Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    The Nintendo Switch
    • Happy Person wrote:

maybe Zelda? Yeah it's got text, but you'd be amazed how little that matters to kids.
      Knowing the parents, they probably don't want their preteens to be playing a game with swords and stuff. Maybe in a few years though.

John wrote:

mandatory part of the gameplay involving pairing up everyone
      Uhhh how mandatory can it be exactly? I didn't play Fates, but I did play Awakening. It was fun to mess around with, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything if I skipped it. At least pairing was doable here. In older FEs, I never even discovered how to do that. Or it was so slow that I couldn't be bothered.

Common Knowledge wrote:

I really miss Path of Radiance's (and Radiant Dawn's, to a lesser extent) story. The Tellius Fire Emblem games' stories weren't mind-blowing or anything, but they had great respect for their lore and built-up the backstories of the kingdoms and characters involved that made it very easy to get invested into the story. Newer FE games (with the exception of Echoes) have you just jumping around across countries back and forth with barely any time spent on actually fleshing out anything. I mean, hell, do you ever even get told the name of the continent that Fates takes place on?
      Oh man I love the Tellius games. Radiant Dawn was my first FE. I loved having two storylines that merged in the late game. I also liked how the action seemed really zoomed in on the characters. Battles took place on the street, instead of on huge war fields.

GregariousTree wrote:

Guys, Wargroove is fantastic. I forgot how big a hole Advance Wars left in my heart when it left me.
      I'm tempted. But I also realize that I never played Advance Wars 2 and Dark Ruin. I should play those before I shell out for a new game.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Pietro wrote:

This is pretty damn interesting. XBox Live is coming to Switch. arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02…ng-to-switch-ios-android/

I'm loving the cooperation between platforms and that the console wars as dying. Can't wait for more Nintendo, Microsoft, PC cross platform play games. Moving an online gaming system cross platform is a very innovative and interesting idea. It'll be fun to see how this turns out. This is part of what I love about Microsoft, they don't care about "the way things are".
      I've honestly never liked Microsoft at all, but seeing them rectify their own mistakes and attempting to actually evolve the gaming industry such as their potential cloud streaming service is something that has actually made begin to respect Microsoft more and more. The unique and interesting ideas that a company brings forward is exactly what drew me towards Nintendo when I was a kid. The only thing that prevents me from getting an Xbox system is the games. If they actually have a better selection of games than Sony does next generation, I may have to consider switching over to the Xbox.

Anywho enough rambling, it's amazing that Nintendo and Microsoft are actually cooperating with each other, but it definitely is sad to see that they're seemingly working against Sony even though Sony is a very important competitor. Hopefully Sony remains relevant and most importantly, cooperative next generation.
    • Canyarion wrote:

Uhhh how mandatory can it be exactly? I didn't play Fates, but I did play Awakening. It was fun to mess around with, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything if I skipped it. At least pairing was doable here. In older FEs, I never even discovered how to do that. Or it was so slow that I couldn't be bothered.
      Technically speaking you could beat the lower difficulties of the 3DS games without using pair up (and I think every single difficulty of Birthright as well because OP lobster is OP lobster and the enemies are a joke), except Conquest because there the game pretty much expects you to utilize every mechanic to its fullest, but by that I mean strategically using attack and defense stance (pair-up was rebalanced and is less broken than in Awakening), not playing eugenics simulator because you can't even grind there without DLC (and the game is built to be beatable, even on Lunatic, without any grinding).

Building supports in GBA and prior FEs is a colossal pain in the ass that requires you to waste an unreasonable amount of turns doing nothing or keeping units together without adding any meaningful incentive to do so aside from the promise of unlocking said support bonuses later down the line (unlike the pair-up mechanics which gives you an inmediate advantage that scales the more you use it until you cap the support rank).

Path of Radiance did a better job since you only needed to deploy the units together a certain amount of chapters, no ending turns adjacent to each other needed and it could also account for your story progression in support dialogues somewhat which the GBA and Awakening/Fates system can't do (heck I think there's even dialogue variations if certain characters that are related to the ones talking died, I think Marcia was such a case if Makalov ended up kicking the bucket). RD also uses this IIRC but the dialogues are generic.

In an ideal world for me Three Houses would either use a mix of the 3DS and Wii/GC system or just the later, in the first case I would be fine with the 3DS system but with the ability to account for story progression in dialogues on some degree (maybe cap the max rank until a certain chapter or something, though that restricts player freedom somewhat, but the alternative of having different dialogues for different points of the game is unrealistic given how many characters there usually are on a FE), on the later the Wii/GC was simply good enough, though they should remove the cap of 5 points across the board for any unit, that was restrictive and not in a good way, though bonuses would have to be nerfed or else you could have Knight dodgetanks going around.

