Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    The Nintendo Switch
    • Please Understand wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

You know, sometimes it feels like every decision Nintendo has made in the last 10 years has been specifically designed to irritate me.
      To be honest, from our interactions here, I feel you have very narrow range of things that you like, and that is the problem, rather than Nintendo.
      Don't get me wrong, it is not necessarily bad to have a very defined taste, but it certainly doesn't make it easy to like a variety of things.
      You might be right, but a lot of their irritating decisions have been taking things I like and screwing them up. They ruined Paper Mario, they ruined Luigi's Mansion, they ruined Chibi-Robo... you'd think they'd do something I'd like, even if only by accident, wouldn't you?
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I played Daemon x Machina demo last night and Im pretty stoked with the game and its mechanics. The controls are pretty straightforward and not clunky at all. It surprised me that the demo lets you customize your char too. lmao Def excited for this game!

Display Spoiler

My character gets pink eyeliners yeeeeeeezz! lolololol

Also, yes i almost cried when they played the LA's trailer, i couldnt be more happy in yesterday's Direct.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Chloroform ().

• Vulpes wrote:

Please Understand wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

You know, sometimes it feels like every decision Nintendo has made in the last 10 years has been specifically designed to irritate me.
      To be honest, from our interactions here, I feel you have very narrow range of things that you like, and that is the problem, rather than Nintendo.Don't get me wrong, it is not necessarily bad to have a very defined taste, but it certainly doesn't make it easy to like a variety of things.
      You might be right, but a lot of their irritating decisions have been taking things I like and screwing them up. They ruined Paper Mario, they ruined Luigi's Mansion, they ruined Chibi-Robo... you'd think they'd do something I'd like, even if only by accident, wouldn't you?
      I want to be judgemental but I can totally understand where you're coming from. I've been quite pleased lately but seeing two of my favorite franchises devolve into light novel-tier bullshit is... Rough, to say the least. A majority of people don't care, and that's fine, I'm clearly the one in the "wrong" here, but I can't deny that it really sucks.

Also join the Master Race. We have Steam sales.
    • Here's some late thoughts:

Mario Maker 2: All I can say is that I'm surprised it took this long, haha. I didn't get the first one despite owning a Wii U. Still can't help but feel like they're selling a level editor for $60. I'm interested, but it's just not worth full price for me. But I'm sure it'll be even more popular than the first one, and I'm looking forward to seeing what crazy shit people come up with this time around, haha.

Seems like some actual new content (aside from fighters of course) is coming to Smash? I'm definitely intrigued. Whatever it is, the censored screenshots seem to imply like it's something that'll require new menus. What is this? New modes? The return of Stage Builder? Whatever it is, I want it.

I honestly, genuinely thought that Yoshi's Crafted World was already out and it was old news. :P

I'm amazed that they actually managed to successfully turn Tetris into an Online Battle Royale.

Fire Emblem looks nice. The presentation itself was a snorefest, but the game looks nice. I've been craving for a home-console Fire Emblem for a while now, and the few things they've revealed about the gameplay so far seem to be genuinely interesting. I completely skipped both Fates and Echoes too, so this'll feel like a return to the series for me!

Huh, Deltarune on the Switch! Not exactly surprising, but still nice to see. If the remaining chapters release on the Switch at the same time as they do on PC, I'll probably just get them on Switch.

Not very interested in Demon X Machina. I may try the demo, but it doesn't look like my kinda game. But who knows, maybe the demo will surprise me.

Hellblade? Genuinely shocked.

Holy shit Assassin's Creed 3? I hope they're not expecting anything over 8 copies sold. Also, did anyone else think for a moment that they were actually announcing Unravel characters for Mortal Kombat? Because what the hell that cut was way too sudden and nothing made sense for a second, haha.

Astral Chain looks like something I want to play. I actually thought it was a new Xenoblade for a moment, haha. But it's obviously not even close. Either way, Platinum Games's games are always some fun nonsense, I'm definitely getting this somewhere down the line!

I've said plenty enough on the Zelda section already, but I got some mixed feelings with Link's Awakening. My initial reaction was that of extreme dissapointment. I've warmed up a bit to it, but I'm just not enjoying that artstyle.
    • Vulpes wrote:

Please Understand wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

To be honest, from our interactions here, I feel you have very narrow range of things that you like, and that is the problem, rather than Nintendo.Don't get me wrong, it is not necessarily bad to have a very defined taste, but it certainly doesn't make it easy to like a variety of things.
      I think out of those the only game that is objectively a downgrade in every regard is Chibi Robo, but it is a result of making very low budget games for the IP. They wouldn't be able to make a proper one on a budget. Sucks, but I can see why they would have their priorities elsewhere.

I really liked Luigi's Mansion 2. It was developed by a 3rd party studio on a budget as well, and I assume 3 is developed by the same guys too, and this time with more time and money, so I think it is in good hands.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
    • Please Understand wrote:

I think out of those the only game that is objectively a downgrade in every regard is Chibi Robo, but it is a result of making very low budget games for the IP. They wouldn't be able to make a proper one on a budget. Sucks, but I can see why they would have their priorities elsewhere.
      Even if I grant that, it's really besides the point, isn't it? My issue is that those decisions irritate me, not that they objectively made things worse. I get that not every decision Nintendo makes has to appeal to me, but they're taking pretty much every franchise I really like in pretty much the opposite of the direction I want them to go. It's uncanny.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

• Zesty Crouton wrote:

(I... don't know how to post videos on this site, haha)
      Just normally copy-paste the link and the forum will turn it into an embedded link automatically.

