Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • john_marston wrote:

imo Pikmin 3, TPHD, TWWHD, Super Mario 3D World, and Xenoblade are the last significant Wii U games left. It's almost an obsolete console...
      What about Super Mario Maker? Unfit because of the touch/pointer controls?

And I don't know what the deal with VGChartz is, but I do know that Minecraft has sold 0.5 million physical copies in Japan alone.

Please Understand wrote:

Advance wrote:

Surely releasing to a greater install base benefited 3D World's sales
      Not really - being a launch title is the biggest boost in sales you can possibly have. Very few games available, so it's a huge chance whoever buys the system also buys the game. 3D World proved that "2D Mario sells more than 3D Mario" is a thing of the past.
      That's usually true, yes. An exception to the rule is GTA: San Andreas. Came out late in the conso's life cycle and outsold the earlier GTA game.

darkbeastganon wrote:

Mario Odyssey...mmmmmmaaaayybeeee....more of a Zelda guy than a Mario guy when it comes to Nintendo....
      If it helps, Mario Odyssey feels a bit like Zelda. Big open levels, more exploration than platforming.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Please Understand wrote:

GregariousTree wrote:

I mean, Celeste nearly won GOTY for 2018, and that's as pure of a 2D platformer as you can get. Look at the success/continuing relevance of stuff like Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Ori and the Blind Forest, Cave Story, and 2D Mario games. 2D platformers remain a pretty dang popular genre, even if it's sort of moved into the indie realm. Totally cool if it's not your cup of tea, but I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say the genre's glory days are past. I think we're seeing some of the best we've ever seen in that area, and Yoshi looks pretty cute and fun to me!
      If anything, you are proving my point that platformers cannot stand their own as fully priced games anymore. I never said platformers are going anywhere, or that there is no place for them, but they are no longer a big genre, just like adventure games which used to be an extremely popular genre (and still one of my favorites) are now one of the most niche ones. Even Metroidvanias, which I personally still believe have huge potential for even AAA (or at least AA) releases, don't seem to be popular enough where big studios are working on them. Pure 2D platformers are becoming more and more niche as well, the trend is very clear. For example, Mario Bros U did not sell nearly as much as previous Mario games, and most importantly, consoles (unlike New Super Mario Bros Wii), despite being a launch title. The excuse that it was on the Wii U is not good enough, as Mario 3D World surpassed it in sales (even if it is by a small margin), despite launching much later in the system's lifetime.
      Yeah I mean, you're pretty much right, but I wasn't really talking about sales. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. You mentioned that Yoshi didn't look very fun, 2D platformers were an outlier, and their glory days were past and I thought you were kind of making a blanket statement about how irrelevant platformers are today. I was thinking that from a cultural standpoint they are still pretty significant and quality wise we're seeing some of the best games we've ever seen. The number of quality titles we're seeing that still sell by the millions, coupled with the attention and praise they receive, down to Celeste competing with freaking God of War for GotY, shows that it's still a pretty big genre. Or at least, it's not dead in the way that say JRPGs are. It's true that big publishers don't throw very much attention their way anymore (although there's still some notable examples, like Ori for Xbox) and they're not the system sellers/console kings they used to be, but that doesn't paint a totally accurate picture. Look at the statistics from 2017 - nearly 50% of all games sold in the year were shooters and action games. Every other genre of game is selling less. I think it's fair to say that at least part of the decline of platformers is due to market forces that don't necessarily have anything to due with how beloved or excellent platformers still are.

Again, all that said, I think you're right that they're going to continue to decline - after all, the average age of gamers is 34 and I don't see a lot of younger gamers being as interested in 2D platformers. Like I said originally, I just think it's sort of an exaggeration to call them outliers or past their glory days. If anything, we're actually seeing something of a Renaissance in 2D platformers. They are still a force to be reckoned with in gaming.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • Vulpes wrote:

I also only have Breath of the Wild for my Switch, and there's also nothing else released that interests me. I'd buy a Xenoblade compilation, but I'm not willing to jump in with 2. I despise pixel graphics, especially when they're done by choice and not due to technical limitations, so that rules out Octopath Traveler (it doesn't sound that appealing anyway). I'm not really into Fire Emblem. And I haven't played a Super Mario game since the first Galaxy, and have no intention of starting again. I suspect the next Switch game I get will be Luigi's Mansion 3.
      Were there any games/franchises that you are interested that are/you see coming in the distant future? I'm intrigued that only Breath of the Wild appeals to you, but I did get the Switch mostly due to the titles that I believed were releasing on the Switch in the future and my loyalty and faith in Nintendo became the driving factors (even though Zelda is amazing).

Since you seem interested in Xenoblade, I would definitely buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I've never played any previous Xenoblade games and yet I understood the game completely and I was fascinated by the world, its lore, and the themes established in the game. If you're interested by RPGs and/or story-driven games, I highly recommend Xenoblade 2. It's one of the best Switch games that have released on the platform (and honestly, my favorite one so far).
    • MVS wrote:

By the way, on my birthday I got like 300 "platinum points" (I think) for the E-shop. Is that a high number and how will they translate into actual money?
      The platinum coins does not translate into money at all.
      Only gold coins translates into money.

Platinum coins you can use for some 3DS themes, sometimes games and programs for 3DS and WiiU, but mostly used for specific game discounts. Like right now on MyNintendo.com you can spend 200 platinum coins for 20% off on Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS.

