even though you tried your best, that didn't mean things were guaranteed to go your way. However, and to quote Captain Jean-Luc Picard, "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life." So, has life got you down for one reason or another, either due to things you could or couldn't exactly help? If so, then you've come to the right place, my friend.

Welcome to the gloomy corner of ZU, here you can post about all the sad things life may bring your way. Big or small, just whatever it is that's got you down in the dumps, and I'd like to request that members please remain respectful and as serious as possible while in here. This thread is intended to be a place for people to post about what legitimately makes them sad after all, the nature of some posts are liable to be more personal or serious when compared to others. On that note, if you by chance may have any advice or best wishes for a person, it's of course suggested that anything that may develop into a longer discussion be taken to VM or PM. With that all said, I hope anybody reading this can enjoy the rest of their day/afternoon/night, life's rough.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Lord Vain ().

• You called? Being gloomy is kind of my specialty. In fact, it's the only thing I'm good at!

Seriously, though (and this is probably a discussion for another topic, sorry), I've been feeling very lonely, for a long time now. I was hoping that maybe I would find someone when I left my dreadful overnight job and went back to college. But so far... Nothing. I don't know why I expected things to be different. I've had many years in college, and only ever once dated someone.

That someone I really loved. It took a long time to get over her. And then a few years ago, we began talking again. I was happy, because I had yet to find anyone else that was even special to me. I thought she fell back in love, but in a very long, drawn-out process of twoish years, it fell through and now she won't even talk to me. I do not have even the slightest clue as to why. But I don't even care anymore. I don't think too highly of myself, but I know I deserve better than that.

The problem with this is, so many years (we're talking nearly eight) have passed since I had any experience whatsoever dating. I don't even know how to handle this. I'm not putting myself up for online dating. I have high standards for people I date, and by that, I mean, I can't truthfully fall for someone unless we were friends or knew each other very well before. Relationships based on immediate attraction are not something I'm familiar with it, and don't feel right to me. (becoming friends with someone I'm already attracted to is a no-go, that's not genuine)

I wonder if, at this point, I'm only hurting myself by not being more open.

Sorry, as I said, this is probably for another topic, but it is why I'm gloomy!
    • I had an utterly soul crushing experience earlier; so egregious was this transgression that it has taken many tips of my fedora to restore my euphoria to a point where I could even bring myself to share my shameful experience here. For, earlier, I was walking up to a fine establishment to buy more dorites and mtn dew, when I saw before me a gentlesir as erudite as I hold the door for a lady. Mentally I applauded the sophistication of this man, for so many cretins would not have dared risked straining their uncultured minds to set upon such a task. However, as I approached and tipped by fedora ever so subtly so as to let the lady know that I was to enter after her, she didn't hold the door for me!. I was gravely taken aback by this action. Could not m'lady see that as egalitarian such as I would have done the same for anyone, and why not she could hold it for me just as I would for her? I attempted to beseech an answer to this travesty, but found only the friendzone. I must now deal with the creeping malaise my anguish at this horribly awful transpiration has wrought upon me.

• I'm in a terrible mood today because--ok. Context first. Where I live, we got hit by those emerald ash borers. Well, a street in my neighborhood had some sort of ash lining the streets as the city trees or whatever they're called and they all got wiped out a few years ago. But like, these trees, their trunks died because the ash borers destroyed their inner vascular system and blah. but their roots were still alive so like before the trees got removed they had like a bunch of suckers growing off the roots surrounding a dead trunk. well all of the trees got removed with their roots ground out except this one house that had two of the trees on their property and they just kind of trimmed the trunk down and let the trees be bushes. so i dubbed them the bush trees

now to the present. i have been praying for the bush trees every night along with a bunch of other plants that i also pray for because i like plants and they're super important to me. but i absolutely adore the bush trees they are good bush trees and sometimes they would get cut down by the city to the ground and the bush trees would come back. WELL JUST TODAY I FOUND OUT THAT THE ROOTS GOT GROUND OUT AND I AM SO UPSET. APPARENTLY THIS HAPPENED LIKE A MONTH AGO IVE BEEN PRAYING FOR DEAD TREES FOR A MONTH or maybe not i keep falling asleep before i finish praying so i dont normally make it far enough into my prayers to get to the plants and MAYBE THATS WHY THEY DIED?? either way im super upset about this

...But until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
    • Remember when I made this post in the Negative Thread before this one existed?

