Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • Vulpes wrote:

the negative reaction to Sticker Star should have prompted either a return to form
      You know what I find hilarious? In the review reel for Super Mario Party, Nintendo quoted "8/10 a return to form".

They're so proud of that 8 that they're willing to admit the previous Mario Party games were crap.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Depends. I'd say in general, criticism from the fanbase can be counter-intuitive given how divisive most fanbases are. A perfect example is Sega or more specifically Sonic Team's relationship with their own mascot Sonic the Hedgehog where Sonic has finally lost his identity and they have no concrete direction of the series given how divisive their fanbase is and as such, try to cater to all different parts of the fanbase.

Criticism is definitely important, but I'm really glad that Nintendo has their own understanding of their product that supersedes many of ours and are able to produce something amazing even if we may not have asked for it in the first place. The Nintendo Switch is a perfect example of this where the Nintendo Switch became a commercial success despite the negativity it elicited before its release.

Of course, no reception to fan criticism will have you end up like EA where BattleField V has sold quite poorly (relative to their expectations), haha.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Cornelius Fudge ().

• MVS wrote:

Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

I still think ps5 could end up being late 2019 but I am thinking it may end up being early 2020 but we will see. When you say King Zell about a 2d Zelda this year and being reliable why is he? If we got 3 3d Zelda games and also 1 2d Zelda game all on the switch that would be nuts. If 2024 that may be a little late for switch I think 2023 you may see what ever the next nintendo system is come out. Well even if a 3d Zelda game comes out in 2020 and is like safe has you call it that would not be a bad thing not ever game can or needs to be like revolutionary and I think most people including me wouldn't mind a Zelda game that is similary to BOTW but more story and dungeons and more enemy verity and maybe expaind on the voice acting to or something.
      If anything the next Xbox will be first out is my guess. Why would Sony even hurry when they totally dominate? Microsoft on the other hand lost this gen pretty much as soon as it began, and I can really see them wanting to start the new generation almost as soon as possible (will still be 2020 though). No bullshit this time but just a powerful traditional console. My guess is also that one will be the standard (around where PS5 will be) and then a ridiculously strong expensive version for people willing to pay 500-600 dollars for (true 4k on everything as a minimum). This will be a bit like it is now with the "slim"-versions and "pro"-versions, but from the beginning this time which people will be more okay with. But I still think that both Microsoft and Sony will start the next generation in 2020, even if they may talk about it this year or even tease us.
      King Zell has apparently predicted stuff in the past that turned out to be true, like Animal Crossing one day before it got announced, and some other stuff that I don't remember. It was more than one thing though.

I didn't meant "safe" as in a negative way. Pretty much the opposite. Nintendo should be MORE safe in some regards, and listen to what fans want, which they have started to do recently when it comes to Zelda. It is dangerous though to listen TOO much to the fans, so it is pretty much a balance to be kept here. Furthermore, "safe" and "revolutionary" aren't necessarily opposites. I think that BotW's big open world was both revolutionary (for the Zelda series) and pretty safe to be honest, since people have wanting a game like that for ages. So the next game could very well be very ambitious but still safe, so we will see.

Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

If those things happend than my only question left is when is the next DK going to come out? I hope we get one some what soon I dont want switch to like go with out a DK like how gamecube basically did I known there where some DK games on gamecube but they where not like your normally DK games. I dont want a full gen with out a bran new DK game. But yeah it would be crazy if we got all these things you guys are talking about this gen.
      The modern Donkey Kong Country-games don't sell as well as NSMB, so I don't see another Country-game as that obvious to be honest. And Retro Studios is nowhere to be seen. Nintendo should take risks with Donkey Kong and give us a very ambitious 3D title. :yeppers:
      That could be true because ps4 sales are still good. I dont think Xbox can have another system before 2020 though or it will piss people off to much. With xbox one x comming out in 2017 having another system in less than 3 years would just be over kill. Well there have been a lot of rumors about ps4 in 2019 and I am kind of thinking they may end up doing ps5 in early 2020 kind of like how switch come out in march of 2017. I do think xbox will have the more powerful system. I kind of wonder if ps5 may be 500 and be sold at like a 50 lose so that way it can be pretty powerful and be some what more future prof. I known people talk about ps3 and its 600 price and about how 400 is like the good price and ever thing but I dont think it was simple 600 price that hurt ps3. I think it was because it was 600 during a very bad enonimy and also multieplatform games didn't play well on ps3 for the first like 2 years and ps3 got of to a slow start with excusives. Video games are like the only thing that has not went up in price and I dont think consoles can stay 400 for ever. I think 500 would be a good middle ground and with xbox one x it was not the 500 price that hurt microsoft it was the lack of games. Oh ok didn't known about the Animal crossing thing that the person predectied.