Vulpes wrote:

They ruined Paper Mario, they ruined Luigi's Mansion, they ruined Chibi-Robo...
      Luigi's Mansion was dead in the water until they made a pretty good sequel. And now we're getting a third game, so let's see what they're doing with that.
      Chibi-Robo was a small game (hah) that barely made it out of Japan. I don't know what the deal was with a sequel, but I doubt too many people care about it.
      Now most people agree Paper Mario has been really bad recently, so I'll agree there.

That's 2 minor franchises and one relatively bigger one. I know you don't like the LA remake, but what about the other games? BotW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8... Did the last 10 years really disappoint you that much?
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Canyarion wrote:

That's 2 minor franchises and one relatively bigger one. I know you don't like the LA remake, but what about the other games? BotW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8... Did the last 10 years really disappoint you that much?
      I don't care about any of those except perhaps Breath of the Wild, which I still haven't found the time to actually play yet.

• I love the artstyle for Link's Awakening, but I was raised by a woman who made a living by selling art. So I'm usually open to anything provided it works.

I dunno. I just like how everything looks like it's from a child's toybox.

The thing that excited me the most about the Nintendo Direct is the Rune Factory 5 announcement. I really like 4 but had some issues with the design, hopefully they'll be able to fix some of my quibbles with the game.

(Also I'd love homosexual relationship choices too. Stardew Valley could do it, why can't you Marvelous!!!!)
    • Chloroform wrote:

I played Daemon x Machina demo last night and Im pretty stoked with the game and its mechanics. The controls are pretty straightforward and not clunky at all. It surprised me that the demo lets you customize your char too. lmao Def excited for this game!
      Same here! I loved it haha, the demo is so fun I've already spent hours just with that. I replayed the levels to rack up enough of the currency to reset my character and try all the different upgrades the demo had, seeing them actually change like with the robo-arms and legs and eyes is so awesome! I even played all the levels trying to beat them while outside the mech, it's a really fun challenge. Probably my most highly anticipated game now!

I ended up buying Starlink today too. The starter pack was just £15, I think they're selling it for like £70 on the official site?? It mustn't be doing too great at all, either that or Nintendo subsidised them pretty well. It's pretty fun, and I don't know any other way to get such a nice Arwing model.
    • Mozly Alice wrote:

The thing that excited me the most about the Nintendo Direct is the Rune Factory 5 announcement.
      I haven't been so excited for Rune Factory (or any Harvest Moon-like game) since Frontier to be honest. I loved that game*.

*except for its mechanic with the small spirits that would boost your crops, I hated that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• Vulpes wrote:

Canyarion wrote:

I don't care about any of those except perhaps Breath of the Wild, which I still haven't found the time to actually play yet.
      If you're only interested in some 4 franchises, of which 2 are pretty niche, I hope you realize you're a special case. Those games I mentioned are awesome, Nintendo at its best. The Switch is doing really well because of great games.
      So yeah, what PU said:

Please Understand wrote:

To be honest, from our interactions here, I feel you have very narrow range of things that you like, and that is the problem, rather than Nintendo.
      And no, Nintendo doesn't do this to irritate you.

Advance wrote:

I ended up buying Starlink today too. The starter pack was just £15, I think they're selling it for like £70 on the official site?? It mustn't be doing too great at all, either that or Nintendo subsidised them pretty well.
      Starlink sadly is a big flop so far. The game is fun, but it's just not selling. That's why they're so cheap right now.
      Makes you wonder if they'll start selling the cartridge/discs without toys at one point.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • I'm... not sure how I feel about Rune Factory.

The only game of its kind that I've ever played was Stardew Valley, and I really liked Stardew Valley. The thing is, though, Rune Factory looks so... anime. Like, I watch anime, but something about the artstyle advertised in Rune Factory just puts me off. I dunno. Which is a shame, because I would really like to try another Stardew Valley-style game.
      What good is Power without the Wisdom to wield it? What good is Wisdom without the Courage to act? What good is Courage without the Power to change the world?

NNID: Croutonz
    • Zesty Crouton wrote:

I'm... not sure how I feel about Rune Factory.

The only game of its kind that I've ever played was Stardew Valley, and I really liked Stardew Valley. The thing is, though, Rune Factory looks so... anime. Like, I watch anime, but something about the artstyle advertised in Rune Factory just puts me off. I dunno. Which is a shame, because I would really like to try another Stardew Valley-style game.
      Rune Factory and Story of Seasons (ex-Harvest Moon, new HM suck) games are far better than Stardew Valley in my opinion, at least in most regards. Stylistically yes they are much more anime, especially Rune Factory, but Stardew is animeish too, it's definitely modeled after Japanese art style.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• Canyarion wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

Canyarion wrote:

If you're only interested in some 4 franchises, of which 2 are pretty niche, I hope you realize you're a special case. Those games I mentioned are awesome, Nintendo at its best. The Switch is doing really well because of great games.
      I'm also interested in Pokémon, but won't be satisfied until they make another game as full-featured as Gold and Silver. I'd be willing to give a Star Fox game a shot if they made one with a lot of polish. And if they port Pikmin 3 to the Switch, I'd buy it.

I also like Animal Crossing in general, but every game since the original, and especially New Leaf, has made the villagers more and more generic. I won't love another Animal Crossing game until the cranky villagers are cranky again and there's as much dialogue as in Population Growing.

Furthermore, Breath of the Wild (possibly) notwithstanding, I've been very disappointed with the direction the Zelda series has taken over the last decade. I hated Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds, and while I didn't play Tri Force Heroes, I can say with a fair degree of confidence I wouldn't like it.

So that's eight franchises, seven of which I feel are not living up to their potential (the exception being Pikmin—the only problem there is that it's not on Switch).