Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • The Game Awards are getting bigger, though they're still, honestly, more tacky than anything.

That said, I'd not be surprised by Prime getting an announcement there. Metroid has never been big in Japan, and the FPS crowd is who the awards cater hard to, and they're clearly willing to offer incentives for announcements to be made there rather than elsewhere.

It wouldn't make sense for a game that's coming out soon to be announced at them, they're too late in the year for that, but for something that's not coming out until the summer or fall? Sure.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • Before I went into this thread I was like:

And then I read this:

Vulpes wrote:

As someone who isn't interested in Smash Bros

Now I know that I am not alone anymore. I am really tired of all the Smash-hype, especially when it takes over completely in Directs and such. Sure it may be shitty of me since there is obviously a lot of people who likes/loves it... but I am a human after all. It comes to a point where it gets very annoying. The release of Smash can't come soon enough.

I don't know what it is, but I think Smash has became so "inflated" or "puffed up" in lack of better words. I liked it way more and it was more charming when it was its own "little thing" that just did what it was supposed to do at the N64- and GameCube-times. Now Sakurai tries to force in every character in existance, and has before given it single player story and what else. Sure Melee has its little story-mode of its own... but that can't be compared at all with the space emissary for example.

I don't know, I feel like an old man who don't like new "modern" things.

I think 2019 will be a much more interesting Switch-year for me personally.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• I agree about the Smash hype. It was cool when it came out, it was pretty cool when they expanded it for Melee. But since then I've been losing more and more interest in it. I too feel like its mostly fluff nowadays and I'm just not that into all the fluff. Another thing that I noticed about it is that its become a one-stop nostalgia hub full of references and "easter eggs" of popular games. I don't care about any of that either. There's plenty of merch out there and I can always play games I "miss."

Personally, I don't plan on buying the new one. The only reason I got Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U was the customisable options for fighters, and of course Field Smash; wished they put Smash Tour on the 3DS and the Field Smash on the Wii U though.... Anyways, they are doing neither in the new one; and no new feature really looks that compelling to me. I like what they've done with the Zelda-related characters, but really it isn't anything but minor tweaks to movesets and new skins.
    • I'm curious what you mean by "it's mostly fluff nowadays", since Smash is considered a very solid fighting game series by many.

I'd also debate that it's "become" a nostalgia hub, the point of Smash has always been to put as much Nintendo stuff into one title as possible and then, well, smash it all together.

No foul in not being excited, or with that sort of thing not being your jam, but I do confess that I'm a little puzzled about liking early Smash but not later because of those reasons.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • John wrote:

Oh, indeed, if it's not your thing then it's not your thing.

As I said, I just found it interesting that someone would like _Melee_ but think that later entries were too nostalgia-driven.
      Oh it wasn't aimed at you, just a general reply. If anything it was a reply to those that aren't into Smash.

Not sure about the nostalgia thing. Perhaps there's a perception that the amount of nostalgia-based fighters have increased among the newcomers? Which I actually dare say may have some truth to it, though I don't think it's a bad thing, and we're still getting new characters.

As time passes, more and more things from the Nintendo universe grow older anyway. Back when Smash 64 came out you only had Ness and Samus that didn't have their own games for the N64, as far as I know. Melee was the first to introduce characters that hadn't been seen in a long time like Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. And so forth.

My point being that the Nintendo universe has more nostalgia than it had back with the first game because that's just a result of it growing older while simultaneously producing more content. And because the Smash content has added up over time.

So yeah, hope my rambling makes some sense haha

The post was edited 3 times, last by ich Will ().

• I don't have a problem with people liking Smash Bros. or anything like that. But Nintendo seems to think that it can satisfy all of their fanbase all by itself. They need to understand that if you don't like Smash, then the last few months have been mostly a desert.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• I play Smash more as a party game than a fighting game. It's just a lot of fun to play as all these famous characters, to hear this gorgeous music playing and to see a diverse selection of stages.
      It does help that I like getting better at things. So the challenges will keep me entertained for a long time.

It's a shame that casual players don't really enjoy the game that much. I'd love to play this more with friends.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

Post by Vulpes ().

This post was deleted by Abyss Master: Disputing a mod note ().
    • Chloroform wrote:

MVS wrote:

What do you think of this? Looks pretty interesting not going to lie. But a little skeptical. Beautiful nontheless:
      It looks cute and a bit interesting but for some reason the trailer reminds me of Okami minus the aesthetics.
      Is that a good or bad thing according to you? I haven't played Okami so I don't have a real opinion, but from my understanding it is fairly liked by many.

From what it looks like, this is a game where you pretty much only runs around and find/discover things right? It doesn't look like there are any enemies/bosses and such. It is an indie game after all, I think I read that only one person made it... and that is pretty impressive if true. However I am not yet convinced though, especially not when there are a lot of other games that I plan to play.
    • MVS wrote:

Is that a good or bad thing according to you? I haven't played Okami so I don't have a real opinion, but from my understanding it is fairly liked by many.

From what it looks like, this is a game where you pretty much only runs around and find/discover things right? It doesn't look like there are any enemies/bosses and such. It is an indie game after all, I think I read that only one person made it... and that is pretty impressive if true. However I am not yet convinced though, especially not when there are a lot of other games that I plan to play.

Yeah that's true. I can't really give any kind of 'final verdicts' for this game since I havent played it myself but as far as the trailer goes it is no doubt beautiful and quite impressive if its done by a one man team. Though it does seem to look like a fox simulator type game to me and as you said, there are no boss (perhaps no enemies at all?) Im guessing its one of those cliche indie game which somehow tells a story but doesnt really have any kind of depth to it. This is a con in my book. The only appealing point which i cant rule out is that it is beautiful and that the protag is a fox. lol

It's hard not to make quick comparisons w/ its trailer to Okami because of the beast protag running around in beautiful aesthetics (except that Okami's protag is a white wolf). So as far as my first glance opinion on it goes, I felt like its trying to lure Okami fans by making the trailer w/ a similar feel as the latter? This is just my opinion tho, im p sure a lot still enjoyed it according to its Steam reviews and it is fairly cheap. Tho if you're thinking of buying the game and havent play Okami - i would just rec to buy the latter instead and youre sure to get your moneys worth. ^_^