Gold coins is 100 gold coins for 1 Euro in the Eshop.
      You can use it for roughly the same stuff as the platinum coins, its just different games you can get discounts on etc. For example its 40 gold coins for 40% off on Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for 3DS.
    • I don't disagree, Please Understand. But I think that NSMBU is gonna sell gangbusters. It'll compete with Odyssey -- maybe even exceed it. It's not a game that you buy a system for, but if you already have that system (and are not dissuaded by the fact that multiple games are at least visually similar)...

So yeah. I'm totally picking that stuff up tomorrow. It's gonna be amazing. Yes! I wish I could transfer this feeling of re-release hype that I'm feeling to you all.
      :cookiemonster:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Happy Person ().

• darkbeastganon wrote:

Please Understand wrote:

darkbeastganon wrote:

Brother and I had a conversation about the Switch and he badgered me if I wanted to buy it or not. Breath of the Wild looks fun, but is there any point in buying a game system if you're not going to play multiple games on it?

Though there is that SquareEnix game that came out in the style of old school fantasy sprite games. What was it called again?
      Does Mario Odyssey, the new Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade 2 (and Torna expansion) not interest you? Those games alone together with Zelda and Octopath Traveller could easily take you over 500 hours of playtime.
      There's a new Fire Emblem?
      Heard of Xenoblade, but it doesn't interest me.

Mario Odyssey...mmmmmmaaaayybeeee....more of a Zelda guy than a Mario guy when it comes to Nintendo....
      I like Mario but I am much more of a Zelda guy to. To me Zelda and DK are far surpear franchises to Mario but Mario odyssey is pretty darn good to. I have put like 220 hours into BOTW and still have not done a lot. Mario odyssey I have put around 25 hours in and still have not done a lot. I still need to and will at some point but yeah it didn't hoock me like BOTW did.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zeldaisthebest! ().

• I like Mario Odyssey. I'm not sure if my favorite 3D Mario is it or 3D Land on 3DS. I would like to play 3D World for Wii U eventually. Gee, if only there was some company out there that was constantly announcing Wii U re-releases for Switch...

But while I love N64, I'm not really a big Mario 64 fan. Zelda was the game that I was looking forward to in those days.
      :cookiemonster:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Happy Person ().

• Happy Person wrote:

I don't disagree, Please Understand. But I think that NSMBU is gonna sell gangbusters. It'll compete with Odyssey -- maybe even exceed it. It's not a game that you buy a system for, but if you already have that system (and are not dissuaded by the fact that multiple games are at least visually similar)...

So yeah. I'm totally picking that stuff up tomorrow. It's gonna be amazing. Yes! I wish I could transfer this feeling of re-release hype that I'm feeling to you all.
      Well, I dunno about outselling Odyssey, but I do think it's gonna do really well. Super excited to pick it up too!

You know, I agree with you about Mario 64. Never understood the praise for that game. Even as a kid, once I got past the 3D marvel of it I thought it was a pretty boring and simple game. Although I don't know if my opinion really counts though, haha. I'm not a big fan of most 3D Marios. Didn't like Sunshine or 3D Land either. Galaxy 1 and 2 were pretty fantastic, I'll admit, but I still don't even have Odyssey. Just doesn't look very interesting to me. I bought Mario + Rabbids instead, haha.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • I replayed a few levels of Mario 64 a while ago. Some levels that I forgot existed, like the second snow world and the Big-Tiny level.

The game was rough around the edges, but it's definitely the same concept as later 3D Mario games. Of course sequels nailed the gameplay, but back then it was definitely a great game. I have very fond memories of it.
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • john_marston wrote:

I hear people saying Odyssey is more about adventure. I thought 3D Land was the most boring thing ever, and Galaxy was just OK (well-made games though). Is Odyssey really different?
      Imagine big levels, like 4x as big as the ones in Mario 64. And then each level has between 50 and 80 Moons to find. Ranging from very easy to very hard.

So yeah, there's a lot more exploration involved than in normal Mario games. It felt like 80% Mario, 20% Zelda to me.
    • john_marston wrote:

I hear people saying Odyssey is more about adventure. I thought 3D Land was the most boring thing ever, and Galaxy was just OK (well-made games though). Is Odyssey really different?
      In my opinion Odyssey is pretty different from Galaxy -- mostly because of the planets. Odyssey kind of plays like Banjo Kazooie with more traditional levels as opposed to a hub world, if that makes sense. A big part of the game is looking for the musical notes. The levels are fun to explore.
      ___

From the moment that I became enamored with ALttP, I imagined a 3D Zelda existing. Unlike Mario, Zelda was trying to create a credible world. 3D could only help with that. ... I never really saw the need for it in Mario. *shrugs*
    • Happy Person wrote:

In my opinion Odyssey is pretty different from Galaxy
      Screw opinions my friend, it's a fact. Completely different design philosophy.

I am also more of a 64 - Sunshine - Odyssey guy. Except for me Sunshine was not as good as 64 and Odyssey, in fact nowhere near as good. The FLUDD offered way too much freedom of movement for a platformer game.

THAT SAID, I can't say that Galaxy games, or 3D Land/World were bad. I liked 3D World and Galaxy 2 the most, especially Galaxy 2 for me has some of the most fun and challenging levels in any Mario game ever, and it was the last Mario that I felt compelled to 100% because it was like the game was in my face taunting me "can't do this, tough guy, can ya?".

So yeah. There's no bad Mario game, sorry folks. But for me the not-as-good-but-still-good ones are 3D Land, Sunshine and the first Galaxy.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().