This of course assuming forcing children again gets axed which I hope it is unless they're planning to pull a FE4 on us in which case please go ahead, but only in that case, screw timey-wimey shenanigans.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• Pietro wrote:

This is pretty damn interesting. XBox Live is coming to Switch. arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02…ng-to-switch-ios-android/

I'm loving the cooperation between platforms and that the console wars as dying. Can't wait for more Nintendo, Microsoft, PC cross platform play games. Moving an online gaming system cross platform is a very innovative and interesting idea. It'll be fun to see how this turns out. This is part of what I love about Microsoft, they don't care about "the way things are".
      I guess that Microsoft just doesn't identify itself as a console manufacturer (anymore) and therefore doesn't give a f**k. I can't picture neither Nintendo nor Sony ever do something similar to this, at least not in the close future.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Three Houses looks like it's going to shake up the formula quite a bit. Diagonal movement, magic and arts being commands like in SoV instead of % activation, advance wars-y troop elements... But it looks like the main character is still a self-insert. That's a big nono from me, dawg. I thought Robin was passable, but would've been so much better if they weren't a self-insert. It just cheapens the games so much.
      I keep forgetting it exists because they never talk about it lol. I hope to Naga that they keep all the waifu shit in Heroes and leave my Fire Emblem alone. And also not add Edelgard to Smash, please no more Fire Emblem in Smash.
      And and also also make a remake of FE4, pls IS. Pls.
      In other news...

• Honestly, if we can get the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remaster this year along with Fire Emblem Three Houses and the new Animal Crossing, this will be 2017 levels of hype for me. Y'know, as long as Three Houses is good and not just Fates again. Is it so wrong for me to want Conquest's gameplay mixed with PoR's storytelling and Echoes dialogue writing? Is that really so much to ask?

Also, Luigi's Mansion looks pretty cool. Come ooooon, Nintendo Direct, where are you?!
      What good is Power without the Wisdom to wield it? What good is Wisdom without the Courage to act? What good is Courage without the Power to change the world?

NNID: Croutonz

The post was edited 2 times, last by Zesty Crouton ().

• Zesty Crouton wrote:

Is it so wrong for me to want Conquest's gameplay mixed with PoR's storytelling and Echoes dialogue writing? Is that really so much to ask?
      No, that's pretty much what I want in a nutshell (minus the Echoes part because I skipped it but I've heard it's pretty good on that aspect). Also one minor addition taken from Heroes that's actually pretty good (and the only thing I liked about that game, sorry simple tiny maps and only 4 units deployed all the time are not my thing): non-RNG active skills, instead you charge a defense stance-like bar and then you unleash the active on your next action, they could also let you save the charge for more strategic usage and all.

I want some word on Bayonetta 3, it's been far too long and they haven't shown anything have they?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jackos ().

• It's a totally different game. Very experimental.

For starters, it had 4-player coop (but you each needed a GBA + cable). I think it also used a battle system that was different. More real time action than turn based? And I don't think the story had as much focus as main FFs, but that might just be my feeling. I only played half an hour of the game.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • The Crystal Chronicles games are like the Ivalice games with Final Fantasy. Where as Final Fantasy 1-15 take place on different planets, the Crystal Chronicles games take place on the same planet.

Final Fantasy 12 took place in Ivalice, so it wouldn't be surprising if 16 took place wherever the Crystal Chronicles games do. But since they're part of a continuing story, I doubt we would get more than one as a main entry.

Or something. Idk.
    • The first Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube was awesome. At least... for me. I feel like, to get the full experience, you had to have been playing multiplayer, but to do that required kind of a convoluted set-up so I'm not surprised that so many people missed out.

The combat is really basic and repetitive, there's not a whole lot in the way of skills or abilities, there is a story but it's not exactly the 'focus' of the game and it's nothing to write home about, there's a kinda lack-luster growth system, the levels are fun but you wind up replaying them over and over without much change so they wind up becoming kind of stale by the endgame, the single-player is just flat-out underdeveloped, and the game can theoretically run on forever if you don't know what you're doing. Not to mention, though there are sidequests and side-stories and whatnot, finding them without a guide is kind of obtuse. Realistically, it's a game with charm but a lot of flaws, especially when compared to modern games.

I still loved it though. It was a blast to play with my brothers, and that OST remains to this day one of the absolute best I've ever heard in a video game. There was a lot of raw potential in CC that could have definitely benefited from a direct sequel that improved on everything the first game set out to do.

Sadly, though the game did get a few sequels (I wanna say... 2? on the DS? And then one on the Wii), none of them came anywhere close to the magic of the original. Though I've heard that at least one of the DS games was pretty good for what it was. And the one on the Wii kind of... killed the franchise.

Which is why I'm so excited for this remaster - not just because it's one of my favorite games coming back to life, not only because the Switch is like the perfect system to have it on (No more Gameboy Advance Link Cables, huzzah!), but because if it sells well, it might mean the revitalization of the franchise. And hopefully, they'll go in the right direction this time.
      What good is Power without the Wisdom to wield it? What good is Wisdom without the Courage to act? What good is Courage without the Power to change the world?

NNID: Croutonz
    • Guinea wrote:

Oh lawd let it be so.

Quick question, guys: have any of you ever popped in a new game, booted it up, and immediately gotten an error messege? I shut off the system, removed the game, put it back in and it worked fine.

Like... wtf.
      Hmm, I don't think so. Not what I can remember at least. On the other hand my Tales of Vesperia-copy has crashed 3 times, but apparently from my understanding it is the Switch-version that isn't the best one. I survived though.

Stood it anything else other than 'error'?

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().