Display Spoiler

Linkle wrote:

This doesn't fall into the category or things that anger, annoy, or offend me, but...for lack of a better thread describing things that make you sad/upset:

When you meet someone really special who is like family to you, and spend so much time with them every day -- when they're such a positive influence that just being in their company or knowing they're near makes you smile so much -- that you can't imagine life without them. Even though you may never have even met them in person, and only known them online, they mean so much to you. They're so bright, so kind, and so positive, that you would swear they were a guardian angel sent just to be there for you...

...But then one day, they just disappear. They stop messaging...and you're left alone to wonder, what happened to them? Was it something I said...? Was it that hard time in life they talked to you about that they were going through...? Was it something or someone else...? Are they ever coming back...? Are they even alive?
      When their last message was so sweet and so...them, that you can't imagine them ever leaving you by choice; no, you know they wouldn't leave you by choice -- but somehow, even that knowledge doesn't bring you much comfort, because then the much worse possibilities come to mind.

And you spend every few days messaging them, just to talk. You tell them about your day, the things you did and what you've been through, and how much you miss them. And for awhile, it almost feels like they're still there with you and listening.

...But, none of that is even really the saddest part.

No, the saddest part of all is when you realize...all those messages you sent, you may just as well have been sending to yourself. And for all the time you spent writing "for when they come back", in the end, the fact really is that they'll probably never see those messages at all.

...Yes, the saddest part of all is when it comes time for you to really realize...that they're probably never coming back.

;-;

Yeah, still missing that person like crazy... if, by any crazy chance, you're reading this @Glitzy♥︎ , and just aren't logged in, I miss you...

You were like a big sister to me and I wish I knew some way I could find you, because I know you probably miss me, too.

I'll never forget you...

Celebrating 3 whole years of ZU membership -- 8/22/2015 - 8/22/2018
    • This is silly, but I feel really awful for bringing up Yo-Kai Watch in another thread. I wasn't expecting people to talk negatively of it- considering I thought it was a well made game with an interesting story and I didn't think that Level-5 was overdoing it because I just picked it up and the story even is captivating me (though I did pick up the second game first, and I want to get the Sushi version of Yo-Kai Watch 3 really bad)...

So, hearing sudden negativity really hit me hard since this game has been helping me through a lot and is one of my current favorites. I tried to change the topic after trying to reason that both Pokemon and Yo-Kai Watch were inspired by eachother and had their upsides and downsides, especially since the topic was about pokemon and not yo-kai watch. I only brought it up because I was confused why people said they were ripping off of yo-kai watch for sun & moon.

I have nothing against people not liking yo-kai watch, I guess i'm just really used to people trying to force me NOT to like things if they don't like it. I kinda grew up in those conditions with my cousin. She always forced me to hate whate she hated and fear what she feared, after all. This really prevented me from maturing for a long time, and I'm just now learning what a lot of things are feeling like and how to handle them maturely as an adult. I'm trying to handle being sad about hearing the opinions of others well, but I don't know if i'm doing a good job about it. I bet venting about it here wasn't the best thing to do either right? I don't think I could talk to the person and say "your opinion is making me sad" because that sounds childish and everyone's entitled to their own opinions. I don't really want to accidentally silence people just because I'm bothered because I like a game more than some people.

But... I guess it just kinda hurts, as I said, to hear people speaking badly of a game that I adore.
    • Ok. Here it goes.

Had a crush [with my friend], almost a year. Three weeks ago I finally told him. First he was like "oh yeah, we should finally try this out" [been friends about ten years and there has always been a twisted kinda spark], but now, couple a weeks later he was like "I'm not ready for a relationship and when I am, I want something new, not this old thing". All this via SMS.

We haven't even seen each other in these three weeks while this was going on.

Summa summarum: he has found somebody NEW.

And me? Feeling sad, old and alone.
    • Endia wrote:

Ok. Here it goes.

Had a crush [with my friend], almost a year. Three weeks ago I finally told him. First he was like "oh yeah, we should finally try this out" [been friends about ten years and there has always been a twisted kinda spark], but now, couple a weeks later he was like "I'm not ready for a relationship and when I am, I want something new, not this old thing". All this via SMS.

We haven't even seen each other in these three weeks while this was going on.

Summa summarum: he has found somebody NEW.

And me? Feeling sad, old and alone.
      I'm making an inference here, but I don't think he found someone new so much as he's dodging commitment. It sounds to me like he had second thoughts about the relationship, for whatever reason (i.e insecurities), and now he's scared to confront you directly.

