Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

I just want info about another DK game. Zelda, DK and Mario are my 3 favorite franchise in that order for nintendo and we have not had a new DK game in like 5 years and I already have DKTF on the wii u. Zelda and Mario have had games on switch already DK has not had a new game yet and no info about what. I want to known what retro studios is up to no matter if its DK or not. I known I am in the minority but 2019 right now dont look good for switch for me. I have zero interest in Pokemon I think I am the only person who grew up in the 90's and never liked Pokémon at all. I have zero interest in metriod prim 4 or a pikman game either or LM3 either. I only have 6 games on my switch and I dont known of any thing soon that I want on switch.
      Well, I have 7 games -1 (one that I want to get rid off lol), so practically I have 6 games as well, and I think that is pretty much for being the Switch's second year. I know that a lot of people have like 20 games at this point, but I am not that big on buying new games I suppose. Rather buy fewer games I really am interested in and spent more time on each (at least in the long run).

Nintendo should have more games to show us for sure, so don't give up on 2019 quite yet. A Direct now in january could give us some surprises. I am not interested in another 2D-Donkey Kong-game... but would get crazy if they finally gave us a proper 3D one (that would be incredible, but I will not hold my breath).

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like Pokemon? Don't you like JRPGs in general? Not that Pokemon is the typical JRPG-franchise, but I think it still counts as one. I can't say that I am very excited for Pokemon 2019, but I am open minded about it. If it is another 3DS-title with HD-visuals on the Switch I will be very "meh", but could still see myself buying it only because it is on a home console and I haven't played Pokemon since like 15 years ago or something? But if they actually have stepped up their game (no pun intended) for real, then I maybe will be interested in it.

I have very little interest in Luigi's Mansion 3 by the way, despite that I really liked the original on the GameCube. Why you ask? Because it feels way more like the second game which I regard as a huge step down from the original, with worse controls, worse overall design and very boring visuals (not because it was on 3DS, but because everything looks simplistic and boring). Even 3DS can have details in environments etc, it is powerful enough to provide stuff like that. It is obvious that Nintendo really tried to make Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube to look impressive graphically-wise, as the GameCube's first game, and they really succeeded with that since it had great details, cool effects, great atmosphere, etc. The second game feels like a cheap version they just put together without much thought in the pile of other 3DS-titles. I probably triggered a lot of Dark Moon-lovers now, but this needed to be said. :cool:

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• I beat DKC:TF, and I liked a lot of it, but all my 2D platformer hype is directed toward that which is to come. Yes, a Wii U game that I haven't played: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. Nine days, people!

Playing Axiom Verge on Switch at the moment (along with Octopath Traveler). I got this on PS4 for my cousin for slightly-past-Christmas, and I decided the Switch version for myself. I should have gotten it much sooner, as it's quite good.
      :cookiemonster:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Happy Person ().

• MVS wrote:

Zeldaisthebest! wrote:

I just want info about another DK game. Zelda, DK and Mario are my 3 favorite franchise in that order for nintendo and we have not had a new DK game in like 5 years and I already have DKTF on the wii u. Zelda and Mario have had games on switch already DK has not had a new game yet and no info about what. I want to known what retro studios is up to no matter if its DK or not. I known I am in the minority but 2019 right now dont look good for switch for me. I have zero interest in Pokemon I think I am the only person who grew up in the 90's and never liked Pokémon at all. I have zero interest in metriod prim 4 or a pikman game either or LM3 either. I only have 6 games on my switch and I dont known of any thing soon that I want on switch.
      Well, I have 7 games -1 (one that I want to get rid off lol), so practically I have 6 games as well, and I think that is pretty much for being the Switch's second year. I know that a lot of people have like 20 games at this point, but I am not that big on buying new games I suppose. Rather buy fewer games I really am interested in and spent more time on each (at least in the long run).
      Nintendo should have more games to show us for sure, so don't give up on 2019 quite yet. A Direct now in january could give us some surprises. I am not interested in another 2D-Donkey Kong-game... but would get crazy if they finally gave us a proper 3D one (that would be incredible, but I will not hold my breath).

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like Pokemon? Don't you like JRPGs in general? Not that Pokemon is the typical JRPG-franchise, but I think it still counts as one. I can't say that I am very excited for Pokemon 2019, but I am open minded about it. If it is another 3DS-title with HD-visuals on the Switch I will be very "meh", but could still see myself buying it only because it is on a home console and I haven't played Pokemon since like 15 years ago or something? But if they actually have stepped up their game (no pun intended) for real, then I maybe will be interested in it.