Oh ok I thought you meant safe in like a bad way has I do think of safe has like the opposite of revolutionary even though I dont think bad and yeah I agree its important to find a balance between listing to fans and not. I dont known what is going on with Retro studios its so odd I am more and more worried that they just went under. I known NSMB does sale better but I known DKCR did sale pretty well and to me while I like Mario I think Mario is overrated and I think DK is a much better franchise so I want it to continute I am hungry for another DK game already. I would like to see a ambitious 3d DK game to but even if not I just want another normal DK game I dont want to have to wait for like the next nintendo system for another DK game that would suck. DK is my second favorite nintendo franchise behind just Zelda.
    • ... I've heard of worse reasons to bring up savage quotes from popular game developers.

Shigeru Mememato wrote:

"Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

Miyamoto was playing Rekking Crew, that day. *bad-dum ding* But seeing that it's coming from the perspective of someone who made 2D Mario, it's hard to disagree. Super Mario Bros., as a series, is on another level -- not only when compared to DKC, but also when compared to every other 2D platformer series that ever existed. (That's just my opinion, of course. But I doubt that it's particularly unpopular one. )

I mean, the 'New' Mario games are still great 2D platformers (imo). They're competitive with Tropical Freeze or even the original DKC games... just because it has those core Mario mechanics. And one of the coolest things in the NSMB series is the Super Metroid style wall jump. I wish they'd use the Cape Feather or the Magic Leaf more in these games, but that mechanic almost makes up for it.

But I would get a new DKC game if it came out. I hope they tone down the difficulty a notch or two, though. I didn't even try to 100% Tropical Freeze just because... I didn't want to play it anymore after I beat it. Just beating the game was pretty taxing. lol.
    • Yup, he either went back on what he said or the quote just flat out never happened and honestly given the supposed context it was given in I think it's flat out BS or mistranslated as it was basically Miyamoto insulting a business partner on his freaking face in the middle of an interview.

Or he did say it but after being constantly pressured by the company to make Yoshi's Island more like DKC and then apologized later on, who knows.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• The game is rough in terms of gameplay, mostly. Not the core gameplay, that's fairly low on jank, but it does some weird stuff that doesn't work well (climbing on enemies is a core combat skill, but it's real rough around the edges. Or, like, the game tries to decide what NPC you love the most for a plot event, and does this by checking stuff like how often you've talked to them, so random shopkeeps tend to be picked as your romantic interest, 90% of the quests are fetch-quests or similar).

It also crams 95% of its plot into the last 30 minutes. :P

But the stuff that works works pretty well. The combat is challenging-but-fun, the world is decent to explore, the plot has some neat ideas even if it doesn't explain them well, the NPC allies are an interesting idea that largely work, etc.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • MVS wrote:

JP the Neurotic wrote:

That’s awesome just hope it runs decently . I have it on the PS3 and it can be rough sometimes but it’s a fantastic game
      Rough as in frame drops or something else? And why do you think it is a fantastic game? Not a rhetorical question since I haven't heard about it before (or at least not paid attention to its existence).
      yeah the frame rate and visuals are rough around the edges .

As for why I think it’s fantastic it’s one of the best action RPGs gameplay imo . Combat is very fun imo and you have a lot of options thanks to jowcrasy it is to switch classes .

The world is relatively small compared to other games so it doesn’t overstay it’s wekvome and has a lot of nookswand crannies full of stiff to find .

The game has a cool system where you make a pawn who accompanies you thought the game and you can hire other players pawns to round out your team

Most of the side quests that aren’t part of the bulletin board usually have some sort of story to thrm
    • Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

while I like Mario I think Mario is overrated and I think DK is a much better franchise so I want it to continute I am hungry for another DK game already
      I can't see how this statement holds true, Mario has consistently raised the bar for platformers (both 2D and now 3D), DK hasn't done anything revolutionary, like ever, it was always just a really well designed 2D platformer (or not so well designed imo when it comes to the Gamecube ones). That said, DK has potential and does sell well enough for it to continue existing, there will be a DK game or two on Switch, no doubt about it.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
    • Please Understand wrote:

Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

while I like Mario I think Mario is overrated and I think DK is a much better franchise so I want it to continute I am hungry for another DK game already
      I can't see how this statement holds true, Mario has consistently raised the bar for platformers (both 2D and now 3D), DK hasn't done anything revolutionary, like ever, it was always just a really well designed 2D platformer (or not so well designed imo when it comes to the Gamecube ones). That said, DK has potential and does sell well enough for it to continue existing, there will be a DK game or two on Switch, no doubt about it.
      While I did say overrated so its an unpopular opinion but I would take DK 2, DKCR and DKCTF over any Mario game ever made. DK to me is the 2nd best franchise that Nintendo has behind just Zelda but most people would say that Mario is the best than Zelda. Much better level Design and much better music DK has. I am just worried that with like the success of Zelda BOTW, Mario odyess and the talk about the next Zelda game and metriod prime 4 and the big Pokémon game and that retro studios seems to be dead or something that DK may be forgotten on the switch like it basically was on the gameube. The gamecube was where not your normal DK game I dont even really count those games.
    • Has Kirby ever had a three-dimensional game? Besides that golf one, I guess.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().