If he hasn't made amends on his own volition in all this time and has immaturely responded to you through text, then I'm sad to say that he is not an ideal person. One of the worst things you can do is to start blaming yourself for how another person conducts their behavior.

You took the courage to attempt to bring a friendship to another level. That takes guts, and you should feel proud. That's more than I could do :)

Not much else to say other than work on your existing relationships and learn from this experience.
    • Hey, so I'm really having some trouble and I don't know where else to ask so I'm going to vent about it here a bit. I don't know if I should keep taking my anxiety meds. I thought that I didn't need them, primarily because I'm very dreadfully afraid of becoming dependent. I try to find other solutions such as sipping tea in hopes that it's nothing but it's gotten to the point that my heart races at random. I've had problems with anxiety all my life and even after getting diagnosed professionally i'm still wishing I could find other solutions to calm down other than taking pills (I have ones specifically for my breakdowns, and ones I'm supposed to take daily- I haven't taken them in awhile out of fear, really).

ANOTHER THING- The medicine makes me drowsy. While it does help, and I KNOW it does, that's another thing that horrifies me. I don't know what to do about it either- I have to drive myself almost everywhere, after all.

I just wish I didn't have anxiety at all. I'm happy and I'm getting a new job soon and the last damn thing I need is my illness interfering with my life again.
    • When i hear my trans friends speak about contemplating suicide if the election in the US doesnt go a certain way (and trust me, their reasons are hella valid), i cant help but feel really gloomy and helpless. All i can do is put my ballot in the way that doesnt result in an orange fascist taking over this nation and ruining it. But it breaks my heart that it has come to this. An entire community of people thinking of offing themselves cuz the consequences would be too difficult for them to cope with.

Greatest country in the world, my arse.

Badges and Awards

Voted: Coolest Member, Most Likely To Win The Lottery, Most Likely To Take Over The World, Best at GIFs, and Could be Related To [Moriquendi] in Farore Awards.

• Robonyan wrote:

Hey, so I'm really having some trouble and I don't know where else to ask so I'm going to vent about it here a bit. I don't know if I should keep taking my anxiety meds. I thought that I didn't need them, primarily because I'm very dreadfully afraid of becoming dependent. I try to find other solutions such as sipping tea in hopes that it's nothing but it's gotten to the point that my heart races at random. I've had problems with anxiety all my life and even after getting diagnosed professionally i'm still wishing I could find other solutions to calm down other than taking pills (I have ones specifically for my breakdowns, and ones I'm supposed to take daily- I haven't taken them in awhile out of fear, really).

ANOTHER THING- The medicine makes me drowsy. While it does help, and I KNOW it does, that's another thing that horrifies me. I don't know what to do about it either- I have to drive myself almost everywhere, after all.

I just wish I didn't have anxiety at all. I'm happy and I'm getting a new job soon and the last damn thing I need is my illness interfering with my life again.
      listen, friend, there's nothing wrong on being dependent on pills. If the side effects (drowsiness, etc.) are giving you trouble, talk to your doctor and maybe they can adjust the medication, but you should keep taking them if they help with your anxiety. Everyone is dependent on drugs, it's how our brains work; it's just that for most of us, those drugs are endogenous (they're hormones, created by our body). So you have to take a few pills to get your system back on the level, there's nothing wrong with that, really. I take pills every day, myself, and I probably will for the rest of my life but I'm happy, because all they are doing is replacing something my body isn't making on its own and setting things right.

pronouns: it/its or squi/squir
      ask me about my LGBTA+ and nonbinary Discord servers.
    • @Robonyan I'm sorry you are struggling with anxiety and taking meds, I think it's something many ZUers have struggled with, and if you would like to talk about it more at length, or ask for advice, please don't hesitate to post in the Personal Help section in General Chit Chat, which can be found here.

Also, hopefully you can figure something out with your meds, where you can find a happy medium between taking them, and not feeling drowsy all the time. I know there are a bunch of anti-anxiety meds out there, so perhaps your doctor can suggest a different kind?
    • I get down in the dumps a lot but it always feels awkward talking about it. It's really hard developing a close enough friendship with someone to start talking candidly, and sometimes I think I jump the gun and dump a lot of emotions on someone who had no idea it was coming and they get weirded out and then things are weird. So in an effort to avoid that I think most of the time I don't talk enough. Finding the balance is really fucking hard but I think I've managed it with one or two people, but then either they move away or I move away and staying in touch becomes tough.