I have very little interest in Luigi's Mansion 3 by the way, despite that I really liked the original on the GameCube. Why you ask? Because it feels way more like the second game which I regard as a huge step down from the original, with worse controls, worse overall design and very boring visuals (not because it was on 3DS, but because everything looks simplistic and boring). Even 3DS can have details in environments etc, it is powerful enough to provide stuff like that. It is obvious that Nintendo really tried to make Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube to look impressive graphically-wise, as the GameCube's first game, and they really succeed with that since it had great details, cool effects, great atmosphere, etc. The second game feels like a cheap version they just put together without much thought in the pile of other 3DS-titles. I probably triggered a lot of Dark Moon-lovers now, but this needed to be said. :cool:
      I want a new DK game no matter if it is 2d or 3d. 2D would be cool to like complete a trilogy after having returns and tropical freeze but I am more down for 3d because we only have 1 3d dk game ever and it was a lot time ago so I think it is time to try a 3d dk game again. Yeah maybe we will get some surprise I wonder when we will get are first 2019 direct direct and if it will show any like games we dont really now of yet or just updates on things like metroid prime and pokemon etc. Yeah I known some people have like 20 games on the switch but I think so far the switch lineup has been kind of weak to many wii u ports and old game games being portated over. If you didn't have a wii u than switch lineup of games looks much better if you are like me and had a will u than switch lineup looks much weaker and multiplatform games I dont buy on the switch I buy on the ps4 has they are likely to look a little bit better or run better because of the switch being under powered. The one game I do have that is multiplatform is star link I am enjoy it but have not got super far yet but the only reasons I got it on switch instead of ps4 is because of the star fox stuff that comes with the switch version other wise like all multiplatforms I would have gotten it on the ps4.

I just have never been into pokemon be it cartoons or games or the cards like I said I think I am the only one who like grew up in the 90's and never liked pokemon at all I was born in 89. I like the pokemon theme song but that is like it. Oh interesting with LM I never played them just never got me interested one of my friends I known is looking forward to the 3erd one has he loves the first 2 didn't no that the 2nd one really took like a step back.
    • I think some people would really look forward to a 3D Donkey Kong platformer. I personally would be pained by the very idea of a new one existing, but a not-small group of people like Donkey Kong 64. It has a lot of stuff to do, and... it sure is a really long game! :)

Zeldaisthebest!, would you prefer another 3D Donkey Kong for Switch where the main thing you're doing is playing minigames and collecting bananas? Or were you imagining a 3D game akin to Super Mario 3D Land?
    • Happy Person wrote:

I think some people would really look forward to a 3D Donkey Kong platformer. I personally would be pained by the very idea of a new one existing, but a not-small group of people like Donkey Kong 64. It has a lot of stuff to do, and... it sure is a really long game! :)

Zeldaisthebest!, would you prefer another 3D Donkey Kong for Switch where the main thing you're doing is playing minigames and collecting bananas? Or were you imagining a 3D game akin to Super Mario 3D Land?
      You didn't ask me, but I will answer anyway. I want a Donkey Kong 64 on steroids, in other words... bigger and prettier. That is pretty much all I want. The things I would like them to change and improve are smaller stuff, like better design how they scatter around the different bananas etc. Several different Kongs isn't necessary for me, but it makes a game of this type more complex, which is a key ingredient why I strongly liked DK64.

It would be such a letdown if an eventual 3D DK-game would be like Super Mario 3D Land/World... eew. The games are alright, but can't hold a candle to an open platformer like Super Mario 64 or Donkey Kong 64. Even Galaxies are superior to these games, and Galaxies aren't even in the same category as the more open platformers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• So for 2019 big Nintendo titles, we have:

- Fire Emblem Three Houses
      - Pokemon core RPG
      - Animal Crossing
      - Luigi's Mansion 3
      - Metroid Prime 4 (2019 not confirmed)
      - Bayonetta 3 (2019 not confirmed)

Unrevealed, yet has potential for 2019 and would be big:
      - Pikmin 4
      - Retro Studios game?
      - Zelda side project
      - Half-Life 3
      If all these come out, 2019 will be the best year for new Switch games imo
    • Yeah I think MHW was a pretty hard no, at least for the time being. If the rumors of a Switch+ in 2019 are true, that might open up the possibility to some new port options (if it's even a substantial hardware upgrade rather than just a redesign), but Capcom seemed pretty disinterested in bringing that game over.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • RealmWings wrote:

pretty sure that was a confirmed no

GregariousTree wrote:

Capcom seemed pretty disinterested in bringing that game over.
      And then Switch outsold PS4 in Japan and all the big companies had their wake-up call.

More games are coming to Switch. The question is just: which and how?
      Monster Hunter is a huge franchise and has done well on Nintendo handhelds. Maybe a totally new game is a safer bet, I just hope it incorporates the best of MHW.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• Happy Person wrote:

I think some people would really look forward to a 3D Donkey Kong platformer. I personally would be pained by the very idea of a new one existing, but a not-small group of people like Donkey Kong 64. It has a lot of stuff to do, and... it sure is a really long game! :)

I am not really sure like what kind of style for a 3d dk game I just think its time to do it again and I love dk so I would be down to see 3d dk to miss things up a little and than maybe after that we could go back to 2d for the next dk after that.

john_marston wrote:

So for 2019 big Nintendo titles, we have:

- Fire Emblem Three Houses
      - Pokemon core RPG
      - Animal Crossing
      - Luigi's Mansion 3
      - Metroid Prime 4 (2019 not confirmed)
      - Bayonetta 3 (2019 not confirmed)

Unrevealed, yet has potential for 2019 and would be big:
      - Pikmin 4
      - Retro Studios game?
      - Zelda side project
      - Half-Life 3
      If all these come out, 2019 will be the best year for new Switch games imo
      I think some of that will end up being 2020.